[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So now that the dust has settled, was it really all that bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 32
So now that the dust has settled, was it really all that bad?
>>
Nah its good if you like metal gear portable ops and peace walker. It's Ashame it isn't finished though. It's all Konamis fault the bastards
>>
It's actually the second best Metal Gear game.
That's not to say I wasn't disappointing with its underwhelming story, but honestly, at least the story wasn't as awful as Guns of the Patriots.
>>
The gameplay is fantastic, but it's unfortunately dropped into a dull, empty open world. Still has enough trademark Kojima details and TECHNOLOGY to make it a lot of fun though.

The unfinished story is unforgiveable but it didn't stop me from putting 200+ hours into it.
>>
>>340614986
This is the truth right here. It's not that it's a super bad game, in fact the gameplay is stellar, it's just that so much was cut that it just leaves a bad taste in your mouth at the end and then you're forced to accept that it's the last true mgs game
>>
>>340613121
Does this thread really need to be made everyday? The consensus is always "It was pretty good, but ultimately disappointing."
>>
>>340613121
It's a good game, but a horrible Metal Gear game. Simply because it has the potential to be the best Metal Gear ever. The thought that it could've been better kinda sours it for me.
I'd rather play an outright bad game than an ok game that could've been great.
>>
Yes.
>>
>>340613121
It was arguably the best Metal Gear game and yet is was still unfinished.

That's how I felt after beating it and how I still feel now. It could have arguably been the greatest video game of all time if Kojima were allowed to finish it.
>>
One of the things I really ended up disliking was the loss of difficulty settings in favor of everything being a single monolithic difficulty.

You can go for S ranks, but that doesn't usually end up being interesting stealth gameplay since the easiest way to get them is to rush through the missions ultra quickly. That and reflex mode, which feels like a mistake, though I can understand why they included it.
>>
Mechanically a good game. Storywise it's engaging until the awkward second chapter. Also, too easy with the tranq and buddies available
>>
File: 1465229796046.jpg (86 KB, 550x825) Image search: [Google]
1465229796046.jpg
86 KB, 550x825
I pick it up once in a while, play it for five minutes, then have to stop.

Its a dull, boring world and is made all the less fun by the terrible AI and nothing worth doing. The developers seemed to want to screw over anyone who doesnt enjoy the FOB mechanic.
>>
>>340613121
It's a Great game but a terrible Metal Gear Solid.
>>
honestly the best way to play it, ive discovered, is to play with no hud, no reflex mode, OSP only, as someone other than big boss. if you die, you need to redeploy as someone else, too.
nonlethal is optional, and honestly it's basically impossible unless you're used to not working with the tranq.
>>
>>340613121
>So now that the dust has settled, was it really all that bad?
mediocre
>>
>>340615703
/thread
>>
>>340613121
Good, but not great (And obviously it could've done with another 6 months dev time). A good portion of the reason is gets shitposted here so badly is that people were hyping it up to be the second coming of action games.
>>
The only time I had fun was when I was infiltrating actual bases and not just random tents and grids of shit. So twice in the game. I don't understand how there was so little level design. All they had to do was make ground zeroes like 15 times. The open world is shit and a complete waste of time as you are just fucking running through vast amounts of empty desert and forest. The whole base developing shit is fucked.
>>
>>340615813
Osp?
>>
>>340616020
On-site procurement nigga. You haven't played MGS1?
>>
I thought it was one fo the best games I've played in the past 15 years.

consider the fact that people here complained about it because it didn't have enough 2 hour japanese storyline exposition of sub-fanfic tier writing.

my favorite complaint is "you can only do the missions one way" because they started doing the missions one way and it worked through the entire game because any method is viable through the entire game, which is excellent game design
>>
Better than the shitfest that was MGS2
>>
>>340615552
you set the difficulty yourself based on how you play. perfect stealth/ghost with limited equipment is extremely difficult. ramboing is not. you can also remove markers, etc. to make it more difficult.

the Infinite Heaven mod also lets you customize the game more. make more missions OSP, give enemies more health, better eyesight and hearing, etc.
>>
File: 1325891279548.gif (11 KB, 730x413) Image search: [Google]
1325891279548.gif
11 KB, 730x413
>>340615649
>Thought to myself "I'll have to be careful with that shitty-ass manual tranq pistol and those unsilenced tranq snipers and stun rifles"
>Unlock weapon customization
>Unlock tranq AM-MRS
>Unlock tranq Burkov
>mfw
>>
>>340615813
continuing
this playstyle is to put emphasis on the actual stealth. valuing your one life and your lack of superhuman powers will have you wanting to sneak more carefully than to stroll in and tranq everyone
>>
>>340613121
yes
>>
A good game in a series of all great games
>>
>>340616237
epic win my dude
>>
>>340616512
>MGS4
>great game
>>
>>340616578

