[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dark Souls 1 on PC
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3
File: dark-souls-pc-boxart.jpg (70 KB, 686x960) Image search: [Google]
dark-souls-pc-boxart.jpg
70 KB, 686x960
Is this the worst PC port of all times? I don't want to use a controller, so I basically can't play this game. Worst mouse/keyboard controls I've ever seen (even after dsmfix). I really wanted to play this, but I can't support a game that doesn't respect my choice as a PC player.

They didn't even change the fucking prompts inside the game. How is this acceptable at all? I wish I knew about this before I bought the game.
>>
>average PC gamer

And you wonder why companies don't want to bother with you people.
>>
Deadly Premonition ranks even lower.
>>
Some games just aren't supposed to be played with MnK. Just get a gamepad you fucking autist
>>
I've had more fun playing n64 games on a keyboard than this.
>>
File: 1391288077145.png (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1391288077145.png
13 KB, 300x300
>>341048863
>I can't support a game that doesn't respect my choice as a PC player.
>>
http://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/
>>
>>341049082
Except there are fucking obvious ways to make the m+k control work for Dark Souls, enough that it is arguably superior to controllers.

FROM soft just don't know how to set the controls for PC due to their lack of experience with PC.
>>
>>341048863
it's a terrible port that is true
but the game is meant for controllers and if you can't afford an xbox360 controller you probably need to kill yourself
>>
>its works well with a gamepad
but i dont wannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnna
>>
>>341049429
Are you autistic?
>>
>>341049429
kb+m is good for fps
controllers are good for third person action games
this has been established for years
>>
>>341048863

There are plenty of worse ports that actually fuck the game up. This port is fine. It's just a straight port, and that is all.

Go download the fixes if it bothers you so much - that's half the fucking point of being a PC gamer in the first place.
>>
>>341048863
>doesnt want to use a controller to play dark souls

That's like saying you DO want to use a controller to play CSGO. Stop being a special snowflake.
>>
>>341050231
Also if you were playing on console you would be using a controller anyway so don't use the bad pc port meme.
>>
>>341048992
>>341049082
People have to pay for the game and for a controller to play the game? This is ridiculous. They didn't even try to do a good job on PC. They should make it very clear: don't play this game without a controller.

The worst part is the camera control. Disgusting. Seriously? Keyboard keys? Why didn't they make it so I had to code the whole game myself? Very lazy job. It shouldn't be so hard. Even shit-tier games like Skyrim do it better
>>
>>341049672
wrong
kbm is only bad for fighting games and fighting games are still viable with a kbm but it does take considerable practice and dexterity
>>
>>341049647
are you stupid?
>>
>>341048992
Except the only times they don't are when they're literally paid to by sony or microsoft.
>>
>>341050976
are you stupid too? who the fuck even uses the keyboard for camera controls?

go d/l DSfix you fucking noob
>>
>>341051337
>i choose to use something which will make my play ecperience worse because i'm retard
>>
>>341050976
>console game gets ported to PC
>Upset it controls like a console game
>>
should i buy dark souls? is it worth 5 dollars? how hard is it?
>>
Keyboard and Mouse controls are fucking garbage for a souls game regardless how shitty the port was.
>>
>spend 1k+ on a PC
>refuse to pay another $15 for a controller

nice false flag
>>
>>341048863
You begged for a PC port of Dark Souls, and you got what you asked.

Now play it or don't.
>>
>>341048863
Nah, there are worse ports, like Deadly Premonition and Saints Row 2
>>
>>341051976

Only if you have a controller, then this game is worth $60
>>
>>341051976
>is dark souls worth $5
>>
Beat all of DS2 with MnK and even did okay at PvP. Personally controllers just feel awkward to me, but I had to use one for DS1
>>
>>341051834
it's only worse if youre a crippled retard

are you a crippled retard?
>>
>>341048863
stop crying. the game runs fine with dsfix and a gamepad.
>>
just get a fucking controller

how can you be a PC gamer and not have a controller?
like 90% of the reason PC gaming is great is emulation.
>>
Do you play Devil May Cry with a mouse and keyboard?
>>
>>341051976

Not as hard as people make it out to be - just learn to play by the games rules and don't go rushing into everything.
>>
>>341052270
i fell for the witcher 3 meme and it sucks. is dark souls also a meme or is it geniunely good?
>>
>>341052540
>he plays on emulators with his keyboard
>>
>>341048863
>>341050976
It literally says on their steam page to use a controller, stop whining
>>
>>341052731
dont play dark souls

you'll enjoy it and stack at least 100 hours into it

why would you want that?

play something like fallout 4
that's a wise time investment and the amount of open world fun you get out of it is considerably greater than anything that's come out in the past 10 years
>>
>>341052731
Dark Souls gets way more praise even from /v/, and you wouldn't have had to pay $60 for it. I'm not telling you why you should get it, you already know all the reasons, stop being a pussy and either get it or don't.

