[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MMO THREAD
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 42
File: 1znlfk4.png (203 KB, 760x525) Image search: [Google]
1znlfk4.png
203 KB, 760x525
Let's have a general MMO discussion.

What ruined MMOs?
How do we fix them?
What would your ideal MMO be like?
What MMOs are you currently playing/waiting for?
etc etc
>>
It was a social trend.
>>
>>340953753
>What ruined MMOs?
A mindset that catering to the demands of the audience is the best thing, IE "This is such a pain!" and handing it to them instead.
>How do we fix them?
A focus on what made MMOs successful in the first place; hard work for a sweet reward, a sense of wonderment and exploration, and a thriving community.
>What would your ideal MMO be like?
Honestly? I've played a few but I'm not sure. Each one of them was unique, special, and enjoyable in its own way.
>What MMO are you currently playing/waiting for?
Just finished with FFXIV for a while, considering popping into OSRS for a bit.
>>
>>340953753
>What ruined MMOs?
In no particular order: insufferable playerbases, casual pandering in game design that removes the need to build social bonds and overcome challenges with others, lack of creativity in game design (the formula has not changed all that much since the release of Everquest in 1999).

>How do we fix them?
Most are beyond repairing.
>>
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/socialization-and-mmos.109238/
>>
>>340953753
>What ruined MMOs?
Nothing. The problem is with the players, not the games.
>How do we fix them?
By stop being elitstic cunts
I don't know, but i feel like it has something to do with something very very old
>What MMOs are you currently playing/waiting for?
i'm not gonna ruin the playerbase by shilling it to you
>>
>>340953753
>What ruined MMOs?
Social media turning the internet into an extension of real life. After Facebook took off, people stopped trying to get to know each other in MMOs because they already have "real" friends.

>How do we fix them?
Scare people into knowing that putting every little personal detail of themselves online is incredibly stupid.

Nothing is class-restricted like most MMOs.
No "warring faction" bullshit.
Nothing that makes it feel like everything I do is just a reskinned version of doing something else in the game (e.g. kill X enemies quests, half of the skills in runescape).

None.
>>
>>340955234
>No "warring faction" bullshit.
What if you make the factions yourself?
>>
>>340955734
That's completely different.
>>
File: dungeon_finder.jpg (15 KB, 320x140) Image search: [Google]
dungeon_finder.jpg
15 KB, 320x140
>What ruined MMOs
WOW becoming the gold standard, MMOs have always been a niche market, WOW is the exception, not the norm, by trying to emulate WOW, which in itself built upon the foundation EQ1 layed out for the genre as a whole, they're doomed to fail, as WOW has over time stripped away every aspect that makes an MMO good from its core gameplay
>How can we fix it
Focus less on trying to balance your game around MMO tropes, like battlegrounds and linear as fuck dungeon loot grinds, and focus more on immersive, persistant, open world gameplay that happens to be on a server with hundreds of other players and gameplay that revolves aorund that
>What would the ideal MMO be like
EQ1 or Early WOW, but with a larger world and none of the tacked on UI shit that ruins MMOs, pic related
>What MMOs are you currently laying/waiting for
Playing haven and hearth, waiting for Chronicles of Elysia
>>
File: image.jpg (93 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
93 KB, 600x800
>theme park babies complaining that their genre is shit now

>mfw I'm enjoying the Eve sandbox

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cZoDicnKWrg
>>
Currently playing Oldschool Runescape

Fix mmos by making them like older mmos.

My ideal MMO would be WoW with older design philosophies.

I'm waiting for Crowfall to either save MMOs or put me into the grave.
>>
File: Why vidya a shit nowadays.png (12 KB, 671x173) Image search: [Google]
Why vidya a shit nowadays.png
12 KB, 671x173
>>340953753
>What ruined MMOs?
>>
>>340958174
What's on your mind with OSRS?
Currently subbed since the beginning here.
>>
Is there any MMO worth a shit that isn't dead or dying?
>>
>>340958295
That's some crafty bait.
>>
>>340958619
Nope.
>>
>>340958439
Been subbed since the beginning as well.

The dev team is a nice one, but the main issue they have is wanting to develop new content quickly, which leads to the reuse of assets which devalues older content. Slayer needs literally no more updates before other skills period. Updates should be given more appropriate time, as the catacombs are a great idea with only half-proper execution.

They also listen to Reddit too much for some of the ideas they implement, which is sometimes good, sometimes bad.

I'm happy with OSRS currently though, and have been.
>>
>>340958841
The last bit is a stretch since popularity does not necessarily equal quality but everything else is fairly spot on.
>>
>>340958619
A few out there are doing alright and there are a few in the pipeline that have potential.

I'm kinda burned out on MMOs though, can't trust most devs these days.
>>
>>340953753
i played OSRS recently and realized my love of runescape from long ago was just nostalgia, as an adult now i don't find it fun to just keep grinding at useless skills to go do more pointless things in a world that has no real purpose besides existing for you to go grind skills.

i bought membership for it even and i sort of regret it because now im not even playing it as i have better things to do with my time
>>
>>340960097
Thats what bots are for. Bot skills to do some L33t P0WN in wildy
>>
File: 1337131499110.gif (150 KB, 658x500) Image search: [Google]
1337131499110.gif
150 KB, 658x500
I miss EQ1 style quests.

Ones that tell you "Hey, bring me 20 pristine dragon scales" and you gotta somehow kill a bunch of Uber dragons, get the scales, then you turn it in and get a swag shield made of dragon scales that is actually worth a fuck.

Im tired of fetch quests for gear that gets replaced every single god damn patch for no reason other then its a flat upgrade due to bland as fuck game design.
>>
>>340953753
>What ruined MMOs?
What ruined it for me was Wikis and guides, Micro-transactions (P2W content for F2Ps, MTX in general for B2P/P2P games), focusing on endgame, accelerating players through content to get them to that endgame. Also RNG money sinks, I have shit luck when it comes to say having anything less than 100% chance of an upgrade at a Blacksmith.

