[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hello, /v/elicious. Just picked this up, and man, the cover ROCKS.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8
File: CUUUUUUUUUUUUUNT.jpg (1 MB, 2000x2545) Image search: [Google]
CUUUUUUUUUUUUUNT.jpg
1 MB, 2000x2545
Hello, /v/elicious. Just picked this up, and man, the cover ROCKS. It looks so cool, right?

Elementary ;)
>>
File: 1337724890906.gif (3 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1337724890906.gif
3 MB, 320x240
Well, Frogware's Sherlock Holmes games have evolved before and while I consider vs Jack the Ripper the best one, The Testament of Sherlock Holmes was also all right and I'd actually say Crimes and Punishments shares the second place with The Awakened.

The ccover does look kinda awful, but I do also have some faith in the developer. We'll see if it's actually "Generic action vidya, definitely not Sherlock Holmes" or if it's actually good.
>>
>>340642772
There is literally nothing wrong with this

The developers already made like 6 good Sherlock Holmes games and I bet you haven't played any of them you faggot
>>
>>340642772
two previous games were great, games before those two were decent
and they also make laovecraftian adventure game
sad how developer not that well known
>>
>>340643642
Sherlock Holmes : The Awakened was a lovecraftian Sherlock Holmes story, pretty fucking awesome
>>
>>340642772
Is that a scripted over-the-shoulder autoaim shooter exclusive to the PS4? That's the vibe I'm getting from the box.
>>
>>340644971
The prior games have been point-and-click adventure/puzzle games, the more recent bunch played playable from first-person perspective

Since it hasn't been released yet, I can't definitely say anything but Devil's Daughter (mind you, that almost certainly refers to events that took place in The Awakened and then The Testament) but I think there is a good reason to believe it's not a fundamental departure from the old formula, that kind of cover or not.
>>
>>340643290
I still have no idea how those games play. The graphics look kinda crap in most of the screenshots, are they real 3D with a free camera or prerendered static screens? Are there awful forced action sections? Is there a lot pixel hunting or trying everything on everything? How's the writing (does the plot make sense, is the mystery actually interesting, how artificial do dialogues feel)?
>>
>>340644971
Don't be butthurt pcuck, its a multiplat.
>>
I got all of the previous games, enjoyed every one of them. Even preordered the previous one.
With this I'm not really sure, will probably wait for opinions. Sadly the games are really not that well known.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogUZqnHqW9M
some gameplay
>>
>>340645734
The older games (Adventure of Silver Earring, Mystery of the Mummy) are pre-rendered backgrounds, I personally didn't like them. The more recent ones are still point-and-click adventure/puzzle games at their core but you can also play from first-person perspective, which I think is a preferred way of playing them.

There isn't pixel hunting per se but some of the levels are fairly large and it might not be 100% obvious what exactly you need to do in order to advance the investigation.

There hasn't been any action sequences thus far.

Dialogue is standard "exhaust all options" thing, deductions tend to be made in form of puzzles rather than dialogue (and I think the game does a good job at making you feel like Holmes in that you feel smart solving the puzzles but then Holmes makes deductions at a level you'd expect from him, you also play as Watson at times, once as Lestrade, to achieve a similar effect).

All of the stories tend to have one weaker point or another (for example, in vs Jack the Ripper Holmes investigates the case incognito and has to do some busywork to get statements out of people and such like, but it does kinda make sense and I really like the resolution: it has a sound explanation as to why the case wasn't officially solved, and it does have a plausible real-world culprit as Ripper) but they're generally good. Crimes and Punishments has a number of shorter cases (two of them fairly faithful adaptations of the novels) instead.

