[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'll just wait for the remake.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 17
File: Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg (45 KB, 256x255) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_VII_Box_Art.jpg
45 KB, 256x255
Games you wish you got to enjoy in their prime.
>>
The remake looks poised to be a completely different game
>>
why not go play it now? It's still fun, even though I'm jaded and don't get the "feels" anymore.

I always do a no materia or other goofy made up run every year or so of ff7 and its always fun.
>>
>>340854543
I played this game for the first time in 2011 and I loved it
Stop being a fag, OP
>>
>>340854543
I played it in 2014 and it's my favorite game. The aged graphics add a lot to the charm.
>>
>>340854543
play it before they ruin it
>>
>>340854543
i played it when it came out, and as a 12yo at that moment, it fucking blew my mind in so many levels

too bad those who decide to play it now for the first time will never have the same experience as back then
>>
File: ff12.png (23 KB, 702x347) Image search: [Google]
ff12.png
23 KB, 702x347
I felt the same way when it was announced but then I finished it
>>
File: 20160612_074402-1.jpg (3 MB, 1836x2259) Image search: [Google]
20160612_074402-1.jpg
3 MB, 1836x2259
Feels good, those days were magical. Still remember the first time I got to the Gold Saucer.

I probably played it for the first time around 2002 though.
>>
Hey guys not trying to be a sourpuss but I don't understand how FFVII can be your favourite game unless it's because of complete nostalgia goggles. The game has so many problems and graphics are the least of them (although the 3d models on 2d background can making navigating hard every now and then). Of course all games have problems but VII at the very least has more problems than IV-V-VI and so many other games
>>
File: 9ilfoQB.jpg (43 KB, 700x394) Image search: [Google]
9ilfoQB.jpg
43 KB, 700x394
Hard to feel this way when you've been gaming almost 30 years and very few noteworthy titles have slipped by me more than a few months or a year after their release.
>>
File: 1400800250728.jpg (89 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1400800250728.jpg
89 KB, 600x450
>>340854543
I played it around 2003 or 2004 after playing Kingdom Hearts when it first came out because I wanted to see the game that Cloud and company were from. Honestly, and I was just beginning middle school at the time, it wasn't at all the game I expected (I expected something more akin to KH only older and clunkier) but it didn't bother me at all and I'm being 100% truthful when I say that FF7 is one of my favorite games of all time (second in fact, after KH).

>pic unrelated
>>
>>340856894
Okay, as a long time fan I'll bite.

What non-subjective "problems" does it have?

>if you don't answer you're a pussy for life
>>
>>340856894
Like I said earlier in the thread, I played it for the first time in 2011 and I love the game.
I have less nostalgia for it than most games I've played
>>
>>340856894
>first 3D final fantasy
>CGI videos
>Unique characters
>Materia system
>Many hidden and obscure stuff(probably due to some unfinished stuff left on disk) that created many urban legends and crazy theories
>Unexpected jaw droppng plot twist mid-game (no spoiler, you know what im talking about if you played it)
>A hidden plot paralel to the "main plot" that you slowly start to discover piece by piece
>Second playthrough, mindblowing little details that only NOW you notice after beating the game previosly and learned the hidden plot

i could go on and on....
>>
File: Final_Fantasy_VII_(PSX)_007.png (24 KB, 364x224) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_VII_(PSX)_007.png
24 KB, 364x224
>>340856894

Presentation my man, you can be a purist and argue over mechanics I couldn't really give af about but FF7's music, general cyberpunk + pastoral frontier vibe, the portraits, the characters, the environments, the breadth and length of the story, how Midgar feels large enough in the beginning and it expands from there, the story's edginess, timeliness and boldness on themes of corporate fascism and pollution, everything just combines to make it the best Final Fantasy.

https://youtu.be/J8o9gGOKEg4
>>
Metal Gear Solid. Only finished it last year.
>>
File: 1269973943295.jpg (28 KB, 300x445) Image search: [Google]
1269973943295.jpg
28 KB, 300x445
FFVII was a big deal in the gaming world when it came out, but your average 5-25 year old that might play vidya time to time didn't care much till a couple years afterwards.

Fucking teens that ostracized my nerdy middle school crew for talking about SNES rpgs all day, when they'd ask us for PSX pointers and secrets in late high school.
>>
File: 9661_front.jpg (106 KB, 640x908) Image search: [Google]
9661_front.jpg
106 KB, 640x908
>you didn't play this for the first time after 9/11

still gives me chills, timely af
>>
File: cloud-and-tifa.jpg (1 MB, 1273x1123) Image search: [Google]
cloud-and-tifa.jpg
1 MB, 1273x1123
>>340856894
IV is every bit as guilty of nostalgia goggles as VII, possibly even more so. It's by far the weakest of the SNES trinity. And only thing VI has going for it are the story and characters, the gameplay is even more stupidly broken than VII's.

