[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When did minecraft start becoming worse instead of better? h
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8
File: maxresdefault (3).jpg (87 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (3).jpg
87 KB, 1280x720
When did minecraft start becoming worse instead of better?
https://youtu.be/hWd8UKR7QhU
>>
>>340880416
When they added hunger.
>>
Biome/terrain gen changes

Most of the improvements since then have just been QoL shit
>>
>>340880570

Yeah, shit like this should be optional
>>
>>340880416
Beta 1.8, when they added hunger and advertised it as ADVENTURE when there really was nothing to see
They added fucking squidwards instead of pigmen which were the obvious next step, but now zombie pigmen are just fucking there for no reason
>>
>>340880416
Hunger update/Biome update
Don't remember which one was first.
>>
>>340881027
It was the same update, beta 1.8
>>
Nov 2011.
>>

We've discussed this shit for like 3 years already for fucks sake

Hunger, gimmicks, shitty empty villages, fucked up terrain generations, HORRIBLE BIOME COLORS, biomes became TOOO big (it's fun to see a forest surrounded by mountains and then a fucking random desert, but now it's just a hugeass long desert filled with nothing followed by an huge ass plain forest)
>>
>>340880416
When they added horses.
>>
>>340880939
Mojang should have never even considered adding humanoid npcs
>>
File: 1461190157344.jpg (359 KB, 933x1352) Image search: [Google]
1461190157344.jpg
359 KB, 933x1352
somebody play minecraft with me please
>>
>>340880416
Why does he act like that goddamn
>>
>>340881390
Beta 1.8. Remember we now have another 1.8, so clarification is required.
>>
>>340881594
ok
>>
Mojang staff really are stealing their salary arent they.

They just re-skin notches mobs and add a stupid effect like hunger, because everyone loves the hunger mechanic right!
>>
>>340880416
>autojump

finally, minecraftchick can play the game.
>>
>>340880416
Why do so many youtubers strain their voice like that? Is it because they hate listening to their own voice?
>>
>>340885375
Hey man real talk it plays a lot smoother than having carpel tunnel after hopping every second for hours.
>>
>>340880936
Can't you just turn it off?
>>
1.7.3 Beta and under were great, 1.8 and above sucked.
>>
>>340883880
post server
>>
how the fuck do I tame horses
I just keep feeding them everything I can but they won't love me
>>
>>340888343
Gotta please their dicks yo.
>>
Is there any way to choose biomes in world generation? I would choose snow
>>
>>340880416
biomes
no more comfy mountains
>>
>>340889376
too big for me
>>
>>340880570
FPBP
>>
File: bequietdammit.png (365 KB, 924x529) Image search: [Google]
bequietdammit.png
365 KB, 924x529
What's even worse is the Frostburn update is consider a major one.
>>
>>340887078
Yea I guess I don't have to build actual stair blocks everytime I dig a staircase to bedrock now.
>>
>>340890831
it's only major because they did a lot of shit under the hood
actual content wise it's fucking nothing
>>
File: image.jpg (827 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
827 KB, 1920x1200
When Terraria came out.
>>
>>340891549
I always liked building houses in Terraria. Expansion is piss easy and by the end of the game you'll probably have turned your small shack into a 20 floor mansion complete with a hugeass basement.
>>
>>340891360
Honestly, I don't think there's any content they can add that mods haven't already done. You'd think they'd add a brown bear variant.
>>
1.7.3 beta is widely accepted to be the last good version.
>>
>>340880416
hunger isn't an innately bad mechanic it's just the way it works is fucking retarded.
you shouldn't regain HP. it should be healing overtime after consuming an item outside of combat.
but then again, that's just a singular problem in a sea of 1000s of problems.
>>
>>340892892
Hunger should act as an alternative to damage mitigation. Like when you're at three points or less, then you stop regenerating health and take more damage.
>>
>>340880570
not just hunger, but everything in the 1.8 including hunger is what starting minecraft toward a downhill slope. More combat focus and RPG elements while fucking with the terrain generation.
I wish somebody would just remake minecraft exactly up until 1.7 and then just go in the direction it should have gone, adding more ores, improving combat mechanics a bit, more tools, more reasons to visit the nether, more ores, more underground terrain stuff like the ravines 1.8 added, shrink world width and increase world depth, etc. I would actually go play it if they did.
>>
>>340892560
is there mods that fix these problems?
1. no attack animations on anything whatsoever which is horrendous for a melee heavy game. there's literally no timings or dodging or anything which is INSANELY retarded
2. AI in general, path finding on it is retarded and it doesn't use strategies.
3. I can just place blocks around myself to survive any situation which is fucking retarded. I shouldn't really be allowed to do that and creatures should be able to dig through certain blocks.
>>
>>340896118
dont know about 2 or 3, but 1 has Zelda Sword Skills Mod
>>
File: Eggman.jpg (17 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Eggman.jpg
17 KB, 400x300
Alpha 1.1 was the last truly good version. Alpha 1.2 (Halloween update) failed to deliver on several promises and replaced the comfy terrain generation with vomit-colored biomes.

