[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this game really as bad as everyone says it is?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9
Is this game really as bad as everyone says it is?
>>
>>340650021
No
>>
>>340650021
It's not a bad game, but some people don't like it for valid reasons
>>
did it sold under a million or 1? nope

game's not that bad
>>
The 1:1 wiimote to sword animations is a great idea in paper but it's more annoying than anything in game. But it's still an enjoyable game.
>>
>>340650021
Play it and form your own opinions on it, dude. Just don't listen to that faggot Arin.
>>
>>340650021
Compared to the other Zeldas yes. Reusing the same zones for the second half of the game was the most annoying part of the game for me and halfway through my first playthrough there were moments where I just felt bored. The Imprisoned fights really didn't help it's case either.
>>
No, but it's not as good as everyone says it is either.
>>
>>340650556
>It's

Time to kill myself.

>>340650390
I didn't even find the wiimote sword animations that annoying, It's a gimmick that worked loads better than other shit Nintendo has done.
>>
>>340650021
no. If controls have to be 100% tight for you to enjoy a game, then you are a faggot.

Yes fi is annoying, yes the controls are imprecise. But the dungeon design is still solid and the boss fights with girahim are more challenging than anything in zelda so far.
>>
I loved it. Why isn't it on the eShop yet?
>>
>>340650021
It's the worst 3D-Zelda and the second-worst Nintendo-made Zelda. It's not a game on the level of say, The Order or Bioshock Infinite, but it's bad enough to be a notably shit entry in an otherwise pretty good franchise.
>>
>>340650846
>Worst 3D Zelda
>not Tp
Come on man
>>
>>340650952
>Worst 3D Zelda
>not OoT or TWW

srsly?
>>
>>340651214
WW is debatable but OOT is in no way near the worst.
>>
>>340650952
I'm fucking serious, here's a goddamn list of reasons why:

>Worse pacing than TP's opening and MORE cutscenes than ever before. It's close to a half-hour before you even get a sword
>A fucking obnoxious partner who, instead of having a personality, is literally a computer who says the same fucking thing all the goddamn time and repeats shit you already know, breaks the immersion when batteries are low, and even tells you the solution to puzzles without you asking.
>Motion controls that sort of work.
>No true overworld. Nothing is connected, it's a level-hub at this point
>ONLY ONE FUCKING NPC VILLAGE. WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT GARBAGE
>NO WARP SYSTEM
>NO NIGHT/DAY CYCLE
>No fishing
>Currency is even more useless than TP
>Characters are now goofy archetypes with no personality
>FIGHTING THE SAME BOSS 3 GODDAMN TIMES
>HOPE YOU LIKE RESKINS BECAUSE HERE ARE SOME NEW BOKOBOBLINS WE MADE!!!!!!!!!
>ELDIN VOLCANO IS THE WORST FUCKING AREA EVER IN A ZELDA GAME, EVEN WORSE THAN THE FUCKING PIRATE'S FORTRESS IN MAJORA'S MASK
>BACKTRACKING TO THE EXTREME
>SHITTY FORCED INSTRUMENT THAT HAS NO PURPOSE OTHER THAN THE FACT THAT OCARINA HAD AN INSTRUMENT AND EACH ZELDA GAME OBLIGATORILY HAS ONE EVEN THOUGH NO ONE FUCKING CARES. This one doesn't even work.
>Dumb story that takes the centerfold of everything
>Have to flap your arms to play
>It uses gyro instead of pointer! Why the fuck would you EVER use gyro instead of the pointer?!

There is more I could say, but I think I've made my point.
>>
>>340651214
>>340651387
WW has the two of the worst dungeons but arguably the most charm outside of them. Sailing can be pretty cool and the characters are among the best in the series. Swordplay, though simple and easy, is fun and has a nice pace to it.
>>
Hijacking this thread is ocarina of time worth playing if I never playedit before? Does it still hold up today?
>>
>>340651869
Yes, also it doesn't really matter which version you play. The 3D and 64 versions are both great.
>>
>>340651869
oh fuck yes. OoT is a landmark of 3D games and it's absolutely worth a play. I'd recommend the 3D version if only because it's the same game straight down to the bugs and it fixes the worst temple in that game. Also, gyro aiming.

