[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck did these games ever end up so popular This is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: wwww.jpg (49 KB, 1191x670) Image search: [Google]
wwww.jpg
49 KB, 1191x670
How the fuck did these games ever end up so popular

This is the most overrated series of games I've ever seen
>>
File: beth.png (61 KB, 1079x202) Image search: [Google]
beth.png
61 KB, 1079x202
They had a gimmick "open world rpg", exploited it, and cornered the market/made a name for themselves with it
>>
>>341137346
Morrowind is the greatest video game of all time

Fuck you
>>
>>341137965
Nothing makes me more upset than images like that
It's so bizarre how highly praised these games get
>>
>>341137346
Lack of decent competition?
>>
>>341138092
It had a neat setting and was okay for role-playing but that's all I'll give it

>>341138207
Witcher 3 is a good start in the writing department
>>
Yes they are very overrated and yes they don't have a direct competitor.
>>
Oblivion was a fantastic mix of storytelling and open world, but it just felt void of personality.

I think, for console users like myself at the time, it was the first real open-world RPG experience you had unless you had Morrowind GOTY for Xbox, which was buggy as fuck and confusing for younger gamers.

Skyrim sucks hard cock but its like COD of RPGs.

In sum, no reason to get so upset, anon. If Gothic had better multiplat support and marketing it probably would suck by now too.
>>
>>341138780
>storytelling
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh
>>
No competition. Kind of like Paradox games. They exploit a market with no competition and so they can do whatever the fuck they want and still make mad dosh.
>>
>>341138780
>elder scrolls storytelling
get a load of this guy

shitty voice acting
the most retarded character models in a video game to date
cheesy as it gets dialogue
>>
>>341139581
>>341138780

If you go simply by the main storyline sure.

And cheesy? Come the fuck on. In the era of Morrowind and Oblivion how many non-novel based RPGs werent cheesy?

The sidequests of oblivion and the environments tell a fun story. Many of the side quests in each town are extensive and interesting enough to lose yourself in for a bit.

And this isnt a thread for GOAT arguments, its an explanation for why its popular, which is totally fucking valid.

Oblivion quests, by a non autismo /v/ standard, tell good stories that sell copies. Simple as that.
>>
>>341139468
Why doesn't anyone else elbow in to grab that Elder Scrolls dosh
>>
>>341137346

I've been asking myself the very same thing about the Persona series. If you want games with RPG mechanics and/or dungeons crawling, you can do a hell of a lot better. If you want social simulators, VNs will give you a lot more satisfaction than social links will. I just don't get it. I'm guessing they're for people who are to casual for proper VNs.
>>
I have to agree... game universe is not friendly for new players.
>>
What are some open world games like these ones but better? I've already played the Witcher 3 btw
>>
>>341139963
.....holy shit you missed the point of this thread

If youre too retarded to jump into ES, idk how much you can handle IRL
>>
>>341139869
>Oblivion quests, by a non autismo /v/ standard, tell good stories
Good stories, no
They're kinda interesting gameplay-wise (far better than Skyrim's go-into-draugr-dungeon-no-matter-what-the-character-wants quests)
>>
>>341140127
Skyrim had some unique quests, like the one where you get Dawnbreaker and you have to kill that super overpowered frost mage and his shade.
>>
>>341139886
Because competing with an already big and recognized brand is super risky.
That and the games are probably expensive as fuck to make.
>>
>>341140691
After going through a draugr dungeon
Boss fights in the games are never anything to speak about, either
Bethesda can sometimes manage an almost interesting boss fight mechanic but it's all limited by the shitty engine and the shitty combat
>>
>>341140791
With all this garbage coming out some big publisher might as well do something super risky
It wouldn't be hard, at all, to outdo anything in the Elder Scrolls games, given a better engine
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.