>How do we fix them?
Keep trying new formulas or increasing the scale on other multiplayer games, a lot of MMOs make me feel like I'm playing the same thing with a different setting. ROTMG wasn't really an MMO but the perma-death aspect (especially without that amulet) was pretty fun.

There are also some ideas like making a game into an MMO would be an interesting to try out. We could definitely use more MMOFPS and settings that take place in space.

Open world RPG with no classes, action combat, a Wilderness like Runescape's, heavy focus on dungeon crawling and exploration. Permanent afflictions like de-leveling or stat draining (with stat boosting potions rare) that could be as bad as forcing a character to retire adventuring could be fun. But it would inevitably piss people off if they get trapped in a dungeon where they slowly die from an Arch-Lich permanently draining their strength and vitality stats, no chance to log-out because they're locked in combat.

Dream game would be MMOFPS that was a mix of 40k and Planetside 2 that takes place on multiple continents on each planet, across several planets in a system. Eternal Crusade is not making that dream come true until it has an open world.

No RPGs just Planetside 2, I've been spoiled after playing some RPGs with really fun combat I can't go back to standard stuff. I really want to stop but I have nothing else better to play.
>>
>What ruined MMOs?

1: the influx of normalfags to the internet and the success of WoW ruined the sandbox/roleplaying/building/etc. concept of an alternate life in games

2: the downfall of general internet socializing and in fact actual real life socializing and the brain rot that the you know who have ruined everyone's minds with ruined the actual good MMOs and not only them but everything

3: P2W/cash shop bullshit ruined even the shitty themepark casual MMOs that you could at least build stuff in or do dungeons or paperdoll your character

>How do we fix them?
We have to wait until the end of the world sadly, because the very brief period of history where people could actually think for themselves at least to some degree, and congregate without being fucked over for wrongthink is over, and this reflects on the entire society, art, entertainment, everything. It's only going to get shittier in our lifetimes.

SWG+UO+Rift's dimension system for building+EVE/SWG's JTL for space game, anyone who's played those knows what I'm talking about generally. In short the ultimate alternate world.

The only thing I'm still waiting for is the sweet release of death.
>>
I really wanna play some sweet mmo with my friends.
The problem is that i got a laptop, anyone can help me?
>>
>>340964793
Yes, someone probably can help you
>>
My roomie made a pretty decent rant on rebbit, in where you could replace blade and soul with every modern MMO and still get the same story without errors.
>>
>Get OSRS with membership
>Play for hours and hours
>Get to high levels on a lot of different skills
>Get a new PC that can play more demanding games
>Make a new account and sign up for membership
>Have finished tutorial island and nothing else in months

Wish you could delete or reset accounts to start again instead of making new ones.
>>
Just give me some good MMOs to play /v/

Pls...
>>
>>340966643
Are you korean? No? Then there are none.
>>
>>340966389
Why did you make a new guy? Seeing all the level up messages while they still take less than a bajillion exp per?
>>
>>340966643
this

Started playing Wildstar which seems okay but im told it's dying
>>
>>340967023
Friend wanted to start from scratch with me.
>>
>>340965998
Frankly, who would want to speak with somebody who talks that way? If I ever found myself in a party with living cancer like that, I'd just do the bare minimum to see things through and bail. Blacklist goes without saying, and that probably affects party chat messages.
>>
>>340967773
>Frankly, who would want to speak with somebody who talks that way?
what
>>
>>340968408
He is probably assuming that the guy rages all the time.

It's a common mannerism by shitposters to ignore any cause regarding any 'cause and effect' situation.
>>
>>340968701
That's because any MMO lets you form a party if you just talk to people. At least I have never played one that would force you to start a dungeon before letting other players join you. What the guy in the screencap is complaining about looks like a textbook description of a PUG, the hell that shitters who cannot communicate with human beings are rightfully sent to.
>>
>ESO now has 7 million players

...really?
>>
>>340971114
7 million buyers*

Its buy 2 play, they don't count subs.
>>
>>340970843
>if you're in a PUG, this means you cannot communicate with others
And now we're applying false correlations and absolutes.
>>
>>340971567

still I thought it was a flop
>>
>>340971898
Maybe you can, but then what the hell are you doing in a PUG, alone?
>>
>>340958619
I don't know about "worth a shit" but I started playing Skyforge last night and it's surprisingly managed to retain my interest thus far during day two.

I've heard the grind is insane plus there are weekly limits to how many certain items you can get (thus limiting the grind) but it's okay enough for a free timesink.
>>
>>340972596
it's pay2win, don't waste much more of your time. Wasted a few too many hours in that disappointment.
>>
File: pso20160610_211133_018.jpg (487 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
pso20160610_211133_018.jpg
487 KB, 1680x1050
>tfw still enjoying PSO2 after years of playing it since beta.
>tfw can't really recommend it to anybody else because of japanese and its not like other typical MMOs
>tfw I don't feel like playing it THAT much to lead a new guy around so he doesn't burn himself out from new player shock.
Suffering.
>>
>>340974321
Not surprising.

I did find a code for one free class unlock/mount/30days premium so I think I'll have an okay time with it. I only wanted a timesink anyhow.
>>
File: pso20160612_231519_001.jpg (299 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
pso20160612_231519_001.jpg
299 KB, 1366x768
>>340975006
Few people play MMOs for the gameplay anyway, and the tacked on grind can drive away even those enthusiasts.

>gathering
>>
>>340975006
I keep seeing PSO/PSO2 mentioned in MMO threads and never really looked into it. Could you tell me about some of the cool stuff in it? Looks like you can fly mecha or something, that alone has my interest.
>>
>>340976353
It's an action RPG series. They aren't MMOs, they are lobby online games.

Mecha is a PSO2 feature, and it's heavily limited.
>>
Just play Project Gorgon. Literally does everything you ask for.

