[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ITT: Games you never understood the appeal of. Pic related,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: Raiden_arcadeflyer.png (272 KB, 300x425) Image search: [Google]
Raiden_arcadeflyer.png
272 KB, 300x425
>ITT: Games you never understood the appeal of.

Pic related, this dated shit and its backwards sequels.
>>
File: 0000.png (132 KB, 240x320) Image search: [Google]
0000.png
132 KB, 240x320
I understand that but I really can't hate the series thanks to the fucking gorgeous spritework and explosion juice in 2 as well as the entire series' music

I'm really not a fan of the "enemies spawn from the fucking back during a boss fight or any stage segment where that directly fucks you over" design mentality but I like the games for what they are

4 is a lot more tolerable in that department
>>
>>340946761
What a very strange game to see someone on /v/ offer criticism about.

Who is going around seeing the praises of Raiden so much to bother you? It's a good game, but nearly forgotten. When it was new it was quite impressive.
>>
>>340946761
I remember sinking a ton of hours on a Newgrounds version of that game. When I played it at school some kid called me autistic because he couldn't believe my bullet dodging skills
>>
File: 1463599590146.jpg (38 KB, 362x346) Image search: [Google]
1463599590146.jpg
38 KB, 362x346
Raiden rules why the hate
>>
File: 1408157445073.jpg (59 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1408157445073.jpg
59 KB, 640x480
>>340949291
It's because everybody I've talked to about SHMUPs in real life praises Raiden like no tomorrow, despite playing it in the late 90s when many superior CAVE/Raizing SHMUPS have been released.

It's fine for 1990, but when RF Jet comes out in '99 and still has a hitbox half the size of the screen then you know something's wrong
>>
>>340952790
its a well polished toaplan tribute

what's not to like
>>
>>340952790
Lol the Cult of STG for you everyone. Apparently having your hitbox be your ship is antiquated. Btw raiden 5 just came out and Cave/Raizing have both been defunct from the shmup scene for 5 years. Who's really dated?
>>
At my local arcade they've got Raiden II, Viper Phase-01 and Raiden Fighters Jet with a non-working coin-slot. They're the only SHMUPs there other than those on a sketchy Chinese MVS emulator cabinet and I want to 1cc them.

Anybody have a strategy for Seibu Kaihatsu games that could net me high scores? I keep getting my ass handed to me because I try to play it like DoDonPachi or Ketsui.
>>
>>340954846
switch up your weapons often

i usually go spread/purple for the stage and laser for bosses
>>
>>340952790
>superior CAVE/Raizing SHMUPS

My fucking sides.
>>
Is Raiden V any good? I want the physical version but for whatever reason it's a bit expensive to import compared to other jap xbone games like Stranger of Sword City.
>>
>>340955428
The problem with laser for the bosses is that it makes picking off the tanks and helis that inevitably spawn extremely frustrating, especially when they're firing aimed shots.
>>
>>340954846
>Anybody have a strategy for Seibu Kaihatsu games that could net me high scores? I keep getting my ass handed to me because I try to play it like DoDonPachi or Ketsui.
As far as I'm aware, raiden strategy is generally just "kill everything as fast as possible and don't die." You'll want to learn the points where enemies spawn behind you or low on the screen, they're generally placed in really tricky spots where your attention is likely to be focused elsewhere and you need some planned maneuvers to dodge them alongside what you're fighting up front.

Your best bet is probably sticking to red weapon while you're getting the hang of the game, until you can easily hit max power and hold onto it switching weapons around is kind of hard and isn't going to get you much mileage
>>
>>340956058
yeah in that case you shouldn't move left to right too often

tanks can't spawn in the spawn point isn't on the screen, they can't shoot either if they're not on the screen
>>
>>340954846

Only use W in Viper.

Thank me later.
>>
>>340956058
Yeah that's why you go laser+homing and spread+normal. That way your missiles complement your shot and make up where they lack. It also never hurts to know exactly what's going to hit you so you can hit them first but that just comes with time and repetition.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.