[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Halo the robot?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13
File: halo.jpg (282 KB, 524x770) Image search: [Google]
halo.jpg
282 KB, 524x770
Is Halo the robot?
>>
>>341008901
No, halo is the blue girl right?
>>
no halo is dad
>>
Halo is Metroid's girlfriend
>>
it's his home planet
>>
Halo Is the weapon it's the best gun in the game how are u by the way
>>
File: 16872968-Medium.jpg (35 KB, 592x333) Image search: [Google]
16872968-Medium.jpg
35 KB, 592x333
>call games "Halo"
>most of them don't take place on Halos

>set game in Africa
>make the civilians white
>>
>>341008901

halo is that big purple space station where the old alien guys gather. He blows it up in halo 2 i believe
>>
>>341009818
What his halo
>>
>>341009942
http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Halo_Array
>>
>>341009818

>2552
>Be eastern European
>Western Europe in recession again, no hope for them to recover
>Yet another Islamist attack in Germany
>Pack my things
>There is nothing for me here
>I will go to New Mombasa, Kenya
>Stable economy
>All immigrant workers welcome
>Lots of whites there as well
>Salaries are great as well
>Then the Covenant attack
>At least it's not ISIS
>>
>Halo: humanity is a newcomer to a galactic community where all the other races have benefitted from the technology of an ancient civilization that disappeared
>Mass Effect: humanity is a newcomer to a galactic community where all the other races have benefitted from the technology of an ancient civilization that disappears

>Halo: a human is the "chosen one" to defeat an ancient evil, Master Chief was chosen by the Librarian (an important person in the ancient civilization)
>Mass Effect: a human is the "chosen one" to defeat an ancient evil, Shepard was assisted by what was left behind by the ancient civilization

>Halo: all sentient life in the galaxy is destroyed to prevent the Flood from coming back, you have to stop it from happening again
>Mass Effect: all sentient life in the galaxy is destroyed to prevent robots from taking over and killing their creators, you have to stop it from happening again

Anyone else notice this?
>>
>>341010526
YOU MEAN THEY'RE NOT ORIGINAL DO NOT STEAL CONTENTS THAT OBVIOUSLY NOT STOLEN FROM OTHER STUFF LIKE RINGWORLD?
>>
>>341009818
Halo takes place 500 years in the future

A lot can happen in that much time.500 years ago we had only just discovered the Americas.

There's actually a bit of halo lore about what happened in those 500 years, it's not all just late 2400's early/mid 2500's, though that's where most of the action takes place

Most of them revolve around conflicts between the Friedens and Koslovics which were fascist and communist movements breaking out soon after colonization started on mars and jovian moons and in response to what they saw as UN oppression (which actually started to gain teeth once colonization got going).

http://www.halopedia.org/Koslovics
http://www.halopedia.org/Frieden

The main conflict between them and the UN which led to the formation of the UNSC (the main human faction you see in the halo games and most of the novels) was called the Rainforest Wars

http://www.halopedia.org/Rain_Forest_Wars

There were some other human on human conflicts throughout those 3-4 centuries but that's the big one. None of the novels have actually taken place during any of these events though, it's all 2400's onwards for humanity/the main story thread, following the covenant in their history, or way, way back hundreds of thousands of years in the past with the forerunners.

In any case, human infighting over colonization and Independence from a central governing body (the UN and then the UNSC) is a major core part of humanity as a group in halo war, the outer colonies fighting against the UNSC (think gundam) eventually led to the creation of the Spartan 2 program via kidnapping kids to use them as a secret police force against rebel leaders, Master Cheif being a SPARTAN 2.

Thankfully they were in action around the time the covenant discovered humanity and as such were able to act as a key defense against them, since once the covenant showed up all of humanity more or less put the infighting on hold to prevent their extinction, so the S2's were re purposed for that.
>>
>>341010526
I think that's a simplfiication. Those are pretty common tropes and there's not a lot in common between them outside of those things you mentioned.