Beta 1.2 and 1.3 were steps in the right direction (creativity) with wool dyes, repeaters, dispensers, note blocks and dyes but they didn't fix the problems that came with the Halloween update.

1.8 was when it officially went to shit.
>>
Yep, as mentioned, 1.8

1.7.3 was the last best Minecraft.
There are entire modpacks that only work for that and no future versions.
And for good reason.

The entire original Minecraft community were stabbed in the back with 1.8.
So began the age of "173craft"
>>
>>340880416
When it became clear that minecraft was a lucky mistake and notch had no clue what he was doing and no creative or otherwise direction to follow
>>
>>340880416
There were so many different gameplay mechanics you could have added to the game but Notch and Mojang took the laziest fucking route and decided they'd take half a year to add rabbits to the game. Cool.

>Shit, how do we make food and farming relevant?
>Let's use the unique crafting system in our game combined with the old cauldron texture to make an expansive cooking system for yourself and wild mobs.
>DUDE HUNGER LMAO

After 1.8 the game lost it's central focus and moved in the opposite direction of what it should have been. Notch proudly proclaimed that "I will never add machines to Minecraft" and put in MMO mechanics nobody liked and dumbed-down pistons. Then modpacks came out and people with actual talent and creativity vastly improved the Minecraft formula and all the forestry and industrialcraft stuff spurred people's creativity and imagination again.

Minecraft should have stayed a product for a niche audience and Notch shouldn't have been the creator. It should have been someone with resolve, ambition, and who sticks to their promises (Halloween Update was the beginning of the end).
>>
File: 1322145547173.gif (32 KB, 450x2412) Image search: [Google]
1322145547173.gif
32 KB, 450x2412
>>340898842
I miss all the cool ideas we talked about in the old threads with Notch back in the day before he became a fat lazy jew cunt.
RIP FLAOT
>>
>>340881390
I thoroughly disagree. The problem with biomes is that there aren't enough of them and the problem with generation is that it isn't randomized enough. I remember when caves where vast and winding. Now cave generation is just
>Path that spirals into a dead end
>Fissure
>Mine shaft
>>
>>340902491
I like the number of biomes in the game now, but I would still prefer the previous world gen with said biomes.

The whole biome generation system moved to a "weighted temperate" system where it keeps cold and hot places separated to be more "real".
>>
>>340892892
>hunger isn't an innately bad mechanic

It is when the half the hunger bar is secretly hidden from the player and you have to intentionally starve yourself so you can get 100% meter.
>>
File: skinner.jpg (55 KB, 500x534) Image search: [Google]
skinner.jpg
55 KB, 500x534
I don't think it did. Kids still play it and love it, and that's the most honest reception a game like that can get.
>>
>>340897091
Link to 173 only packs?
>>
>>340880416

>They literally just added reskinned skeletons and zombies. Literally.

Stop ruining Minecraft, mojang. The game is already perfect, you're just overloading it with useless shit.

It's not even that mods can do this, it's that the content looks like a programmer's first mod.
>>
>>340892028
For some reason every time I play a new file on Terraria I make a fucking gigantic tower for my Wizard, and for growing plants. It gets more elaborate every time.
>>
>>340885375
thankfully you can turn that off
>>
>>340907731
It's been a while since I've played it.

They were usually on the forums, collections of mods.

Similar to the sort of mod packs you see like Tekkit and that, just for the beta games.
Can't remember the names for the life of me.
>>
>>340891549

this.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.