Though that said, the original version has better colors overall.
>>
its a mixed bag with some fantastic highs and awful lows, of course people are going to mention the terrible parts.
>>
>>340652407
what were those fantastic highs? Because the only truly good part I remember is koloktos. Everything else was subpar-to-shit.
>>
The controls were not the best but i enjoyed it.
>>
>>340650021
No. It has its issues but it's still a good game.
>>
>>340650021
I'd actually like to see Zelda U take a lot of direction from it, just not the controls or overly linear world
>>
>>340650684
are you retarded?
>>
Demise is the best 3D Zelda final boss.
>>
>>340652407
>fantastic highs

lol sure. It's the first Zelda game I forced myself to finish. Haven't bought another since.

The few enjoyable fights were still piss easy. Mediocrity looks better against a backdrop of disappointment.
>>
>>340652908
Considering every 3D Zelda since WW has had the sword fight showdown as the final encounter I'd have to give the edge to WW.
>>
>>340650348
What
>>
>>340653237
This. WW's final boss was fucking badass.
>>
File: 8a1.png (26 KB, 462x320) Image search: [Google]
8a1.png
26 KB, 462x320
>>340650021
Biggest complaints I hear are:
>wahh wiimote controls
and
>wah you visit the same areas multiple times

I had trouble with the controls once, very late into the game. if you aren't a retard the controls will be fine. you may find the puzzles that deal with them to be annoying though if you are that kind of person. And as far as "visiting the same areas multiple times". every time you visit these areas you have new equipment and the areas change so I don't see the problem. there are tons of games that people love where areas change much less.

so no, the game isn't bad.
>>
>>340652528

dungeons
boss battles
items
timestone mechanic
link's sprint/stamina system
>>
>>340650021
Zelda is so flowery and gay. When I think about Zelda (defeating the big evil bad guy and restoring peace to the land, and being a chosen one with a gay sword and shield and with flowery game-y music playing) I can't help but think of obese manchildren wearing Zelda T shirts and Mario caps running around swinging a wooden sword pretending to save the world. Even the legend of Zelda theme sounds so hilarious and cringe.
>>
>>340650952
Skyward Sword is most definitely worse.
>>
>>340653779
Ok
>>
>>340653760
>stamina
>good

I loved standing between platforms doing nothing waiting for that shit to recharge. Great gameplay mechanic.
>>
>>340650021

It's a good stand alone game, but compared to Twilight Princess and other entries in the series, there are great steps back, with only a few steps forward that aren't enough.

Bad:
The overworld is emptier than it's ever been. Flying through the sky is a novelty that quickly wears off. 90% of the cast is in the one town, and 5% are in a bar shortly outside the town, and it's an incredibly small cast.
Fi is the most useless, and most talkative partner yet. Midna was talkative, but she had a personality. Fi is literally a robot.
All enemies boil down to "wait for opening, swing in correct direction."
They fixed the annoying "feature" from Twilight Princess where every time you load your save file, it reminds you how much each colored rupee is worth when you pick one up. But they put the same "feature" on crafting materials, and there are WAY MORE unique crafting materials than there are rupee types, so it ends up being worse.

Good:
The sword swinging itself feels pretty good. And the motion controls for all of the items work well.
Link's equipment is focused down to 8 main tools, plus up to 8 side items, and they all get pretty frequently used. Items can be changed pretty much instantly, without pausing the game.
Real-time potions and the upgrade system work well.
>>
File: 1465510087074.jpg (20 KB, 285x327) Image search: [Google]
1465510087074.jpg
20 KB, 285x327
>>340653779
You're trying just a bit too hard there, Anon
But I'll be nice. Here's a (You).
>>
>>340651684
This.

Glad they basically admitted to fucking up with Skyward Sword, but if there's only 2/3 villages again I swear shit's gonna be whack.