In any case, even if ME did take that sort of basic structure, it went in it's own direction with it.
>>
>>341010883
I had no idea, thanks!
>>
>>341010526
The "Chosen one" shit was added retroactively by 343, I wouldn't include that since they did it after ME2 I think.
>>
>>341010883
yeah but is he the robot.
>>
>>341009707
I'm good how are u
>>
>>341011284
He's not even really the chosen one, that's people completely misunderstanding the scene.

It's less MC as an iddnviual being choosen, as the Librarian planning general things such as "humanity will devolp power exoskeletons" and "humanity will invent semi sentient AI's."., etc, and him just being the natural result of broader influences.

He as an indviaul wasn't planned, but the situations that led to him being who he was WERE planned, he just happened to be the one where everything lined up, if that makes sense.

She didn't give him superpowers, either, one of the things she just planned out was an immunity to the composer which was inserted latently into humanity's genes. She just flipped the switch on those genes, which gave him that immunity. No supepowers or anything of the sort.
>>
>>341008901
>>341008901
i liek halo hes a pretty cool guy, he kills aliens and doesnt afraid of anything
>>
File: image.jpg (23 KB, 440x479) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23 KB, 440x479
>>341008901
Get in the robot Cortana
>>
>>341010883
Halo has the most boring bro-tier lore, how did you manage to read all that?
>>
>>341008901
No John, you are the demon.
>>
>>341012125
I wrote nearly all of that up based on my memory from the novels, not via me reading wiki pages

Also it has good lore fuck you faggot
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 1952x3264) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 1952x3264
>>341012483
>good lore
>Copypasted Call of Duty dialogue and borderline plagiarized themes
Pick one
>>
I wonder how butthurt the prophets were when they found out humans are the reclaimers.
>>
>>341012684
The majority of Halo lore isn't about any of the shit mentioned in that post.

>Copypasted Call of Duty dialogue
Confirmed for never actually playing the games and certainly not reading the novels.

>>341012824
Read the end of contact harvest and see for yourself
>>
>>341012824
Probably the same way radical Muslims feel when they get BTFO by the US military since iirc the Quran says that Allah picks the winners in battle, so if the US wins, Allah is on America's side.
>>
>>341012824

So butthurt they literally started the war over it.
>>
>>341011548
This, Master Chief is basically Tenchi Masaki from the Tenchi Muyo OVA series. He was just the lucky individual who just happened to meet the Librarians qualifications. Anyone could have been the culmination of a thousand lifetimes of planning, but it seems that while John himself wasn't planned by the Librarian he was the end result that came of it like Tenchi was to the Chousin.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>341012939
>confirmed for being retarded.
I have every fucking halo game including 5.
The lore is shit.
>>
File: what.png (341 KB, 413x393) Image search: [Google]
what.png
341 KB, 413x393
>>341008901
>>
>>341011548
Well that's all well and good and honestly I know next to nothing about Halo lore to be honest but I have to point out that Shepard is not exactly the "chosen one" in the literal sense either. I'm guessing you haven't played the game but executive summary is that Shepard's story is a lot like you described. The "forerunners" -- Protheans -- found out about the "flood" -- Reapers -- and put together an "ark" -- Ilos -- to try and save their civilization.

They also built a contingency plan, as you mentioned, in the form of beacons that would warn future civilizations of the Reapers. Shepard happened to stumble upon one of the few remaining intact beacons and essentially became the chosen/not-chosen one as a result.
>>
>>341013345
>imgay.jpg
Fuck off Phony McMeme
>>
>>341013345
Good, so you've consumed maybe 7% of all halo lore at the most; nice to confirm you have no idea what you are talking about still.

>>341013425
I'll admit I know next to nothing About ME lore either but MC's encounter with the librarian and all of that stuff have nothing to do with the intial stuff regarding the flood and the ark that happened in the first 3 halo games, so trying to use them as a point of comparasion when based on what you just told me the context is different isn't a useful comparsion.

That would compare, however, to the PoA with MC on it stumblinb on the 4th halo ring in halo CE
>>
>>341013573
Go read your shitty ass 5th-grader reading level Halo extended universe garbage fag boy.
>>
>>341013698
>Caring about Halo outside of the games.

