[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Playing on hard >Pain in the ass trying to make it to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 15
>Playing on hard
>Pain in the ass trying to make it to room to open door
>Waste almost all of my supplies and flamer fuel
>Finally reach door, pull lever
>Have to reactivate generator
>Have to backtrack to room that i tried so hard to escape
>Lights go off
>Multiple aliens
>No ammo

Fuck you

I am starting to conflict with myself whether this game is scary or just frustrating as hell
>>
Played it 5 times on hard, 2 times on nightmare.
Ask me anything.
>>
>>341252674
>Ask me anything.
how long does it take to complete? say starting your first game on hard?
I have this game and started it with a friend at xmas but haven't played it since. got it on PS4 I want to see if I can platinum it.
>>
>>341253019
First time players are probably gonna need at least 10 hours for the completion of the game. Probably more like 15 hours.

Keep in mind that this number varies greatly from player to player. AI is a lot about the player pacing themselves, so some just may take their time. You can also get lost in the game's setting, considering it has a quasi-Metroidvania-level design to it. Last but not least, if you wanna 100% it by collecting all data logs, you gonna have to do much more backtracking.
>>
File: 638751987419.png (16 KB, 865x74) Image search: [Google]
638751987419.png
16 KB, 865x74
took me 29 hours
it was fun
>>
Forgot I had bought this game so I'm installing it now
What are the differences between the difficulty levels and am I in for a good time?
>>
>>341253736
The difficulty selection screen will tell you that developer's recommended setting is 'hard', so you should at least go with that. Don't worry that you'll be in over your head. It's a horror game, you're supposed to feel threatened.

Going nightmare on the first run may be a little hard. It's a difficulty mode that was later added via free DLC.

The differences between the difficulty modes lay within the artifical intelligence displayed by enemies, especially the alien, and the frequency of ammunition and loot found in the environment. I may forget something though as I always only played hard or nightmare. On nightmare, btw, your motion tracker is broken. It still works, but it's glitchy and less reliable.
>>
>>341254081
On a scale from 1 to 10, how spooky is the game?
>>
>>341254674
That's hard to say, because ultimately "scaryness" is objective. Additionally, if you do not immerse yourself into the experience and suspend your disbelief, no game will be able to spook you.

But considering that AI's main intention is to be a video game successor to the original ALIEN movie, which I found to be quite spooky, and seeing how the core gameplay elements of AI all focus on getting the player to piss their pants, I'd say it's at least an 8 out of 10.

Don't except a sudden, short-lived moment of horror, such as during the startling moment of a jump-scare. Except long, creepy, atmospheric periods of dread and fear. AI can be quite stressfull.
>>
File: 1460411741747.jpg (114 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1460411741747.jpg
114 KB, 640x640
>>341255057
>Except long, creepy, atmospheric periods of dread and fear. AI can be quite stressfull.
Neat. That's the best kind of fear.
I'm excited to play it and get spooked now
>>
>>341255537
Bring time. The "introduction" to the game can take up to an hour, with no alien (but some spooky world-building) in sight. So don't be surprised if the games takes its time before going. Also, even though I love the game, I must admit that it can have horrible pacing at times. So just stick to it and you'll have one spoopy adventure.
>>
>>341255698
Yeah, I've heard that the game drags on in places
>>
>hide in closet
>scared, paranoid people walk by
>all of a sudden a dude runs towards his group screaming for help
>alien is right behind him
>screams and gunshots just out of sight, then silence
>alien walks past my closet, stops and looks right at me
>hold breath
>he moves on

Fuck that was so intense, I don't think I've ever felt closer to being immersed in a game/movie than that moment.
>>
this game is so underrated
>>
>>341257957
Only by /v/, it got great reviews most everywhere else. The atmosphere is second to none, probably the best movie to game world transition I've ever seen.
>>
File: ayy.jpg (16 KB, 500x378) Image search: [Google]
ayy.jpg
16 KB, 500x378
>>341257592
install the unpredictable alien ai mod.
the fact that he went to your closet is because the AI is made so it changes behavior so it looks in the closet your in.
With unpredictable ai it can on random just decide to look in a closet or a cabin on a hunch.
Not only that, but he can decide the nope the fuck away then stop look back then continue on his way,
only to get rushing back in for a quick view into teh room, then nope away again.

