[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is /v/ the only place on the internet that hates nuNaughty Dog?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 15
File: greatness.jpg (58 KB, 1024x577) Image search: [Google]
greatness.jpg
58 KB, 1024x577
>>
A good number of /v/ players have been playing games for nearly twenty years, some even more. I find Drake entertaining to listen to and Sully's a bro, but honestly they aren't much as far as games go. It's near impossible to fail at climbing, the puzzles aren't that hard either and the characters following you around usually mention where to go if you don't instantly find it out yourself. When you look at it closely it's not as much of a game as it's advertised to be.
>>
>>340562217
No one here hates it, it's just it's objectively not a 10/10 game and sonyggers are easy targets.
>>
I don't hate Naughty Dog, the devs are some cool people. I enjoyed that video about people with disabilities and the little, optional things they added in to allow them to play it. Cool shit.

That being said, Uncharted 4 was just boring. I loved replaying Uncharted 2 and 3 with goofy extra shit on, but 4 didn't have a single level I wanted to replay. By chapter 16 I didn't even want to continue.
>>
>>340562648
But I don't understand how they can't be considered games when you're doing everything you could want to do in a game and it emphasizes utilization of all the mechanics. With 4, they even give you the choice in pretty much every encounter. Do you want to ignore the enemies and try to use the environment and play reverse-pacman to mitigate the ludonarrative dissonance or do you want to go ablaze, use the melee, use the neck-snapping, use the takedowns, use the grenades, use the contextual items, use the guns, etc.
>>
>>340562915
Well why didn't you want to replay?

Did you 100 percent completion on your first playthrough?

Did you platinum on your first playthrough?

Did you unlock zero gravity?
>>
>>340562783
What does a game have to do to be 10/10?

Have complicated controls? Be 50 hours? Be an rpg?
>>
>>340562783
Zaxxon, to me, is a perfect game.

What makes a perfect game?
>>
>>340563060
I can't stand shooting in the Uncharted games. An entire army of thugs in one room all shooting at you at the same time with automatic weapons where each bullet throws off your aim just pisses me off.

>>340563335
Be a game, for starters.
>>
>>340563994
What doesn't make it a game?

This is the age old question that I've been trying to figure out for years. I will never understand.

What makes Zaxxon or Burger Time more of a game than Uncharted?

Uncharted has multiplayer.
>>
>>340563994
You do realize you've just criticized the gameplay of said game, right?
>>
>>340564336
Yes? I don't find them all that enjoyable.
>>
>>340564442
You're deflecting.

You implied they're not games. Why aren't they?
>>
I'm neutral on them and really don't have an opinion because I have not played one of their games since crash team racing.

Seeing all of the sonygger posts about "muh graphics" and whatever else I would assume there's a good deal of people on /v/ that like them.
>>
I don't.

I actually really like Uncharted, but 4 sucked most of the fun out of the series.

Fuck Kikemann and his fuck buddy Straley. Fucking retards.
>>
because /v/ is full of autistic children and naughty dog games are for well adjusted adults.
>>
>/v/ is one person

But I like Naughty Dog games.
>>
>>340562217
>have all the money in the world and the best 1st party support for 4 years
>make a worse game than some polacks did in 6 months

quality devs
>>
File: meme.png (254 KB, 1332x661) Image search: [Google]
meme.png
254 KB, 1332x661
>>340564912
>>
>why does a site full of PCucks and Nintendorks hate Naughty GODS

Gee whiz I wonder why?
>>
>>340563335
How about you try toessen your fanboyism a little bit?

The gunplay in uncharted inst even above average. How could it possibly be a 10 out of 10 if it could be better?
>>
>>340565154
>nintendorks
Are we back in the 90s?

Should be ninteniggers
Shit even just nintendofags is better
>>
>>340563060
If you stealth sections that the developers want you to fight in then they allow enemies to spot you through cover and buildings anyway.

If you run past past or climb out of the arena your character will just instantly die.

