[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I le love arena shooters :DD >that's why I don't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4
File: q3.jpg (75 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
q3.jpg
75 KB, 800x600
>I le love arena shooters :DD
>that's why I don't play them xD

every time some arena shooter comes out it dies if arenafags want this genre to come back so hard why they ignore it?
>>
People just want to go back to their childhood playing Q3 or UT on shitty servers with scrubs, they don't want actual new games that are geared towards people that are good and have stuck with the genre.
>>
Because a game made solely of deathmatch is boring.
>>
>>341037849
Maybe because they aren't a majority and if a shitty arena game comes out they're not going to support it?
>>
Yeah. Everyone whines about the new Quake not being like Q3. Then why the fuck did you not support any of the new Arena shooters? They were dead on arrival. The truth is that you don't really care about arena shooters, you just have fond memories from your childhood and want to feel like an elitist because you like hardcore shooters.
>>
>>341037849
People that play arena shooters now are good as fuck.
A newcomer will be getting rekt for tens of hours and that is enough to make him hate the genre
>>
>>341037849
Let's be honest for a minute OP, the only reason why they are rebooting Quake is because someone else rebooted Doom, and once they figured out that it wasn't an extreme crapshoot and people would actually take interest in it they started fully considering it as an option to make money.
>>
i enjoy arena shooters, and i enjoy class-based arena shooters.

i don't have a problem with it at all. seems fun.
>>
>>341038046
COD seems to do well.
>>
>>341038217
You act like this is somehow different in other genres of competitive online games, like people just picking up MOBAs or fighting games for the first time don't spend their first 100 hours being absolute dogshit, the next 100 figuring out whether they want to take the game seriously or not, and hundreds of hours afterward actually getting good.
>>
>>341038035
>People just want [...] servers with scrubs [...] they don't want [...] people that are good and have stuck with the genre.

Pretty much. The high skill ceiling of arena shooters is what killed them. Moving and aiming at fast pace is hard enough for most people, but when you add in complex requirements to actually achieve that speed, people just give up right out of the gate.
>>
>every time some arena shooter comes out it dies
When was the last time arena shooter got released?
Toxic and Reflect need not to apply because Early Access with 0 content can't be called a release, they've killed themselves with that stupidity.
>>
>>341037849
>le /vee/ is one person meme
Fuck off the edge of my dick OP.
>>
>>341037849
Name 5 good arena shooters that have been released since 2010.
>>
>>341038450
It's not really that hard, people over exaggerate at Quake skill ceiling.

The games itself have been lacking the FUN out of it.
>>
>>341038585
>Toxic and Reflect need not to apply because Early Access with 0 content can't be called a release, they've killed themselves with that stupidity.

Quake Live, New UT, Tribes etc.
>>
>>341038046
Isn't that what arena shooters are though? Team Deathmatch/Free For All? With a bit of Capture the Flag?
>>
>>341038441
In both those cases, the vast majority barely make it past the first 100 hour mark. Nobody has the slightest bit of motivation to get a little better and call anything resembling that "autistic."
>>
>>341038595

>Name 5 good arena shooters that have been released since 2010.

Name 5 good arena shooters that have been released since 1990
>>
>>341037849
I play Xonotic from time to time
>>
>>341038441
Any other genre except RTS,have a lower learning curve.
People that play arena shooters have been playing them since 1990,while in every other genre you have new people with similiar skill level to yours
>>
>>341037849

Name five arena shooters that you feel deserved a chance and were ignored.
>>
>>341038046
That's not what arena shooters are.
>>
>>341038929

Quake Live, Reflex, Tribes, New UT, Toxic.
>>
>>341038691
As a matter of fact, UT2004 was like 90% modded maps. I remember playing everything from race/platform maps to top-down view RTS mods based on C&C.

The game was always fresh, and always had weird new things to try.
The arena-shooting is nice, but my friends were always fans of instagib, and I was not.
>>
Arena FPS fans are probably the most autistic fanbase in vidya. Go into a Quake thread, it's worse than any fightan game, MOBA or Cuhrayzee thread I've ever seen. If it played exactly like CPMA or QL people would call it a cash-in ripoff. If it even slightly changes something people sperg out and whine about how it's not CPMA or QL. FPS fans literally killed their own genre.
>>
>>341039049
tribes was popular as hell till they killed it themselves, the revived it, but it was too late
>>
>>341038924
Are you implying players from 1990 have not plateu'd in skill at some point? Do you actually think arena shooters have that kind of depth, that things are still being learned about games from that long ago? Fatal1ty should be the best fps player on earth right now then.
>>
>>341038647
>Quake life
Rerelese of a 10 year old game
>New UT
In pre-alpha
>Tribes
Not an arena shooter
>>
>>341037849
i think quake would achieve longevity if it had more weapons added in to muck around with