They got death penalties when you want them, no death penalties when you don't. Fight a boss, get turned into a pig, up your beast speech skill so you can speak to other players, use your natural ability as a pig to find truffles, sell the truffles to people that need to raise cooking, mushroom lore, alchemy.

Or just get killed, learn more about death, then become a necromancer.
>>
>>340976702
So it's Vindictus but with robots and different cute girls?
>>
>>340976732
Project Gorgon is bad

>no pking

The entirety of the game, unless you do certain dungeons, is played solo.

>the director of Asherons Call
You didn't say he is in your post, but others have. He was a coder for Asheron's Call 2.
>>
Wow, TESO just killed itself I think.
>>
>>340977445
It was killed the day it was decided that it would be a theme park and not a sandbox.
>>
File: 1440398261652.jpg (160 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1440398261652.jpg
160 KB, 900x900
>>340976732
Please tell me more about this wow reskin with even shittier gimmicks.
>>
>>340977842
It's not a WoW reskin, but it's still pretty bad. Just go play Asheron's Call instead. Still, the devs do the best they can, there's only 2 people developing the game
>>
File: pso20160612_085808_000.jpg (489 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
pso20160612_085808_000.jpg
489 KB, 1680x1050
>>340976260
The gameplay is the exact reason i'm still playing though. The grind is largely unimportant though. You do gathering like what, a week to get enough to +20 a couple of rings that you want? I mean if you really need multiple rings for multiple classes...

>>340976353
>Could you tell me about some of the cool stuff in it?
The combat feels like an actual fucking video game, like QUALITY single player games where actions have feedback and your character isn't just a floaty akward representation of a human for the purpose of hitbox detection.

The sweet mecha stuff is limited to a couple of emergency quests, so they're a rare treat but I always look forward to it even though everybody else complains about MUH LAZY BOSS BATTLES. That said, you can make your character into a mini-mecha.

The actual level grind keeps getting reduced and its easy to hit max level, whereas the only relevant content is on scheduled time blocks of 30 minute quests, so I mean its not a "grind" in the same way other MMOs are grindy. You spend a lot of time just waiting for the next chance to get a thing rather than killing the same monster 800 times as you binge through the night on a mountain dew IV.

That's not to say you wont be running a lot of stupid shit in the mean time to get yourself up there, but that more or less depends on how much you want to make money and prep yourself for the next emergency quest.

Character creation is top fucking notch though, you can make a qt space waifu, slutty titmonster, complete abominations of flesh, sleek mecha, huge guntanks, or gigantic colorfuckfest eyerape robots. Check out this motherfucking Sigma I saw this morning.
>>
YOU HAVE YOUR OWN BOARD FOR FAGGY GENERALS FUCK OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
>>
>>340978592
>REEEE STOP TALKING ABOUT VIDEO GAAAAAMMMEEESSSSS
>>
File: 1443198875549.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1443198875549.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>340978243
>There's only 2 people developing the game.
D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D
>>
>>340978725
Don't respond to shitposters, newfriend.

>>340978851
Not him but Grim Dawn had two devs working part-time on the game for something dumb like five years before actually gaining a 'full' team, and that game came out great.
>>
>>340978313
what ship you on matey?
>>
>>340979128
Ship 4, if you're not already there its gone the way of australia and disabled new accounts. "We're full fuck off"
>>
File: pso20160509_035350_361.png (1 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
pso20160509_035350_361.png
1 MB, 1280x720
>>340979361
fucking rip, I've been thinking about abandoning Shit 2 I guess it's too late for me
>>
File: Siren.png (246 KB, 315x401) Image search: [Google]
Siren.png
246 KB, 315x401
>>340953753
Everquest was great but the death penalty was hardcore

>those boat rides from Freeport
>>
>>340977776

Yeah but like, they introduced level scaling for the whole game.

That's pretty retarded.
>>
>>340979727
>Playing EQ on a 56k
>On the boat
>Phone rings
>Heart sinks and your face goes pale
>>
File: Anon. No, really..jpg (107 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Anon. No, really..jpg
107 KB, 1024x768
>>340953753
>What ruined MMOs?
Pay to win and Korean cash shops.
>How do we fix them?
I don't think the games need to be fixed, but the communities. I've played terrible games made fun by large groups and not ignoring new players because they're new.

FFXIV
I have no hype for anything new since MOBAs have taken over. It's long past it's time but I've been playing Aion frequently. 5.0 is taking forever but I at least I know the music will be 10/10. Otherwise I dip into older games I simply can't let go of from time to time. Pic related.
>>
>>340954153
this
>>
>>340964793
>i got a laptop
>not getting a good laptop
My laptop is practically a tank and I can run plenty of mmos no problem. It's really my internet that holds me back sometimes.
>>
>>340980705
It was sort of redundant having player level AND skill levels in ESO. Works for the single player games since raising skills is what levels you up.

Not that I have any love for ESO. I tried playing it this very morning and was extremely off put by how theme park it is and went back to Eve. But this might be an interesting change for ESO
>>
>>340953753
Currently started playing runescape again. Newer version, not oldschool. I am actually having fun. Quests are better than ever, lots of content, can socialize with clan/friends chat even while doing solitary shit etc.

The new client makes the game both look and perform better. EOC was fucking shit at launch like everyone that played back then will admit, but it has become so vastly improved that I feel it now outclass the old system. Heck slap on revolution and you can play just like you used to. The only thing I vastly dislike is treasure hunter though everyone overdoes how pay2win it is. It is technically possible to max with it, but the closest anyone has come to that is by spending something close to 15k dollars, and they still lacked millions upon millions of xp. Oldschool has bonds just like maingame so p2w all around really.
>>
File: North Ro.png (446 KB, 1012x324) Image search: [Google]
North Ro.png
446 KB, 1012x324
>>340980761
>tfw giants near zoneline at docks
>>
File: destiny 1.jpg (59 KB, 800x475) Image search: [Google]
destiny 1.jpg
59 KB, 800x475
>>340954495
Yeah sure, MMOs are fine and the 180 in game design that occured after Everquest had mainstream success has nothing to do with the death of a successful genre.