>2016
>have to convince people that dark souls is worth $5
>>
>>341048863
Are Wing Commander or X-wing a shit PC ports because they're hard to play without a joystick? Is pretty much every racing sim ever a bad PC port because it's hard to play without a wheel or atleast a gamepad with pressure sensitive triggers?

Literally go and buy a controller for 20 bucks you filthy cretin.
>>
>>341053058
>100 hours from $5 isn't enough value

The era of entitlement, folks.
>>
>>341052352
this is a true pcuck
>>
>>341052731
Dark Souls 1 is a great action RPG with more focus on the RPG part. There's loads of variety in playstyles. You can play as a tanky heavy armor knight who can't even roll and that's viable. Or be a flippy faggot in leather and shoot magic everywhere. The amount of different ways to play through gives it loads of replay value.
world design is good. Dark Souls 1 really didn't focus on creating immersive environments, but more on making fun levels for a video game. Some of the areas feel like Castlevania stages.
Graphics are poor but this was the game that put FromSoft on the map, it was made by a small team on a tighter budget than 2 and 3.
The last 1/3rd of the game is infamously bad but the first 2/3rds are 10/10 and well worth it.

Dark Souls 2 has much better multiplayer but a much worse overall single player experience. Level design is awful, enemies are bland and not much variety. It does have boatloads of fucking content though.

3 is a mixed bag where it feels like they wanted to fuse Dark Souls and Bloodborne, but did it in the worst way possible. There is almost no variety in playstyles, in order to beat bosses it's pretty much 100% required to memorize their moveset and roll through their attacks. No more tanking or blocking or spamming ranged shit until they die. Areas are much more immersive but lose the video game-y feel the first game had. Multiplayer works really well but PvP is unfair and unbalanced.
>>
>>341054241
> didnt even answer the question

i guess you are literally incapable of adaption

what's it like being an evolutionary dead end?
>>
>>341048863
Let me tell you about the Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition PC port.
When you start up the game with a 360 controller plugged in, it asks if you want to configure the controller. When you try, it gives you an error message saying your controller isn't supported. What the fuck kind of controller would be supported if not for an Xbox 360 controller? You might think "okay the configuration program must just be confused" and you launch it anyway. The game launches in a 320 x 240 window in the middle of your screen. The Xbox controller does in fact not do anything, so you're left with poking around on the keyboard trying to figure out how to skip the opening cutscene so you can get to the options menu. Once you do that, you find that there is no option in the menu to make the game run at full screen. There is also no option on the main menu to quit the game. Clicking the X in the corner of the window does nothing, pressing escape selects a menu option. The only way to close out of the window is to press alt + F4, and then work out how to move the cursor from no to yes and hit accept. The mouse controls don't work, and the arrow keys do nothing. You can only navigate menu options with the WASD keys, and you have to press escape to accept.
Cont.
>>
>>341054859
After all of that fuckery you find a way to edit the INI file online such that the controller will be usable. Every input from the controller is assigned a numerical value and you would have had to guess which is which had someone else not already gone to all the trouble of doing so . So you change the INI file and get it to recognize the inputs, and you full-screen the game with alt + enter. You then go into the options and try to change the resolution to be as high as it can be (there is no 1920 x 1080), even if you have already done this because this setting will not save until you begin the game and make a save file. Once you start, you are greeted with a tutorial that lists all buttons as numbers, so you'll have to memorize that. Aside from flying blind you think everything is finally going ok, until you get to the shotgun. When you get to the shotgun you find that even after editing the INI file to recognize the controller, the triggers straight do not do anything, so in order to swap weapons you have to use the keyboard.

