[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>2D >Retro Style >8 Bit >Indie >Platformer Can
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Unoriginal.png (683 KB, 824x900) Image search: [Google]
Unoriginal.png
683 KB, 824x900
>2D
>Retro Style
>8 Bit
>Indie
>Platformer

Can people even make a more unoriginal style of game? Seeing any combination of the above automatically disinterests me.
>>
>>340817691
This game (and especially music) was terrific, not to mention it was made by 1 dude.
Unlike this post which is basically insinuating that all games should be different genres.
2/10 got me to reply
>>
>>340817691
What game
>>
>>340817691
This is probably the only game I've completed and didn't understand the ending until someone told me about the true ending, then suddenly everything fell into place.

I hope they do a second one, I could use a little vengeance, I knew something was up throughout the game but there was nothing I could do about it.
>>
>>340818289
I personally feel it was aggressively mediocre. What did you like about it (besides the music as you already stated your feelings on that, though I feel there's really only one memorable track).
>>
>>340818386
Axiom Verge
>>340817691
I'm making a platformer. Its not:
>2d
>retro style
>8-bit
its indie but we don't really boast that and most people don't think out game is indie either.
Do I get a pass?
>>
>>340818872
What is this mysterious game you're making?
>>
>>340818790
I'll say it's been a while where I've played a game that was a good metroid clone. One that while you play you say "oh shit I shouldn't forget to come back when I get such and such powerup".

I have no issue with it being 2d, retro, platformer, etc. These are just adjectives and honestly "modern age nostalgia" if there is such a thing wasn't a selling point for this game.
>>
Making a 2d side-scrolling rpg. Kind of like Wonder Boy in Monster World, Zelda 2, Castlevenia 2, etc.
>>
>>340818872
Just indie and platformer is fine, im excited for hat in time to finally come out.

I just think 2d 8bit retro style is such a tiresome way to make a game.
>>
>>340818975
Bacon Man
>>
>>340817691
what if you're making a pixel art platformer that's not retro or 8 bit
>>
>>340819040
I think my biggest gripe with the game is that it was a shameless Metroid clone. There's nothing wrong with being inspired by a game but to draw so heavily from Super Metroid is a mistake, because then every step of the way is a comparison to Super Metroid, and no clone can come close to Super Metroid's heights.
>>
>>340819180
Oh shit I think I've actually heard of that prior to now. I did a quick Google search and it definitely seems familiar. How'd you get started in making it and games in general, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
>>340817691
Usually i'd agree with you, OP, but I was curious and pirated Axiom Verge and realized it was a fucking amazing goddamn game.

Considering buying it once I get some more money even though I beat it. The fucking soundtrack though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpoiUqSJu4Y
>>
>>340817691
>Seeing any combination of the above automatically disinterests me.
Seeing that combination automatically interests me.
>>
File: snowtroopers move out.jpg (297 KB, 2372x844) Image search: [Google]
snowtroopers move out.jpg
297 KB, 2372x844
>>340819594
Might be a bit tricky to answer, but I'll do my best.

For 2 years I went to Ringling college and I learned basic 2d and 3d animation there. School was too expensive so I had to switch to a local school.

Local school had a shitty game program. Students had to convince the teachers to try out UDK3 since that just became open source. used it for a semester and a few of us weren't completely satisfied so we decided to spend a summer working on a game to get more use to it. Ended up making a pretty crappy platformer based on the tortoise and the hare, but at least the music was pretty good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5XYkZNmKo8
One of our friends was childhood friends with the musician so that explains how we got the music.

Game got dropped near the end of the summer, but we weren't really making a serious game to sell or anything anyways and it was strictly for learning.

Around that time I came up with the idea for Bacon Man and spent a year just developing the story with 3 other people and drawing character animations and stuff like that. 2 of those 3 eventually broke off and a little over a year later the one other person working on it besides me pitched it to the only good programmer in the school and in a week we finally had something running and jumping in engine. About 6 months later I think we decided 2d sprites would take way too long to finish and we switched characters to 3d.

I could go on more, but I guess the gist is that I got lucky and found a programmer while I was in college. I wouldn't mind telling more, but figured I'd post before this thread dies
>>
>>340817691
Though they're used way too much, sometimes it could take tons of work to do other things. I think of a hat in time and how long it's taking to develop. But there can be really good and original ideas with that art style like roguelight and how it had a really unique mechanic.
>>
>>340819459

Not the one you're talking to, but personally, I don't think anything's wrong with a blatant Metroid clone if it can do things right. Or any kind of clone of a game. If things can be done equal to or better than the original (equal to, assuming, the original wasn't already garbage) then I don't see a problem in it. It pushes people to do better than the original or clone.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.