[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did older games looks better at 240p and 480p compared to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: 2421925-re4pc.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1068) Image search: [Google]
2421925-re4pc.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1068
How did older games looks better at 240p and 480p compared to HD? Did the old CRT TV have some weird quirk hiding all the low res textures and models in Resident Evil 4?

Leon lookin sharp at every resolution, niggas.[/spoilers]
>>
>>341027786
>How did older games looks better at 240p and 480p compared to HD?
Um they didn't?
>>
there's the blur that comes with old televisions
>>
They were designed to look their best at the time they were originally released. HD remakes never look right to me
>>
>>341027835
You didn't notice the flaws as much compared to HD.
>>
>>341027786
Most graphics had to be a little stylized to make up for the lack of "realism," which gave games their own styles and tones. These days everything looks pretty much the same short of games that are intentionally stylized like Dishonored or Telltale's games.
>>
You still have your CRT monitor, right /v/?
>>
>>341027786

Not a TV expert but im pretty sure CRT emited a ray of light to your screen, similar to a projector. Modern televisions upscale with pixels creating a blocky ugly as fuck look
>>
>>341027950
So basically what you're saying is...

The games looked less shit because the shit resolution was hiding how shit the games actually looked?
>>
>>341028019
Dishonored is more stylised realism but there were definitely games looking to be realistic. First one that came to mind was Half Life 2.
>>
File: my tv.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
my tv.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>341027786
Resident Evil 4 is an interesting game for this question because it is only playable in 16:9 and was designed for the GameCube, the system with the lowest storage space that generation (hence low res textures).

>>341028039
Yes. Technically this is the TV but I have a monitor too.
>>
>>341028305
>widescreen
Holy shit, I thought the bars were intentional for help the game perform better or some shit. What other GC games have widescreen support?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.