If the developers want you to succeed an on rails action sequence then your character will soak up bullets and damage that'll ordinarily kill you.

tl; dr its all alot more shallow than it appears
>>
>>340565382
I don't know how to describe Uncharted's gunplay other than say it feels the best to me. And I've played a vast majority of tps's out there.

And 4 even improves on it and takes from the Last of Us by having more wiggle and looseness but not being to shaky and inexperienced. Idk man, everything just feels right and perfect in Uncharted 4. Meaty and weighty but with a perfect balance of accuracy and looseness.
>>
>>340565154
nice falseflag nintenyearold
now buy some amiiboos
>>
>>340565827
>If you run past past or climb out of the arena your character will just instantly die.
That has never happened to me. Are you talking about jumping off cliffs and into bottomless pits? You're being dumb and not supposed to jump there. This isn't an open world game, johnny.
>>
>>340565827
>If you stealth sections that the developers want you to fight in then they allow enemies to spot you through cover and buildings anyway.
Point this out because I've never discovered this. You can stealth the majority of the game and you're supposed to use the platforming in the environment to do so. You can even stealth in the section where Elena and Drake have to steal the jeep.

Yes, there are certain segments you do have to DEFEND yourself in, but that is just that. You're defending yourself and not killing in cold blood.
>>
>>340562217
I don't hate them. Only thing I haven't liked from them was Left Behind since it was boring to play through. Haven't played Uncharted 4 yet but I'll probably like it if it's like the others.
>>
I just wish they would go back to making more gameplay focused games. I honestly would have enjoyed Uncharted more as a movie or tv series, the endless climbing ruins it for me completely.
>>
>>340566884
But climbing is gameplay. People loved it in Assassin's Creed 2 with the temples. Why not in Uncharted? There is room for error. You can die up there. And you're also looking for bonus treasures while you're traversing. I don't think you guys are playing it right or understand the fun of it. People have different perceptions of fun. To me, Bayonetta isn't fun. I'd much rather play Super Monaco GP.
>>
>>340567460
Maybe I didn't word it right. The climbing is gameplay, I just find it monotonous.
>>
>>340562217
Because their new games are just lackluster.

Who the fuck likes the idea of a tomb raider game with no bosses and it being on rails?
>>
>>340563335
>What does a game have to do to be 10/10?

I don't know exactly but I know what it shouldn't do. It shouldn't have boring "platforming" segments that exist purely to show of the environments, it shouldn't be a generic cover based shooter, and it shouldn't have wait-a-minute-that-card-tier puzzles shoehorned in to try to make you forget you're playing a brainless shooter.
>>
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SPG_1wbSILI
>>
>>340562217
Because /v/ seems to be the only place on the internet who can see how ND is nothing but movie shit with occasional pres X for more movies to happen.
>>
>>340567460
The climbing is insanely boring and mindnumbingly easy. Infamous did this shit better.
>>
>>340567569
Because they are so long. Previous games were far better paced and the climbing sections were just short breathers from the action. Gameplay wise it's probably the best in the series, but everything else is just kinda frustrating and makes it (for me at least) the worst in the series.
>>
>>340562217
>nuNaughty Dog

You mean just Naughty Dog?
>>
File: 1434463914033.jpg (349 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1434463914033.jpg
349 KB, 1920x1080
>>340567569
Alright, then if people start wordingit like that, I can understand.

People here hated The Witness and said it wasn't a game. But I thought it was the best game of this year up with Uncharted 4. Maybe if people stop saying what they don't like isn't a game, there wouldn't be so much contention. People enjoy different things in games. And those cooldown parts of 4 in Scotland and Madagascar were fun to me. I liked the exploration, the puzzles, and finding the hidden treasures while talking to Sam and Sully.

I commend Naughty Dog for really adding those parts in and emphasiziing them because not only is this more adventure-focused than any Uncharted before, it's also a subversion of sequel expectations and really an artful sendoff. Normally, you would expect bigger and bolder action than in Uncharted 3, but no, Naughty Dog expanded and added more depth to the series by making this a return from an older Drake. I haven't played the Uncharted's in years since 3 came out, and coming back, I felt it.

