[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why people like Bethesda open-world games so much? What makes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: assassincreedvictory.jpg (279 KB, 1800x1080) Image search: [Google]
assassincreedvictory.jpg
279 KB, 1800x1080
Why people like Bethesda open-world games so much? What makes them so hugely popular?

/v/ is always full of Skyrim, Morrowind, Fallout threads. Why do you people like these games when Gta 5 and Witcher 3 with their superior open-world exist?
>>
>>341006969
you do realize the majority of those people are playing it just to mess around with mods, right?
>>
These games are impossible to enjoy if you played MMOs first. Dead, lifeless worlds for the lonely
>>
File: 1398229857272.png (209 KB, 398x377) Image search: [Google]
1398229857272.png
209 KB, 398x377
better question, Why do people love pepe
>>
File: 1077 - Wzn586R.png (2 MB, 797x897) Image search: [Google]
1077 - Wzn586R.png
2 MB, 797x897
>>341007170
pepe is love
>>
>>341006969
because you can't play as a Orc futanari with a 12 inch dong in GTA 5 or Witcher 3
>>
>>341006969
because bethesda open worlds are fun to explore.

the pic you linked, AC, is the other end of the spectrum. A map full of markers, collectibles, floating arrows and repeating activities. The open world just simply becomes a checklist.

Beth games are more about freedom and discovering things for yourself. While they aren't gigantic, they feel more handcrafted than most other games.
>>
>>341006969
How is syndicate? I haven't been able to get myself to play an ass creed after 4 but I'm willing to give it a shot if it's actually good.
>>
>>341006969
>Why people like Bethesda open-world games so much? What makes them so hugely popular?

I dunno, why don't you play them and find out?
>>
>>341009559
/thread
>>
>>341009593
>Beth games are more about freedom and discovering things for yourself. While they aren't gigantic, they feel more handcrafted than most other games.

This is so far from the truth it's disgusting.

Everything in Beth open worlds feel like it was randomly generated, which is even more fucking sad because it isn't.

Only game they've made that didn't feel that way was Morrowind.
>>
>>341009630
Decent. Plays more like a stealth game.
>>
>>341007139
>Cold apathetic MMOs
>Everyone min/maxing, haggling on trade chat, every skill, location, dungeon, and piece of equipment has it's own internet short hand
>Areas near the bank full of countless people spamming their sale prices for mats
>No one is approachable, everyone is a bot, or a chinese gold farmer, or a slav, or a goon squad-esque clan member who might as well be as alien as the rest.
>Mindlessly grinding the same 4 dungeons at end game instead of exploring a hundred+ locations
>Skipping past all the detail, secret loot, story, cutscenes, dialogue choices, etc just to keep the party moving
>World couldn't care less about your existence. It is the same exact place since you started your first character.
>>
>>341009934

I actually really enjoyed Guild War 2.

I would read the Lote books you can buy for a few copper from vendors and talk to random peoples in each major town.

I also liked that the dungeons in central Tyria were actually extensions of the side-stories that were only there if you wanted them, that was cool.

A lot of people give grief to the game, but I always enjoyed it quite a lot.

But I also enjoy big open world RPGs like Witcher and Skyrim, so I don't know maybe the "grand adventure" theme and exploration is what I'm into.
>>
>>341010267

Sorry, *Lore
>>
>>341007139
MMO's are pretty much the worst implementation of open world though.
>>
>>341006969
>gta5

People actually liked that game?
>>
>>341006969
>What makes them so hugely popular?
other developers are REALLY BAD at them
i mean bethesda is really bad at them too, but other developers are REALLY BAD dude

i wouldn't say witcher 3 has a superior open world
that was one of witcher 3's few negatives
it's a better game than bethesda's offerings, but it's worse open world
>>
>>341009713
you fit in now :)
>>
>>341010574
I'm sorry the truth hurts anon.
>>
>>341010476
>one of the best selling games ever thats still outselling brand new AAA games
>DID ANYONE EVEN LIKE IT LOL
i hate this fucking board
>>
>>341009713
Oh fuck right off.
>>
>>341009713
Lol okay, so what open worlds dont feel randomly generated to you?
>>
>>341010858
Every one not in a Bethesda game :^).
>>
File: CkzJ8pGXAAAm1du.jpg large.jpg (32 KB, 550x479) Image search: [Google]
CkzJ8pGXAAAm1du.jpg large.jpg
32 KB, 550x479
They are shit, but they are the closest thing to a big open world games that are fun to explore.
Its a shame they cant make interesting, alien worlds like they did with morrowind and the shivering isles expansion to oblivion. Instead they keep making these boring familiar worlds that just make me feel like going out for a walk in my backyard because the woods nearby are far more interesting than 90% of skyrim for example.
If only they would make them like RPG's again and focus on story/interaction instead of making an empty map with fucking crafting and nothing else.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.