[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Bosses with the most bullshit, frustratingly exciting game
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12
File: fair.png (1 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
fair.png
1 MB, 1440x900
ITT: Bosses with the most bullshit, frustratingly exciting game mechanics.
>>
>>340895210
as a boss he's really cool, but having to spam thunder surge + dodge over and over was so fucking dumb and one combo can fucking kill you.
>>
>>340895445
>having to spam thunder surge
git gud.

I mean, the hightlighted one and Barrier Surge are the only ones in this deck. Fission Firaga works really well on him and I use it to get into Blade Charge.
>>
>>340896338
>risking getting fucked into oblivion by one combo

yeah, nah. that's not "gitting gud"
>>
i hope that birth by sleep's less-than-stellar gameplay philosophy doesn't affect kingdom hearts 3, but that's unlikely
>>
That one in sonic 06 that goes "TAKE THIS" or something like that
>>
>>340896607
>Knowing when to dodge and block to the point that you don't need to use the GameFaqs Cheese Strategy to win isn't "getting gud"
wat
>>
>>340895210

is that kotor3?
>>
>>340897695
You talkin' shit on style changing?
>>
>>340898585
no it's the difference between how fun it was to combo and fight bosses in 2fm and how monotonous it is to dodgespam bosses in bbs and realize you can't combo them
>>
>>340897792
i loled for some reason, idk why
>>
>>340898996
>>340898585
also there was some long video that talked about that in more detail, as well as bbs in general. anybody have that one?
>>
>>340898996
I can see that. There aren't many obvious combo opportunities on BbS's bosses. You can still do -some- combos though.
Enemies didn't really have as much break-out before and most most comboing was aerial. Now, sometimes Mysterious Figure can just reprisal barrier you in the middle of it if you're unlucky, but, you can still try a three hit combo into Thunder Surge, for example. The trick to getting things to hit on him is pulling the stick away from the character when you start this, because it generates a different "auto-attack" (a lunging thrust on most characters) than if you're closer and pushing towards him (which on Aqua for example, is an attack where she does backflips towards the opponent blade-first).
Linking attacks is more about that sort of positioning than 2 was, but regardless, yeah, you can't combo shit in comparison to 2fm.
>>
>>340895210
I recently beat Birth By sleep
What the fuck is that?
>>
>>340901489
in the video i mentioned before it talks about how, even though there are combos (very short), that bosses can just randomly break out by teleporting, countering, or just randomly not suffering hitstun. it reduces the incentive to fight and makes the best option to spam commands. i'll find it soon
>>
File: mashO.png (2 MB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
mashO.png
2 MB, 1440x900
>>340902351
You should equip two curagas and a lot of thunder surges and bo back to the starting world. You're in for a treat.
>>
>>340902401
yeah, that's what I was talking about with the "break-out" in my post ast well. Is it all luck that sometimes they'll just up and decide to not suffer hit-stun? or in this case, decide to break out and heal-block?

I do agree, that shit shouldn't be around for 3. Bosses only need break-out and invuln when they're changing up boss-phases. 2 and 2FM were really good about that. (one example that comes to mind is Saix. Breaks out at certain healths. Always fully invuln the several times he transforms. etc.)
>>
>>340897792
>star wars (and marvel) pretty much confirmed for 3
>entirely plausible there will be an ethereal blade v. lightsaber battle
pls kill me.
>>
File: Not Today Buster.jpg (59 KB, 640x499) Image search: [Google]
Not Today Buster.jpg
59 KB, 640x499
>>340904171
the reason is just rng, and there's nothing you can do to extend combos. rip

my only hope for this game is that they learned from their "mistakes" in that system and can innovate and/or make combat as rewarding as in 2fm