That graveyard of WoW/EQ clones? Those sandbox games we keep going on about are still alive to this day.

I mean, I think it says a lot that not only is Ultima Online still running after 19 years, EA has a studio developing content for it, you know the company that is notorious for shutting shit down.

>>340958619
>>340958881
>>340959509
>>340966643
Shards Online
Chronicles of Elyria
Project Gorgon
Gloria Victis
Identity
The Repopulation

>>340977842
>Calling an Asheron's Call clone (because it's made by the creative director of AC and his wife) a WoW clone
kill yourself
>>
>>340983145
>creative director of asherons call

Kill yourself. He was a coder for asherons call. He was the creative director of fucking Star Trek online.

Stop shilling that shit here
>>
File: 1464475971402.gif (728 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
1464475971402.gif
728 KB, 480x270
1. Dunno.
2. Less scripted stuff, more ~freedom~.
3. Survival sandbox 2D medieval medium fantasy + intelligent npcs/monster doing their own thing (it seems spatialOS made it possible).
4. Waiting for Chronicles of Elyria, not playing anything right now. Used to play Tibia, but it's shit nowadays.

If only there was a mmo with everything CoE is promising, but without the whole "lol magic is rare" and more freedom regarding player politics...
>>
File: ffxiv_06122016_235706.png (3 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
ffxiv_06122016_235706.png
3 MB, 1600x900
Why the fuck aren't you playing FFXIV right now /v/? Patch 3.3 just came out and there's a lot of catching up to do and gil to spend on like houses and glamour!
>>
>>340964793
how strong is your laptop? Is it windows, mac, chromebook? gotta get us some stats. Either way, if you have a newer laptop, you should be able to play most mmos on the lowest setting
>>
>>340985446
Loved this game during 2.0, 3.0 was so bad it made me quit and never look back
>>
So im looking for a MMO to play, I used to play SWTOR but im sooo bored. i remember a MMO a few years ago that had 4 starting areas/ classes. and one of the classes/races was like a viking race, very pretty looking game but i cant remember the name of it for the life of me.
>>
>>340958619
>>340985446
ff14 is 2nd most subscribed mmo currently
>>
>>340985446
what an awful mmo.
>>
>>340985726
you should try it out again when another one of those free trials comes around. They've added a ton of new content, and the 50-60 skills really change things up. If you're into themepark mmos, this is the best one currently on the market imo
>>
Is RS3 fun if I want to complete quests/tasks and the occasional chat?
>>
>>340982105
I'm going to disagree with you on quests and combat. Between all this god faggotry and having your character get all friendly with these superpowered dudes instead of being as insignificant as the next guy, they feel the need to insert another amazing cutscene that their engine can barely handle and skips if you click anything. There's also introducing some no-name faglord from left field that only some lore autist will have faint knowledge of only for them to die or do something epic for the win and fuck off to never be seen again. The quests released in the past couple years have been the first outside of Ratcatchers that I can honestly say I'd never like to do again.

Revolution feels like you're gimping yourself when compared to full manual, and even with 99s I don't have enough useful abilities to fill all the slots. Manual provides something to do to speed up the grind, even if it does require more attention. Revolution has your character controlled by a retarded AI, and I can't help but feel that people that claim it replicates oldschool combat or even remotely fixes combat in general are too ignorant, new, or paid for (probably all three) to understand the nuances of combat before EoC. EoC may not have been necessary and included a fuckton of retarded changes (tiers, weaknesses for entire side of combat triangle instead of specific types of damage, gear having no extraneous bonuses IE neitiznot providing mage defense and no mage attack penalty) but Revolution does nothing to fix what it broke.

tldr stop having fun
>>
>>340954176

FFXIV is a key example of this trend; you can easily get carried to 60, get carried through content, and get into On Patch high level raids, where you will cause party wipes because you're total trash.
>>
>>340985726
heavensward literally saved the game, what are you talking about?
>>
I'm almost afraid to bring it up, but whatever happened to Tree of Savior? Wasn't that supposed to be the resurgence of RO like MMOs? I haven't seen a peep about it lately.

please be good news, i would hate to find out it's shit. i fucked up and got my hopes up for it
>>
>>340986140
I hate that shit. they should require noobs to run through that adventurer academy or whatever it is and actually run low-level dungeons. Otherwise you just don't know what tf you're doing, and ruin it for the rest of us
>>
>>340986023
Can you read, faggot? I played 3.0. Quit when 3.1 came out and played for about a week when 3.2 came out

>if you're into theme park mmos
Not any more I'm not, and 3.0 is partly the reason why
>>
>>340986554
oh ok, if you're not into themepark mmos anymore, than obviously ffxiv isn't for you. i'm curious, what made you love 2.0 so much compared to 3.0?
>>
>>340986072
>quests
even newer ones provide some enjoyment, expect simplistic puzzles with occasionally inane solutions that require a guide
>tasks
combat is alright, itemization isn't terribly great but there's a decent variety of stuff to use, skilling is about as afk as they could make it without just letting you bot to 200m exp
>chat
mostly dead or sub-reddit-tier, you are dealing with a playerbase made of 12 year olds and people with the mental capacity of 12 year olds