once you've perfected the genre the only thing left to excite players is the occasional new map (except everyone plays The Longest Yard) or grinding to git gud. New weapons would spice things up

however that doesn't mean we should go down the MOBAlike road of new Quake where there are character classes with premade loadouts; players should work for their weapons, a time-honoured Quake/Doom tradition.
>>
>>341038385
Are you stupid? COD has always had more game modes than TDM
>>
>>341039330

Okay then. Name me 5 good Arena shooters since 1990. You can't.
>>
>>341039323
This is not what I was writing about
>>
>>341038647
>>341039049
Quake live is literally quake 3 with minor changes. Aka a 17 year old game.

UT, Toxic, Reflex is the same kind of unfinished crap. Early access kills multiplayer games.

Tribes was actually quite popular for a while and it still had a community even when it got raped by developers.

You don't really have an argument or viable examples for "every time arena shooter comes out it dies"
>>
>>341039480
Quake 1, 2, 3 and UT, UT 2003 and UT 2004
There's 6.
>>
>>341039450
So does Quake 3 and UT besides TDM is the most popular mode in COD by far.
>>
>>341039450
And DM and TDM are the most popular gamemodes by a huge landslide.
>>
File: ha06.jpg (318 KB, 1091x1600) Image search: [Google]
ha06.jpg
318 KB, 1091x1600
>>341040064
Quake and UT fags are opposed.
If I happen to not like UT then the last good arena shooter was 17 years ago and the latest abomination to come out is this shit.

Firefall pvp was actually really good psuedo-arena fps but it died.
>>
Do you consider the halo games arena shooters?

I would considering they have equal starts with weapons and power ups on maps, have map design consistent with UT/quake so on rather then other fps subgenres, and gunplay wise feels more like UT then any other shooter
>>
Unreal Tournament 4 is out and it's great and FREE.
>>
>>341040595
Yes they are arena shooters, but arena shooters for consoles done right.

Consoles suck at aiming and moving, yes, but Halo embraced that and had its own set of rules and mechanics that made it work in cohesion.
>>
>>341040595
Chief is too immobile.
>>
I've been playing NuDoom multiplayer since it came out. It's pretty rad playing an actual arena shooter in this day and age. Till Quake or Gigantic comes out it's what I'll be playing. I'm glad it's getting reworked, but if you legitimately hate on the multiplayer that is there then you never liked arena shooters in the first place or you grew out of them.
>>
>>341037849
Except almost no arena shooters have actually been properly released since its big years?

Tribes: Ascend is it. That's all there ever was since the fall of UT2k4 and Q3A, and that game lasted a good 3 years but failed due to micro-transactions and power-creeping.

Every other arena shooter released has either had no marketing, is stuck in early access, or had been abandoned far too early in its 'release' by the developers and left with not enough content.

The thing problem is that gameplay isn't enough to sell a multiplayer game anymore. You NEED stat tracking. You NEED level-ups. You NEED customization. You NEED rankings. Hell, with Quake Champions, you even NEED a gigantic range of characters with different abilities for some reason thanks to the MOBA popularity genre-leaking.
>>
>>341040595
Halo is not an arena shooter but gets its roots there. Halo is basically if someone designed arena for a controller, so its much slower.
>>
>>341037849
bullshit i have a bunch lying dead in my steam library.

Problem is the average player has a shitty prebuilt PC and or console and cant play for shit.

Even UT4 f2p is pretty much dead and has mods/cosmetics that you need to pay real money for and it hasnt even left beta
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 253x358) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 253x358
I don't even care about arena shooters. I just want my FPS games to look like mixed settings metal album covers again with lots of ultra violence.
>>
>>341040595
Yes, CoD is also an arena shooter. They're just not traditional to the pioneering arena shooter games and were fitted properly for consoles.
>>
I just really want something similar to Timesplitters 2, I couldn't find a PC shooter that recreated that feeling of arcade-y fast paced goofiness, besides serious sam but that lacked the weapon diversity and multiplayer focus
>>
>>341041128
90's are over grandpa
>>
>>341038217
no?

just dont try to duel people and expect to get anywhere without putting in some effort first
>>
>>341041242
>cod is an arena shooter
>loadouts with no map weapon spawns
kys
>>
>>341038647
Quake 3 was doing fine until that big update that changed everything and added loadouts and shit.