Fucking faggot solid Snake faggot

Big Boss forever
>>
File: frodo.png (325 KB, 560x559) Image search: [Google]
frodo.png
325 KB, 560x559
>>340613121
People who are still capable of immersion and roleplay: no

People who are incapable of grasping anything other than gameplay mechanics: yes
>>
File: I'M NUUCLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARR.png (173 KB, 800x585) Image search: [Google]
I'M NUUCLEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARR.png
173 KB, 800x585
>tfw can barely go back and play this game anymore without my jaded autistic nature making me feel inherently disgusted, but can still effortlessly GET HYPE when I revisit old trailers from GDC's and E3's of Old

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KckCsw_JyJI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESBXOOMi7SE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XmDYJBZZdc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LY3ftiLqmE
>>
>>340616663
Stop posting, Kojima.
>>
It wasn't bad, it was unfinished. Konami shot themselves in the foot, like they always do.
>>
It's great.

It's just not the absolute masterpiece the trailers made it out to be. It wasn't the epic downfall of Big Boss, not MEN BECOME DEMONS or any of the shit. It was a Metal Gear PMC simulator, it was Peace Walker 2.

It was quite literally a spin-off masquerading as MGS5. It wasn't the missing link to end the saga and it was never meant to be.
>>
>>340616715
What? People who put gameplay above all else like TPP the most.
>>
>>340616446
I know you can have your own makeshift European Extreme mode by restarting every time you get caught, but the fact that there's no option to make guards more observant/tougher in the game by default feels horribly lazy to me, and I can't see any good reason to take them out
>>
>>340616761
yeah they shot themselves in the foot by not dumping more budget into it when slaes wouldnt have improved
>>
>>340616809
Most of the complaints I see are centered around the open world, maps and mission stucture
>>
>>340617013
There's that, but at the same time I see most people agree that controlling Snek is pure bliss.
>>
>>340614986
This
I'm still having fun but FUCK if there's a SINGLE game showing you how good gameplay alone means nothing without good level design, it's MGSV
>>
>>340614885
This.
>>
>>340617105
Well yeah, now we're basically agreeing that /v/ is not one single person

I think we might also be agreeing that The Phantom Pain was a good game, dear lord are we?
>>
>>340617325
That certainly seems to be the consensus of this thread.
>>
>>340616787
It's called V and not 5 for a reason anon
>>
It was cool. I'd probably enjoy it more if it wasn't in any way related to Metal Gear. The only direct connections were lobotomized characters and one huge robot anyways.
>>
File: 1447448020463.jpg (188 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1447448020463.jpg
188 KB, 600x450
MGS1=MGS2>GZ>TPP>MGS4>MGS3>PW>PO

Inb4 memecal le bait XDD responses and other memedditors with nothing intelligent to say

Also in terms of protagonists

Old Snake> Raiden > Solid Snake> Big Boss > Venom
>>
>>340616896
Play it on PC and mod it
>>
>>340617476
>MGS4
>better than 3

Jesus fucking christ
>>
File: A Fucking Faggot.gif (2 MB, 360x203) Image search: [Google]
A Fucking Faggot.gif
2 MB, 360x203
If I had a nickle for every time the dust fucking settles on /v/, I would be running for president.
>>
>>340617492
What are some good mods?
>>
File: iij.jpg (78 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
iij.jpg
78 KB, 640x480
>>340616165
>any method is viable through the entire game, which is excellent game design

being 14 called, it wants its retarded shit back

Making a sandbox is the lousiest and easiest "game design" you can imagine, the solution was to just make shitty monotone levels and guards that let you curbstomp them regardless of playstyle

not to mention the game is still condescending as fuck and says youre doing it wrong when you arent getting S ranks or extracting good soldiers

theres only one playstyle with a few different weapon choices, unless youre deliberately retarded/ fucking around in subsequent playthroughs since youre in permanent NG+ anyways
>>
>>340613121
As usual, /v/ hyped the living shit out of it believing it was going to be a perfect masterpiece and thinking the cinematic trailers were an accurate representation of the game, not learning a lesson from the Ground Zeroes trailer which pretty much revealed the entire plot and every cutscene. When the game turned out to be flawed (but still very good) everyones opinion changed to 1/10 it's shit
>>
>>340617549
How underage are you? LE MGS3 WAS MY FIRST ACTION GAME XDD

