[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Name a single FPS/TPS game with better rain effects.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7
File: Rain.webm (2 MB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
Rain.webm
2 MB, 1024x576
That's right. You can't. Based Crytek. Based Free Radical. We are not worthy.
>>
Didn't the first level of Crysis 3 have really incredible rain as well?

Main, rain is so immensely underutilized in games, I always get hyped when it rains in Orion Prelude, the atmosphere is top notch.
>>
>>341215107
That's just an animated texture/decal you fuck.
I can't believe people fall for this.
>>
>>341215107
What game is this and how is this effect possible?
>>
>>341215519
Fall for what?
>>
>>341215575
Looks like that shitty new Red Dawn game.
>>
>>341215519
>That's just an animated texture/decal you fuck.
Of course it's an animated texture. If you ALT+TAB, the surfaces reset But while it's a trick, it's a beautiful trick that curb stomps every other game. Even GTA V looks like shit compared.

When it starts raining, there is a smooth transition from dry to wet. This affects everything from the ground to tables. Building interiors stay dry, but raindrops wet the doorways and under windows and under holes in the ceiling. Once the surfaces are wet, puddles form. When it stops raining, the puddles start to dry out in the sun. It takes a while. These puddles are reflective, incidentally.

Other games just magically transition the ground from wet to dry. Like, one moment the ground is dry, and then the next it's glossy. It looks utterly retarded, and it's baffling that basically every other dev beside Crytek is too lazy/don't give a shit to animate a wet surface texture.
>>
>>341215575
Homefront: The Revolution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yCCyhZeMGk

Made possible by Crytek magic, anon. Basically, though, it's just a much more advanced version of the wet surface system from the Crytek games paired with a dynamic weather system.

Meanwhile, people are literally trying to give Naughty Dog blowjobs because when you shoot a rock, smaller rocks slide down the hill.
>>
>>341215107
Your clothes also get wet, but I suspect the effect might be slightly bugged. Basically, you can see raindrops wetting your jeans, and then your gloves and jacket are visibly wet. But sometimes you're standing in the rain and your clothes look fine.
>>
File: FFXII (2005).jpg (598 KB, 2880x1620) Image search: [Google]
FFXII (2005).jpg
598 KB, 2880x1620
>>341215519
I'm pretty sure everyone in this thread understands it's just a simple animation, I think OP was impressed at the attention to detail the developer's used. When a dev puts a great amount of effort in attention to detail, the result is fantastic even if the graphics aren't cutting edge at the time.
>>
File: 1456151569006.jpg (23 KB, 621x569) Image search: [Google]
1456151569006.jpg
23 KB, 621x569
>>341215519
>>
File: 1464158913074.jpg (45 KB, 768x576) Image search: [Google]
1464158913074.jpg
45 KB, 768x576
For all the hate it seemed to brew I enjoyed this game. It is nothing revolutionary but it has heart and it kept me along for the entire ride. I wish it ran a little better when I first picked it up but I think with a few patches and driver updates it will be worth another run. Given a fresh start this team could probably put together a really great game.

[spoilers]Plus the Timesplitter levels were a ton of fun. I sincerely hope they work on re releasing them across all the current platforms available.[/spoilers]
>>
>>341215519
Did you know that raindrops in games aren't literally rain drops made from water? Did you know they're just 2D elements with a shitload of shaders on top? Wow, I can't believe any person was ever impressed by wet weather effects in any game ever.

And don't get me started on how faces in videogames aren't made of actual human skin, but are rather a TEXTURE laid over POLYGONS with fake SKIN LIGHT SCATTERING.
>>
>>341215107
it's kind of sad how much this game got shit on just for trying to play with the big boys
the game itself isn't much worse than the last couple of farcry games
>>
File: GET PIPED.jpg (961 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
GET PIPED.jpg
961 KB, 2048x1152
>>341216826
>It is nothing revolutionary but it has heart and it kept me along for the entire ride
Oh man, I felt the exact same way about Mars War Logs, that game had so much heart. It's unfortunate that it released in 2013 looking like a 2009 title, because it had damn good storytelling and lore.
>>
>>341216826
I'm quite happy with the game on PC, although I've warned my friends to wait for the 1.5 patch before they buy it because of the nasty Hearts and Minds bug.