don't fall for the microtransactions
>>
>>340986284
You fucked up
>>
>>340985446
I tried 5 seperate times to enjoy it, trying something different each time with different mind sets, but I could never enjoy it, it just wasn't fun for me.
>>
>>340985446
Because there are several free MMOs that do not have such fundamental flaws as XIV does, among many other things.
>>
>>340987719
florenisa would be great if they fixed the lag
>>
File: LOGIN_IMAGE_GRANDMASTER_KOR.png (618 KB, 1024x605) Image search: [Google]
LOGIN_IMAGE_GRANDMASTER_KOR.png
618 KB, 1024x605
>>340953753
>Ideal MMO
Mabinogi 2, updated graphics and engine, and this will never change for me, there's something beautiful about that game, something charming about just seeing a group of lowbies running all the way to Dunbarton with merchant sacks or just doing generation quests at your own pace. The whole game just breaths a sort of freedom, where you're not in a rush to reach maximum level, you just do what you want, as you please.
The easygoing nature of the game just keeps me going.
>>
>>340987719
what are these fundamental flaws?
>>
Real life.
>>
File: tank bros.jpg (408 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
tank bros.jpg
408 KB, 2560x1440
>>340985446
>want to play FFXIV
>servers still full with queues

sucks ass
>>
>>340980705
>>340981872

They never should have had character levels in the first place. Your skill lines and individual skill levels give you that sense of progression as needed. Just make gear tied to your skill lines like to use a top tier sword, you need 50 in either dual wielding or one handed and shield. To use top tier heavy armor, 50 in heavy armor.

Done and done.

You have champion points as well to give you health/magicka/stamina and innate character perks.

Just remove character levels, redo how gear is distributed to skill line level, leave champion points. Done.
>>
>>340985446

because a 2.5s gcd absolutely makes the game unplayable for me. I did the trial and uninstalled because I could not tolerate the combat.

I wanted to like it, I wanted a magitek mount and all that.. but the combat was awful. Worst MMO combat I've ever experienced.
>>
>>340985446
>playing a content driven themepark
No thanks. I've had 12 years of NOTHING BUT THIS SHIT

I want something like UO or Galaxies or EVE. I am so fucking sick of collecting 10 boar assholes for some NPC only to get to the next NPC to do the same shit.
>>
>>340989125
This. I quit XIV and out of desperation tried Eve's trail.

Blew up two Thanatoses today with my alliance, fun fucking game
>>
>>340988615
Lack of meaningful player interaction
Gameplay being shit due to supporting thousands of players without taking advantage of those thousands of players
Content drought because you're only given what the devs give you and content is faster to run through than it is to create

Not interested. I'll take a game like UO over FFXIV any day of the week, and that's a shame that a game did things better 19 years ago.
>>
>>340989374
>Content drought because you're only given what the devs give you and content is faster to run through than it is to create
Question: How do fix or otherwise overcome this? Just have a big enough team to pump out updates, or make everything a huge grindfest? Maybe making new stuff interact with old stuff?
>>
>>340988615
How AoEs are designed, for one.

>AoE indicator on ground
>AoE doesn't actually occur while the indicator is visible
>it's a time limit to where if you're in the designated zone when it disappears, you are hit by the attack no matter where you are on the map when the attack actually goes off
Meanwhile, as a quick example, I can fire up RIFT--a now-f2p MMO--and have properly functioning AoEs to where I can be hit by an attack, run out, not be hit by the attack anymore, and I can even run back in and be hit by the attack.

Many other paid MMOs, and even free MMOs, do this. They don't punish you for no fucking reason nor have this terrible glaring flaw.
But by all means, call me bad or offer some other horseshit excuse. I don't think I've ever explained this to an XIV player and actually had it acknowledged as a problem.
>>
>>340989872
I've had the same problem occur as well during low levels, it got really tiring to get hit even when I left the area, and even more tiring when moving backwards as slower than molasses.
>>
>>340988769
that's a really cool pic anon
>>
>>340953753
I just discovered this roblox game called Tradelands recently, I think this game pretty much the closest thing I can find to a decent MMO besides OSRS, which is saying something. Honestly, I think this game sets the standard for what MMO's should be, player-driven, different skills being a bitch to level up, although it lacks the huge world. Try it out sometime (no shilling).
>>
>>340989784
Make the game a sandbox where players create the content through emergent gameplay. Just look at the huge war going on in Eve right now
>>
>>340990051
It got tiring when I was still dealing with this bullshit in level 40 dungeons.
>>
File: witcher 1 geralt.jpg (61 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
witcher 1 geralt.jpg
61 KB, 800x600
>>340989784
This anon is right
>>340990246

I can still log into a game that hasn't been updated in years (SWGEmu) and have an enjoyable time every time I log in, and I've been playing since 2003.

I'm not nostalgiafagging, a sandbox design solves a lot of the problems people think come along with MMOs (because they haven't played anything like this since we haven't had anything like this since 2003 when Galaxies/EVE came out)
>>
File: SpatialOS-730x449.jpg (57 KB, 730x449) Image search: [Google]
SpatialOS-730x449.jpg
57 KB, 730x449
Regarding the whole "fixing MMOs", what do you guys think of this SpatialOS? In short, it'll allow mass simulation.

From what I've heard, it seems to enable some interessing stuff, like giving some degree of autonomy to NPCs and monster (e.g. have monsters walking around looking for food and shelter instead of simply being stationed somewhere waiting for a player to appear) without making the game awfully slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJFwaY30rvM
>>
>>340988984
how is 2.5s gcd absolutely unplayable?
that's like one extra second after WoW's GCD.
>>
>Go to mmorpg.com
>look up the latest #1 trending MMO
>read description
>YOU CAN LITERALLY DO ANYTHING
>game comes out
>its awful

One of these days they'll get it right.
>>
I'm playing Atlantica and Gloria Victis at the moment.

The former is still decent, the latter needs polish but the idea is there.
>>
>>340990690
Couldn't you be a cheapskate and assign NPCs schedules where they'd be instructed to go to a certain place/do a certain thing at a certain time a la Oblivion, or is that what makes it slow?
>>
File: witcher movie.png (4 MB, 2448x1116) Image search: [Google]
witcher movie.png
4 MB, 2448x1116
>>340990690
All I know is that two of my most awaited MMOs (Worlds Adrift and Chronicles of Elyria) are using it and it's very interesting tech.