I felt like an old man going through the motions in order to save my brother, and getting sparing sprinkles of action throughout early on because Drake didn't want to be drawn back i. You notice that sigh of relief after the first big setpiece with the market chase Drake gives? It's because that was the first time in a while we got that. It meant something, it was exciting. And we almost wanted more, but when we met wit Elena, we knew we fucked up. Things took a more sour note and there was tension buried on. We began to doubt whether we should continue on, but we HAD to in order to save Sam.
>>
>>340562217
/v/ doesnt ban negative opinions.
>>
>>340568891
No, /v/ just appears to be an extreme vocal minority. Everywhere you look on the internet and even from just random people, they love Uncharted. People bought a ps4 for Uncharted and Horizon Zero Dawn.
>>
>>340562217
I still like Naughty Dog but I don't have a PS4. TLOU is good and you're all faggots!
>>
>>340567963
Press x press x press x

What do you mean by this?

Elaborate. Do you mean simplicity of control is what makes it noninteractive? Because Pac-man is simple but eternally fun and increasingly complex with plenty of room for strategy. Uncharted has that. How far have you made it in 4? Did you reach Libertalia? Did you beat it?

Even then, not even just 4. What about the others? That entire boat scene in 3? You have to play through al of that and deal with the waves, use your environment, swim, hide, shoot, everything. How is that generic? There's no other game I can think of that combines platforming, stealth, melee, shooting, and etc. so well like Uncharted if at all?
>>
>>340569184
And? Are people not allowed to have different likes and dislikes? I personally LOVE EvE online but most people cant stand thr idea of having gankers destroy all their shit. If I dont like 3rd person shambling and cover shooter games or said cover shooting is not to my preferce compared to say Gears or whatever where does that leave me and others eith simillar opinions?
>>
>>340562217
Uncharted 1's waves and waves of enemies broke all suspension of disbelief/weren't fun to deal with. Jet ski sequences tanked.

Uncharted 2 was pretty fun, but there wasn't really much depth to it. Cinematic and explosive, and I won't say "hurr durr it plays itself" because that argument really doesn't apply to the Uncharted series, but it is what it is -- a shallow arena shooter. Yeah these games are supposed to deliver the pulpy, classic feel of Indiana Jones, but video games haven't come far enough as a medium (or maybe the writers are just shitty Hollywood rejects) to deliver that experience.

Uncharted 3 was just the same game as 2, only shinier and with a far more convoluted story, in which all characterization was tossed out the window for the sake of making Nate seem edgy and reckless. It was cool how stealth had a bit more of a focus, but the moment you were seen you couldn't slip back into stealth (unlike, say, Last of Us) which really broke the experience for me and ruined the whole point of stealth.

Haven't played 4.
>>
File: Thirdthe13-1.png (205 KB, 427x403) Image search: [Google]
Thirdthe13-1.png
205 KB, 427x403
>>340562217
I liked it.
>>
>>340567910
Every time I watch this, I just cringe throughout and feel like killing him when he says "durrr y'know people like to compare uncharted to gears and tomb raider, but those are games, this is more like simon." Regenerative health makes it not a game somehow even though those games have it and he completely bypasses it.
>>
>>340569869
>ut the moment you were seen you couldn't slip back into stealth

You can do this in Uncharted 4 at least.
>>
>>340562217
Cuck devs
>>
Cause most mouthbreathers just like whatever is hyped by MSM outlets and the publishers. Tbey don't actually like vidya they just like whatever they are told to like and is cool. They never knew jak and daxter or Crash so they can't compare it to vidya. And all they care about is "graphix" though funilly enough they are all too retarded too know about pcgaming so will just look at shit outdated console graphics and sperg about them.
These are the same people whose first fallout was 4
Their first mgs was V
And they loved both cause their 9gag meme dealer but them on goodguy.jpeg posts.
>>
>>340570370
He's a retard who contradicts himself several times in that video. Don't take it too seriously.
>>
>>340569812
The platforming, stealth and melee sucks balls in Uncharted
>>
>>340570515
To add ti this it's easy.
Having to repeat because you reached a failstate is frustrating, they just want a cinematic experiance.
>>
>>340569812
>There's no other game I can think of that combines platforming, stealth, melee, shooting, and etc. so well like Uncharted if at all?