Everything MGS3 does, MGS4 does better- MGS3 is a joke and a shitstain on its entire genre, and its failure is put to context by the best stealth game of all time releasing when MGS3 did (Splinter cell 3)

There is not a single thing about MGS3 that isnt halfassed, the only "defense" you ever hear for the game is that you can throw poisoned food for guards or fuck up their supplies: fucking wow, thats sure amazingly deep for a total of one time when the option is crawling through grass with the highest camo rating

half of the game is browsing menus with zero thought involved, the other half is crawling or slowwalking with the DPAD

the CQC is worse than in MGS4 ( not to mention core controls and mechanics) but it also isnt the arcadey game that MGS2 was, being a middle ground of trying to ape better games like splinter cell while still trying to be MGS (which was always mediocre to begin with, sans its stylistic identity and cinematic elements)

MGS3 is babbys first game: the game
>>
>>340617492
I know you can mod it, I'm saying that it's not acceptable for a basic gameplay feature to be missing even if you can mod it in, particularly when it was in all the previous games by default. I'm not sure how that's hard to understand, especially since the ability to do it is clearly in the game with certain missions already having an extreme mode. It's a retarded thing to not include
>>
File: 1464763660845.gif (156 KB, 260x187) Image search: [Google]
1464763660845.gif
156 KB, 260x187
>>340617393
mfw

>>340617476
You sure made your attempt at heading off opinions different than yours, but seriously why put 4 above 3?
>>
>>340617882
For some reason in MGS3, no matter how sneaky i am, the enemies always turn around before i CQC them.
>>
>>340616476
When do you get that
>>
>>340617986
Learn to think for yourself
>>340617882
>>
>>340617615
I use one called infinite heaven and it lets you change things like enemy distance, hearing lower health, make all missions subsistence, or just osp. Gave the game a new lease of life you can customise almost everything
>>
>>340618069
Get what? The customization? You have to do a bunch of side ops to get the "Capture the legendary gunsmith" series of side ops. Don't know which exactly since I've decided to beat every single side op as soon as they appear. I'm sure Google can help you.
>>
>>340613121
NOW THAT THE DUST HAS SETTLED CAN WE AGREE THAT THIS MEME SHOULD FUCKING END
>>
>>340616056
Nigga?
>>
>>340618054
You have to use the D-pad to sneak otherwise they will hear you every time.
>>
>>340618137
How does that even happen
>>
It had great gameplay.

But even if there was a chapter 3 I don't think I would have been satisfied by the ending.

I can understand why some people like Venom Snake and why it can be a sort of thank you to fans. But it just doesn't feel like this is the missing part that bridges the gap between Peace Walker and MG1 other than to assume that Solid Snake is the bad guy all along and Venom/Big Boss are just demonized by the Patriots.

It also kind of throws the whole Zero is the bad guy plot out of the window. He really did save Big Boss, spared Kaz, created Venom and had them protected and cared for because he wanted to see his friend again.

Which also means that the whole Skullface plot is kind of a wash. Skullface dies thinking Venom is Big Boss. So we accept Venom as Big Boss because of that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0SlwIoT6o

Later on Volgin doesn't buy it when he finally pins Venom. He goes dormant because it's not the real Big Boss even with all the memory conditioning and plastic surgery.

Like others have said, Venom isn't really out for vengeance. The closest we get is his sidestory with Paz but other than that he barely reacts/speaks. It may explain how BB got even more of a legendary status by literally being in two places at once, but it also takes away from any of this revenge that was supposed to be the driving force of the game. For all of Ocelot and Kaz's pushing, Venom spares Huey, the kids, Quiet and all sorts of other bullshit because he hardly feels it at all despite his name.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=houDtgBNPCA

Gamingbrit was right for the most part.
>>
>>340618295
played GZ for around 70 hours so I had time to be wacky
>>
>>340618295
>Stun guards
>Put them next to each other
>Kick to wake up
>Hold up
>>
>>340613121
It's shit it's just like far cry but third person and an even more empty world
>>
>>340617407
except for all the times they called it 5. for example, multiple times in every single gameplay video.
because v means 5.
>>
File: metal gear series sales.png (17 KB, 964x317) Image search: [Google]
metal gear series sales.png
17 KB, 964x317
Is it safe to say no one gives a shit about Big Boss?