Webm related, I was in the closet because I was talking to a friend and while
I was in there the alien goofed around, ran, sneaked,
and down right stood still just looking then back away a few steps,
then turn around for no reason as if he felt someone behind him.
Fast forward I pick up hte controller and decides to look out and sees this.
https://r.kyaa.sg/wpathi.webm
>>
>>341258193
Even critics underrated it a little I believe, it ranges 78-81 on metacritic depending on platform. I'd say it's deserving of an overall 90 or so. It's the best horror game since Silent Hill 2 and I even adored Penumbra and others that have come out since. The only issue I have with it is pacing, which can admittedly be a little frustrating, but the horror and gameplay elements are all absolutely top notch, the graphics are stellar, the optimization is close to black magic wizardry, and so on. I honestly cannot believe Creative Assembly made it, out of any developer who could have done a horror game. It's genuinely become one of my absolute favorite horror games, I'm sure it's destined to live on as a cult classic.
>>
If only it was open enough so people could publish user made Survival maps.
The survival mode has been a defibrillator for the game and it's faster paced starts makes it a good game for short sessions as well since story mode kinda needs you to sit an hour or more to get into the mood and feel.
>>
>>341259074
>optimization

Seriously, I have a 6+ year old gtx 560 448 ti with an equally old i5, and I could max the game out at 1920x1080. It was amazing.
>>341258818
That sounds intense, might try it.

Also, just fuck med/sci in general.
>>
File: 1415008785957.jpg (91 KB, 719x538) Image search: [Google]
1415008785957.jpg
91 KB, 719x538
>>341258818
>unpredictable alien ai mod

fuck looks like its time to replay the game then
>>
>>341258818
Should I download the mod for my first playthrough?
>>
>>341253736

The harder the difficulty, the more random the alien becomes.

Also, it stays on the ground longer on harder difficulties, and not creeping around in the vents, meaning you have to avoid is as opposed to not triggering it.

I completed this the other day. Played on Hard for my first time. Was definitely worth it.

>>341253019

35 hours for me to complete for the first time. Played on Hard.
>>
File: ooooh (2).webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
ooooh (2).webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>341259990
Also, if you're like me, playing with a Playstation controller.
Use this: http://www.moddb.com/mods/alienisolationpsbuttons/addons/playstation-buttons-ui-mod

It's one of those games I enjoy with a controller even though I hate FPS with controllers.
The analogs is a must imo for the peeking and slow movements.
>>341260425
I would.
I just reinstalled it a couple of days ago and decided to replay it.
It kinda messes up some areas where the alien is meant to be on your toes all the time.
But instead it can just ignore that and come when he shouldn't instead.

>>341260226
Tut tut
>>
>>341260645
So the mod essentially just removes the "leash" on the alien?
>>
File: surprise.webm (3 MB, 960x504) Image search: [Google]
surprise.webm
3 MB, 960x504
>>341260864
It kinda extends it rather.
It still can't override the ai behavior where only bots should spawn for instance, but when it's possible for it to spawn it will, just less scripted.

old:
Hide in cabin/lockers - > instant search mode behavior

new:
Hide in cabin/lockers - > unless certain you're in there it might not even look in your lockers direction.
>>
>>341261208
Nice.
I'll definitely grab it, then
>>
File: 1421011527324.jpg (11 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
1421011527324.jpg
11 KB, 184x184
This game has an AI programmed for spoopy moments but sometimes it ends up being stupid as fuck instead.

> alien is nowhere
> hide in a locker
> alien spawns, heads straight to you and checks your locker
>>
>>341251584
Well I'm not wondering anymore.
Frustrating as hell. The one shot gimmick and the teleporting alien are awful.
>>
File: ouch.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ouch.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>341261330
https://r.kyaa.sg/fnltwo.webm
Thought I didn't know you where hiding there? guess again!.webm

>>341261480
Unpredictable ai removes that rubberband behavior.
>>
I get how Hard modes change the alien, but what about the Synth?
>>
>>341261645
It makes it look like the Alien is luring you into a false sense of security.
>>
>>341251584
Beat the game on normal so you know what to do for the missions

Nightmare is best played when you move fast and you know what you're doing, waiting and playing carefully is just a good way to get into situations where the alien has you cornered and you end up wasting all your time waiting. I found the best solution was doing a hard sprint between objectives using flares to direct the alien to parts of the map I no longer needed to use and use the flamer fuel for long sprints when I know I need to backtrack
>>
File: impatient whore Lambert.webm (3 MB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
impatient whore Lambert.webm
3 MB, 800x450
>>341261869
You're never safe. Unless you lure it into red door you close later in the game, you can also lure a synthetic at the same time into it.

