[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Aonuma has said that the Zelda U/NX is taking notes from
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8
File: 2557861-zelda_001.jpg (638 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2557861-zelda_001.jpg
638 KB, 1920x1080
>Aonuma has said that the Zelda U/NX is taking notes from Skyrim, i.e. big open world with multiple settlements and smaller dungeons scattered across the landscape
>this was originally going to be the only game Nintendo was showing this E3
>Treehouse is doing a full day of streams just for this game
Nintendo apparently thinks the new Zelda is big enough that they were willing to stake their entire E3 presence on it, not to mention they think it has enough content that a full day of streaming it wouldn't be giving too much away.

What the fuck is going on with this game?
>>
They'll only show off the overworld, a town or two and segments of various dungeons.
>>
Aonuma says a lot of things. Ultimately, this game will just be OoT with a new gimmick and heavier focus on puzzles.

Fuck Aomuma for ruining the series.
>>
>>340825446
One of the only things he actually said is that they would purposely be moving away from OoT though. He's literally quoted as saying OoT was their old "secret sauce" and that they're now changing it.
>>
>>340824849
>What the fuck is going on with this game?
It's a shitshow that's been delayed over and over and it being pushed back another 18 months so that they can make sure it's not even Wii U exclusive.

>Nintendo apparently thinks the new Zelda is big enough that they were willing to stake their entire E3 presence on it
This has me 10/10 furious with them. There's LITERALLY no good first party Nintendo games coming up in the next 6 months and they want to spend E3 jerking off something that's over a year away?

Eat shit Nintendo. I'm fedup.
>>
I'm imagining something that expands on what TP and SS did. Namely, a huge overworld that you will not be able to access until you complete certain quests to open up new paths.

Xenoblade did crazy bullshit like have bridges destroyed permanently by boss fights, and I think we can expect similar features here.

I think we're also going to see more SOTC inspired bosses, ones that you actually fight in the overworld. Of course, this is all speculation, but having a boss behave differently depending on where it is would be pretty awesome. Imagine knocking that thing from the trailer into the Volcano.

I believe Aonuma when he said this is new ground for the series.
>>
just had a moment of clarity on why ZeldaNX could be GOTY - Skyrim with Nintendo-tier minigames for everything.
>>
>>340826857
Skyrim was garbage anon.
>>
Are they making this game in Unity?
>>
Unless they go full Action RPG, it's gonna be a let down.

That's all they need. Proper RPG elements. Levels ups. Side Quests that aren't just fetch quests. Maybe some moments where you can make a decision that affects an outcome or reward.

It doesn't have to be a whole thing where you choose to play a spellcaster or thief Link or something, but more along the lines of TW3 where you can earn skills and find better equipment that all compliments and fits into the core playstyle they choose for the game.
>>
>>340824849
Should've took notes from Witcher 3 and Dark Souls instead of Todd's shitty game
>>
>>340827349
This.

Zelda with Souls/Witcher elements would be killer.
>>
>>340827035
yeah i dropped it before i even got in a dungeon. but the fact remains it was a generally-uncontested 'GOTY' award winner. just imagine that, but it's all clothed in Zelda, and with Nintendo minigames / core gameplay instead of barely-evolved DnD stuff.
>>
>>340824849
>Jap devs are yet again "inspired" by shitty western games
>They make an emptier world with a vast field of nothing to do
>MGSV all over again

Jap devs really need to stop playing western shit.
>>
>>340827349
If this new Zelda is like Skyrim and it succeeds, then the Witcher/Souls elements will be the natural progression going into the new 3D Zelda after this.
>>
>>340827710
It has potential in theory, but Nintendo are spectacularly skilled at fucking up and falling short.

Their specialty is ignoring the rest of the industry and coming up short in comparison. It happens every time. They used to be the leaders back in the 90s and they haven't adjusted their mindset since then. Gaming is a varied industry and it's fueled by an atmosphere of inspiration and learning. The moment Nintendo fell behind but didn't start looking to other developers for things to try or do, was the moment they really started to turn to shit.
>>
>>340824849
Do you think Nintendo is planning on releasing a much smaller version of the game on Wii u and the actual game on nx? Something similar to what they did with smash?
>>
>>340826131
Every time he says he's changing something, he falls into old habits and makes Wind Waker (Aka fetch quests in the second half).