His games have sold like shit. Especially 3.
>>
>>340618371
Its actually worse. Far cry 2 had such an amazing alive world and far better stealth. You could fuckin tackle a mission with ten different ways of stealth. Mgsv tried to be far cry 2 and failed miserably. Fucking love far cry 2
>>
>can't play as Skullface
>no mod for it either
shit game
>>
>>340618629
What about subsistence/HD releases?
>>
>>340618641
I'll be honest, I thought you said Far Cry 3 and I was about to call you a huge faggot.

I still disagree, and you're still a faggot, but .. you know.. my B.
>>
>>340619007
Far cry 3 did everything wrong and was almost a polar opposite to 2. Actually mgsv reminds me a lot of far cry 3 yeah
>>
>>340618946
Are you really asking that?

They're not even on the chart. The fucking hd rerelease wouldn't come anywhere close to the original games. Did you check the pic?
>>
>>340619089
I recant my previous.

You are, in fact, a huge faggot.

Thank you all for coming to this press conference.

Good evening.
>>
>>340618629
this

BB is fucking boring, no personnality, no background except "muh boss". Solid and Liquid are way better than this fag.
>>
>>340619241
>muh genes, muh memes
>>
>>340619167
>Did you check the pic?

Yeah and that's why I was wondering how well MGS3 subsistence sold. I'm asking because
They're not even on the chart
>>
It's decent, but desperately needed more bases/facilities/interiors.
>>
>>340618641
>far cry 2
>far better stealth
you mean a game where if one guy spots you every one in a kilometer radius immediately knows where you are?
>>
>>340618343
>But it just doesn't feel like this is the missing part that bridges the gap between Peace Walker and MG1 other than to assume that Solid Snake is the bad guy all along and Venom/Big Boss are just demonized by the Patriots.
The game doesn't imply this at all.
>>
>>340617882
MGS4 has most of MGS3's problems and many unique ones.
>>
>>340613121
It's fucking boring and full of filler mission.
>>
File: 3295.jpg (56 KB, 450x337) Image search: [Google]
3295.jpg
56 KB, 450x337
Open-world was a mistake
>>
I rather have a short linear game fill with entertaining content than a long but empty open world game fills with filler garbage.
>>
>>340613121
No, not at all.
Quite a good game.
Everyone's just upset that Kojima cucked them with the switcheroo, though it fit perfectly thematically with the rest of the series.
>>
File: 1375577580700.jpg (19 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1375577580700.jpg
19 KB, 512x384
>>340621264
I bet it was Joostens idea.
>>
>>340613121
I enjoy the freedom of approaching encounters and the many options for equipment. You're only limited by your imagination.

Wish the enemy AI had better vision and handled getting tranq'd better (maybe go to cover and radio it in if the effect isn't immediate).
The AI is great once firefights begin. They'll radio in for outpost reinforcement and genuinely try to flank and box you in using converging fields of fire.
>>
>>340618641
Yeah, that's bullshit mate. Far Cry 2, and it's stealth, are abysmal.
>>
>>340619089
Definitely a massive faggot. GTFO.
>>
If you ripped out the Metal Geary skin, I would think it's another shitty Far Cry game.
>>
>>340613121
MGO3 was one of the worst online pieces of shit iv ever had the misfortune to play

