[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is weapon durability a good mechanic? I always liked it and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 21-ae2806dc332.jpg (70 KB, 500x351) Image search: [Google]
21-ae2806dc332.jpg
70 KB, 500x351
Is weapon durability a good mechanic?

I always liked it and thinks it adds a good bit of depth.
>>
No, it's an awful obnoxious mechanic that adds no difficulty, only tedium.
>>
>>341289663
I find it extremely annoying.
>>
It's an enormous pain in the ass but it at least encourages you to try out different weapon types in games where that is meaningful (i.e. different movesets/abilities)
>>
Depends on how you do it
Dark Cloud 1 = shit
Dark Cloud 2 = good
Dark Cloud 3 = when?
>>
I like it.

But it doesn't make sense you have to repair shit every 5 minutes.

Case and point: Dead island games.
>>
File: 1464091530027.gif (382 KB, 392x500) Image search: [Google]
1464091530027.gif
382 KB, 392x500
>>341294126
>Dark Cloud 1 = shit
>>
i didnt mind it in morrowind/oblivion where it was low enough that it didn't tend to get in the way and you could repair on the move if you carried hammers/tongs
can't think of anywhere else that it wasn't a major pain in my ass
>>
>>341294716
>Liking the durability system in number 1
You're shit
>>
>>341295071
>being a casual
Equip a green powder if you're a pussy
>>
>>341295403
>Thinking that liking badly implemented game mechanics, which are imporved in the sequel, makes you hardcore
Hardcore retard maybe
>>
>>341295603
>badly
It punishes retardation.
Enemy is made of stone, better attack non stop XD
>>
No it fucking isn't. It's just a shallow and lazy way to add the illusion of depth, and is just a time wasting hassle otherwise.
>>
>>341294716
But the durability system in 1 WAS shit.
>>
>>341289663

Depends on implementation and game style.

I like the durability in FE because you had to be careful and think about things more. Silver weapons were great but only had around 20 uses. Iron weapons did a lot less damage but could be used a lot more in a fight. When you have to kill so many enemies, having your weapon break in the middle of it is terrifying.

So it forces you to think about your actions a bit more.
>>
Some weapons in previous games could break
>>
>>341289663
It depends on a number of things. Most importantly how it is implemented. Is it there to push the player to try new things? Or is it there just to punish the player? If all it does is punish its almost universally bad.

My favorite implementation of it was that unless you do something really stupid like smash a sword against a rock it was decently hard to flat break a weapon. But even then it was repairable. When degraded was mostly the sharpness of your blade and the enchantment on it. It was done perfectly so you could keep your favorite weapon if you grew attached to it but you could keep changing its enchantment like fire or ice as they wore out to update it to the new areas and their monster types.
>>
>Get the Master Sword
>It breaks 3 minutes later

WOW SO DEEP
>>
File: BeyondOasis.jpg (26 KB, 641x483) Image search: [Google]
BeyondOasis.jpg
26 KB, 641x483
I hated it as a kid, I hate it now.
>>
>>341289663
If there is a skill that causes set-ups for breaking your weapon as part of the strategy then I love it.

For example, the weapon breaking causing shards to damage the enemy/cause them to bleed
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.