I'd love to see what a AAA dev would do with it, but I don't see that happening. Why would a publisher risk a 50-100 million dollar investment when they can simply make a moba/class shooter with a fraction of that.

I'd argue a AAA sandbox would be a guaranteed success, but publishers obviously don't see it that way since we haven't had one since 2003.
>>
I've tried getting into FFXIV over and over. Being able to switch classes easily, play with a controller, and the general Final Fantasy theme are so appealing but sweet fucking ninja monkey jesus the combat bores me to tears.
>>
>>340990879
Let me guess, Black Desert? You retards didn't listen to me when I said it'd be shit due to the changes they made during CBT towards a more themepark design.
http://black-desert.com/articles/black-desert-how-we-were-expect-it-to-be-and-how-it-is-now/
>>
>>340957428
>tfw eve online is a perfect mmo
>tfw it will remain that way due to retards are unable to touch the game due to it being too hard to get into
Shiny and fuckin chrome mang
>>
>>340953753
Need more good combat like tera
>>
>>340990985
I don't really know anything about programming, but programming an NPC to do some stuff (e.g. look for food) doesn't seem like a huge problem. On the other hand, programming 30K NPCs and monsters to continuously do stuff would probably makes things slow.

Some games might try to give you the feel the npcs/monsters are actually doing something by having some changes from time to time (like some traveller npc only appearing from time to time), but it's not the same thing.
>>
>>340991804
TERA's combat isn't even that good. Hitboxes are laughable and its basically just a "Don't stand in the red circle" dance.

Theres like 6 boss types from level 1-65 and they're all just recolors of eachother.
>>
File: radar.png (89 KB, 406x406) Image search: [Google]
radar.png
89 KB, 406x406
>>340991804
>we need more floaty flashy weeb shit combat while the autists collect their 10 boar assholes

You must be one of the retarded MMO tourists going from MMO to MMO thinking "THIS IS GOING TO BE THE ONE I FALL IN LOVE WITH"

Good goy :^)
>>
File: 1411443972606.png (332 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1411443972606.png
332 KB, 500x375
>>340991804
>Skill spam
>Good

Will you fucks please stop this, RPG combat should be about depth and figuring out how to kill your enemies, not fucking spamming slam followed by cleave for hours on end.
>>
>>340983145
>Gloria Victis
Lol
>>
>>340990769

because it's like twice the downtime between using skills or even autoattacking. The combat feels slow, clunky, and boring.
>>
File: I call this one Mega Devolution.jpg (129 KB, 646x861) Image search: [Google]
I call this one Mega Devolution.jpg
129 KB, 646x861
>run Lvl60 Roulette in FFXIV, get Amdapor City hard
>Party is pretty good, everyone crack a few jokes
>we get to the mana pots right before we get to the last boss
>"You have been dismissed from both the party and the duty."
>literally no word from party prior to this point that I was doing something that would get me kicked

I hate getting matched with premades sometimes.
>>
>>340991094
I don't really care about AAA titles, but even non-AAA sandboxes are scarce. Aside from Eve and Haven and Hearth, I can't name any other sandbox mmo that isn't "still in development" or something like that. Maybe this spatialOS thing makes sandboxes more viable and attractive, who knows?
>>
>>340992149
>>340992069
>>340992015
>mad xiv fags that can't handle combat going faster than 1mph
Kek
>>
File: mnk.png (481 KB, 1858x1004) Image search: [Google]
mnk.png
481 KB, 1858x1004
>>340992660
>what are oGCD attacks
>>
>>340993185
XIV is just as bad as tera when it comes to skill spam.

Its 2016, and we're using the same fucking gameplay design that EQ used over 15 years ago
>>
>>340993185
I'm not a XIV fag, I'm an EVE/UO/Galaxies player.

I'm more than happy to make sacrifices in gameplay to have an actual immersive experience.
>>
>>340992660
Stop trying to argue with it.
>>
File: shards online.jpg (251 KB, 1268x840) Image search: [Google]
shards online.jpg
251 KB, 1268x840
>>340992936
Shards Online
Chronicles of Elyria
Project Gorgon
Gloria Victis
Identity
The Repopulation

Hardly scarce. Pic related
>>
>>340993480
All dead
>>
>>340993480
ahha, i hadn't seen that image before. That makes me way more interested in shards than i was already and i'm aware I am a huge retard.
Is it playable at the moment? I'll look it up now.
>>
>>340993328
>we're using the same fucking gameplay design that EQ used

t. someone who never played EQ
>>
File: 1458191296658.png (129 KB, 348x566) Image search: [Google]
1458191296658.png
129 KB, 348x566
>>340993480
Spoiler: They're all horribly executed.
Keep shilling these shitshows, anon.
>>
>>340993736
Yep playable, post your email and I'll send you a 7 day trial key

>>340993480
>dead
You must be one of those retards shitting on Star Citizen for taking too long
"where's muh Kickstarter MMO? It's been TWO WHOLE YEARS!"
>>
>>340994026
>Diabolo

K
>>
>>340994026
Hi dev
>>
>>340994218
>typo discredits your entire argument
It's a troll image I made up but most games take 7 years to make.
>>
>>340994307
>troll
Lol haha>>340994307
>>
>>340994269
I am a dev, just not a MMO dev. I just hate armchair game producer expecting unrealistic deadlines for crowdfunded projects
>>
>>340994026
>bad games take longer to make
then why are they still made?
>>
>>340985832
He said "worth a shit"
>>
>>340993480
Aren't most of them still in development? I was talking about games that already launched. Btw, 6 MMOs isn't much compared to how many MMOs are out there.
>>
>>340953753
I think MMOs are too combat based. I'd like an mmo where you could just hang out and play minigames and also have lots of ways to screw around with other players. Make certain classes better at certain mini games. Think of like the game Bully and you can mess with other players, it would need better multiplayer mini games tho.
>>
>>340994437
Confirmed cuck. KYS
>>
>>340976732
The sad part is it is actually so fun that I really wish you would stop posting about it. I really want to keep /v/ shitty community out of this game
>>
>>340993740
No, EQ1 set the precidence of MMOs being focused around hotbar and keybinds to spam abilities, Tera isn't an evoution of that, they just removed tab targeting.
>>
>>340995054
This. Project Gorgon works because it isn't a wiki game
>>
>>340993320