Deus Ex.
>>
>>340569869
What makes the writing in Indiana Jones better than Uncharted?

I want to hear your points first before I rebuttal.
>>
>>340570460
Makes sense considering the progress they made with Last of Us, just seemed a bit ridiculous considering how hyped and "technologically advanced" 3 was that enemies would know exactly where you were on the map no matter where you went after you were spotted
>>
>>340569869

you are one sad motherfucker typing all that shit. when did you become this sad cynical piece of shit that hates fun?
>>
>>340563060
>But I don't understand how they can't be considered games
They are games, they're just poor games because they don't do much of anything that takes advantage of the medium and instead try to be interactive movies.

You don't have to think critically, your reflexes aren't being challenged in any real way, it's just a much more passive experience than, say, playing something like Super Mario Bros. or Tetris. The people that find these games appealing aren't looking for that "real" game experience that requires they actually apply some critical thinking or figure something out on their own, they want to be passively entertained, like they're watching a film, but still feel engaged.
>>
>>340570691
They're different games.

But they're both critically acclaimed and hailed as the best games of all time, so I don't know why /v/ feels offended when critics and users respond universally positive to Uncharted. They're both top-tier games. Why does one have to be shit and the other goat? They're not even the same game. Deus Ex is a damn rpg.
>>
>>340569812
Pac-man requires precise timing and fast thinking to make sure you don't get cornered. You have to approach levels methodically.

Platforming in Uncharted is just pressing X and watching the pretty animations. Shooting in Uncharted is just sitting behind a wall.
>>
>>340562217
>only place that hates nuNaughty Dog
absolute false
a lot of people hate that cinematic dogs.
Hate Tlou and Blocktarted games and i think are subpar cinematic experiences.
>>
because for the most part you can voice differing opinions without becoming literally hitler, theres good AND bad in everything but we're the only people who will talk about both
>>
>>340563060
>>340566453
>>340564242
in you are in the car and dont go in the one direction you are supposed to continue the cinematic experience the immersion breaks down.

its all just a theme park ride to the bottom nothing more.

these kind of games are generally better off being watched then actually being played
>>
File: drakeface.jpg (40 KB, 552x558) Image search: [Google]
drakeface.jpg
40 KB, 552x558
>summerfags

Can you faggots shill this casual shit series somewhere else? God damnit
>>
>>340571030
Uncharted just doesn't have much substance as a game and what is there has been done many times before, and better. It looks nice, it's easy to play and it's not very challenging, that's why so many people like it. It appeals to as broad an audience as possible and is streamlined (dumbed-down) enough for just about anyone to pick up and play it.

I don't enjoy the games because they're so utterly boring and devoid of any real challenge or risk. It just felt like a setpiece tour and I was there simply to observe the pretty explosions and graffix.
>>
>>340570967
This is just blatantly wrong though.

You can die in them and they are challenging.

The stuff you can d in Uncharted is stuff we've wanted to do in games for years. Is it that it has realistic visuals and action that's akin to a Hollywood action movie that turns nerds off?

Uncharted takes skill and effort on Crushing. What's the difference between it and Halo? What makes Halo more competently made than Uncharted. They are both top-tier echelon shooters.
>>
>>340571030
Because the way Deus Ex implemented those things was way more interesting? You have way more options to deal with any situation in Deus Ex than you do in Uncharted.
>>
>>340571030
Is english not your first language or something? I assume you mean different genres, not games. The only relevant point is that Deus Ex combines those elements better than Uncharted. Yes, it's an RPG, but that just means that's one more genre Deus Ex tackled and doesn't detract from it's other accomplishes at all.
>>
>>340571238
Yes and you have to go forward in Gears and Halo.

They're both linear. What's the difference?
>>
>>340565829
>I don't know how to describe Uncharted's gunplay other than say it feels the best to me.
>can't even describe what he likes
When you have an opinion you can talk.
>>
>>340571532
You have a lot of options in Uncharted, but you're not Solid Snake. You can't carry a bunch of spygear. You're grabbing whatever you come across and using your hands.
>>
>>340571735
I've played Gears and I've played Uncharted. Uncharted feels better.

