[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it worth learning if I have 0 experience on programming and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: Unity_3D_logo.png (17 KB, 327x180) Image search: [Google]
Unity_3D_logo.png
17 KB, 327x180
Is it worth learning if I have 0 experience on programming and modeling?
>>
???
Is it worth learning to paint if I have 0 experience painting?
What kind of question is that?
>>
Just hire a neckbeard programmer and buy cheap models from vietnamese and chinese modelers.
>>
>>340620834
that's a totally different type of question though.
>>
Yes.

Any question that regards 'is it worth learning' is worth it, unless you have no motivation. Even learning to count through prime factorization.
>>
>>340620687
>0 experience
no.
>>
>>340620687

Unity actually requires programming if you want to get anywhere. They really overstate their engines user-friendliness to be honest. It's not nearly as friendly as they portray it.

You can use UE4 without any knowledge at all thanks to Blueplrints, and you'll get way further with a lack of experience than Unity.
>>
>>340621038
no, he's right. unity is a programming tool. Only anti-unity memespammer believe it's drag and drop shit.
>>
Nah m8 there's a minimum of knowledge required.
>>
A game engine is a tool that you use to put together art and code, and turn them into a game.
You COULD learn just the tool, but it's kinda pointless. It would be like learning how to handle a fork, when you don't have any food
>>
Op here for anyone who actually programs or 3d models where did you learn your site?

School
Books
YouTube

? Thanks
>>
>>340621401

Learned 3D modelling through hilariously shit intenrnet downloads, good old 30 videos at postage stamp reoslutions. Was a while before youtube, around 2000-2001.

It's so much easier now with youtube and a million companies offering tutorials.
>>
>>340621068
This, just fucking do it if you feel like it
>>
>>340621538
Which program do you use?

Thinking of using blender as I heard it's the best.

Thanks
>>
>>340621627
3DS Max
>>
>>340621401
My first 3D software was Google Sketchup (I always loved to draw, and mess around with ingame level editors, though). After that, I started "animating" in Flash.
Then I started to take it seriously, and went 2 years to a 3D animation and game development school. And now I'm going to do an overgraduate in game design.
But most of the stuff you learn on your own (trying other tools, ripping models from games, reading blogs...). Just know that videogame development will take literally all your time (I sometimes even dream about it), so make sure that's really what you want to do, before jumping into it
>>
ue4 is much easier if you dont know programming. blueprints make it pretty easy

you will have to learn modeling regardless of the engine if you are doing 3D
>>
As someone who has done a bunch of Unity stuff following tutorials and online guide videos from YouTube, I can tell you straight up that Unity is a decent enough way to get into designing fun little things.

Consider it a stepping stone to more advanced stuff. Learn the C# stuff and ignore the Javascript/Unityscript shit, as C# can be used elsewhere.

As masochistic as it sounds, learn blender. That shit is balls to the wall retarded in terms of usability, but you can create amazing things with it.

Take your time, learn things bit by bit, and don't try anything overly ambitious until you know you have the knowledge behind you to do it.
>>
>>340624271
Op here thanks.
>>
>>340620687
I don't understand why you guys do this to yourselves. I mean I get that you want to make games but you can't do it all yourselves. A better approach would be to focus on a single field that you like doing and collaborate with others to make games.
>>
>>340620687
>Is it worth learning if I have 0 experience on programming and modeling?
I hate questions like this. Do you want to learn programming? Then yes, you can learn programming with Unity and learn how to use Unity at the same time. If you want to learn modelling then no, you need a 3D modelling program. If you want to make a game then there's plenty of both free pre-made game solutions and finished models, none of which will help you make an actual good game. It takes years of practice to make good games, even if you know how to program and model.

tl;dr what do you want to do? Make games, program, or make 3D art? If you want to make games then make board games first to learn how to make things "fun".
>>
>>340621627
Like this guys said>>340621639
It's easier than Maya.
>>
File: 155231.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
155231.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>340626973
"fun" is subjective, the real goal is making a game deep without being too complex. a.k.a. elegant design
>>
>>340621169
>unity is a programming tool.
no it isn't, it's a game engine, kys
>>
>>340626748
So many anons on /v/ are simply too young or deluded to realise how much work goes into making a game.

A one man job for anything beyond remaking pacman would take you about a year at least for something super basic and 2d only with music and art.

A full game in Unity on your own with no prior coding or modelling knowledge? I'll see your game release as a turd in 2 years+ and that's assuming you will work on it daily and actually drag your balls through glass to do at least acceptable bug testing
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.