The only thing that's changed is they finally got rid of the AlttP formula of 3 dungeons > Twist > More dungeons. But that's only because SS didn't even have a fucking twist until the sixth dungeon, just a third set of quests before the final boss.
>>
>>340827335
>Levels ups.

No, fuck you.

>Side Quests that aren't just fetch quests.
What the fuck is a 'fetch quest' in your eyes? Name a series which does side quests better than Zelda.

>Maybe some moments where you can make a decision that affects an outcome or reward.

No, fuck you again. MM did this correctly, SS did this poorly. In MM you can freely make decisions, as the world changes independently of you anyway, and then time travel to make different ones. SS just dumps choose your own VN adventure bullshit on you, which is pointless.

Zelda is great because it ISN'T an RPG in the sense you intend. It's about exploration and experimentation over 'choices' that leave you fucked over or encourage grinding. Earning skills and equipment to customize playstyle is cool, but there's no need for anything beyond that that Zelda can't do better in its own way.
>>
>>340827335
The only form of RPG progression I'd find remotely acceptable is if they unlocked perks that did NOT under any circunstance involve stats. But they could easily do that without an experience system.
I'd rather they did something like that tied to questing or finding treasures, like improved arrows or other pieces of gear that augment the funcionality of existing, main story itens.
>>
>>340828676
>Zelda is great because it ISN'T an RPG
No. That's now it's biggest flaw. It's a big boring themepark you walk from one end to the other in. Adding extra mechanics like RPG elements would help to flesh out the whole experience.
>'choices' that leave you fucked over
Oh I see. You're a casual shitstain who can't enjoy a game with consequences for your actions.
>encourage grinding
Yep. You're a moron. If you grind, it's your own damn fault. Only bad games design grinding into the core/mandatory experience.
> there's no need for anything beyond that that Zelda can't do better in its own way.
Zelda doesn't do things better in it's own way. It's rapidly aging and increasingly simple and casual. The game design world is moving on. Games that are similar to Zelda are starting to surpass it because they're willing to add more elements and mechanics than Zelda is.
>>
>>340827349
Nah, that doesn't gel with Zelda. Souls' appeal is basically god-like combat and the fancanon lore, while witcher is a story rich RPG with a lot backstory about every place and person you see.

Skyrim, on the other hand, is a vast bunch of thin spread out content and shallow mechanics, so the joy is in the exploration. For the longest time I've found Zelda to be pretty much about exploration and a central story, with minor puzzle solving and combat as merely 1% of the experience.
Maybe there's something to be borrowed from the Witcher series. Maybe a robust alchemy or poaching system. But other than that, something like skyrim has the most to offer to the Zelda series.

For the sake of clarification, I'm not saying Zelda should be like Skyrim, but it should probably benefit the most from borrowing some elements from it if they decided to go for this open world approach.
>>
>>340828181
>Something similar to what they did with smash?
What? are you talking about the 3DS and WiiIU versions?

also no. they are releasing them at the same time (march) so they are probably just pulling a twilight princess again
>>
>MUH OPEN WORLD LIKE SKYRIM
Fuck Skyrim
Fuck The Witcher 3
Fuck all these garbage wrpgs where you follow a carrot on a stick.
Fuck any jap dev that copies it.
>>
If one of the selling points of this game is 'female Link' I will refuse to purchase it even if it is the greatest Zelda ever made
>>
>>340829029
If you only played Ocarina of Time and the 3D games, sure.

The retro 2D Zeldas were nothing but combat, exploration, and mazes.
>>
>>340828676
>What the fuck is a 'fetch quest' in your eyes? Name a series which does side quests better than Zelda.

nNot him, but Zelda's side quests were always pretty underwhelming. I woudn't even call them bad, since they basically don't exist.