Anyway I played VII for the first time 3 years ago expecting to hate it, and it's now one of my all-time games. I love everything about it from story and characters to gameplay, my one gripe is it being way too easy. It has a certain charm to it that its sequels have been desperately trying to recapture but failed.
>>
File: 1464607268667.png (1 MB, 1138x920) Image search: [Google]
1464607268667.png
1 MB, 1138x920
>tfw wasn't able to experience Ocarina of Time blowing my balls off like it did the rest of the gaming world
>>
>>340854543
I hope you know the remake will be an almost completely different experience from the original game.

>>340856894
And what problems does it have that IV-V-VI don't besides the graphics?
>>
>>340857337

are you insane? you think the unskippable summon animations are acceptable? you think the enemy skill materia are even remotely balanced? you think searching the 2d background for the one spot where it lets you to continue to climb isn't unnecessary? you think cloud's flashback with Tifa where (regardless of how good or bad the actual content is) you have to constantly move from one cloud to another after all the dialogue, there is no reason for the text to be interrupted for you to move a handful of steps while still in the same area. (there is even one moment where you regain control of tifa after one conversation only to have to walk 2 steps to cloud to continue the next one, there is no reason at all to break the dialogue train.) you think having bosses (Jenovas) which are made harmless by one elemental resistance is interesting? you enjoy the clunky minigames? surely there is no one who actually thinks the snowboarding is fun, at best it is a novelty which even on your first playthrough vastly overstays its welcome. Even something like fighting the ultima weapon is terrible design where you have to chase after it over the world map and then ram into it 4 times before you can even fight it again. I don't understand how you can't see flaws, I hope you also realise that just because a game has flaws doesn't mean it can't be good. I don't think VII is particularly good, it's not bad or anything, but its reputation is mind bogging.

>>340857542

I genuinely can't understand this.

>>340857559

Sounds like plot is your biggest factor which I agree is one of its stronger points but it's still. Something like the Materia system should be a nice less grindy replacement of Espers but because of the extreme varients in power levels. You could easily beat the game using only enemy skill materia and manipulate (hell probably only enemy skill).

>>340859219
I certainly don't mean to suggest that the snes trilogy are particularly strong.
>>
>>340859675
>you think the unskippable summon animations are acceptable?
Uh, this was over a decade ago when it was common place. What's next? Are you going to complain Sephiroth is edgy when he was the origin of his archetype?
>>
>>340858845

First time I finished it was about 4am on a tuesday in 1 sitting after about 17 hours, just after release.

That AI colonel when I'm already delirious from no sleep was some shit.
>>
>>340859675
Alright, two points.

First there's nitpickers and then there's shitpickers. Guess which one you are?

Second, you didn't even remotely consider that part of what makes FF7 so popular might be its story and characters did you?
>>
>>340856894
>although the 3d models on 2d background can making navigating hard every now and then
You could always press the select button to have a the game indicate you what you can interact with you know?
>>
>>340854543
This
Metal Gear Solid (played them all just last year)
Elder Scrolls
WoW
DMC
Metroid
Castlevania
>>
>>340859675
Most of those problems can either be completely bypassed (you never need to use summons at all) or it's just you overblowing some minor gameplay jank. And I actually like the snowboarding, it's probably my favorite minigame in the entire game besides maybe the motorcycle chase, sue me. Sure FFVII does have its flaws but you mentioned none of them.
>>
File: 1383142328145.png (6 KB, 101x100) Image search: [Google]
1383142328145.png
6 KB, 101x100
>>340859675
>surely there is no one who actually thinks the snowboarding is fun, at best it is a novelty which even on your first playthrough vastly overstays its welcome.
>>
>>340859675
>he knew all the autistic tricks

I played it blind when I was 9 years old, maybe that's why I enjoyed it more than you.

I thought Enemy Skill was dumb quirky confusing shit.
>>
II hope they get rid of the snowboarding minigame in the remake
>>
>>340860034
Pretty sure FF7 Snowboarding was released as a mobile phone game at some point.
>>
>>340860237
Never heard of that. I do know the motorcycle minigame was released as a stand-alone phone game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7soIdcfv6kw
>>
>>340859921

Dude I was 8 years old in 2001, I seriously thought I had to turn the game console off. I just sat there and stared at the screen, then it just kept getting crazier.
>>
>>340854543
I played this game a year ago for the first time, going in without knowing ANYTHING about it.