No, Dark Souls is not the worst PC port ever, not by a fucking mile.
>>
>>341048863
>Is this the worst PC port of all times?

p sure that award goes to bamaham knight.
>>
>>341054331
ok i bought it

what is the best class for a n00b?
>>
>>341055253
Sorcerers start with the ability to spam ranged magic missiles that are homing and also one-shot most early enemies.
>>
>>341054704
you asked a rhetorical question
you don't answer rhetorical questions especially when a mongoloid ask you it
>>
>>341055253
go knight it's safest
>>
>>341048863
In the same way that you don't use a console controller to play an FPS or RTS, you don't use K+M to play a third-person platformer. It's your own damn fault for not recognizing the structure and required inputs for a game make one choice overwhelmingly superior.
>>
>>341049672
retard
>>
>>341055253
it doesnt matter

from now on only ask for help when you're desperately in need. Otherwise you're ruining your own experience.

t. launchfag here. I was offline and it was scary as fuck, game wasn't patched to be easier back then either.
>>
>>341056446
let's kiss <3
>>
>>341055253
knight or sorcerer. knight's really good for beginners because loads of health, good armor, good shield, good all around. Sorcerer is a little more squishy but starts with overpowered magic.

important tip is to not ever put a single point into Resistance when leveling up, the stat literally does not do anything.

Endurance is the most important as it both increases your stamina and your equip load.

Vitality is obviously important because it's HP.

Strength and Skill depends on what type of weapons you want to use. I recommend Strength for first playthrough as the better STR weapons usually have high damage and big range and stagger.

Int and Faith controls the two different types of magic, Sorcery and Miracles. Sorcery is outright better in most cases and easy to use, spam magic missiles everywhere.

Attunement determines how many slots you have to equip magic. You really only need 2, maybe 3 slots for magic, and that's if you plan to use it.

there's also Pyromancy which is a third type of magic which requires no stats to use, it's a good pick if you go pure melee as it has some buffs and some ranged spells.

if you get stuck or lost, don't be afraid to use a walkthrough. the game is really cryptic.
>>
File: an_hero_03.jpg (24 KB, 680x592) Image search: [Google]
an_hero_03.jpg
24 KB, 680x592
>oh sure, you totally need a joystick for this space sim
>believe me, get yourself a steering wheel peripheral for that racer, it's so much better
>OMG WHY DO I HAVE TO USE GAMEPAD WHAT IS THIS ARE YOU SHITTING ME THIS IS PC I *SHOULD* BE ABLE TO USE M+K FOR EVERY GAME!

Fucktards?
>>
Oh, cool, another thread where people think the better controller comes down to how well you can play the game with it. Back to playing Dance Dance Revolution with a keyboard. Lol.

Yeah, anybody with a brain realizes that the analog stick and 360 movement is the gold standard for just about any third-person action game.
>>
>>341049672
kb+m is perfectly fine for third person action games, it is just a fucking slightly modified fps with different view point.
The only time it MIGHT have problem is if the perspective is fixed.
>>
>>341051976
>how hard is it
Depends if you have a brain. Follow the game rules and learn from your mistakes and it's not that hard, plus there are countless mechanics to make the game easier. I think the most important factor is that it doesn't feel frustrating.
>>
>>341051337
Fighting games are actually very viable with keyboard, because of the incredible execution speed. The fucking Hitbox that was banned from some tourneys was based on the keyboard controls.

The only issue is that some crappy keyboard have input limits.
>>
>>341048863
i've beaten it twice and never used a controller
the controls are shitty but it's still possible
>They didn't even change the fucking prompts inside the game.
get one of the texture mods on the nexus that replace the prompts
>>
>>341049057
How is that even possible ? How can it even be possible to fuck up things more than DS1 ?
>>
>>341051337
>fighting games are still viable with keyboard

Ok, you're retarded.
Yeah, right? This year's EVO we are about to see someone using a shitty keyboard to play a fighting game, of fucking course. You don't know shit about the genre but still tries to bitch about it just to make your autistic point valid. That's just a classic characteristic of someone porting a mental disease.
>>
>>341049082
You are retarded
t. Dark souls 2 and 3 nigger
>>
>>341048863
>I don't want to use a bat so I basically can't play baseball
>>
>>341052196
>Saints Row 2 worse port than DS1
you can actually play it without getting your eyes raped by shit graphics or having to download a patch.
>>
>>341059409
DS1 without patches and shit works on a "well, at least it doesn't crash" level.
DP is a whole different beast:
http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Deadly_Premonition:_The_Director's_Cut
>>
>>341048863
Plug in a gamepad, dload DSfix. Done me fine for 350 hours.
>>
I've been playing the game with keyboard only for years, I finished it with keyboard and no Ds fix.
Stop complaining, faggot
>>
I have 312 hours, every second logged with M+KB. It's really not hard to get a grip on.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.