[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the hate for movie games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (157 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
157 KB, 1280x720
Well?

I really enjoy movie games like LoU, Tomb Raider, Uncharted. I also like more challenging games like the Souls games. Just because the game shoots for a story driven gameplay doesn't mean it's shit. Movie games can coexist with other games. I think the sales of Bloodborne and the Dark Souls prove that.

Why the hate? Is it to boast and pretend like you're not a casual?
>>
>i-i'm not casual, i p-play dark s-souls

what if i told you that souls-likes are becoming the newest cancer of the game industry alongside Uncharted style movie games and ubisoft-style open world games?
>>
>>341341818
How long until the movie game meme ends?

Cinematic experience died, sickdark died, and walking simulator sort of died. None of those made the board any better while they were active and this movie game shit sure isn't either.
>>
>>341343464
Well I also own and have beaten nearly every megaman game for NES and SNES. I just used Souls because they are currently selling well.
>>
>>341343464
>if it's popular it's cancer (:
>>
>>341344979
If everything copies it, therefore making the industry more monotonous, then yes it is cancer.
>>
They're perfect for when you're on a bender and you're too lazy to play a game but want to be entertained with some interaction.

So basically movie games are the same as masturbation.
>>
takes away from the concept of "game" as a whole

may as well just make a movie, itd probably sell better anyway. or maybe not? its not like the stories are particularly amazing anyway
>>
>>341346429
>If everything copies it
Good thing that's not happening.
>>
>>341341818
>I also like more challenging games like the Souls games.

kek. Those games really have been become a meme. Was your first console a PS2 op?
>>
>>341346429
Nobody copies these games because they usually require an enormous budget, thus not worth the risk for most companies.
I also like movie games OP, it's better than the "book games" we've had since forever.
>>
>>341341818

I'm a huge filmfag and I on average dislike movie games. It's not using the medium to it's strength, which is allowing the player to interact with what's happening. That and film does everything a "movie game" does and does it better. Video games still come across as B movies when they go full movie. That being said, I did like the last of us Because of it's video game segments
>>
Because movie games have shit gameplay because all these assets are used to make a fucking movie instead. Notice that every single movie game is a fucking 3rd person shooter because that requires the least amount of effort to code and design for. You can literally play the platforming sections in Uncharted 4 with one hand.
>>
>>341347868
>Notice that every single movie game is a fucking 3rd person shooter because that requires the least amount of effort to code and design for

this
>>
>>341346725
Yes it is. Dark Souls is a video game. Horizon: Zero Dawn and God of War are video games, too. See? They're copying Dark Souls.
>>
>>341341818
Because they would be better if they were just straight up movies. The heavy cutscenes and how they regularly take control away from the player breaks up the gameplay irritatingly.
It isn't using the medium to its strengths, which are allowing the player to manipulate the scene. Moviegames make you do something the way the game wants you to do it, and your reward for doing so is a cutscene in which you have no control.
>>
>>341347486
>It's not using the medium to it's strength,
This. Ten fucking times this.
>>
>>341341818
I wouldn't care if they kept the cinematic parts seperate and skippable. What really pisses me off are those scripted sequences that occur during gameplay time that show the protag in 'trouble', but you know fuck-all is going to happen to him. Like when Nathan Drake is climbing a ledge and it's scripted to fall and he yells 'No no no!' and you know nothing's gonna happen. That shit is fucking stupid. Movie games also tend to have really dumbed down mechanics and skill ceiling because they know that their target audience are casual idiots. They also tend to have really shitty replay value because the cinematic sequences or overly long boring segments of story exposition get in the way of real gameplay. This shit is unacceptable. Give me real-time unscripted gameplay and fuck off with that gimmicky shit - or at the very least keep it constrained to skippable cut scenes.
>>
>>341347486
The amount of time and energy you invest into a videogame makes everything that happens way more important. The emotional impact of the story has the potential to play your heartstrings in a way that a movie can't with its 2 hours of non interactive entertainment. I'm not bashing movies, i'm just saying that even though movies are better movies than moviegames, moviegames have the potential to carry alot more emotional weight and substance, which ultimately makes you care more about the characters and events.
>>
They remove the focus from the core gamer and focus on corporate interest. No real gamer ever asked for this movie experience. In fact, we do more complaining about it than gushing. It's literally shoved down our throats every quarter.
>>
>Cutscene
>Level
>Cutscene
>Level
>Etc
Has been the standard formula for games for ages. Why are games that do this suddenly getting called movie games?
>>
TLoU has a good story. Would have made a better TV show.

Good game but does not deserve 9 or 10/10s all around.
>>
>>341350197
>he emotional impact of the story has the potential to play your heartstrings in a way that a movie can't with its 2 hours of non interactive entertainment.