MGSV was alright though
>>
>>340618629
>VG Chartz
WeW LaD
>>
>>340617476
>4 above 3
Fucking hell.
>>
>>340623234
Stop with the memes.
>>
>>340622268
It's Ubi-soft's fault, they gave one of their guys to Kojima
Wish I was joking
>>
>>340617882
MGS4 has like 4 hours of gameplay.
>>
>>340623234
If you shitposted on /v/, I'd think you were an insufferable faggot.
>>
>>340623368
I'm not memeing. MGSV is basically another Far Cry game but with even more grinding. It's a boring empty open world game in which you run through the same areas and fart on stupid guards. Capture this commander you know nothing about. Shit up this small base. Trail this guy that has no impact on the plot. Meanwhile, the gameplay is padded with grinding and travel times.
>>
It was very disappointing in pretty much every aspect.
MGS4 and SC Blacklist have much better gameplay and level design.
>>
>>340618629
>No data on Subsistence/Substance reissues
>Purposely leaves out numbers on multiplatform releases
>Fucking Vgchartz font
As per Konami, MGSV was at 6 million sales at the end of 2015. Not counting digital. It also had the biggest opening ever for a Metal Gear game.
>>
>>340623516
>collect diamonds
Seriously? TPP was so full of retarded ideas.
>>
File: 1454122771089.jpg (430 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
1454122771089.jpg
430 KB, 960x1280
>>340623386
Id rather take 4 hours of good gameplay than 6 hours of terrible shit
>>
Would've been damn cool if after Chapter 1, Diamond Dogs has a really hard time finding resources and there's a scripted mission that goes horribly wrong and concludes with Miller/Ocelot instructing Venom to have Kio Marv be kidnapped.
>>
Fun, but failed to meet expectations.
>>
>>340623516
There's no grinding when I played recently. You can unlock challenges which hand you A+ personell. I'm at the end of chapter one currently.
>>
>>340623823
Yeah Konami patched up the time needed to research stuff and getting quality soldiers is easy with the challenges as of now.
>>
File: 1462955978984.gif (3 MB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
1462955978984.gif
3 MB, 640x266
>>340623823
>he doesn't know about the gun grinding yet
>>
>>340613121
Gameplay was actually decent, story was lacking. Enjoyed it though but nothing too special.
>>
>>340623818

it could've been the best game of all time across all genres and still fail to meet expectations
>>
>>340624014
Oh a thing that's only needed for FOBs that's made from resourses from FOBs. Truly a significant part of singleplayer and sure it does affect the story. what a huge faggot you are
>>
>those 'boss' fights
>chapter 2

1/10 and I'm being generous.
>>
>>340623729
I have quite a feeling that you're shitposting. It's not appreciated. Why would you do such a thing? While some of the mechanics in MGS4 are improved from 3, they are different games with different themes. I agree that the camo index system was a bit annoying in 3 since you just pick the highest value one, but the game is pretty solid overall. MGS3 has a survival theme to it and brought the game to a jungle environment. That means more open spaces and slower paced gameplay. This appeals to me a bit more. For fans of this kind of stealth, they probably enjoyed it a lot, which can be seen when a lot of people say MGS3 is their favorite. It's a true advancement of the series.

I have no idea where the Splinter Cell comparison came from. I've played both series and they're two totally different things with different focuses. MG is not a stealth genre, it's Tactical Espionage Action. It always has been. Really, all your points are really garbage. You are either pretending to be retarded or actually are.

I can make silly arguments too you know. For example, MGS4 represents an extreme casualization of the series because I said so. The crouch walking trivializes all stealth aspects of the game and you are handed infinite ammo shortly into the first act after meeting Drebin. There is no ammo management and no need to look around at your environment. The threat circle prevents you from making mistakes unless you're a retard. With infinite ammo, the game is a total breeze no matter how you play it. The amount of actual gameplay for MGS4 is at an all time low, and that's not even a meme. A huge portion of Act 3 is barely a video game and the next part is a motorcycle segment with infinite ammo and a long ass cutscene. The only good part about the game was going back to Shadow Moses.
>>
File: sheldom.jpg (21 KB, 284x277) Image search: [Google]
sheldom.jpg
21 KB, 284x277
>>340624417
>I have no idea where the Splinter Cell comparison came from. I've played both series and they're two totally different things with different focuses. MG is not a stealth genre, it's Tactical Espionage Action.

So play ghost recon, the infinitely superior forest crawling game

MGS3 is simply a bad game even by the standards of its own franchise, not to fucking mention other franchises

it loses in stealth, action and storytelling to basically everything you compare it to

It tries to be a "jack of all trades", but instead does everything like shit- the only people who genuinely appreciate the game are retards who genuinely havent played anything better to start with ( aka idiots whose "opinions" are irrelevant)
>>
>>340624662
I have played Ghost Recon. They are two totally different games.

>it loses in stealth, action and storytelling to basically everything you compare it to
Why? How?

You ignored almost everything I typed and just said that MGS4 is dumb. I REALLY hope you're pretending to be retarded, because you are one of the biggest fucking retards I've ever seen on this site. Please God, please tell me you are trolling so I can believe there aren't people as dumb as you on this site. Give up the act and give me mercy.
>>
>>340624417
You really have a hard time comparing SC and MGS? Especially Blacklist?
I don't know, sounds like you're the retard here m8.
>>
File: 1447443596397.jpg (437 KB, 1508x1493) Image search: [Google]
1447443596397.jpg
437 KB, 1508x1493
>>340624803
>Why? How?