>yfw the gameplay changes between that bbs tech demo and the actual game
>>
>>340902351
There's a hidden boss in BBS. Go back to the first world with the tutorial and shit
>>
>>340902662
>>340905695
Can you only use Aqua?
Aqua's story or the last story?
Is there any other condition to trigger it? Because I tried all four stories and found nothing there/couldn't go there.
>>
>>340910106
It's any of the three characters. There's another, less exciting hidden boss you have to beat in the keyblade graveyard first. There should be a new landing point there.
>>
>>340910663
Enter The Void > Dark Impetus
>>
File: Chee.png (54 KB, 201x200) Image search: [Google]
Chee.png
54 KB, 201x200
>>340910663
>you can use anyone
Thank fuck, Aqua from the moment I started playing as her has been the worst part of the game in both gameplay and narrative
>>
>>340912250
holy shit don't use terra for mysterious figure you will kill yourself
>>
>>340912250
>He doesn't have or know about Renewal Barrier
>>
>>340912487
I only beat Mysterious Figure with Terra, his dodge is better than Ventus' and Aqua's dodge.
>>
File: BBS Terra JUST.webm (3 MB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
BBS Terra JUST.webm
3 MB, 852x480
>>340912487
case in point
>>
>>340914138
i believe that you did, but terra's is the only dodge that doesn't give invincibility the entire time, unless i missed an ability
>>
File: 3165093280.png (128 KB, 236x314) Image search: [Google]
3165093280.png
128 KB, 236x314
>>340912487
But he's my highest level character, and my favorite to play as
It's like fighting games all over again, I always fall for the low-tier hero

Ventus is viable, right?
>>
File: 1401048227300.png (244 KB, 1059x638) Image search: [Google]
1401048227300.png
244 KB, 1059x638
>>340897775
>Implying BBS requires any skill
LMAO get a load of this faggot. The whole game can be beaten by mashing triangle.
>>
>>340915840
the biggest problem with terra is that his dodge is actually a balanced dodge and not an infinite i-frame shitshow like ventus and aqua's. go for it if he's your guy but don't feel bad about switching if young xehanort gangrapes you
>>
File: BBS Terra literally doomed.webm (3 MB, 852x480) Image search: [Google]
BBS Terra literally doomed.webm
3 MB, 852x480
>>340902662
funny you would post a pic of yourself getting doom'd, I got something there as well
>>
>>340896338
>>340897775
>deluding yourself into believing that mysterious figure requires any kind of skill to "get good"

Holy fuck people like you are absolutely retarded. You can fight him hundreds of times trying to be legit only to get caught once and immediately die, but that isn't getting good, that's being stubborn as fuck and a tryhard who wants to think he's better than everyone else.

Thunder Surge spam is literally the only way to reliably beat him and that's why he's one of the worst bosses ever made.
>>
File: MM2DrW4_23.png (6 KB, 256x240) Image search: [Google]
MM2DrW4_23.png
6 KB, 256x240
>>340917497
>and that's why he's one of the worst bosses ever made.
I somehow doubt this
>>
>>340918356
in terms of bosses that epitomize a game's mechanical shortcomings i think figure serves as an example to what you're not supposed to do in boss design. he may not be the "worst boss ever," but he is simultaneously bad, frustrating, and broken in a series that supposedly prides itself on its gameplay and boss design
>>
>>340918356
No, really. A successful match against Mysterious Figure is decided by luck first and foremost. You're supposed to be able to figure out a boss and then beat him relatively consistently afterwards, but it's just impossible here.
>>
>>340914138
>his dodge is better than Ventus' and Aqua's dodge

What
Are you joking

Ven and Aqua's dodge has overlapping iframes

Terra's doesn't, and that alone makes it so much more worse
>>
>>340920064
I didn't have much technical information, Terra's dodge was longer and allowed me to go through Mysterious Figure's combos from one side to another, Ventus and Aqua could only spam dodge while keeping distance and hope for the best.
>>
>>340917497
Okay but after you've beat it once with a cheese strategy you read on GameFaqs wouldn't you actualy want to like, experiment and enjoy the boss battle?