I'm worried Nintendo aren't going to fill Zelda U with enough content, I don't even care about The Witcher 3 that much, but that shit's pretty filled with content and is I feel the most apt comparison. If Zelda U has little by comparison it'll look barren.
>>
>>340650556
this. The motion controls aren't a problem really. Theyre perfectly manageable and even superior in some circumstances. But the game has a lot of backtracking and no real overworld. It's linear and for the first time with a 3d zelda game, I felt like I just wanted to get it over with about alfway thru. And I went in blind so wasn't influenced by other people's opinions.

That being said, it's not awful, its still zelda so you can still get some enjoyment out of it. the dungeons are good and the story is solid. It's just not as good as the other games and the pacing is genuinely frustrating
>>
>>340653760
>dungeons
I liked the first one, the Water one and the Ship, can't remember the rest.
>boss battles
Holy shit no, you're remembering Koloktos and that's it, the rest sucked. At least the lava ball thing, as generic as it was, had a bit of energy to it.
>items
Less than before and still useless shit like the gust bellows. Still no item interplay.
>timestones
I'll give you that
>stamina
Ran out WAY too fast.
>>
>>340650021
Everyone was too busy picking up their jaw from the ground after playing Xenoblade to care about SS.

XENOBLADE absolutely stomped SS in terms of pretty much everything. Zelda just couldn't keep up.

Xenoblade is still the best game on the Wii, and the best game from Nintendo since the Wii.
>>
>>340650846
>>340650952
>>340651214
All wrong. Worst Zelda is objectively Majora you dumbshits.
>>
>>340651684
>>Currency is even more useless than TP
I disagree, in fact I'm pretty sure I bought way more stuff in SS than in any other Zelda.

Most of your other points are solid enough though. I still like SS more than TP though, it had more charm to it in my opinion and I really felt like I didn't have to think at all when I played though TP. I legitimately, literally fell asleep in the first dungeon of TP on my first play through.
>>
>>340650021

yes
>>
>>340655975
You must be out of your goddamn mind if you think MM is the worst.
>>
>>340650021
Worth a try even if you hate motion controls.
>>
The sword controls are manageable but the flying controls are complete shit
>>
>>340651826
Which dungeons you talkin about? I liked all of them...
>>
>>340650021

Cons:
the stamina mechanic makes it tedious even with all the things they try to do with it.

The game hand holds you a lot, most nintendo games nowadays seem to be way too easy and give the player everything without them having to do shit.

Enemies telegraph their attacks too much, its for the player to use the motion controls but I wish you eventually meet enemies that require you to be constantly on the move and attacking from many different angles.

Although the characters have a lot of personality, and this Link is very expressive, the art style makes things look too weird for my taste, I prefer the style of Hyrule Warriors.

Fi is somehow worse than Navy.

Pros
There seems to be an actual relationship between Link and Zelda, which motivates you to actually save her, too bad they don't do anything beyond friendly smiles by the end.

The crafting system is really interesting and its implemented well for being the first Zelda with crafting, the game needs to stop telling you everytime you get an item though.

Temples have clever puzzles that were very fun to me.
>>
>>340656839
Forsaken Fortress and the Earth Temple were ass.
>>
>>340656839
The Wind and Earth temples are fucking awful.
>>
I play zelda games since the very first. Here is my opinion.

Is not THAT bad, what is really shitty in SS is the environment, that sky thing is a shit in therms of everything. But honestly, i found it as the hardest zelda of the 3D group (never died anywhere since a link tp the past, died in MM but because of its mechanics, not because of its battles, in SS i died fighting). (Zelda 2 is still incomparable to any other, btw...)

The guy saying that MM is the worst should kill himself.

Don't expect any hard in-dungeon system as in OOT - water temple i.e.

But yes again, it's still enjoyable
>>
>>340650021
nothing is ever as bad as people say it is
even hitler, he repaired europe before he got overzelous
>>
>>340650476
/thread
>>
It's not bad, but it's not that great either.