How doesnt it you fucking brainless shit?

The stealth elements of MGS3 even lose to the other MG games, let alone thief, hitman, splinter cell, even shitty indie games like Styx have better stealth

the TPS mechanics are laughably shallow in every other title than GZ/tpp/ MGS4, and even there the only noteworthy thing is the CQC system, which still doesnt make it better than actually good TPS games like max payne, vanquish or even your average GoW game

If you actually need to be explained why the story/ cinematic aspect of MGS is embarrassingly bad, youre probably an adolescent fuck mentally or physically and hence not even worth "arguing" with

metal gear solid has to "invent" its own genre to shield itself from complaints and comparisons, "m-muh espionage"
>>
>>340625087
Even the CQC was fucked up in GZ/TPP.
>>
>>340625039
I've seen you around before. In a lot of MGSV threads, especially around this time, you repeatedly try to derail the thread with Blacklist talk. Go shit up another thread with your dumb opinions.

>The stealth elements of MGS3 even lose to the other MG games, let alone thief, hitman, splinter cell, even shitty indie games like Styx have better stealth

Why? How? If you want to have an argument, you can't just say things are better because you said so. Here's a counterargument: No they're not better. See? I can do it too.

>the TPS mechanics are laughably shallow in every other title than GZ/tpp/ MGS4, and even there the only noteworthy thing is the CQC system, which still doesnt make it better than actually good TPS games like max payne, vanquish or even your average GoW game

Why? How? They're not better because I said so. There's an appropriate counter-argument that you deserve.

>If you actually need to be explained why the story/ cinematic aspect of MGS is embarrassingly bad, youre probably an adolescent fuck mentally or physically and hence not even worth "arguing" with
Why? How? They're actually good because I said so.

>metal gear solid has to "invent" its own genre to shield itself from complaints and comparisons, "m-muh espionage"

I'm sure that's exactly what they had in mind when creating the Metal Gear series.

So again, you ignored everything I said in my post from before, especially the MGS4 criticism, and added nothing to the conversation by saying entirely different games with different focuses and game design are better because you said so and that means a game is dog shit. To save the last bit of faith in humanity I have left, I'm going to assume you're just pretending to be retarded and move on with my day. There is no way anyone can be as retarded as you and still be able to breathe. 10/10 bait.
>>
>>340625087
Meant to also quote: >>340625087

Anyways, end your lives and all that.
>>
Never even bothered finishing it, it was just so damn repetitive, the story is horrid and slow as hell, and the open world consists of two maps with nothing in them.
>>
>>340625462
Considering how much GZ and TPP tried to copy Blacklist it's completely justified comparing them.
>>
>>340618629
Nice falseflag, Solidcuck.
>>
>>340618236
>not using spirit camo for stealth
>>
File: you.png (60 KB, 302x516) Image search: [Google]
you.png
60 KB, 302x516
>>340625380
retard alert

The CQC is exactly the same except the controls are better, the ONLY move that isnt in is the ground submission, which is useless because unlike MGS4, you can just slam an enemy into the ground for a knockout

>>340625462
Are you retarded? Im not the one who mentioned blacklist

>Why? How? If you want to have an argument, you can't just say things are better because you said so.

Probably because they are designed around being stealth games, and even then hitman/ splinter cell manage to have better TPS mechanics than MGS3

the guard AI in MGS is usually terrible, and the games are fundamentally weak when you compare them to real stealth games

In MGS1/2 the stealth was "line of sight", you can literally sprint behind an enemy as long as it doesnt see you

In MGS3 it tried to borrow from actual stealth games, so now you crawl around either fully invisible, or you again suddenly get spotted because a guard turns 180 as their patrol route flips back

>Why? How? They're actually good because I said so.

