[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is the combat /v/? I just want to build a party and clear
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1
File: pe-logo-915x585[1].jpg (60 KB, 915x585) Image search: [Google]
pe-logo-915x585[1].jpg
60 KB, 915x585
How is the combat /v/?
I just want to build a party and clear out dungeons.
Do magic spells knock monsters on there asses or is it buff party, throw some shit on the floor for enemies to walk into, then cast fireball 20x til enemy falls over?

Can I have armored warriors that also dish out damage or are they forced to be damage sponges while the rogue does all the damage?

Does the difficulty plummet after you find good gear?

I don't care about the lore/writing/graphics I just want to know if the combat is satisfying.
>>
>>340859783

it's shit
>>
>>340859881
how so?
>>
bump?
Common I know someone has played this.
>>
>>340859783
Combat is similar to the older crpgs that it is obviously taking cues from but with a few differences.
Many spells are just just renamed dnd spells and as such are pretty much the same. The game stops you from resting as often as say Baldurs Gate which means you need to be a little more conservative with spells though.

Armoured warriors do a decent amount of damage and there is no requirement for a rogue with lockpicking and stealth not being class specific.

Gear was pretty boring desu. I didn't see the difficulty plummet much over the game.
>>
>>340859783
I found it hugely annoying and unsatisfying

Spells only recharge on resting, which means you are always holding onto them for the sake of 'maybe something big is coming up next', only for never knowing when that really is, and therefore never using them.

So you're party basically turns into 'whoever is getting hit right now is a tank until I rotate them out for someone else' with a shitton of autoattacks rolled in.

I dont think it being real time is necessary bad, it just wasn't done well enough.
>>
>>340861938
Thanks for explaining anon.

>>340862175
>Spells only recharge on resting, which means you are always holding onto them for the sake of 'maybe something big is coming up next', only for never knowing when that really is, and therefore never using them.
Oh wow I thought we all agreed that was a bad mechanic.
>>
>>340859783
>How is the combat /v/?

great for few hard battles in the game (against enemy parties mostly)

terrible and boring for fighting nameless trash (99% of fights in the game)
>>
>>340860334
Not him, but it's a slog. The fights are boring, there's no xp per kill but still a lot of trash to fight in uninteresting encounters. It's not particularly difficult so it's just a chore.
>>
>>340862336
If you don't like spells like that, then use Ciphers. They're the warlocks of the game. They shit out spells like there's no tomorrow.
>>
-A min-maxed wizard has the same if not less DPS than a melee unit balanced for defense

-The movement speed is so fast and the casting speed so slow that more than likely your wizard will be surrounded in the amount of time it takes to cast fireballx1. Your wizard is going to have to have spell backups because trying to kite is instant death, like 10x worse than NWN

-The dps of your melee units increases by flanking bonuses the more melee units you have, and similarly the dps or enemy melee units falls when they're outnumbered and can no longer flank you

Because of all this it's almost always more beneficial to have another melee unit instead of a caster unit

Status effects are handled in a very MMO-esque fashion, in that they are not meant to directly shutdown opponents or create instant advantage for your units. Instead they're very minor statistical advantages/disadvantages that make more of a difference the more units you have being affected by them
>>
Pillars of Eternity is a pretty great RPG but its combat system is not particularly good. It's Baldur's Gate 1 combat system with some slight improvements.

If you want a RPG for combat, you should go play Divinity: Original Sin. It's not as good an RPG as Pillars, but the combat system is godlike.
>>
>>340862831
>Divinity: Original Sin
THATS THE GAME I WAS LOOKING FOR!
Could not remember the name.
I got it confused with Pillars. Thanks anon.
>>
>>340859783
it's boring and repetitive, mindnumbing
>>
>>340862739
>10x worse than NWN
NWN's campaign was designed to be either solo'd or with a partner. Of course it's going to be easier.
>>
>>340862831
>Surround enemies with element A
>Hit them with A's contrasting element
>Repeat several times for every group of trash mobs

Nah, they both have garbage combat systems, D:OS can hardly be considered an improvement over BG1. The foes still have most of the same AI limitations as BG1 where they will allow you to debuff them before your engagement as long as you don't damage or target them directly. The biggest difference between BG1 and PoE is that PoE is turn-based and so they fight evolves exactly the same except at 1/10 of the speed
>>
>>340863495
It's DivOS that is TB.
>>
>>340863495
*difference between BG1 and Original Sin
>>
It's a shame the only options for good dungeon crawlers are JRPG anime games. How did this even happen?
>>
>>340863495
Going to agree with this anon

DOS has some seriously poor combat, it has some neat effects but overall its so incredibly easy to cheese.
>>
>>340859783
Pretty much every party based cRPG has garbage combat. Rtwp forces non-magic combat to be extremely dumbed down because it's impossible to micro manage a party of 5-6 characters if more than one or two of those characters have mechanics more complex than "click and watch auto attack". In games like Icewind Dale you just auto attack shit to death and cast a spell here and there. Extremely unsatisfting. In Pillars of Eternkty it's also like that for trash mob encounters, and the few hard fights in the game require you to pause every 0.01 secs effectively making the game turn based anyways.

The few party based turn based cRPGs like Divinitu Original Sin and Temple of Elemental Evil have absolute garbage balance and thus you can blow through everything with little thought required.

The good cRPGs are ones where you control 1 character. Fallout 1 and 2, Arcanum, NWN1, Morrowind.
>>
>>340864542
And Gothic II*
>>
>>340859783
>after you find good gear
No such thing in PoE.
>>
>>340864542
>every crpg is Rtwp
>I've never played a game prior to 1999
>>
If you want good combat play D:OS and Underrail.
>>
>>340864542
Arcanum is practically the same shit as PoE. Bunches useless stats and the most basic shit you can do is by far the best

>NWN1
>good cRPGs
Seriously, get the fuck out
>>
>>340864972
What you mean like shit like Ultimate Underworld, Might and Magic and Wizardry?

All those games had garbage balance and were easily broken. Gothic II, Fallout 1 and 2, Arcanum, Morrowind and NWN1 with expansions and modules are better than literally any game from that era
>>
>>340863495
I'll have to disagree here. DOS has some real limits, flaws and weaknesses, but the combat is incredibly interesting due to enemies having that many options in a fight, they use consumables, scrolls, heal, cast weather spells, fuck even lvl4 enemies can rez.

Also while it's a debuff fest early on, late game enemies have so many resistances that bashing them with pure unadulterated damage becomes viable again.

That said, individually each chain of skills lacks depth, you need to mix and match for better synergy.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.