[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was Nintendo right to not have a press conference, or is E3 really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (121 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
121 KB, 1920x1080
Was Nintendo right to not have a press conference, or is E3 really becoming irrelevant?
>>
The E3 is only irrelevant for Nintendo because they have nothing to show and its fans prefer the Direct.
>>
>biggest announcement was a Spider-Man game

You tell me.
>>
Nintendo had nothing new to show. Having a press conference would have made that more noticeable.
>>
Based on what metric is E3 becoming "irrelevant"? Because the only people I see who keep on bringing this up are Nintendo fans. It seems about as consistent popular for the past few years, if not more so.
>>
They showed up with just Zelda and blew out the show
>>
>>341373010
Man, it's gonna be fun when it's released and people realize it's not as amazing as they were hoping.
>>
>>341371413
They haven't had a real conference for a while and while I think the directs are a great idea they don't show off to the larger community and media which is just an absolutely stupid move.
While /v/ and other more involved players see E3 and think it's underwhelming for the most part the population/media at large absolutely love it and are really drawn into the hype. So Nintendo in the end is missing a lot of people.
>>
2 games.

TWO. GAMES.

Yes, they fucked up.
>>
>>341373369
Have you seen the lines just to play Zelda
>>
wouldn't it be worst if they had a conference talking about just Zelda?
>>
>>341373502
I'm sure it'll be good, but the notion of quality outweighing quantity this much is absurd.

It's a continuing bad trend at Nintendo where even if they release a good game, their release schedule is barren as all hell for weeks or months on end.

This right here is just taking it to an absolute extreme, where they only have one release.
>>
>>341373869
did you forget the games coming out this month
>>
Nintendo only wants to show things that are coming out in the coming year. So obviously they aren't going to have a shotgun of trailers like Sony.

E3 is literally just them coming out to show things so people don't yell at them for not showing up. Dedicating their time there to give details on the most hyped game they have is a smart strategy.
>>
>>341372363
This. E3 isn't becoming irrelevant, but Ninty made the right call, because you can't fill a Direct, let alone a full E3 presentation, with just two games.
>>
>>341373981
The only major thing on the radar is #FE, and that's filled with its own drama due to the abundance of bizarre and excessive censorship.
>>
File: e3ggoget.png (26 KB, 861x474) Image search: [Google]
e3ggoget.png
26 KB, 861x474
E3 is the biggest it's ever been and is only growing every year, so you can be assured anyone saying it's "dying" is a nintendo fanboy.
>>
>>341371413
E3 is slowly becoming irrelevant. Sony and Microsoft both proved that with their showing as well, and Nintendo can just host directs to tell people what they want.

E3 has lived its usefulness in this internet age, and the big 3 are aware professionals are hurting them more than helping them.
>>
Nintendo was right in not having a conference.
Nintendo was fucking wrong in having in it literally nothing but Zelda and Pokemon to show for. Not even a whiff of NX.
>>
>>341374293
Case in point
>>341374330
>>
>>341374467
>>341374330
Literally the only people saying it's irrelevant are Nintendo fans.
>>
>>341371413
why did you say or in there, both of them are the same thing. you're asking if they're right for not going there because e3 is irrelevant or if they were right for not going there because e3 is irrelevant
>>
They didn't have a conference because they don't have enough to show. They've already conceded 2016 because they're rebuilding the whole company starting with NX. No sense devoting 1.5 hours just for metroid fedora force and sticker star 2 to set youtube dislike records
>>
>>341374330
Oh nintendo fans, how long you guys will live in denial.
>>
>>341374293
It's because more people are into gaming. E3 is dying in the sense that it's becoming a casualized shitfest.

It used to be the place to reveal brand new stuff and amp up the hype, now it's just celebrities, console features that have nothing to do with games, and "reveals" of games that were announced months ago. E3 may not be dying out, but its spirit is definitely dying if not already dead.
>>
>>341371413

I don't think Nintendo really cares about E3

NX comes out early next year doesn't it? They have the perfect opportunity to show it off and they choose not too, what games is it gonna have, it has to have launch titles, does it even need launch titles or is it some weird addon to the Wii U

So many questions, chosen not to answer makes me think they don't care because they're gonna reveal all this info in a couple months anyway since they won't just toss it out with no info at all
>>
>>341373193
>Man, it's gonna be fun when it's released

Agreed.
>>
>>341374293
"why does E3 suck" is a part of your search results
>>
>>341374942
Oh fucking bullshit, there have been worse years for E3. This one wasn't a landmark event, but there wasn't anything outright terrible.

You fucking remember Kinectimals? Wii Music? Playstation Move?

There was a dark time during the late 2000s where E3 was consistently shit. The last few years haven't been bad.
>>
>>341373243
This.
For people who follows videogame news religiously like /v/ or your average videogame forum the E3 may not be anything special, but for most of the consumers the thing is OMG VIDEOGAME FESTIVAL.

On the other hand, given how Nintendo seems to focus on their niche audience, maybe they don't really need the E3 after all.
>>
Anyone want to tell me what good E3 is for?