Because terrible writing, "that kid" tier plot twists and anime doesnt make it good just because youre actually retarded enough to eat it up

>I'm sure that's exactly what they had in mind when creating the Metal Gear series.

but thats the defense every MGS fan uses

>So again, you ignored everything I said in my post from before, especially the MGS4 criticism

you havent had any real criticism of MGS4- youre the type of retard who think adding a crouchwalk somehow made the game easier when the game is obviously balanced around a change like that

"infinite ammo" means nothing in a game like MGS, you can shoot your whole way through MGS3 because in that game youre nigh invincible and can tank hundreds of bullets

MGS3 had equally many laughably bad parts such as its own motorcycle chase, the entire dark cave part, the river part after the caves, every interior is about a room or two long, outdoors segments still feel like grassy hallways
>>
>>340625462
>because i said so
>because i said so
>because i said so

You probably think your'e being smart but you're just proving his point.
>>
>>340626262
What point would that be? You can't argue against someone who says that other games are better and provide no reasoning while ignoring everything you type. I love the stealth genre. Thief, Chaos Theory, Deus Ex, and by extension the MGS series even if they aren't completely stealth games. I also love tactical shooters like Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six 3. I even like the mediocre Blacklist.
>>
>>340613121
I never thought it was bad in the first. Just slightly different than what I was expecting.
>>
>>340614885
This.
I'm having a lot of fun with this game.
>>
it was ok. i'd give my left arm to play all the unfinished and cut content though. i read there were at least 5 chapters and more areas than just afghanistan and africa.
>>
Good gameplay, but i hated all the tacked on MotherBase micromanagement side of things. I feel like it contributed to the lack of focus the story had
>>
File: miller.jpg (45 KB, 500x475) Image search: [Google]
miller.jpg
45 KB, 500x475
>>340626778
"I believe everything anon says."
Enjoy your 1-3 missions.
>>
>all missions are the same
>no interior
>take 30 mins to reach anything
Dropped it after Pakistan.
>>
>>340628114
But Croatia levels that you missed were nice.
>>
>>340618641
Far Cry plays like shit
>>
>>340626163
I dunno I thought the story in snake eater was pretty goat
>>
File: 1446063675466.jpg (116 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1446063675466.jpg
116 KB, 500x500
>>340613121
core gameplay is fantastic. story becomes way too disjointed when most of it is presented through the tapes. Say what you want about Kojima, but the dude can make some good ass cutscenes. The lack of them become glaring, I didn't realize how much of an impact they do until I went back and played MGS3.

Open world was a mistake. MGS just works great as a linear game. peoplemay lament it for being too much like a movie, but it is in my opinion one of it's biggest strengths.
>>
File: 1462902824902.gif (3 MB, 400x372) Image search: [Google]
1462902824902.gif
3 MB, 400x372
>>340629221
Tell me why the boss betrays america but supposedly is a true patriot anyways

What was the masterplan behind giving an insane russian nukes

tell me how the betrayal twist felt meaningful because of its buildup and how the boss' "sacrifice" had any significance as an "unsung hero" when every character from MGS3 onwards wont stop talking about the boss
>>
>>340626163
>you can literally sprint behind an enemy as long as it doesnt see you
There's nothing wrong with this. The games are designed in such a way that this premise remains compelling. MGS2 on hard and above is extremely fun. So is Ghost Babel.
>or you again suddenly get spotted because a guard turns 180 as their patrol route flips back
Guards are so poorly coordinated and slow-moving in MGS3 I've never had this problem. I like MGS3, but the game more or less consists of crawling around with impunity getting headshots.

But this is also true of MGS4. MGS4 gives the player more options, but I wouldn't conflate that with improvement or even general quality. MGS4 is even more poorly balanced than MGS3 along with two acts that are dead weight and another that's barely anything at all. Even the first two acts suffer from being casualties of Set-Piece Syndrome.
>>
File: disgu.gif (858 KB, 240x228) Image search: [Google]
disgu.gif
858 KB, 240x228
>>340613121
offscourings
>>
>>340630063
Did you not finish the game? The Boss's motivations are outright given to the audience in a voice-over completely devoid of subtlety. She took the fall in order to avoid a global meltdown. She didn't betray America at all. She was undercover but shit got real.