They're skills that can be used off the GCD but tend to have longer cooldowns. Don't even show me the webms of people attacking target dummies using all their oGCD attacks in a row. We notice the long ass pause at the end (after about 20s of actual fluid combat) where he's run out of cooldowns and has to wait for the GCD.
>>
>>340993185
XIV is garbage too, and even worse than TERA.
Good job pointing fingers though, shows you don't really particularly care about the genre and just trying to one-up some other faction to high five your dudebros.

If you wanted "Fast" combat you'd play Vindictus or PSO2.
>>
File: RuneScapeLogo.png (13 KB, 444x142) Image search: [Google]
RuneScapeLogo.png
13 KB, 444x142
What's your opinion on the current Runescape 2 guys?
>>
>>340994636
>>340994636
>I'd like an mmo where you could just hang out and play minigames and also have lots of ways to screw around with other players.
Ever heard of club penguin

:^)
>>
>>340996712
I enjoy the fact that it gets more players than buyscape which really pisses my cousin off because he's an eoc shill.
>>
File: 1458570351575.jpg (761 KB, 1920x817) Image search: [Google]
1458570351575.jpg
761 KB, 1920x817
r8

>30 different classes
>primary class is selected at character creation and is permanent for that character
>secondary classes are earned via specific quests, every class can be unlocked as secondary
>no leveling system
>abilities and passives are unlocked via spending skill points in talent trees
>skill points are obtained by using power crystals (lack of a better term)
>power crystals are obtained from rare mobs
>rare mobs are just normal mobs that spawned with slightly higher stats and a colored aura (small chance of occurring based on mob's "level")
>power crystals are tradeable
>maximum of 100 skill points
>skill points and secondary class can be changed and redistributed for free at any inn
>can mix and match various classes together like Berserker/Pyromancer or Necromancer/Druid for example, or can choose to invest all 100 points into your primary tree and be a pure Berserker, Necromancer, etc.
>skill points in secondary tree can not exceed the amount of skill points in primary tree
>every class, no matter the configuration, will have 30-40 different abilities when all 100 skill points are spent
>every class has a different purpose in combat. some are damage dealers, some are healers, some are controllers, some are buffers/support, some are debuffers, some can perform multiple roles albeit not as well as a pure, etc.
>combat functions identically to WoW, but on a modern engine that's even smoother and less laggy
>every mob in the game is assigned a class and skill point distribution, only use abilities that players can use themselves
>PvE functions identically to PvP, just against mobs with scaling AI based on preset difficulty
>>
>>340985446
So you like playing the same shit over and over? Le wait for new patch for 2 new dungeons, 4 new raids OR le 2 new dungeons and a shit tier 24 man raid.

No thanks bruh, i did that shit from 2.0 all the way to 3.1
>>
File: 1458458740880.jpg (994 KB, 1920x1170) Image search: [Google]
1458458740880.jpg
994 KB, 1920x1170
>>340997768

>crafting professions work on a 1000-point system
>utilizing a profession skill rewards a certain amount of points, points effectively serve as levels
>creating a high level chestplate will yield 3 Armorsmithing points for example
>When a player reaches 1000 profession points, gaining new points will push the oldest profession points out and replace them
>specializing and maintaining a particular profession point build requires a lot of maintenance and dedication
>crafting armor/weapons involves getting the raw materials (metal/skins/cloth/wood/etc) and imbuing them with "augments"
>every single item in the game serves as an augment and correlates to a stat/stat value
>a certain fish for example, when its imbued with a piece of crafted armor, will add +1 to swimming speed
>a different fish will add +1 underwater breathing for example
>endgame monsters like helldemons or dragons will drop their teeth and eyes and scales that will add +5 fire resistance or +5 slashing damage, for example
>hundreds of different stats will exist in the game, many of which being non-combat oriented
>being a higher level blacksmith/tailor/craftsman will allows you to imbue more augments with a single piece of gear
>gear appearance is determined by the highest stat on the item, gear with +fire damage as the highest stat will be tinted red/fiery themed, etc.
>this system allows every possible stat permutation on gear to be accessible to players
>armor type (cloth/leather/mail/plate) isn't limited to certain classes
>every class can wear any type of weapon/armor, there are no level restrictions/requirements on gear either
>all items can be traded always, no soulbinding
>armor type will have different combat effects based on armor slot
>plate armor in the leg slot will greatly increase magical snare duration while greatly decreasing physical snare duration, cloth armor in the leg slot will greatly reduce magical snare duration while greatly increasing physical snare duration
>>
File: 1463476273115.jpg (265 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
1463476273115.jpg
265 KB, 720x1080
>>340997873

>gathering professions aren't tied to a level or points system
>gathering efficiency and potential is based on tools/equipment used
>attempting to mine a high level mineral node with a starter pickaxe will take an hour to do, but can still be done
>getting higher quality pickaxes through blacksmithing/questing will reduce time spent mining mineral nodes by a certain %, allowing miners to gather high level nodes in a timely manner
>minerals don't just regenerate in specific spots randomly, they replenish in volcanic areas sporadically (oceanic vents on the seafloor, volcanic eruptions, deep caverns)
>woodcutting works identically to blacksmithing
>trees don't grow back automatically, saplings must be planted and roughly one week (depending on tree type) must pass before wood is harvestable from that tree
>fishing success is based on area, fishing rod, and bait utilized
>a tier 1 fish caught with worms is used to catch a tier 2 fish, a tier 2 fish is used to catch a tier 3 fish, etc
>farming success is based on soil quality, seed type, and nurturing crops during their growth properly
>inventory space is limited via a weight system
>players utilize constructed wagons with beasts of burden to transport large amounts of resources
>>
>>340996712
Going down the same path they did before. It's only a matter of time.
>>
>>340993185
its shit, same fucking thing over and over. Dragoon and I played a mch here. Beat the all the raids before the nerf patches hit. Get over it, its a shit game, same patches over and over. Except now instead of 3 dungeons, you get two.
top kek, fuck yoshi p
>>
File: 1459222745730.jpg (758 KB, 1642x2000) Image search: [Google]
1459222745730.jpg
758 KB, 1642x2000
>>340997967