You describe how Gears feels better than Uncharted and makes it somehow a better game.
>>
I fucking love games that say "Play how you want."
Then only give you the bare minimum of options to complete a mission. BUT BUT YOU CAN STEALTH OR SHOOT OR CLIMB, MAYBE EVEN ALL THREE AND IF YOU'RE GOOD ENOUGH PRESS TRIANGLE FOR A TAKEDOWN.
Lol. Far Cry 2 has more choices.
>>
>>340571603
I haven't played Gears but the shooting and challenge in Halo is way more satisfying than in Uncharted. The AI at higher difficulties is relatively smart and demands a greater degree of strategy than Uncharted does.
>>
>>340571238
>in you are in the car and dont go in the one direction you are supposed to continue the cinematic experience the immersion breaks down.
This is why games aren't great for telling stories. The very concept and implementation of player agency and freedom works against what makes a strong, structured narrative the author has full control over.

You allow players freedom, they can break sequence, see/do things out of order or skip them entirely, the narrative isn't nearly as strong because it's no longer structured. It would be similar to reading a book and skipping a couple chapters or reading them out of order. It just doesn't work.

Take that away from the player in order to have a more structured, linear narrative and stronger story-telling and you're losing out on what makes games unique and engaging in the first place, player agency and freedom.
>>
>>340571928
>You describe how Gears feels better than Uncharted
You are implying I enjoy gears of war.
You are implying the only TPS games I know of are Uncharted and Gears of War.
Go play Vanquish like a real man.
>>
>>340571118
You've obviously never played the games.
>>
>the amount of fanboyism in this thread
Holy shit, what happened?
>>
>>340571928
>>340571603
>>340571415
>gears of war and halo are you're fucking counter examples

Those games are shit too.
>>
>>340572031
>QTE'S

no thank you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IbYYrZ91h4
>>
>>340571413
>not very challenging
Then you shouldn't play on easy.
>>
>>340572098
I played the first 2. Maybe 3 and 4 are better but I highly doubt it.
>>
>>340572160
>Gears and Halo are shit

Because?

Is it a matter of the games being Western-made now or are liked by a lot of people?
>>
>>340572274
The difference between easy and crushing is just how much time you spend behind a wall.
>>
>>340567910
This is amazing subbed
>>340570370
>health regen makes it not a game
Its like you didn't watch the video...
Mind you you probably just are subconsciously strawmaning him as you went into the video biased.
>>
>>340571415
That is exactly the kind of experience most people look for in these games.

Halo has a lot more going for it in terms of its mechanics and actual gameplay. The missions aren't 100% linear setpiece tours full of scripted events that trigger automatically, there are no idiot-proof QTE climbing segments and the like and the player has a lot more freedom in how they approach each encounter and some amount of freedom in how they progress through each mission. The AI, especially in the older games, was great and is still better than what you see in more modern games, including Uncharted.

Halo is structured like a game first and foremost and I'd argue Uncharted is not. It was designed as a narrative first, game second.
>>
>>340572278
I'd like to see you "just sit behind a wall" in 2.
>>
>>340571971
>halo 2 on legendary
>those fucking sniper jackals
>>
>>340572215
Uncharted doesn't have QTE's right?
Uncharted doesn't have single button take downs right?
Oh vanquish is too fast paced for you? Requires aim and skill? Oh too bad you focused on one very small part of the game. GG shitter.
>>
>>340571030
>uncharted on the same level as deus ex
Kill yourself.
Whats next, Avengers on the same level as the godfather or pulp fiction?
>>
>>340572278
I know someone's gonna reply to you shitting on 1, but honestly, I don't see the problem with it really at all.