If its to get information out, it gets leaked anyways.
If it is to show the public what they are working on, they can do that at half the cost without E3.
If it's a dick waving competition, I'm sure they can do that another way thats not E3.
>>
File: e3gogag.png (16 KB, 569x344) Image search: [Google]
e3gogag.png
16 KB, 569x344
>>341375216
Uh, no, it's not.
>>
>>341375260
Like, there was one E3 where the biggest thing to come out of a conference was Final Fantasy XIII coming to the 360.

I don't want to hear people saying E3 is getting consistently worse, cause it's just not true.
>>
This thread would be the exact opposite if Microsoft and Sony were the ones with a barren showing and Nintendo had tons of games (or trailers for future games).
>>
>>341375309
Making Nintendo look bad
>>
>>341375691
If two major companies, console manufacturers at that, dropped out of E3, then yes, I would think that would be grounds to talk about E3 becoming irrelevant.

Instead, Microsoft and Sony had huge conferences, tons of third parties had conferences. It was only Nintendo who was the odd duck.
>>
>>341371413
It's clear Nintendo has given up on the Wii U, they're now focusing on making games for the NX, and that's going to take time.
>>
>>341376065
Considering it's coming out in nine months, there's not a lot of time left.
>>
>>341375309
Promoting games, hardware and company direction.
>>
>>341376065
I think the question here is, why is Nintendo giving up on the WiiU?
Instead of releasing a new console, why don't they just pump the WiiU full of games?
>>
>>341371413
Nintendo's decision to not have a conference seemed to be based on both a desire to hold their NX cards close to their chest and a perceived overconfidence with the new Zelda. I said before E3 that they have to really wow people with Zelda, otherwise they shouldn't have bothered coming at all.

Turns out they were right to be confident in it, because the game looks pretty good
>>
>YWN see Iwata and Reggie duke it out again
Why live?
>>
>e3
>irrelevant

nintendorks dont actually think people are falling for their shitty meme, do they?
>>
>>341372363
>>341374120

>e3 isnt becoming irrelevant
>most game journos going there are caling it irrelevant now
>biggest announcement is a licensed game, a reboot, and a hd remake
>big companies pushing vr like its ever going to be a thing
>>
The Nioh model will eventually make E3 irrelevant, but for that to be a common thing is still years away.
>>
>>341372669
Based on a lot of big name publishers setting themselves up to do their own trade-shows and press conferences.

That being said. I have to say while they didn't outright blow everyone's minds. They didn't shit the bed either as it were.
>>
>>341377818
>most game journos going there are caling it irrelevant now

Who?

>biggest announcement is a licensed game, a reboot, and a hd remake

Opinions.

>big companies pushing vr like its ever going to be a thing

Companies have been 'pushing' things at E3 for years. Where have you been?
>>
>>341378457
Except now more than ever do we have third party companies showing up and having their own conferences. Years ago it was mostly just the big three. Now we've got people that Bethesda, Ubisoft, Square, EA, and a PC gaming showcase.
>>
>>341372669
In recent years E3 has died down. I think they switched some sort of management. There are a few articles from years ago. It never missed a year, but there was a year where every publisher indicated they were toning things down because it was costing too much.
>>
>>341378678
Yes, some odd half a decade ago there were talks of restructuring the show, and that did happen- E3 is a lot different from what it is now than say in 2006, but if you looked at how things were this year, and the year before that, this was not a 'toning down'.
>>
>>341378660
Pretty much the point I'm trying to make.

>>341378678
Gone are the days of public access, which is fine to an extent. Just kind of wish there was a separate public event or floor show.
>>
>>341379540
But these conferences are happening as part of E3, so that just bolsters the event.
>>
>>341378678
People on the floor are saying its been toned down a lot actually
a lot of empty space
>>
>>341379702
True. However, there's a couple of other shows that are pretty big that Nintendo can get involved in: Tokyo Game Show, and the GDC.

They also do multiple "fireside chats".
>>
>>341379987
When was the last time Nintendo has revealed something prominent at TGC?

When was the last time something prominent was revealed at TGC at all?
>>
>>341380186
My mind is a blur, but a lot of japanese companies and 3rd party developers tend to announce things during then.
>>
Nintendo's disregard of the E3 is pretty telling.
Conference like that one are a big business opportunity so you should make the most of them, instead of just treating them like "ugh, this event again".
>>
>>341371413
There's no point in having a conference to showcase games. The best conference was Sony's because they didn't have random celebrities and people unrelated to video games to come on stage and they just bombarded us with game trailers. At that point you might as well have a pre-recorded livestream followed by a stream of people playing the games.
>>
>>341371413

#4thepayers
>>
More like Nintendo is irrelevant.
>>
>>341371413
just like valve, sega and blizzard, they realized its better to avoid e3 meme fest
>>
>>341382584
You ever been to a Blizzcon?

It's the biggest memefest of them all.
>>
File: [HMMS EXTERNALLY].gif (1 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
[HMMS EXTERNALLY].gif
1 MB, 480x270
>>341378476
>Opinions
How is that an opinion? That is literally the majority of games shown this year. Sony especially hasn't shown a single thing truly new, since they blew their load on last year.
>>
>>341383081
Kojima's new game was first shown off, we have a release date for The Last Guardian, we have conformation the Scorpio happening. There were a lot of things that happened, you just picked the ones that came to your mind first.

Hence, opinions.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.