UT isnt even a full game

Tribes, again, was doing well until updates fucked it up.
>>
>>341041531
Nah, things just go in cycles. Whatever you love in vidya will die for 10-20 years before making a temporary comeback. Movies does the same thing.
>>
>>341040595
Halo is pretty much a slow arena shooter.
>>
>>341041879
>Quake 3
I mean Live, but it's technically the same thing.
>>
>>341038195
>guise the real answer lies in memewatch, go buy memewatch!
>>
>>341040595
Halo 1-3 and 5 are.
COD isn't
>>
>>341039396
>players should work for their weapons, a time-honoured Quake/Doom tradition.
Ranger picks up a gun 18 seconds into the trailer.
>>
>>341045381
>>341039396
They never really explained whether Champions would have loadouts or not, eh? It very well could just be the special moves that separate the different characters while everything else is still even ground.
>>
>>341040812
>>341041108
>>341042421
Avid halo player. I just got done with the DOOM demo. Doom didn't seem that much faster then most halo games, only by maybe 20%. I also played a fair bit of UT2 and UT3 way back when and I don't really think Halo is that much slower then them either.

I'm talking about both movement speed and combat pace for both, not just movement speed.

It's noticeable, obviously, but it's not enough to be a big deal and it's certainly not enough to make me not be able to handle it so IMO the whole "lel console players can't keep up with it" argument doesn't really hold and IMO it never really has.

I'm sure my argument would fly out the window at super high level player where you have to be making precise but very large, like 90 degree aiming adjustments while jumping from platformer to platform at once, that would require a fundamental shift in gameplay thinking and would probably take me a while to get used to, i'll admit.

Anyways, in case anybody gives a shit i'm sure none of you do my impressions of DOOM was the gameplay was tight, combat felt nice, etc, but nothing remarkable or that much better then the halo titles. The pistol felt completely anmeic and while I understand it's supposed to, I also hate the guns in halo that are supposed to be bad and how shit the halo games are with weapon balance usually is something I dislike about them.

Also, I know that this is a Doom thing, but I can't stand how limited in color pallete and theming the environments are. One of my favorite things about the halo games and to a lesser extent UT is their use of color and for halo their environments.

tl;dr I think doom feels nice but i'm not impressed.
>>
>>341044128
You can always just put armor abilities on map in Reach to act as powerups, or disable loadouts in 4.

I'd say both are arenea shooters that are just covered a few layers of modern shooter shit on top.
>>
>>341037849
Arena shooters are dead. If they just remade Quake 3, the game would utterly bomb. Overwatch is doing well so this will help kickstart arena games again. Once newcomers come in playing the classes mode, they can move on to a Classic mode which is basically Quake 3 Arena if they want a tougher challenge.

There you go, everyone is happy.
>>
>>341046153
>I'm sure my argument would fly out the window at super high level player where you have to be making precise but very large, like 90 degree aiming adjustments while jumping from platformer to platform at once, that would require a fundamental shift in gameplay thinking and would probably take me a while to get used to, i'll admit.

In Q3likes, this is what anything above lowest-level-only-played-against-bots play requires, so that's where your argument flies out the window. UT/nuDoom is pretty much just marginally faster Halo, though.
>>
>>341038691
>he's never played freeze tag

You're missing out.
>>
>>341046936
>they can move on to a Classic mode which is basically Quake 3 Arena if they want a tougher challenge.

No, having different types of game is guaranteed to kill it stone dead. AFPS games have more gamemodes than they have players these days, it just splits the playerbase and makes it harder to learn.
>>
I tried getting into quake live a couple of years ago. I was really enjoying myself even though I was getting destroyed by everyone, but it's really hard to git gud when I get kicked out by elitist assholes and have to play against bots on an empty server
>>
>>341041242
where's my quad damage, red armor, rocket launcher, B-FUCKING-G
>>
>>341047345
I would have three or four game modes max.

Classes Team Deathmatch
Classes Capture the Flag
Classes King of the Hill
Classic Arena (pickups, powerups, no character classes).

This should work find and won't divide the playerbase too much.
>>
>>341047938
That's still three too many. Games like this don't have the playerbase to support more than a single gamemode.
>>
>>341048371
I know arena shooters have super small playerbases but it's why the classes they are putting in this Champions game will work as they should be able to pull in new players.

If they don't, well at least we have a fun game to play with.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.