>entire world is spherical, no running into invisible walls and artifical barriers at the map's end like you do with flat plane worlds
>entire world is open, free for all PvP except for the safe starting area
>items may drop on death based on server type you choose to play on (hardcore or standard)
>attacking and killing an innocent player marks you with a red icon (red-handed), attacking a red-handed player does not mark you with as red-handed
>killing a red-handed player yields a criminal's head, criminals' heads can be traded at NPCs for useful items
>entire world outside of safe zone can be built upon freely by players utilizing the construction skill
>player structures can also be freely attacked and destroyed
>players can also craft siege devices (cannons, catapults, etc) using the construction skill which are very efficient at taking down player structures
>storage in the safe area is extremely limited, players must look to set up storage in unsafe area to store a large amount of items if they wish to do so
>storage can be accessed by anyone, but storage containers can also be locked
>locks on storage containers can be picked by players with the proper items
>endgame will involve groups of players walling off important resource areas (mines, tree farms, etc) with constructed walls, basing villages around these areas, and defending them from opposing guilds looking to access these resources
>>
>>340993480
>Gloria Victis
Actually good so please don't put in in the same group as the other, bad, games.
>>
>>340998071
I've played BDO and it gets boooringggg due to grind.
>>
>>340997768
>every class has a different purpose in combat. some are damage dealers, some are healers, some are controllers, some are buffers/support, some are debuffers, some can perform multiple roles albeit not as well as a pure, etc.
Can you think of 30 meaningful roles to differentiate even the base classes, never mind the 870 possible class combinations, in combat?

The entire greentext looks like a delusion of grandeur at its finest. I'm almost sure there's a 20 player MUD that attempted something similar out there already.
>>
>>340998850
>Can you think of 30 meaningful roles to differentiate even the base classes
Easily. Especially since the game is based around PvP.
>>
File: heee.jpg (553 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
heee.jpg
553 KB, 1680x1050
>>
File: 1465796451583.png (1 MB, 1271x585) Image search: [Google]
1465796451583.png
1 MB, 1271x585
>>340953753
>What ruined MMOs?
This guy spelled it out perfectly. >>340954176

>How do we fix them?
Combat, especially PvP, of TERA, amount of things to do of Mabi, honestly that would be the bomb. I think a good MMO needs to have a lot else to do than normal combat, since there's a lot of love and effort we put into characters.

Oh, the above I guess. One that just... gets it right.

Waiting on Maplestory 2, playing Mabi after a long hiatus. Fresh start and somehow it's fun again. Reviving the general on /vg/ at last.
>>
>>340996712
They don't know what made it good so they're asking the players what they want, and the players don't know what made it good either.
>>
File: 1452441841919.jpg (54 KB, 859x572) Image search: [Google]
1452441841919.jpg
54 KB, 859x572
>>340997768
>>340997873
>>340997967
>>340998071
Some of your stuff is ok, but most of it is cancer.
>>
File: 1463508800013.jpg (44 KB, 660x611) Image search: [Google]
1463508800013.jpg
44 KB, 660x611
>>341003054
explain tho
>>
First and foremost the MMO has to be immersive.

The first thing that needs to go is excessive UI elements that has nothing to do with gameplay or direct player interaction, such as quest trackers, party queues, and minigames.
>>
>>340997768
saw it in the last thread and thought it was dumb, opinion is unchanged
How are you going to make 870 combinations (like that other guy said) and have them be unique enough to matter, as opposed to, say, 5 different classes for 20 combinations that provide meaningful differences in abilities?
Why would you just let a player respec for free at any inn instead of providing some kind of consequence for poor choices?
How are you going to keep track of/care about 30-40 abilities? Will they be like classes where they're just samefaggotry?
Are your only enemies humans/[player race(s)]? Why not have unique bossfights that use shit no player could get?
>>340997873
Even if you have 1k points to max out a skill, that's only 1k actions at 1 point per action. I think you seriously underestimate the autism people can expend, you'll have a bunch of master crafters in no time.
What's stopping a richfag from twinking his new account/ruining the economy and PvE/PvP by handing out sets of fuckyouium platemail to every new player, and every new player being able to use it?
Why fight bosses when you can just buy their shit?
this post is the least retarded which is not saying much
>>340997967
What's going to keep bots from using shit-tier gear to gather high-level stuff 24/7 and still flood the market?
Where are you going to get tree seeds from, and how will you guarantee people with seeds will plant them? Wouldn't the world be deforested in a week if you had enough people, and then they'd be forced to wait until next week to do it all over again?
Fishing would take forever unless you could somehow catch multiple fish of a tier
>weight system
>repeating the mistakes bethesda has of becoming overburdened by picking up 0.1 too many lbs/kg
>>340998071
>FFA PvP everywhere
maybe this is all just elaborate bait
end game will involve groups of players slaughtering anyone who dares step outside the safe area

2k characters rip rest of my criticism faggotry
>>
File: u6UJDyK.jpg (414 KB, 1728x1165) Image search: [Google]
u6UJDyK.jpg
414 KB, 1728x1165
>>340994026
Fixed.
>>
>>341005192
shit how long did half life take to make
>>
>>341005413
It took half a life to make.
Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.