The books are shit m8
>>
>>341013698
He says "confirmed for not having played the games."
Posted a pic confirming I've played all of them. Beat them all on legendary too. My point is the lore, dialogue, and story is cringey, pretentious, trash.
>>
>>341013858
Seriously. Its sci-fi written by written by bros who have never read sci-fi or had an original thought.
>>
>>341013925
you posted a pic confirming you have all of the boxes
>>
>>341013770
>>341013858
>>341014008
>>341013925
nice samefag
>>
>>341014137
Yeah, you caught me. I just bought empty boxes so I can post on /v/ and argue with a low IQ fanboy desperately trying to defend his garbage lore.
>>
File: IMG_20160613_050134.jpg (2 MB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160613_050134.jpg
2 MB, 3840x2160
>>341013345
I too have every halo game, friend. The Bungie lore is actually pretty interesting and nuanced. The 343 era stuff is indeed shit and fan fic tier
>>
>>341014139
1,3,and 4 are me. They are responses. You don't even know what samefagging is. Samefagging is pretending to be different people. How many times are you going to get shit on fag?
>>
>>341010526

>A fanatically religious hierarchical empire of alien races fights a war of conquest around massive ring-shaped space habitats
>>
>>341014391
I liked Reach and ODST but 99% of the extended universe is eye-rollingly corny. And yes, especially the 343 shit. You can almost hear the focus group feedback shoehorned in there to raise their normie appeal.
>>
>>341014464
B-b-b-b-but master chief is origgginal
>>
Notice the fanboy has abandoned thread after getting bootyblasted.
>>
File: 1426998468087.jpg (1 MB, 2779x1916) Image search: [Google]
1426998468087.jpg
1 MB, 2779x1916
>>341012824
>Humans are absolute fuckheads who fought Forerunners for years
>Destroyed the cure for the flood just to spite them before dying themselves
>Forerunners make them the reclaimers
343 lore is so fucked
>>
>>341014721
Nobody said he was original? Hell, his name wasn't even intended to be original. It was a super generic placeholder during development that they ended up sticking with because they couldn't think of anything better.
>>
>>341014960
How? There's clearly a conflict between the Didact (anti human) and the Librarian (pro human) to explain that.
>>
>>341015173
>super generic placeholder
>good lore
Pick one
>>
>>341012125
how is that in any way bro-tier?

not even a halo fan but youre a douche
>>
>>341015318
Fucking seriously?
>>
>>341016049
The "ooh-rah" UNSC reporting in
Send in red squad to kill blue squad
Blah blah blah is laughably gay.
>>
>>341010526
this just made me yearn to play a game like ME1 again. Something that makes the game's world feel expansive, filled, and rich with history and intrigue. Something mysterious about the plot that feels well conceived, but hidden behind layers of subterfuge.

Damn ME2 and ME3 for what they did to such a great game. Just going to Ilos for the first time was so amazing.
>>
>>341016442
You're defending Halo lore.
Consider drinking a glass of shit
>>
>>341016569
prior to H4, halo as a series had a well realized, well rounded history to it's world and Halo 1 had god-tier atmosphere and world building.

It's not poetic, it's not film tier, but for a game it did a great job, especially a fps game.
>>
>>341016494
thats 343 shit but your post conveys to me that you didnt read his post

lore based around maneuvering of large political factions is not "bro-tier"

but im starting to get the sense that youre a troll anyway so heres your (you)
>>
>>341016569
Halo lore used to be phenomenal.
>>
>>341016952
We're arguing over the extended universe outside the games. I agree that the games arent THAAAAAT bad.
>>
>>341017167
I'm agreeing the 343 shit is worse than the Bungie shit... But the main point I'm trying to make is the extended universe shit is pretty fucking bad. The live action movie sucked. The fall of reach movie sucked. Everything I've looked at comic or bookwise has been super corny or written for 12 year olds. Having an opinion and defending my position by proving I've played the games and discussing why is far from trolling.
>>
>>341017243
When?
What? I'm waiting for one example of something that isn't (as pointed out by previous posts)
>corny
>placeholder
>plagiarized
>just shit writing (343)
>>
>>341014960
>>341016952
>>341017167
>>341018576
>Says 343 lore is stupid
>he hasn't read last light, broken circle, or shadow of intent

