[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How can you justify some of the mechanics in this game? They
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: maxresdefault.jpg (201 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
201 KB, 1920x1080
How can you justify some of the mechanics in this game? They seem so arbitrary. I hate using the term artificial difficulty, but I can't think of any other way to describe them.

>stagger system where many normals on CH (or on regular hit) put the opponent in a state to where if they do not mash like crazy immediately they can be hit by command grabs and huge damage combos

What's the point? Why not just make these moves really plus on hit? Stuff like this was cool fifteen years when you were at some random arcade and there was still novelty to pressing the buttons, but it is completely pointless today. It forces you to constantly mash shit or else you get hit by huge damage. Pros will mash out of it 90% of the time and completely avoid taking free damage. It's just a pointless entry hurdle and it forces you to mash like an idiot. It's even more stupid than having to mash to increase damage of your supers. Imagine if you had to mash to decrease the damage of all throws and supers enemies did to you.

>jump install
Once again what's the point? Why have a mechanical rule in the game that you cannot double jump after a high jump (for most characters) just to leave an exploit from the older games that lets you do so? Worse still, why even make it require some special input?

>you need to mash to air recover
Why not just let people hold a button and direction? A huge part of Xrd's game is baiting recovery and anticipating when and where people will recover. Due to this just holding the button down wouldn't always be preferred. You need to make sure you are in control when recovering so why design a mechanic that encourages you to press buttons constantly? People wouldn't always hold a button down as they may want to delay recovery.

I love Xrd, but a big reason why this game just can't get bigger is because it is full of these arbitrary hurdles that do not make the game any deeper. Someone trying to learn the game will be bombarded by shitty cluttered mechanics
>>
>>341214834
>jump install
Very few characters use it, why do you complain? You'll never be gud enough so you'll never need to learn those combos.

You better complain about Danger Time honestly.
>>
>>341214834
Welcome to the world of anime air dash fighters. Retarded systems, every character is a gimmick character, nonsensical mechanics piled on top of each other and air dashing around so you can plink out large combos that do shit damage thanks to scaling.
>>
>>341214834

If you just held the button to recover, people can just option select FD recover for absolutely no drawback.

Danger time is shit tho
>>
>>341214834
While I like the game, I agree with your points, though I've been lucky to avoid needing jump install.
>>
>>341214834
>jump install
>a hurdle
Yeah, one so far into the game most people won't even reach it.

The mashing shit is dumb though, I remember BBCT having that for Jin's ice which luckily got removed.
>>
>>341216291

But yknow isnt that the whole point? Recovering without drawback shouldnt be a problem since the game is already okizeme city, and the addition of mashing to recover then eating a CH isnt exactly skill on the part of the guy doing the setups. Like even if you air recovered FD you can still be air grabbed anyway if they anticipated the recovery
>>
Why are rushdown players such shitters?
>Danger Time
>>
OP is a retard SFV babby
>>
>>341214834
I agree with you when it comes to mashing out of stagger and dizzy. I've never liked those in any Guilty Gear. As a dirty pad player I find them incredibly hard to mash out of. On stick you can piano your buttons easily and I'd even argue that shaking the stick is faster as well. I can't even shake out of Slayer's bite "loops" or dizzy to instant kill.
>>
>>341218496

To be fair, everyone in this game is rushdown. The nearest zoner/defensive character here is Jack-O and to some extent Axl
>>
>>341215789
>having unique characters is bad thing!
>>
>>341216291
Doesn't Blazblue's air tech work like that? Seems reasonable to me.
>>
>>341216291
Obviously the game would be adjusted. Most games let you be invul on tech but can do anything until you hit the ground.

>OS FD

What are you even talking about
>>
File: 1463666071776.png (304 KB, 640x287) Image search: [Google]
1463666071776.png
304 KB, 640x287
jump installs are in because they dont want you to be able to high jump and have a second jump, having the glitch makes characters like chipp a bit stronger because now they have access to slightly better confirms than they would in their high jump combos without changing their neutral when highjump is accounted for.

Stagger is so that some moves potentially have a better reward in a middling level of play and thats really it. though for some moves that stagger your solution wouldnt really work(bloodsucking universe and high blocked leo BT 214H come to mind) because of the fact that they arent really + on hit, but if you arent ready to mash out of it you are going to be punished.

technically you dont need to mash to recover as well, its just a old way of recovering that arcsys decided worked better for GG with higher execution and all that. its not like games like sf dont have very similar concepts like air teching in sf3 being the same execution and quick rise in sf3/5 being 3 buttons on kd. I do think the game wouldnt change that much, it would be easier to tech out of odd confirms and a lot of bedman stuff. also that idiot talking about FD OS is retarded, everyone worth their shit just techs holding one button and tapping another so they get FD asap if they are afraid of an anti air on back tech.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.