[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Watching a co-op LP, one autist is telling everyone else what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: sad-woman-at-desk.jpg (432 KB, 800x531) Image search: [Google]
sad-woman-at-desk.jpg
432 KB, 800x531
Watching a co-op LP, one autist is telling everyone else what to do and where to go, interrupting bantz and exploration, apparently has some kind of map with listing of what's coming up ahead.

As a game developer, how do I stop such people from playing my game?
>>
You don't. I'm sorry.
>>
File: 2441764864.jpg (132 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
2441764864.jpg
132 KB, 1500x1500
>Watching LPs
>>
>>340734332
Research my man
>>
If you're a game developer, show us your game.
>>
>>340734490
>"Here's my game, I don't want you to play it if you're an ass-clenched ass burger"
No thanks
>>
>>340734239
different modes/server rooms for different playstyles
>>
>>340735203
No, I don't want shitty people to play my game. I would rather refund them and disallow them if I could
>>
>>340734239
Make it a popular game
>>
>>340735263
Fuck off and write a book then , games are about choice.
>>
I had a somewhat similar problem, I don't want people who are bad at my game to play it, so I introduced some lag if the player failed at a certain number of metrics

If you can somehow measure what it takes to qualify for you as a shitty player than you can sneakily ruin the experience of playing for them in this way
>>
>>340734239
Implement features into the game that triggers their autism so bad it stops them from playing it.
Shouldn't be too hard to fo.
>>
>>340735426
My game isn't. I don't want shitty people to play it. Is this a problem for you?
>>
>>340735558
Your game isn't what? A game?
>>
>>340735509
Pretty good, not sure how I'd measure it though, that will take some thought

>>340735518
I've thought about this but again not sure how to do it exactly.

It will take some thought for sure.
>>
>>340734239
unless you're going to personally interview every potential player and giving them access you can't do shit.
>>
>>340735652
isn't "about choice" whatever the fuck that means.

It's kind of an open-world farming sim type thing. That doesn't mean I want shitty people to play it.
>>
So what , you are going to publish the game without playing it yourself or will you stop shitty people from playing AFTER you finish it?
>>
>>340735864
I'm already thinking of ways to degrade the gameplay of people who I don't want to play it, just gotta think of metrics for figuring out if they're a shitty player or not.

It's not impossible. Thanks for the idea /v/
>>
You can't stop someone from watching a movie.
You can't stop someone from reading a book
You can't stop someone from looking at a painting.

Why would a game be any different?
>>
>>340736265
But none of those have telemetry. My game has telemetry. I don't have to put up with shitty people playing my game badly, and why should I have to?
>>
>>340736265
restricted access can be applied to everything
>>
>play game badly
>oh no your save got corrupted, shit, I'm so sorry about that, file a bug report I'll get right on it
>>
>>340736401
You are talking about filtering peopl eeven before buying the game.
That's tricky and not game-design related.

>>340736375
Unless you keep updating it 25/7 or you make a 10 year leap in AI then a player can simply find other ways to bypass your telemetry checks.

Hell , people could just pirate your game (assuming it's good enough) and crack away the checks alltogether.
>>
>>340734239
Don't release your game to people who will leak it and allow people to make faqs for it.

I.E.

Don't be a faggot and release your game in Japan a year before you release it everywhere else.

Don't be a faggot and send your game to "journalists" hoping that the positive coverage will increase sales.

Don't be a faggot and do early access

Don't be a faggot and have the top 1% of your playerbase do a beta for your latest expansion before it goes live.

So, basically, pay for your shit and release a finished product. Don't release your game until it is 1.0 and pay for fucking game testers.

Also, don't release a game where an image like this can beat your game.
>>
>>340734239

dont sell the game.
>>
>>340736659
That raises a good point, I could disguise the data and make the degraded gameplay hard to notice.
>>
>>340736801
Doable but will take ages to filter out the false positives.
>>
>>340736910
It comes back to what kind of metrics to use I guess.

Thanks for the ideas /v/, gotta think on how best to implement this
>>
>>340736375
If you make the game available for anyone to purchase, shitty people are going to play your game. You can give it an age rating, you can up the price to filter people, but shitty people are going to play your game. And then they are going to make annoying let's plays of it

Unless your game is bad and no one notices or plays it.

You can't filter people from playing your game. You're retarded for thinking it's possible outside the suggested parameters
>>
>>340737139
I happen to disagree. But that does give me the idea of looking for LPs of it and ruining the experience for people who show themselves to be shitty players
>>
>>340737215
You can disagree but making your game available to the public means shitters will play it. I can disagree about the sun coming up.
>>
>>340734239
you are the worst dev ive seen
kys
>>
>>340737721
If I don't want shitty people to play my game why should I have to let them?

>>340737670
If I'm clever enough with the telemetry I can ruin the game for the people I don't want to play. I'd gladly refund if they ask.
>>
>>340734239
Make it so your game requires skills. These people don't play hard games.
>>
>>340737967
You could be upfront and put a popup in that offers them a refund for not playing anymore
>>
>>340738159
I've debated on that too but I think it would raise too much controversy. I'd rather them just stop playing.
>>
Thanks for the help
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.