I would disagree. A strength of film is it's 100% the creators vision. From beginning to end you are seeing what the director wants you to see and more importantly at the pace he wants you to see it. Video games lack this, but whatever, opinion is opinion.
>>
File: can-stock-photo_csp3373141.jpg (29 KB, 450x349) Image search: [Google]
can-stock-photo_csp3373141.jpg
29 KB, 450x349
TLoU wasn't even a movie game, just had cutscenes in between each level, like almost every other game out there.

Quantic Dream/David Cage are the "movie games" that fail on being either movie or game. Same with that werewolf 1776 game or whatever recently came out for the PS4.

At worst, TLoU was a reskinned Uncharted.
>>
metal gear is the worst offender of this by a HUGE margin but /v/ is completely fine with it. MGSV had 5 hours of cutscenes and everyone constantly bitches that it wasn't enough and no one even talks about the phenomenal gameplay.
>>
>>341341818
>movie
>games
Choose one.
>>
>>341343464
Shut the fuck up you contrarian retard with no arguments. In fact you might as well kill yourself and shut up forever.
>>
>>341350460
Because the cutscenes are a little longer and take more focus than your traditional game I guess.
There's also this weird bitchy "why can't I control this?" thing.

The last time a game pissed me off by not letting me control a cutscene was Clear Sky when the bandits steal your shit. That's been about it.
>>
>>341351052
Yep. MGSV is by far the best game in the series and yet it's hated here because of
>muh deep story featuring naked fuccbois and funny references
>>
File: god of war is now a moviegame.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
god of war is now a moviegame.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
>>341350460
you're dumb, it's not the cutscenes are the problem. it's that the actual gameplay part of the game has little player input and is basically a cutscene.

old games
>cutscene ends
>gameplay begins

new (sony) games
>cutscene ends
>cinematic experience begins

even the combat of the new dad of war has been slowed, watered down, and turned into moviegame bullshit.
>>
>>341351052
MGSV has good fundamentals but poor scenario design. The missions are bland and repetitive, which is completely uncharacteristic for the series as a whole. Even MGS4, for all its faults, was never boring.

TLoU doesn't even have the benefit of excellent fundamentals and is a mediocre TPS with mediocre survival elements and dull scenario design.
>>
>>341341818
There's nothing wrong with them but it's not a super interesting way to tell a story in a game. Deus Ex did this shit way better than uncharted or TLoU, because the game reacts to you and the choices you make, and you feel like an actual part of the game world. That's something you only get in a video game.
>>
>>341346429
>a few companies make shit tier clones
>EVERYONE COPIES IT
>>
File: 1436631558892.jpg (136 KB, 730x1095) Image search: [Google]
1436631558892.jpg
136 KB, 730x1095
>>341341818
Because movie games involve pushing the control stick in a direction while people talk to you. This isn't inherintly bad, but it's gotten to the point where it's annoying and insulting that this style of game has taken such dominance over the industry, both triple A and indie. It's made even worse when these games are propped up as some artistic masterpiece for the medium when in reality it's undeserving of such praise. Overrating something leads to a counter movement of hating on it.
>>
>>341341818
I don't mind them but they're good for exactly one playthrough.
>>
>>341341818
People praise them as the second coming of jesus just look what happened when someone made a bad review of Uncharted 4 they tried to get it removed from Metacritic.

I don't mind story driven games I just hate third person shooters with shit platforming.
>>
BECAUSE THERE IS NO GAMEPLAY

The amount of player input is so minimal it's offensive. The level design is basic linear garbage. You sit through boring "gameplay" where you mash a button to cinematically open a door or lift a tree trunk or whatever.
>>
>>341351458
>kid runs into a bull moose
That boy should have been trampled on the spot. Also, the moose would know they were coming before they ever saw him since they are running through the woods which is loud and they surely smell like shit.
>>
>>341352583
That's an Elk you fuck.
>>
>Movie games

The memery continues.
>>
>>341341818
They call themselves video games. They market themselves to people who enjoy video games. That is the problem.
>>
>>341352651
Except a european elk is a moose, you utter failure of a human.
>>
>>341341818
because fuck you

i like games with gameplay, i find myself playing old platformers and indie shit because i dont have the time or energy to have my hand held while i listen to some shittty forced stoy every 10min between the glimpses of gameplay

fuck you and your aids that ruin my games
>>
>>341341818
>Why the hate for movie games?

Because video game writers are absolute shit-tier and because there is SJW pandering in your faggot pic related game.

Kill yourself, retard.
>>
because they're BORING

this video sums up moviegames perfectly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnlDwEZkidI
>>
i liked the walking dead from telltale. season2 was kind of boring compared to season 1 and i hope season 3 will be good
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.