Stopped playing at the junkyard level. Game bored me to tears, and I love RPGs typically.
>>
>>340859910
ask for
>"non-subjective "problems""
but it's old so it doesn't count! Are you actually retarded?

>>340859923
The guy asked for non subjective criticisms cant you even fucking read

>>340859967
I think you need to replay it because it only shows ladders not cliffs.

>>340860034
so not using gameplay mechanics because they take so long is not a problem? I guess all games must be fucking amazing when you ignore all of their faults.

>>340860103
the snowboarding is piss easy you can't even fail it, I guess getting all the balloons is pretty hard but how many people have even cared enough to do that?

>>340860109
right so nostalgia, sorry for not being as stupid as 9 year old you.
>>
>>340860362

Takes more than being clever to know the autistic tricks, you're not smart for looking up guides on GameFaqs.
>>
>>340860362
>so not using gameplay mechanics because they take so long is not a problem? I guess all games must be fucking amazing when you ignore all of their faults.

The summons were worse than useless even for casual players, and almost always ended up doing less damage than your regular attacks and magic, with the one excepting being KOTR. They were just there so you could admire the 1997 PS1 3D graphics, nothing more.
>>
>>340856894
first of all you don't know shit about anything

second of all I expect all of the "problems" you're going to name being nitpicky things and coming from a place of ignorance towards the year the game came out

especially the fact that you're going to cry about the graphics of a 20 year old game like the autistic, ADHD-ridden manchild you are shows that yours is not an opinion that matters in the industry whatsoever
>>
>>340860362
>it only shows ladders not cliffs.
I never had trouble with the cliffs with the exception of one room in the final dungeon
One room is not a big issue to me
>>
OP you could totally still get into FF7. It's a good enough game to stand without nostalgia.
>>
>>340854543
>remakes
Literally cancer.

I played FF7 a few years ago and enjoyed it.
If you don't get used to the shitty graphics and outdated UI within a couple of hours, then you deserve to die tbqh.
>>
>>340860298
Yeah take a look.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2008/11/final-fantasy-vii-snowboarding-now-a-standalone-game/
>>
>>340860468
Real talk though it's curiosity, why would I not try manipulate on an enemy? Why would I not always have at least one enemy skill materia on a character, this isn't being autistic it is just exploring the game. I didn't even use whitewind in my playthrough because I didn't know how you get it. I still got stuff like magic breath and aqualung easily though. It's really not about autism or being clever it's just exploring the world, or is that not something that you should do in a final fantasy game?

>>340860489
you're certainly right that they are unecessary and only KOTR is broken, nevertheless they are a staple of the series and they are significant in number it is a shame that you are almost forced to ignore a large portion of your arsenal.

>>340860532

Clearly know more about it than you though.

>second of all I expect all of the "problems" you're going to name being nitpicky things and coming from a place of ignorance towards the year the game came out

I genuinely don't understand what this means.

crying about graphics? I think you need to get your reading comprehension checked, the game is needlessly unclear where you can intereact with certain objects.
>>
>>340860806
It's just the same thing as it was in the original game right?
>>
File: steam.png (37 KB, 256x104) Image search: [Google]
steam.png
37 KB, 256x104
I replay it at least once in 5 years.

Was utterly disappointed with Steam version, but I still finished the story just to find out that One Winged Angel is a fucking vocal-less midi.
>>
>>340854543
>wait for the remake
The remake is basically not even going to be the same game.

Just play the original faggot.
>>
>>340860885
>Clearly know more about it than you though.
as I said, whoever cries about the graphics of a 20 year old game does not know anything beyond that: crying about non-issues

FF7 has plenty of glaring problems that everyone knows, even for its time, none of which you have even remotely mentioned

so you're a nobody with an opinion that doesn't matter, congratulations man and I'm so glad that you are not a driving force behind the industry in the least
>>
>>340861050
Your really fixated on this graphics bogeyman aren't you.

Yeh no one ever has ever critised the unskipable summons, jesus christ why can you not read properly.