Name me ANY Zelda side quests. Just mention a few of them for the sake of exapmle, because I'm having a hard time even remembering them, aside from the Big sword in OoT or the extra masks or fairy itens in MM, which I'd only consider a side quest that wedding/couple mask.
>>
>>340828676
Oblivion is probably the best game of all time for side quests.
>>
>>340829331
I've played them, and I can safely say the combat was even LESS of a factor back then, regardless of it being considerably more difficult due to the nature of the game being 2d and all.
In my eyes being more difficult doesn't mean they are a more important aspect of the game.
>>
>>340829405
Albw had those octopus things that let you upgrade weapons
>>
>>340829662
It completely is. Exploration is made dangerous and more satisfying with more difficult combat in different areas. This was something that Zelda 1 and A Link to the Past did really well.
>>
File: crying-indian-1.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
crying-indian-1.gif
2 MB, 320x240
I just want the game to be good.
>>
>>340829761
That look's more like collecting than side questing for me. Zelda always had TONS of collectibles and challenges for wallet/quiver/etc expasions.
I want something with context to what you're doing. I think Majora's Mask had it the most probably with things like the alien invasion and the Kafei x Anju crisis. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about.
>>
>>340829405
Magic armor in Wind Waker
Magic/Ruppies armor in Twilight Princess
Color Dungeon in Link's Awakening
Tempered sword in ALTTP
Trophy gallery in Wind Waker
>>
>>340829909
Well, I still think that's more like the nature of the game being 2d, like it being much harder to avoid damage, fighting at closer range, no lock on or shielding...
But in any case, what do you think could work from those games on the 3d ones in order to make combat more meaningful? The new TP had stat alteration, right? Did you have the chance to try it?
>>
>>340830243
Is I said, those are pretty lame as side quests.
Not saying they weren't fun dungeons or collectatons, but when I hear the word "side quest" I think about something that gives me context to what I'm doing; a piece of story or lore alongside a reward. Actually, I think the reward is secondary in importance, but just give the player a piece of heart or something and everything's fine, although I'd preffer something cooler from longer quest.

It's just that when you do it like Zelda has been doing for ages, which is rewarding those itens for simply giving an NPC a potion or something that's completed in literally seconds. That feels like the "fetch quests" people complain about.
>>
>>340828964
"...consequences for your actions" generally means having to second guess the developers to get what you think will be the most desirable outcome in the long run. There's nothing hardcore about this and it is in no way more in depth that the usual quest elements Zelda has.

>Yep. You're a moron. If you grind, it's your own damn fault.

So why put that in the game in the first place? Either you actively encourage the player to overpower themselves through repetition, or the player has to actively avoid doing shit 'too much' or order to preserve the game's challenge. It's stupid and pointless either way, with the only benefit being the customization options associated with it, which can be incorporated without leveling.

>Games that are similar to Zelda are starting to surpass
I don't even disagree here. Games like Souls and La Mulana are doing what Zelda used to be great at better that it has the courage to now. Grinding and mutually exclusive choices are completely unnecessary to Zelda regardless, all the depth you want can be added without them.

>>340829405
>Name me ANY Zelda side quests.

And here we have this guy making essentially the opposite claim you did before, that there are almost no 'fetch quests' in Zelda in general (in the sense of tasks that you are given that boil down to going to another character and doing what you are told). Zelda is great because its 'quests' rarely boil down to being explicitly handed a task, the solution of which is given to you. Instead, it's up to you to find out what item, what character, when and what to do in any given instance, with the game otherwise hinting at these possibilities.
>>
>>340828676
>What the fuck is a 'fetch quest' in your eyes?

You know that one part in Skyward Sword where you have to gather two bottles of water to pour on a fire? Then you have to talk to the Dragon to get her soaking tub? And all of this to get through a fucking door?

That's the kind of shit Zelda needs less of.
>>
>>340824849
Should have take note from Dragon Dogma instead, in fact, DD gave me kind of a Zelda vibe, but with better combat and shit plot and characters.
>>
>>340831854

Also a far worse world.
>>
>>340824849
>Hyped for Zelda
>Want to play it knowing as little as possible.
>Most of Nintendo's E3 show will be about Zelda.

I think this is why I'm not as hyped for E3 as I usually am.
>>
>>340824849
>Aonuma has said that the Zelda U/NX is taking notes from Skyrim
He's already clarified that three years ago. Why are people still saying that? What they have shown of the game so far hasn't seemed similar to Skyrim at all.
>>
>>340831086
> but when I hear the word "side quest" I think about something that gives me context to what I'm doing

So, essentially 'fetch quests' that have you go from place to place and dump a whole lot exposition on you all the while about why you should care so much that you saved Timmy from the monsters?