Having a Thunder Surge deck for the sake of reliability is stupid if you're playing for.... what's the word again... fun?
>>
File: bed of bullshit.jpg (577 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
bed of bullshit.jpg
577 KB, 1920x1080
once you know how to beat him and what to do he is piss easy but literally the cheesiest boss ive ever fought in a game. Fucking sweeping you into instant death holes with shitty camera angles and shitty hitboxes is cancer as fuck.
>>
>>340922586
the problem with replaying a boss like figure as opposed to lingering will is that on repeat playthroughs against will you have the option to experiment, find new strategies, and work out cool patterns to try. against figure, the strategy you win with is simultaneously the easiest and most optimal, and any further experimentation against the boss is pointless because the game limits what you can do by making Figure cheap
>>
File: wombo combo.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
wombo combo.webm
3 MB, 640x360
I'm not sure why but the bosses in Freedom Planet are satisfying as fuck to clobber but they can decimate you just as easily.
>>
>>340922586
>D-links not available
>shotlocks not remotely viable because he's moving way too much and quickly
>command styles essential out of the question since you won't get enough consecutive hits in for them to trigger

you can't experiment jack shit with half your options stripped away.
>>
>>340922586
You're playing the entirely wrong KH game if you want to fight bosses for fun.

BBS bosses as a whole are not fun. You're reduced to command spam because it's the only way to get a high DPS. Normal combo juggling doesn't work because they'll break out of combos as well as your normal hits doing 1/4 of damage that you could get with Firaga or something.

Seriously, I platinumed BBS and found little to no enjoyment in the combat system because it was held back by handheld limitations.
>>
>>340923064
more like you are an idiot for ever jumping above a boss in that game.
it even prompts you to boost away for each one
>>
>>340923045
>any further experimentation against the boss is pointless because I'm an uncreative asshat

Actually, there's lots you'll discover by experimenting. For example, Fission Firaga will get it's knock-up if he doesn't break-out and block. This opens him up for air-combos or a triple blizzaga, and if you're already in a command style, that means you almost have Blade Charge up.

>>340923524
>D-links not available
You haven't tried to use them or you haven't played this boss fight, cuz, they're there. You just can't use them when you're missing commands from the whirlwind.
>shotlocks not remotely viable because he's moving way too much and quickly
If he misses the jumping tether, you have a shotlock opportunity. Hold L+R and Down to point right at him from frame1.
>command styles essential out of the question since you won't get enough consecutive hits in for them to trigger
You mean YOU don't stay offensive enough to get enough consecutive hits to trigger them. I get into the second tier ones all the time. The problem is Ghost Drive and the air-based ones have crappy dodging.
>>
>>340924917
the problem comes from the idea that you need to experiment at all; the reason we experiment is because we need to find answers to questions/problems. the answer to figure is "thunder surge curaga spam dodge". further experimentation is pointless because the answer already exists.

Specifically speaking though, even if you launch him into a combo with firaga, he'll just teleport out of the combo after 2 or 3 hits. comboing in bbs is worthless and pointless because every boss can break your chains randomly without reason
>>
>>340924917
yeah I fucked up with d-links, was thinking of Vanitas remnant there.

Shotlocks and command styles CAN work, but not consistently enough. That's my problem. It's poor boss design. Just brute forcing attempts until you get lucky enough doesn't feel accomplishing at all
>>
>>340900309
I think it was titled Worries about KH3 or something?
>>
>>340916554
Jesus, I've never managed to mash out of the third in a row. Beat him on critical with Terra last week, that was miserable.
>>
>>340927294
still can't find it. whatever i'll look in the archives
>>
>>340914607
Why is Terra so useless compared to the other two.
>>
>>340928501
There's a big section on it of something like what you described in this. https://youtu.be/Q2gC0UzCffw
>>
>>340928775
Narrative-to-gameplay realism
>>
>>340928821
it was an hour long full BBS analysis, where half of it was dedicated to plot and the other half was gameplay
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.