>so you're a nobody with an opinion that doesn't matter, congratulations man and I'm so glad that you are not a driving force behind the industry in the least

I hate this combination of ad hominem + projecting it makes intereacting with you extremely testing.
>>
>>340860918
Far as I know. Might play a little faster.
>>
>>340861226
>Your really fixated on this graphics bogeyman aren't you.
nah but you are and I got a pretty good image of what kind of a person you are out of it

you don't matter

last reply to you
>>
>>340861291
Your responses are incredibly poor, you appear to be arguing with someone who is not in this thread.

I don't understand why you seem to be obsessed with people mattering. You're posting on fucking 4chan mate, you're a fucking loser just like all of us.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3sBZ5Nr4hc

Why is the dialogue for this 2017 PS4 remake so much more unnatural sounding and disjointed than a 1997 PS1 game with a notoriously shitty translation?
>>
You can't pull out and measure all the quantifiable aspects of a game and expect to discover what makes it good. Despite FF7's flaws, it taps into the sublime more than most games then or since, and like any good novel or album and playing through gives one the same sense of pleasure and satisfaction.
>>
>>340861749
I suspect it's a trailer dub, not the game dub

game wasn't far enough into development yet to get english VA in there properly
>>
>>340861945
But what if I didn't enjoy it?
>>
>>340861945
I like your attitude but unfortunately for me I did not get any of those things from VII
>>
>>340861749

Honestly it seems less like a remake of FF7 and more like Final Fantasy 7: The Movie: The Game.
>>
>>340862000
you frame this post and hang it up on your wall
>>
>>340861962
I hope you are right
I don't want Cloud to just reply with "not interested" dismissing the question instead of replying like the dick that he was to the AVALANCHE members at the beginning of the original game
>>
>>340862000

Nice trips but then I'd just look upon you like some friend who can't get into a novel or album I passionately love. I continue you on, enjoying and defending it fiercely and thinking your opinion is based on a tragic, pleb failure of perception. You may perfectly well have excellent taste in everything else, who knows.
>>
>>340862342
Certainly the saddest thing about being an art enthusiast, you can end up thinking even your closest friends are complete morons and they think the same of you.
>>
Metal Gear Online (MGS4)

Got a PS3 and MGS4 late
The threads on /v/ hours before Konami shut it down made me regret not playing it at least once
>>
>>340861962
I'm mostly referring to the words being spoken.

>>340862101
Yeah that worries me too. Especially since how godawful the actual FF7 movie was.
>>
>>340862449
>you can end up thinking even your closest friends are complete morons
my friends ARE complete morons
but they're my morons
>>
File: CELL.png (469 KB, 916x513) Image search: [Google]
CELL.png
469 KB, 916x513
>>340859518
>wasnt a 64 kid growing up, had a PS1
>finally get the 3DS remake
>it just leaves a "meh it was fun i guess" impression on me

fuck i feel like im missing something for this to be considered one of the best games ever
>>
>>340856894
It gave me the strongest feels, and that's all I care about in the end
>>
File: 1465646903385.png (305 KB, 920x267) Image search: [Google]
1465646903385.png
305 KB, 920x267
>>340862671
The 3DS remake in general was crap. If you want to gain a better impression of how timeless it is play the N64 version, even if it's emulated.
>>
You can still enjoy it now you faggot
I hope if this succeeds we get FFIX Remake, I want my HD Garnet ass
>>
Oldfag 20 year Final Fantasy veteran here

Honestly I have just played through 7-10 on Steam and 10 and 7 are miles better than 8 and 9. I remember really really liking 8 and 9 but now that the dorito dust has well and truly settled i can see that 8 and 9 are really quite overrated. Just saying.
>>
>>340863580
what about 1-6?
>>
>>340863695

Well the new versions of 1-6 are bastardised and nothing like the originals so i'm not bothering with them.

I did play the 3d version of 4 and it was ok but yeah no point comparing it to my experience playing it years ago because it's completely different.
>>
>>340863580
9 has good story and characters but bad gameplay, 8 is complete shit. They're less popular though and have an extremely loud vocal minority of hipsters.
>>
>>340863580
>Anything
>Better than 9
9 makes the entire FF series look like shit in comparison
Please get yourself checked for that shit taste
>>
>>340863957

But anon it really isn't as good as you think it is.
>>
>>340863957
9 is the most bland and unimaginative FF ever.
>>
So I get the impression that for the average /v/ final fantasy fan at least the most important aspect is the story and that the gameplay is kinda that annoying thing that interrupts story. Do you think that is a fair comment? And which final fantasy games do you think have the best gameplay? (and I mean gameplay, please do not say which game you think is the best overall game or best story but the one with the best raw mechanics)
>>
>>340856894
I can say the same for FF10, it was the first FF that they removed the world map
>>
>>340864167
I only care about the story and aesthetics desu
>>
>>340864167