A lot of their newer books have been nylund tier. also >>341014960 clearly never finished the forerunner triology, which is IMO really well written but just reveals too much.
>>
>>341018902
You don't need to read those to think the 343 lore is bad. For example I hate all the ancient human empire shit, the "everybody can be a spartan now XD" shit, and master chief being the chosen one. That really soured me on the series, among other things. No amount of well written books are going to undo that.
>>
>>341019367
I was saying those 3 books are good though, and are examples of how 343 can do good shit

>master chief being the chosen one.
You misunderstood that scene, see >>341011548 and >>341013256

>the "everybody can be a spartan now XD"
I agree tonally it sucks but logically it makes sense. Why WOULDN'T the UNSC want an easily controllable army of easier to produce spartans?

>For example I hate all the ancient human empire shit
Have you actually read the forerunner novels and experienced this in context?
>>
>>341019702
I completely get he as an individual wasn't chosen. I hate the idea that master chief and humanity itself wasn't accomplishing the feats it did on its own.

All the cool stuff chief, cortana, and humanity pulled off in the war was a lot cooler when it wasn't the result of some ancient aliens lady meddling with the human genome. This also ties into why I think the ancient human empire is dumb.
>>
>>341010526
>common cliches in western sci-fi are everywhere

wow color me surprised
>>
>>341020513
>I hate the idea that master chief and humanity itself wasn't accomplishing the feats it did on its own.

Well, I also think that's a misunderstanding too. The Geas wasn't "giving them" the ability to do those things, it was merely nudging them in that direction to WANT to do those things or ATTEMPT to do them unconsciously,. They still got to that point on their own merits and skill.

The best way I feel to explain it is to point of the first geas the forerunner books explain: The fact that human cultures have similar mother/feritility goddesses is partially due to a geas the librarian inserted into humans to venerate her and to trust her, and to always be able to see bits of her inside their own indivual mothers.

It's nothing major or explicit or guaranteed, it's a very subtle "nudge" to influence their psychology.

In terms of "making AI's", for example, it would be just preprogramming a genetic tehndancy to anthropomorphize things, which would naturally lead into devolping AI's, etc
>>
Halo is the DYSON SPHERE around the star DUMBASS
>>
File: 2010_05_19_13_54_21.jpg (371 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
2010_05_19_13_54_21.jpg
371 KB, 1280x720
Sometimes I feel like Vanquish is a more accurate depiction of what SPARTANs should be able to do. Just replace the rocket knees with super sprinting or some shit.
>>
>>341022997
I was interested to read about how it wouldn't work without a shield around it because asteroids would smash it to pieces and its atmosphere would be non existent. Apparently the dyson sphere was actually much larger than the halos also.
>>
>>341021410
Still not really a theme I like, but whatever. Glad you and others still enjoy the lore
>>
>>341013345
Halo wars was fucking cool, I loved the multiplayer.
>>
>>341022997
Is that a real animal?
>>
>>341012483
>Also it has good lore fuck you faggot
>>341012939
>Read the end of contact harvest and see for yourself
As it turns out Contact Harvest was the only Halo book I was tricked into reading and it managed to be even worse than the Starcraft books, and those were pretty.fucking.bad.buddy.boy.txt
>>
>>341023741
Plenty of the newer books still are thematically like older halo lore and are good.

Check out broken circle,it follows the formation of the covenant and then the great Schism
>>
>>341023926
Armadillo lizard
>>
>>341014391
Why do you have two copies of 4 not including MCC?
>>
>halo books

jesus christ
>>
>>341012125
>how did you manage to read all that?
By having an attention span and some interest to begin with, it appears.
>>
>>341008901
Did you guys know that Metroid's helmet looks like his plane?
>>
>>341025985
where they come from?
they carry parasites?
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.