Then again, 3D Zelda games have been "not great" ever since the N64 died.
>>
>>340657286
>twilight Princess isnt perfect
>>
pros:
1:1 wiimote controls
artstyle
ghirahim

cons:
lame story
fetch quests for dayz
lack of caves
lack of enemy encounters
cutscene everytime you pick up an item
lack of variety in it's formula
>>
>>340656912
>>340656928
Is it because of controlling the bird and plant guy? Because i really did hate doing that.
>>
>>340650021
no it's a pretty great game. you'll hate the motion controls if you're as fat as most of /v/ is though
>>
I think it became the most insulting game I ever played when like four dungeons in Fi stopped me to remind me what a boss door looked like, then stopped me later again to remind me what a boss key chest looked like.
>>
>>340656980
>The guy saying that MM is the worst should kill himself.
Fucking this. MM is the best 3D.
>>
>>340654000
Why would it need to be compared to the Witcher anyway? The Witcher never came to any Nintendo console, so most people who'll play Zelda probably never even played The Witcher myself included.
>>
It's not without issues but to me it felt like a return to at least Wind Waker quality after the awful Twilight Princess. Not the best game in the series, not the worst. It's alright.
>>
Not at all, at least in my opinion. I played both Twilight Princess and Skyward sword one after another a couple years ago for the first time, and I enjoyed the latter FAR more than the former. I felt when I was using the sword that this is how TP should have handled, so it was an immense upgrade in that regard. The story was also pretty damn fun to me, and I loved the upgrade system. About the only negative I had was that roaming was a chore and there wasn't a whole lot to explore. But the world was vibrant and fun to see the first time, so I'd suppose it would only get on my nerves if I were playing through it again.

It's my favorite Zelda since Wind Waker, though I haven't played Link Between Worlds and I'm told it is phenomenal.
>>
>>340650021
It's painfully mediocre, with plenty of waste potential.
>>
File: The_Imprisoned_Second_Battle.png (543 KB, 794x900) Image search: [Google]
The_Imprisoned_Second_Battle.png
543 KB, 794x900
It also has some of the shittiest character design I've ever seen in a mainline entry for a companies flagship franchise.
>>
>>340650021
It feels pretty rushed and unfinished but is comfy af and pirate ship is really fun. Some of the best music of the series too. Feels pretty majora's masky to me senpai
>>
I don't know why everyone says that the beginning's so bad. It was WAY better than TP's, since it kept you interested in all the character's interactions and was very interesting to look at, as opposed to a shitty brown town with villagers that all acted the same
It's a bit long, sure, but still a good introduction
>>
>>340650021
Nah. The controls never bothered me. But i did feel traditional controls would help the flow better
>>
>>340657423
TP is a watered down Ocarina of Time with a shitty wolf gimmick that's just there for the sake of padding
>>
>>340659729
More like a wolf gimmick that's just there for the sake of paddling
>>
>>340659729
Why do people shit on Twilight Princess for having the wolf padding the game out while Wind Waker with that boring triforce shard quest that's also padding gets a free pass?
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 1863x1697) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 1863x1697
>>340650021
Is ALBTW any good?
>>
I hate how it feels when you use your sword on enemies. It doesn't feel like I'm slashing them with my sword, it feels more like I'm slapping them with a fly swatter. I also didn't care for how the enemies blocked attacks as it just made combat a really boring and easy puzzle
>>
>>340650021
No. It's not. It's a good game, actually. Mayhaps not anywhere close to the greatest Zelda game, but hardly anywhere near to the worst as many suggest.

It's got a lot of really annoying handholding, which is a legitimate gripe about the game's quality.

It ditches a lot of the exploration aspect that the series is known for in exchange for a fairly linear experience, which is only a real flaw when held up in comparison to other games in its franchise and is hardly that sinful when the game is measured on its own merits.

Finally, it's got a motion-based control scheme, which right from the outset many people are going to judge on motion-based games that came before in a(n at the time) fledgling tech field, but furthermore many people are simply not going to understand because they're going to walk in with the expectation that the game is gonna be a 1:1 swordfighting simulator, when in reality it's got a set of limitations that, while flexible, still set some ground rules for how to control the game that many people just plain don't bother to learn, never mind hardware failure or user error being blamed on the game itself because it chose that control scheme.