FFX has the best gameplay, however Auron trivialises a lot of it. At the moment i'm up to Gagazet and all i do is skip through everyone's turn so they get AP and only attack with Auron to save time.
>>
>>340864167
It depends on which game, really. And X-2 has the best gameplay.
>>
>>340864167
Yeah that's true except for Tactics, which has the best gameplay AND story of the entire franchise even if that's a low bar to overcome.
>>
>>340864167
I'd say 5, 7 and 10 have the best battle systems
>>
>>340864476
I completely agree with you that tactics has the best gameplay but I feel like that is cheating. I wasn't clear but I meant from the main series and their companions (e.g. iv after years, x-2 etc)
>>
>>340854543
Played for the first time last year, still holds up.
>>
>>340864476
>>340864589

I thought Tactics was tedius. Couldn't really follow the story because the battles were so long and by the time i finished a bunch of them i had forgotten what happened in the previous cutscene
>>
>>340864997

The game probably still holds up but you will still never know those feels.
>>
>>340865173
surely the story is the part which holds up the most?
>>
>>340865226

no i'm talking about that feeling of playing it 20 or so years ago.

I got it for christmas but we went on holiday, so i spent 2 weeks reading the instruction booklet before i ever even touched the game. Then when i got home i spent the next 6 months absorbed in it.

Nowadays people smash it out in a week and say " yeah pretty good, what should i play next"
>>
>>340865464
Every good game will feel like that when you are a kid tho.
It's not about it being when it was released, it's about playing it when you are a kid
>>
>>340865075
Are you bad at games? The battles really aren't that long and it's not hard to remember the story.
>>
>>340865464
>leaving Midgar and seeing the world map for the first time
>>
>>340856894
It isn't my favourite, but I love it.
>>
>>340862967
Yeah, presentation means a lot. Ocarina of Time isn't a 10/10 when you disect its parts. It's great, but nothing spectacular. But when you regard it as a whole? How everything comes together and how you're presented at all times? It becomes something of the most memorable video game experiences of your life.
Like that scene posted:
The final fight of the entire game that took so many hours to beat
Ganondorf has crumbled along with the castle he built
But he rises up from the rubble, clutching on his fist and wishes on the triforce
Suddenly becomes an enormous demon monster in front of you
Lightning strikes, glowing eyes, a name change
This music begins playing, the familiar start letting you know it's a boss battle...but then it's fucking dramatic and intense as shit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmL3xSeAmsw
And you're sitting there as a player thinking "this game is so good"

But then you have the 3DS remaster. And all they change is brighten everything up. But that subtle change...changes everything. You no longer have the glowering beast you barely make out in front of you. The doom and dread and fear of the titan with ferocity, the predicament of a final struggle in your apocalyptic but unrefined environment.

There's a difference of seeing a pretty girl and thinking "she's pretty" and being saved by the care of that pretty girl when your life has built up to that and thinking "I only want this pretty girl forever she's perfect."
>>
>people like ff 7 for the story

Yeah why not just watch the ff movies then? Sorry but as a game, ff7 has aged badly. If I want a shitty Japanese storyline and Characters with the depth of a puddle then I'd watch naruto
>>
>>340868126
3DS remaster fixed the water temple tho so it's all good.
>>
>>340870508
Calm down, kid.
>>
>>340870558
Nice response faggot
>>
>>340870957
You too, kid.
>>
>>340871019
kid
>>
>>340870508
Naruto haters need to fuck off 4chan.
>>
File: OOT.jpg (48 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
OOT.jpg
48 KB, 320x240
>>340868126
tl:dr OoT is gud cos nostalgia
>>
>>340871130
Actually Naruto fans should be the ones to fuck off 4chan since this place is 18+.
>>
>>340871019
I'm a kid with more common sense than you faggot
>>
FFVII is still the best in the series.

Ocarina effect be damned.
>>
What is this shit about FF7 having aged badly? The JRPG genre still plays like it did 20 years ago.
>>
>>340855881
Because the game aged like milk.. like most 3D games from that era.
>>
>>340872615
>Like ALL 3D games from that era

Fixed
>>
I could not even play it in it's "prime". This game is a perfect example on when you should not use 3D models, it just looks so bad it's unplayable.
>>
>>340872615
>>340872974
>>340872983
Summer/v/ at full force here.
>>
File: CLFm1h5UAAAASXH.jpg orig.jpg (69 KB, 578x549) Image search: [Google]
CLFm1h5UAAAASXH.jpg orig.jpg
69 KB, 578x549
Used to watch my brother play it all the time when it came out, but never played through it myself until middle school. Blew me away, even though by that time the PS2 was out.