>which is rewarding those itens for simply giving an NPC a potion or something that's completed in literally seconds

But that's seldom the case. Zelda's quests are great because, in general, it's up to you to figure out what to actually do and discover what will actually enable you to achieve what you want. If you have to give something to someone, it's usually not immediately obvious that whatever the item was was intended to be given to this particular NPC. On top of that Zelda is fantastic at providing context and backstory, to what's happening, it's just more subtle and clever about it than most other games. I mean look at a character like Lenzo in WW. I can't think of many characters in other games who's story and quests were handled as cleverly as his.
>>
File: 1464656196304.png (302 KB, 415x700) Image search: [Google]
1464656196304.png
302 KB, 415x700
>>340831367
>"...consequences for your actions" generally means having to second guess the developers to get what you think will be the most desirable outcome in the long run
Yes. That's good game design. If you get it wrong, deal with it. It makes a game more engaging if things can go wrong.
> There's nothing hardcore about this
I didn't call it hardcore. I never even brought that buzzword up.
>So why put that in the game in the first place?
Because it's fun.
> Either you actively encourage the player to overpower themselves through repetition
Only if it's a badly designed game.
>or the player has to actively avoid doing shit 'too much' or order to preserve the game's challenge.
Only if it's a badly designed game.
> It's stupid and pointless either way, with the only benefit being the customization options associated with it, which can be incorporated without leveling.
You're dumb and narrowminded and clearly haven't played nearly enough games.
>Grinding and mutually exclusive choices are completely unnecessary to Zelda
RPG elements doesn't mean grinding and consequential actions doesn't mean mutually exclusive choices.

You're dumb. You know shit-all about RPGs and game design in general. Stop posting.

I'm gonna go play Odin Sphere now.
>>
>>340824849
>Nintendo apparently thinks the new Zelda is big enough that they were willing to stake their entire E3 presence on it

Wrong.

Nintendo just doesn't see a return on the investment of E3.

Makers of a webcomic make a better video game convention than E3. E3 is just a place made by game "journalists", for game "journalists".
>>
File: zelda wii u.jpg (101 KB, 700x421) Image search: [Google]
zelda wii u.jpg
101 KB, 700x421
>>340824849
Will this game literally ever come out?
>>
>>340833595
>E3 is a show purely for marketing, therefore Nintendo doesn't need to be there
Sony doesn't need to be at E3 this year, because they don't need to be doing any marketing.

Nintendo does.
>>
File: 1460191780713.png (165 KB, 456x321) Image search: [Google]
1460191780713.png
165 KB, 456x321
>>340833849

Yes, and it's a female Link btw.
>>
>>340832291
>and dump a whole lot exposition on you

Not necessarily. It doesn't need to have a lot of exposition. It can be done more subtely like having you gather information, complete an optional dungeon, defeat a mini-boss outside the beaten path...
And that's my problem with Zelda "side questing". Literally all you do is give person 1 item X, recieve item Y that you can give to person 2 in order to receive item Z and so on. You just have to find the person, read his paragraph of text and figure out what he wants and who gives you that item. It's like a puzzle/memory game more so than anything else. That's a fetch quest not because you have to fetch shit from NPC to NPC, but the problem is that's ALL you do.

If you argue that Zelda doesn't need side quests in the RPG sense of the word, I can respect your argument, although I'd disagree. But saying the current Zelda way of doing side activities is meaningful in any way outside a purely mechanical standpoint (collecting, fetching and exploring the enviroment to find a hookshot spot or something), I'd strongly dispute your definition of "quest" in RPG/adventure games.

The closest it ever came to achieving that was, again, in MM, with stuff like the Cow mask or the gibdo mask (although the gibdo mask was technically mandatory, even if it felt a lot like a side quest).
>>
>>340830080
I want it to be good, but I want to feel the magic of finding cool and mysterious shit.

Skyward Sword was technically "good" I guess because it had puzzle-filled overworld sections or whatever, but I felt like I was dead inside while playing it.

Too bad I don't next-gen game anymore, except for my 3DS. I don't have a WiiU and I'm not getting a Nix or whatever it's called. I guess if the new Zelda is good I guess I'll just have to miss out.
>>
>>340826549
>and they want to spend E3 jerking off something that's over a year away?