Basically think of it as... Wind Waker, in the sky. Except there's only one real town, the sea/sky is much smaller, there are fewer islands in general, and there's three major transfer points from sea/sky overworld into the dungeon surroundings, which then branch further to the actual dungeons. There's lots of side quests, lots of well-written characters (whom I would argue are written better and more consistently than Wind Waker), and combat actually has more to it, even if it's Simon Says compared to being able to grab enemy weapons for different three-hit combos. Furthermore I'd even say it feels more... "complete" than Wind Waker did, as WW was a game where you could really feel the missing content, whereas this feels like it did most of what it wanted to do but got overzealous with handholding
>>
>>340661878
yes
>>
>>340661878
ALBW is good, yes. Not as good as its father game, but still good. My only real gripe is that dungeons weren't a little bit longer but there was a lot of puzzle variety and flexibility in how you approached certain puzzles, especially with regards to optional objectives within dungeons.
>>
>>340650021
>everyone says it is
Certainly not everyone. There's a billion people who don't even have electricity, why would they give a shit?
So as an average of all humanity, the opinion of everyone is a resounding "I don't know", and anyone making positive or negative judgements is an outlier.
>>
>>340650021
No.
>>
File: D0xku2d.jpg (40 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
D0xku2d.jpg
40 KB, 600x450
>>340650348
>sales = quality
>>
>>340654000
>Glad they basically admitted to fucking up with Skyward Sword, but if there's only 2/3 villages again
Like every other Zelda game? Skyward Sword only having one was shitty, but Zelda games usually have 2 regular size villages, and then some really tiny other towns for the non-Hylians.
>>
A Hero Mode, medallion-limited run of SS is fucking brutal.
>>
>>340650952
TP is fantastic once you get past the 3 starter dungeons, which need the wolf exploration shit to unlock. They weren't even that bad themselves, apart from the first one.
In all honesty I dropped the game for 3 years because of that shit, it was just uninteresting. Even the first dungeon (forest) didn't hold up well.
Then once I got through the wolf hurdle it became fucking great.
Everything after was fantastic, with Snowpeak ruins (fuck yeah Ball 'n' chain)/ City in the sky (dual hookshots spiderman) being the peak.
The desert dungeon (the spinning cog thing was fun) and temple of time dungeon were also nice.
It dropped the ball a bit again at the end with The shadow boss jobbing for another Ganon fight, with the final battle being pretty uninteresting. Also the twilight realm time limit dungeon sucked.
The game was great in the middle of it. The side content was fantastic and it had more realistic skills for Link than ever before, like shield bashing/ vaulting over the enemy.
Wind waker's whirlwind and parry were pretty retarded in that degree, because they were over the top and not in the player's hands. But they matched what the game had going for it.
TP seems bad at first but it was a pretty good game in the end, especially once the twilight/wolf shit was over.
Nowhere near the worst Zelda.

>>340656928
Wind and Earth were great dungeons, the shine light/ wind mechanics were pretty good. Their only issue is they weren't as fun/colorful as the others, and dragged on for a while.
They just didn't match the laid back/cartoony feel the game/other dungeons had going for it.
For one, the re-deads showing up in earth probably fucked with a lot of people, considering they looked retarded as fuck in the art style.
Having forced scary enemies in the game, when everything else is goofy didn't work that well. They ended up looking retarded as fuck and nothing like the horrific re-deads from N64 Zelda titles.
>>
It's not as bad as everyone Arin makes it out to be.
>>
File: 199.jpg (146 KB, 884x666) Image search: [Google]
199.jpg
146 KB, 884x666
>>340667175
>The fucking Boss Rush

For some reason I always get the Imprisoned two times in a row.
>>
File: 250px-PeatriceSS.png (70 KB, 250x253) Image search: [Google]
250px-PeatriceSS.png
70 KB, 250x253
>>340650021
Yeah Link chose the wrong girl.
>>
File: 4567658989.jpg (48 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
4567658989.jpg
48 KB, 1280x720
Thank god for cheat devices/hacking. Codes fixed a lot of my problems with the game. Hell, they should be mandatory at this point.
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.