It's one of my favorite games of all time and I'm cautiously optimistic for the remake even if it won't be the same experience (which is fine).
>>
>>340873343
I loved FFVII in 1997/8. It's a fucking chore to get through now. Take off your nostalgia goggles.

The one thing that I think would have helped me like the game a lot more, nearly 20 years later (though I've had this opinion for a long time), is if they would have used 8-directional sprites instead of 3D models.
>>
>>340873643
surely this isn't meant to be tifa and aerith
>>
>>340864167

Lightning Returns has the best gameplay. V is the next in line. Then X-2 because while the mechanics are good, the game folds immediately in terms of difficulty, so it pales in comparison to V. I+IV are a bit difficult. VI+VII are easy, but the customization is top notch. Next in line is X, which is dreadfully easy so the system doesn't matter. Next is IX, which is easy, uncustomizable, but still sorta okay. Next is XIII-2, which while auto-battly still allows you to react to big enemy attacks. Next is Dirge of Cerberus' strafe-to-win, auto-aim, bullet sponge enemies gameplay. Next is repetitive "Run behind them" Crisis Core. Next is XII, which has gameplay only in the preparation phase. Next is XIII, which is kinda the same, but you have to press a button repeatedly to achieve the same thing. The last is VIII, where playing should be avoided at all costs.

I have not played II, III, XI, XIV or Tactics.
>>
>>340873867
>take off your nostalgia goggles
Played the game through for the first time literally a week ago.

The "nostalgia goggles" meme is literally the worst argument anyone can possible make because it doesn't even mean anything.

It's still phenomenal and the only problem people seem to have is the graphics which just means that people here are underage and beyond saving and their opinions are forever invalid since they were born too late for video games.

Have fun with Blops 4 tho, enjoy the anti-aliasing.
>>
>>340866916
Was my first RPG, so when I first played it I didn't even know it was open world. Stepping out and seeing the size of the place blew my mind.

>>340873867
Replayed it a couple of months ago on PS3, don't think it's held up too badly - only part I wasn't that happy with was the inside Cloud's mind section. Gameplay still bearble(though that was never its strong point) and atmosphere/story still excellent
>>
File: Brood_War_box_art_(StarCraft).jpg (50 KB, 416x500) Image search: [Google]
Brood_War_box_art_(StarCraft).jpg
50 KB, 416x500
Never got to play Starcraft. I hear it's one of the greatest games of all time and the multiplayer is still around even though not many are left playing it.
>>
>>340874464
>I hear it's one of the greatest games of all time
It's not, don't let the Blizzdrones brainwash you, they tend to overpraise and exaggerate all their beloved games.
>>
>>340874806
This.

It's exactly the same shit as the FF Drones thinking FF7 is the best shit ever.
>>
>>340874336
>The "nostalgia goggles" meme is literally the worst argument anyone can possible make because it doesn't even mean anything.
But it does. This game is a relic of the past, and it shows mostly in that the generational mindset at the time was to push 3D graphics and FMVs. You have people in this very topic saying you don't need to summon so it's not even a fair criticism of the game that each summon has a ridiculously long, unskippable cutscene.

The game is archaic. I have fond memories of it, but even then some of the things that I really liked about the game (for example: I was nine when the game was released and I thought Barret swearing was really cool -- I'm 28 now) just don't apply. The Materia system, touted to be one of the greatest things by many players, is extremely simple, and the majority of the game can be beaten by spamming the "Attack" option. It's not hard to accidentally over-level, either.

I tried playing Chrono Cross recently and the load times coupled with the slow battle speeds are really painful to get through. Final Fantasy IX was thematically my favorite RPG of all time, but I cannot play through it without emulation because the combat is extremely slow.

I like these games enough to play through them once every three or so years, but I do recognize their flaws and they're glaringly more obvious the older the games get. In contrast, I just finished Chrono Trigger, and like most SNES games I liked growing up they don't have as many glaring or number of flaws to me. That could be my own personal rose-tinted goggles, though.

>>340874345
>atmosphere/story still excellent
While true, at this point in my life I think I'd rather read a good book with a good atmosphere and story rather than to sludge through a poorly aged everything else.
>>
>>340874806
RTS genre is pretty much dead outside of Starcraft. It's doing something right even if it's keeping the genre on life support basically.
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.