I never really liked The Boss as a character, but given her own speech to Naked Snake and EVA's message her motivations and goals aren't at all ambiguous.
>>
>>340630063
>the boss betrays america
Do you even plot?
>What was the masterplan behind giving an insane russian nukes
This plan is so stupid that it worked.
Russian: "Well if she actually is a spy then why would they give us the nukes, that's crazy! Cyka!'
>sacrifice
The world doesn't know, character of MGS are not the whole world, it's like 10 people.
>>
File: 1425923133720.jpg (164 KB, 1417x551) Image search: [Google]
1425923133720.jpg
164 KB, 1417x551
>>340630419
>>340630528
No, thats not an explanation retard

i said explain why she "defects", gives nukes to a russian, and then suddenly is supposed to be the hero afterall

Big boss killed the cobras and volgin, rescued sokolov etc
>>
>>340630643
>i said explain why she "defects", gives nukes to a russian, and then suddenly is supposed to be the hero afterall
She initially was undercover in a mission to retrieve the Philosophers' Legacy. But shit hit the fan. The U.S. was able to retrieve it anyway via Ocelot.
>>
File: 1459382067187.png (398 KB, 792x540) Image search: [Google]
1459382067187.png
398 KB, 792x540
I'm considering buying it, give me the rundown: what's it actually about?
>>
>>340631528
Doing the same missions over and over again in an open world that isn't designed in any way.
>>
>>340613121
I think this game is fantastic
Yes the story is the second weakest in the eries but still , i put like 180 hours into it
>>
>>340631528
Sand, burgers, and balloons.
>>
>>340613121
>So now that the dust has settled, was it really all that bad?+ 0 post omitted.
yes
>>
File: 1464088341685.jpg (39 KB, 614x613) Image search: [Google]
1464088341685.jpg
39 KB, 614x613
>go to Africa
>all new recruits are blacks and better than USSR soldiers
>>
>>340613121
It was fun, but not a worthy send off for the end of a franchise as big as MGS

MGS 3 > MGS > MGS 2 > MGR = MGS 4 > PW > GZ >>>>> TPP
>>
It's good.

The best way I can describe it is it's the leaked alpha of the best game ever made.
>>
>>340633417
>>340633417
>>340633417

>>but not a worthy send off for the end of a franchise as big as MGS

This 10000000 times.

If this was just another MGS game (or any game in any series really) you could just go "Meh not a big deal... it was fun HOPEFULLY the next one will be better".... BUTN O

This is THE LAST ONE in the series... so it will always be a dark spot....

I am super mad.... that guy thats mad about Mass Effect 3 ending? Thats me with this game.
>>
>>340633652
You don't even know what alpha is lel.
>>
>>340633848
Mass effect 3 was the end of a trilogy that spanned over the course of five years, plus they confirmed ME: andromeda at last year's E3

MGS V was the end of a series that was nearly thirty years old and had over ten installments
>>
>>340633417
>MGS4 is higher than GZ and TPP
>MGS4 is as good as MGR
Wow. Just....wow.
>>
File: 1459734136884.jpg (86 KB, 456x386) Image search: [Google]
1459734136884.jpg
86 KB, 456x386
>>340634181
Shut the fuck up nerd
>>
Great fun as I was playing it, but in hindsight it was a colossal disappointment that delivered only on it's promised gimmicks.
Carries the least replay value in the series by miles, and not just because of the lacking story.
>>
>>340634518
>>340634518

Do you understand what he was talking about with the guy being mad about the ME3 ending? It wasn't that the series was over it was how the ending was. The guy made a post about HOW angry he was...

I think he was saying THAT'S how angry he was x10 or some shit.
>>
>>340613121

im still upset about the fake guns
>>
Uncharted 4 felt more MGS than TPP.
Open world was the biggest mistake.
>>
>>340613121
what dust?
>>
>>340635523
The second one.
>>
>>340635164
>wasting money on getting licenses
Na. It was a good call.
>>
File: 1465499708687.jpg (765 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
1465499708687.jpg
765 KB, 5000x5000
>farming money and resources
>Go naked and use level 1 weapons or pay 5000 for every deployment.
>>
>>340636802
>complete a mission, get hundreds of thousands GMP
>can deploy 50 times with your best shit
I don't even get why people are complaining about motherbase management, because there is barely any, everything is done automatically.
>>
I still don't understand why your money is split in 2
>>
>>340636480

no it wasn't, and you don't have to license guns unless you want the specific company name and model, you can simply make a copy and give it a made up name
>>
File: 1439579358980088223.gif (968 KB, 499x374) Image search: [Google]
1439579358980088223.gif
968 KB, 499x374
>>340617476
This ranking is so fucking on point.
>>
>>340617476
>MGS1=MGS2
Yeah, no. The meta-narrative is about the only thing MGS2 really has going for it compared to the others. It has neat mechanics but not a clue how to implement them to their full potential. The level design gets progressively duller and more linear the further you play through it. And the vast majority of the bosses are forgettable shite.

Also where the fuck is Rising?
Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.