https://r.kyaa.sg/mtidhz.webm
>>
>>341261480
>Duck into a locker to eat some potato salad irl
>Alien instantly drops out of the roof into the room
>walks up to the locker
>I do the hold breath lean back thing
>alien leaves, i hold that shit until im about to hit the time limit
>stop holding my breath, alien instantly blasts the door open and fucks me
>this happens literally every time

why does the breath hold and lean back mechanic even exist the alien pretends to leave and instant kills me every time, playing on normal, happened now every time the alien check my locker
>>
>>341253019
I used 16 hours on normal difficulty
>>
File: easymode.png (215 KB, 600x455) Image search: [Google]
easymode.png
215 KB, 600x455
>>341262118
I started on Hard, and noticed that med bay was never really lit up like on others pictures/webms, then I realized, they all played on EASY MODE
>>
The game is a 10/10 for the first 5 or so hours. Basically up until you get the flame thrower.
>>
>>341251584
Hard node was easy as fuck. The game was so easy that they added a real hard mode. Quit sucking at video games.
>>
>>341262423
>happens literally every time

It shouldn't, so you're clearly doing something wrong. You only need to hold your breath when it leads in really close to your locker.
>>
>>341262423
Don't breathe on his shoulder.
Hold it in longer.
>>
>>341251584
In Hard mode the game is just frustrating.

The game is, oddly enough, scariest in easy mode. Because the alien doesn't hound you every second, you have time to calm down and get re-scared again; rather than just being pent up the whole time.
>>
I can't believe how well this actually runs on my old brick with Vista
Film grain on or off? Can't decide
>>
>>341262613
>>341262632
Yeah so I do that, he leaves the locker, whether I release the breath then or wait until the max time, he always pops straight back.
>>
>>341251584
>I am starting to conflict with myself
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>341262793
Wait until he leaves the room? He probably can hear you exhale if he's still in the same room. I dunno man, I played the whole game on hard and it only happened a couple of times at most.
>>
>>341262751
film grain makes it seem more like the movie
>>
>>341262693
I found hard mode to just be at the border to frustrating without getting actually frustating. But then again, I enjoy "frustrating" games, so I might have a higher tolerance in that regard.
>>
>>341262793
gonna force him into looking into my locker room
>>
>>341263694
okay, that led into some interesting results.
>>
https://r.kyaa.sg/pbbipw.webm
>>
File: blueballs.gif (1 MB, 350x197) Image search: [Google]
blueballs.gif
1 MB, 350x197
>>341251584
I loved this game.-

Its kinda crazy how much the difficulty ramps up in the hospital section and how much it gets toned down after that though.

Fuck, gonna go play sum survival mode
>>
>>341261208
What a waste of ammo
>>
>>341267094
Get all the DLCs
>>
>>341267313
I already have them. (Not the story ones, dont care much)
>>
>>341267094
>gonna go play sum survival mode

Is that actually any good?
>>
>>341268458
Its basically new maps to play around, less resources, etc...

If you liked the core gameplay its worth it yeah
>>
does anyone have the IGN review for this that said the game was too hard and the ayylmao was too unpredictable as a bad point?
>>
>>341251584
you sound like trash tbqh
>>
File: 1463091133870.png (126 KB, 465x395) Image search: [Google]
1463091133870.png
126 KB, 465x395
>>341269079
http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/10/03/alien-isolation-review

>And in hindsight, playing on Hard difficulty – which I only did because Isolation actually describes it as “the recommended way to experience the game” – was a terrible decision. It means the Xenomorph can get you anywhere at any time, giving you no opportunity to avoid death, and run you down if it hears so much as a pin drop. Sure, a flamethrower blast or Molotov cocktail can ward it off for a moment, but alien-repelling resources are extremely scarce. Don’t make the same mistake I did.

>It’s a shame that Isolation doesn’t track stats, because I’d be curious to know how many of its roughly 15-20 hours I spent hiding in lockers, staring at the motion tracker, and, most of all, how many hundreds (yes, hundreds) of times I died without a chance to save myself.
>>
>>341269259
What an embarrassing review.
>>
File: 347cgnr.png (62 KB, 188x157) Image search: [Google]
347cgnr.png
62 KB, 188x157
>>341270514
Almost as bad as Gamespot's Paper Mario TTYD review back in 04 which can essentially be summarised as pic related, which I imagine was a reference to it.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.