[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I unironically believe that indies are the future of videogames.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: 11111.jpg (92 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
11111.jpg
92 KB, 640x360
I unironically believe that indies are the future of videogames.

No sensible person wants this AAA schlock shoved down their throats anymore. People flocked to Shovel Knight, people flocked to Shantae, people flocked to the CONCEPT of Mighty No. 9 before it was outed as shit, they threw literal millions at it. People are flocking to Yooka Laylee. It's very obvious there is an alive and well market in the games industry that's fed up with how homogenized the mainstream has become and they want that homebrewed creativity and heart in their games again, they want that same sort of caliber of games that we once had in the golden age from the 4th generation to the 6th generation.

Sure, plenty of indies are flops or cash grabs, but even some of the more obscure titles you can find offer promise. People are digging Subnautica, Hyper Light Drifter, and I saw this one cool indie floating around called Futuridium that I might pick up soon. Indies are a flourishing little niche well of creativity and old-fashioned design philosophies that intrigues me more and more. For the life of me, I don't know why /v/ hates indie devs so much, surely you guys can't be such oblivious shills.

Also, I'm interested in breaking into this market. I know jack shit about programming or how to go about making a game, so assume I'm a complete retard in every regard when it comes to making a videogame. If I were to begin a shitty little project that barely classifies as playable, and then work my way up to help wedge myself into the scene, where would I start? All advice is appreciated.
>>
I agree. Yooka Laylee in particular looks as if it could be a genuine big name platformer in this day and age.

I think there's a very real market for relatively low budget games like this, and I really wish I had the business sense to start my own company and exploit it And make my dream game, an RPG beat em up about two guys who want to teach the world about the wonders of being FIT.
>>
>/agdg/
No, seriously. You don't even have to interact with anybody, just use their resources, see what they're doing wrong, see what they're doing right.
>>
>>341203674
PRESS X TO SQUATS
PRESS O TO OATS

Seriously though, it sounds like an interesting premise for a game and a lot of ways to implement some novel mechanics
>>
This is how I've felt for a long while now. I don't care as much for what the big companies are doing, but get more interested when indie games get some time to show off. The realization hit me extra hard when my 2015 GOTY ended up being an indie game.
>>
Welcome to 2008 or so.
>>
>>341204216
Oh yeah, I have lots of great ideas.

Like the fact that your characters are actually from the future, and have come back to stop the rise of an evil corporation that profits off of lazy behavior and unhealthy lifestyles. I'm imagining something like River City Ransom, with a bigger focus on NPC interactions, helping different people live healthier, happier lives. Like I'm thinking of a quest that involves some young guy hiring you to get his Dad to lose some weight. The thing is, he's kind of old and does not have the energy to work as hard as he could have if he had started younger. If you convince him to stick with his program, he'll lose weight. If not.... he'll die, and the son will be devastated.

I just don't know where to begin with actually making something like this either.
>>
>>341205994
Setting ideas are not fucking game ideas. Try writing instead.
>>
>>341203165
>Guacameme
Nice future faggot.
>>
>>341203674
Set it in the Victorian Era, let me learn to be fit from Eugen Sandow.
>>
>>341205994
>I just don't know where to begin with actually making something like this either.
RPGmaker seems the obvious first port to set a framework down and see how functional your ideas are. Whether you stick with it or not is up to you.

Perhaps incorporate the exercise aspect into the actual gameplay mechanics. Use squats as a method to buff speed during battles or something similar, not doing regular exercise weakens your characters or over-reliance on food health items makes them larger.
>>
>>341206303
I am a novelist, actually. I just want to try my hand at other things.

But I just wanted to make a simple little beat em up game.
>>
>>341203674
Quick time meal prep events
>>
File: yooka-layle cover.jpg_large.jpg (136 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
yooka-layle cover.jpg_large.jpg
136 KB, 1280x720
>Shovel Knight
>no man sky
>yooka layle
BUT
>Mighty no 9
I can agree with you. the Indie side is made of a lot of people who dont care that much if the game doesnt sell big,they just want to make the best out of old and new ideas. Not saying that AAA stuff is totally bad,more like its made to get money first.
>>
>Nobody wants AAA schlock shoved down their throats anymore.
Correct.
>homogenized mainstream
Also correct.
>4th to 6th gen glory
This is subject to opinion, but I agree overall.
>I don't know why /v/ hates indie devs so much
Well, this is a mixed bag. First and foremost, /v/ is not one person, a vocal minority hates indie devs and as one knows, the loudest are usually the most retarded, making up ~20% of the human population.