Why are you even watching E3 then? Everyone always show shit that won't come out in years, most past e3 games haven't come out yet.
>>
>>340824849
>stake their entire E3 presence on it
Nintendo has given zero fucks about E3 for like, two or three years at least
>>
>>340834337
It seems to have been working well for them.
>>
>>340824849
Nintendo never gets anything out of E3 since literally everyone loves to bash them even when there's no reason. Even in the past one that happened among journalists, not just Dorito Pope.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a huge direct a few months after E3.
>>
>>340834221
The trading game is basically Zelda tradition at this point, and there's only one of them in each game, why are you acting like every side quest is like that?
>>
>>340834272
you serious? not him but are you retarded? nintendo isn't announcing any new IPs, no new sequels, no reveals of any kind other than Zelda. that's fucking it. do you honestly think that's not pathetic for a longstanding company whose entire business is literally producing video games (plural)?
>>
>>340834130
>female

Not with that man jaw. Manliest face on a Link we've had in decades.
>>
Just show me some dungeons, Nintendo.
>>
>>340834827
Because those are ALL the side quests in Zelda games. Unless you're ready to pull a plot out of how you've got to plant a bean on the ground and come back later to pick up a heart, there's no other quests in Zelda.

There are activities, as I mentioned, but not "quests" as I'm trying to argue here, with a few humble (and very scarce) exceptions.

Btw, I'm ok with the trading games. The LA one was pretty entertaining. I just wanted more and deeper quests.
>>
>>340835194
Dungeons? Oh no, they've replaced those with thousands of tiny grottoes, a la Elder Scrolls.
>>
>>340834827
>tradition
This is what's killing the franchise.
>>
>>340835194
That'd be a hard feat if they're still on that boat of blending the dungeons and the overworld. Although they've been saying that since before SS, so they might have gone back on that.

But I wish they pulled it off. Okami did it masterfully.
>>
>>340835336
Yeah. Typically most of the "Quests" are all the secret places you find by exploring and completing mini-games.
>>
>>340835336
Zelda's never really been open world before, so of course it hasn't had many side quests like the kind you're talking about. There's not much precedent to go on.
>>
File: wh....jpg (52 KB, 500x321) Image search: [Google]
wh....jpg
52 KB, 500x321
>>340835560
>Zelda's never really been open world before
What uh...what exactly do you define "open world" as?
>>
>>340835662
I mean open world in the sense that an Elder Scrolls game is open world. In most Zelda games (the 3D ones at least) the overworld isn't much more than just a place to link all the other major areas together.
>>
File: a2ugT8M.jpg (56 KB, 600x414) Image search: [Google]
a2ugT8M.jpg
56 KB, 600x414
>>340835560
>what is the first Zelda game
>>
>>340835759
I see what you mean, but I can't agree on that definition with most of the games.
>>
>>340826549
>It's a shitshow that's been delayed over and over and it being pushed back another 18 months so that they can make sure it's not even Wii U exclusive

almost thought you were talking about Twilight Princess there, fampai.
>>
>>340827840
>MGSV was empty

I'm not sure what you mean. The biggest problem with MGSV's open world was that it wasn't empty enough. It was just guard point after guard point. You couldn't go anywhere without hitting one.
>>
When will the open world meme go away?

It killed Metal Gear and it's still going. Make it stop.
>>
>>340835489
And it'd be sad to remove those aspects of the game.
Bring the hearts. Bring the skulltulas. Bring the bugs for me to sell to my lolita waifu. Hell, give me more short grotos and optional dungeons like >>340835378 is saying. TP had a couple and those had an awesome sense of exploration to them, just remember to bring the standard, long dungeons too.

Not all of these elements are mutually exclusive and all of them could potentially work. I just hope they strike a good balance.

>>340835560
Indeed, and that makes me both hopeful and fearful. But I'm one of those weirdos that enjoy every Zelda game for what they are, so I probably have more reason to be optimistic.

There's a lot of RPG elements that could make this franchise improve. I only pray that they borrow the narrative and customization elements, not the stats, numbers and minmaxing.
>>
>>340835759
>its never been open world befor
>what do you mean
>I mean Bethesda has never made a Zelda game before

Are you the autism?
>>
>>340827349
Go to bed Dreamboy
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.