They really need to work on console performance, though. I know it's easy to point out that modern consoles are underpowered pieces of junk, but if the devs have to they should just butcher the visuals on consoles to get a stable framerate and leave the PC version as the "premium" version. (Although some performance improvements on PC would be nice, too.)
>>
File: wink.gif (2 MB, 300x222) Image search: [Google]
wink.gif
2 MB, 300x222
>>341217287

It was interesting to see them try to match one of their highest PC visuals but clearly it had a drawback and really hampered the PS4 version in particular. I'm still very new to PC and trying to figure out what games are affected by certain cards but I had a okay time on it. I just had to scale back some of the more intensive setting.

They'll do it though, optimize the game, and in comparison their game looks amazing and runs far better then the other Cryengine title released on consoles. Shame about that game too because it was a stellar and fun PC game a year or so back.
>>
>>341216826
>Plus the Timesplitter levels were a ton of fun. I sincerely hope they work on re releasing them across all the current platforms available.
I believe the TimeSplitters stuff is legally complex. Apparently when Crytek sold Homefront to Deep Silver, all assets were included in the deal. So Dambuster don't own TimeSplitters despite being the original dev team, only this particular port and its assets. They'd have to work out a deal with Crytek if they were ever going to do anything there.

>>341217265
>>341217029
It's quite sad, but these days, there's a lot of hate for smaller games that try to be ambitious. Ubisoft have hundreds of developers working in dozens of countries for 3-5 years to make games like Far Cry and Watch_Dogs.

To try and make an open world FPS games with a small team is a very difficult task. Corners have to be cut. You can't expect the same level of crazy polish as Ubisoft games. These teams just don't have the money or resources to pull that off.

It's a cliche example, but if Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl were released in 2016, it would get absolutely assfucked by the internet. Every Youtuber would be rushing to release a video shitting on the game, calling it "unplayable" and all that. Some reviewers would give it moderately good reviews, others deeply mediocre, while a handful 1/10 worst game ever stuff.

I mean, imagine releasing VTMB in 2016. A game with broken AI, broken quests, shitty gunplay, and so many bugs. So many, many bugs.

I hate bugs, especially game breaking ones, but it pains me to see how games have moved into being seen as a PRODUCT. If a game has some flaws, and is similar to another game, people will say, "Why would you buy this INFERIOR PRODUCT?" Aka, why would you buy STALKER when you could buy the UNIVERSALLY ACCLAIMED, Fallout 3? Why would you buy Witcher when you could buy Skyrim? And so on.

But notice how Witcher 3 launched with bugs out the ass and still managed to win all the GOTY awards?
>>
>>341216232
A shame the game didn't do too well. On a technical level it's good
>>
>>341215519
apparently less is more sometimes and other devs are too dumb to figure this out
>>
>>341215107
Crytek is still in business?
>>
>>341218716
I'm hoping the game manages to garner a fanbase on PC when it goes and sale, and also when the campaign DLC starts coming out. There's supposedly two smaller DLCs coming in 2016, and a massive one coming in 2017 called "Beyond the Walls". If they take some of the criticism of the base game to heart, they could craft an expansion that surpasses the main game, kinda like Burial at Sea, or The Following.

Not delaying the game for bug fixing was a mistake. The chuggy console versions were a mistake. Changing the game from linear to open world midway through development was probably a mistake in retrospect because in the space of 2 years or so, open world design has become unfashionable on the internet and everyone wants linear games again. Crytek had no way of knowing this back in 2014, though.
>>
>>341218963
>Crytek is still in business?
Yes. Their lead graphics engineer works for iD Software now, and they've downsized heavily. Homefront is by Free Radical/Crytek UK/Dambuster Studios. A year or two back, Crytek sold the Homefront IP to Deep Silver to stave off financial collapse, and Deep Silver re-hired Crytek UK's staff and called them Dambuster. They're now an in-house dev for Deep Silver just like Volition. That's why Volition were the QA team for Homefront. You'll probably find Dambuster doing some work on Agents of Destruction, too.
>>
>>341218716
>On a technical level it's good
It's got some weird paradoxes. God-tier character models paired with some janky animation in places, for example. Random NPCs having lovingly animated BBQs where they flip invisible meat on a grill while ocassionally taking a swig from a can of beer.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.