>last paragraph
4chan's /vg/ board, /agdg/, have fun.
Overall, I agree. Indies, while a horribly mixed bag, have a variety of niche/quality games among them and give rise and promise for so much more.
Although they get a ton of flak, the best recent interpretations of a "great, niche Indie game" go to The Witness and Enter the Gungeon, Last I checked, the latter qualifies as Indie despite being tied to Devolver Digital.
They appeal to a relatively small number of people, face much controversy over their game design, quality, content, whatever. And they always appeal WELL to the group that likes them, not something a wide variety of people can like, like most games nowadays.
However, this doesn't fault those wide appeal games, since they can be good too, just not as "FUCKING PERFECT" to that select group of diehards and the like.

Great thread, thanks for your blurb, OP.
>>
>>341207885
Mighty No 9 is failing exactly because it's an indie game made with a AAA mindset still.
>>
>>341208068
I figured it was failing because they're spreading themselves too thin, both across their various media (cartoon, movie, etc.) and platforms (the latter of which, even inafune admits was a detriment to the overall game).
I mean, hell, we even have build comparison pics and even the explosions didn't look like pepperoni pizza.
The worst part is that he still plans to go through with the other media projects and to paraphrase his own words "even if it doesn't sell well". I mean, I think he's fucking lost it.
>>
>>341203165
No binding of isaac
my favorite indie title.
>>
>>341208487
That guy's desperate for a new cashcow.

Kamiya was right.
>>
>>341203165
>If I were to begin a shitty little project that barely classifies as playable, and then work my way up to help wedge myself into the scene, where would I start? All advice is appreciated.

start with programming. learn to code.
pick a major programming language and get going. i personally recommend java because it is piss-easy to learn and use.

here's a tutorial on java programming for complete beginners:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLv6UtFrA7VEu4PtzJaGHHSeZBi6mdJtwv

once you know the basics, start doing this - it's a step-by-step tutorial on basic 2D game programming. very easy, and it showcases a LOT of the fundamentals of game programming.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLah6faXAgguMnTBs3JnEJY0shAc18XYQZ
>>
>>341203165
Quit playing shitty Western AAA games, there's your problem. Japan is still putting out great games alongside smaller Western ones.
>>
>>341203165
For making a game, >>>/vg/agdg/ and /r/gamedev. I know, >reddit, but they're alright for information.
>>
>>341208487
That's kind of what I mean. They thought they had all the legroom of a AAA series so they wanted to spread it as much as they could and merchandise it, but they need to get used to not working under a giant like Capcom anymore, they have to realize they're just a small indie studio with their own funds now.
>>
>>341209794
no it's not, most of the latest japanese games are just waifushit like neptunia, only Jap games I enjoyed recently were Danganronpa 1 and 2
>>
>>341203165
What a fucking joke, I'll take games like GTAV and Witcher 3 over indieshit any day.
>>
>>341208646
>Binding of Isaac
>After Steakmund raped it to hell and back with 6 billion new Co-Op Babies
>>
>>341203165
>I unironically believe that indies are the future of videogames.
You need to KYS, post haste! Or someone will do it for you!
>>
Indie games are already becoming like AAA shit, don't delude yourself. Tons of shovelware, and once a title manages to break through all that garbage, it has 4 sequels that just overdo it.
They're already starting to do the whole "comfort zone" stuff, where every "new" concept that comes out, tens of indie games mimic it.

For every Undertale, there are 500 Dead Bits.
>>
>>341210594
>For every mediocre title released, there are 500 titles nobody ever mentions
???
I get what you mean, but it's not THAT bad.
>>
>>341203674
>tfw your dream game consists of piloting a mecha throughout the dark and vast depths of space fighting impossibly gargantuan eldritch monstrosities out of religious mythology
Good luck on yours; it actually sounds feasible.
>>
utilize indies to pad out your months sounds pretty good to me, let them do the work
>>
>>341210267
Still better then neo legend of zelda.
>>
>>341210919
That's what I meant. For every passable game, there's 500 that are utter shit.
>>
>>341203165
I think it's really good that they exist.
Like Japan has it's A and AA market full of games that cost penuts to make and only need to sell 20k copies to make a big return. We haven't really had that for a long, long time in the west.
And it's really neat that modern tools make the process so easy that anyone could just wake up one morning and make a game. Unless you're trying to do something totally avant guarde you need a good idea and a good artist more than any technical skill.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.