The puzzles tend to be pretty good, and in most cases relevant to the investigation. Crimes and Punishments is less about traditional puzzles and more about investigation itself, it also has a possibility of reaching the wrong conclusion or not reporting the criminal to the authorities (think of think of The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton).
>>
>>340646620
Seems to be mostly the same deal as Crimes and Punishments.
>>
>>340648615
i dont remember much from crimes and punishments but this one has some pretty annoying mini games by the looks of it
>>
>>340648991
Well, I wasn't a fan of the sequence where you follow some guy as one of the Baker Street Irregulars in the most generic stealth game fashion but when I skimmed over the video, most of it was looking for clues, talking with people or making deductions in the deduction board, the kind of stuff I want to see.
>>
I enjoyed their other SH games so I'm willing to give this a try.
>>
File: mbison.gif (1021 KB, 288x162) Image search: [Google]
mbison.gif
1021 KB, 288x162
I'm glad I'm not the only one on /v/ who enjoys the Sherlock games.
>>
File: 2014-09-29_00009-100464143-orig.jpg (317 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2014-09-29_00009-100464143-orig.jpg
317 KB, 1920x1080
Wanna look hot and young again?

Solve murder cases.

Bitches love crime.
>>
File: 1456876348983.jpg (26 KB, 200x108) Image search: [Google]
1456876348983.jpg
26 KB, 200x108
>>340642772

>Elementary ;)

That's where you should be.
>>
>>340649427
and casual use of cocaine
>>
>>340647031
Interesting post, thank you.
>>
>>340647031
Does the game have supernatural element, because the trailer for the new game make it look like it have ?
>>
>>340650208
Well, I don't know about the new game, but The Awakened had Holmes investigating a cult that thinks Lovecraftian gods exist. However, I think it was a tasteful crossover and quite in line with stories like The Hound of Baskervilles and The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire (nothing definitely supernatural is shown and Holmes isn't depicted in believing in those things either).
>>
I started playing Crimes and Punishment but I felt the game was solving itself so I dropped it, is this the case only for the first case? Is it worth it to push trough?
>>
Which SH should I play?
>>
File: TToSH.jpg (282 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
TToSH.jpg
282 KB, 1280x720
I hated this game, It felt like some bullshit filler puzzles and a half arsed Holmesian story
>>
>>340651465
the fucking chemisty kit drove me mad in that game
>>
>>340651082
The Awakened
Rose Tattoo
>>
File: 26362342674_36ed00b0f0_o.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1079) Image search: [Google]
26362342674_36ed00b0f0_o.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1079
>>
>>340642772
>delayed in north america
>announced a week before release
this is fucking bullshit familia i have a toaster right now (and i know id probably still be able to run it) but i wanted to play this on my ps4. now im going to end up waiting for a torrent.

torrent when
>>
>>340642772
I really enjoyed Crimes and Punishments so I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.
>>
>>340645409
its the same kind of game and the settings are the same layout and feel or whatever, but it's a "reimagining" of the characters and story. they have new VAs and just look at holmes and watsons redesigns. holmes is john hamm and watson is a canadian lumberjack.
>>
>>340653032
Why is he dressed like it's 1810 when it takes place in 1895?
>>
>>340643932

I downloaded that, but couldn't get the fucking thing to save. So I played like 6 hours in one sitting until I got to the asylum. First thing that happens is Watson gets busted and game over with no continue. I should try getting that game to work again.
>>
>>340642772
>game is 39.99€ before release
>now the 'original price' is 45 € with a 10% discount
Epic
>>
>>340650208
there was one case about a ghost train in crimes and punishment, which i sorta rolled my eyes at because I hate that kind of stuff in a mystery/detective game (or movie, or show, or book for that matter). However by the end of it you piece together that it was just an illusion and the reconstruct it themselves. Another case was about some ancient mythical cult that did human sacrifices for power, it was another one I thought was bordering on the supernatural while investigating but in the end there was a reasonable explanation for it.
>>
>>340651082
jack the ripper is pretty OK but i think the best one so far is Crime and Punshiment if only because it's the least dated of the series. The deduction system in C&P is also great, and there's 5 separate cases rather than one large one. Haven't played the old point and click games with pre rendered backgrounds, or the lovecraftian one yet though.
>>
>>340650582
what do you mean it was solving itself? Even the first case has many plausible outcomes and red herrings, you choose who to prosecute and then a moral choice on top of that, but you still find out whether you were right or wrong in the end. It's far from self-solving. Infact, most of the game comes from adding up the clues and finding all the possible outcomes and thinking what one makes the most sense yourself.
>>
>>340653930
they were running a 20% pre-sale discount on steam, and an additional 10% if you owned any of the other Sherlock games on steam.
>>
>>340653591
He isn't
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.