Yes, the placement of ruins for chest-high walls and how gameplay is essentially divided into platforming then shooting then some puzzles is more out there and not as combined, but all those segments are competently made and it was made in 2007. 1 is still great. Dialogue's great, plot gets a little janky with some off-putting conveniences here and there, but the voice acting is still phenomenal, the shooting handles great and is really snappy, and the platforming was damn great for 07.
>>
>>340570710
All "good" movies succeed because the plot comes from the character. The character drives the plot. Indiana Jones' character drove the plot,

All of Nate's decisions in Uncharted 3 weren't in his character. The developers marketed the game as Nate "going too far," being so driven to solve a treasure hunt that he lost his friends along the way, but it practice it felt more like the plot was forcing him to do things, not that he was doing things and a plot was unfolding because of it. (The entire ship sequence, for instance, had literally no relevance to the plot -- it was a massive set piece that happened because, 'Oops! Wrong boat!' That'd be cut out of a script because it doesn't advance the story. Likewise, it had fun gameplay moments, but didn't add to Nate's character or the tension of the game.)

Uncharted 1 and 2 had coherent enough stories, but failed in the regard of character because Nate was mercilessly slaughtering whole armies of people yet playing the moral high ground over his enemies. In any other game, this would be fine. But because Uncharted purports to be cinematic and have depth, there's a clash between playing the game and mowing down foes relentlessly without Nate exhibiting a single shred of remorse and then the cut-scenes of Nate being a jolly good guy.
>>
File: 1437571463498.jpg (880 KB, 1280x1440) Image search: [Google]
1437571463498.jpg
880 KB, 1280x1440
because moviegames are pretty boring

these two videos sum up modern naughty dog very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnlDwEZkidI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPG_1wbSILI
>>
>>340572418
but cover is destructible
>>
>>340572839
>the platforming was damn great for 07

No it wasn't. The platforming isn't even on the level of the original Super Mario Bros.
>>
>>340572931
delete this
>>
>>340571030
I've said it plenty of times, Uncharted is just a glorified Ass Creed's game, it's barely above average
>>
>>340570758
There were moments of playing that were fun. It all got repetitive though, and Naughty Dog doesn't help because they're a bit pretentious, combining the movie medium with the video game by compromising both and acting like they're cinematic geniuses. They're literally all writers who weren't good enough to make movies so they got shafted to the video game industry.

Compare this to, say, Deus Ex: Human Revolution which has a comically bad story, but doesn't let that encroach on the gameplay, gameplay which is varied enough to be fun on its own to begin with.

Ideally I just want a game that doesn't try to use cinema's tropes and embraces the medium for what it is -- a fucking game.
>>
Because /v/ is filled with traditionalists that prefer pure-gameplay games and not 'cinematic masterpieces' that are all the rage these days.

>PRESS A BUTTON, SOMETHING AWESOME HAPPENS!
>>
>>340562217
/v/ in generally is a pretty stupid place and only one in a blue moon a good forum for discussion, but if there is one thing /v/ cares about more than most other major forums, if we're still using that term, is good gameplay.

Naughty Dog makes video games in the loosest definition of the term. That isn't to say they are necessarily bad, there's clearly a lot of talent behind them, but they sure contain a whole lot more video and less game.

/v/ in general I think is suffering a huge collective burnout from the huge push of narrative driven games that started around the midpoint of last gen. Gameplay is a such a colorful medium of communication that speaks to people in a way other vehicles like literature and film cannot, and Naughty Dog is the poster child of developers who have increasingly ignored gameplay in favor of latching onto the coattails of hollywood. It's hard to argue with as it's proven more than successful for them, but at the end of the day it's begun producing experiences that many people, including myself, are starting to find incredibly hollow.

Naughty Dog doesn't make great games, but they make really good movies. For 90% of the internet that's just fine. They don't care what they're doing as long as its entertaining and are more than happy to buy what Naughty Dog is selling. /v/ though, I think, has moved on.
>>
>>340572469
>there are no idiot-proof QTE climbing segments
Neither are there any in UC. You know you can jump to your death and shit, right? It's not like the game does everything for you.

>has a lot more freedom in how they approach each encounter and some amount of freedom in how they progress through each mission
Like what? You still shoot your way through levels and trigger events. Areas are more open and the AI is top tier, but it's not like you have a multitude of options in dealing with the situation.
>>
>>340572215
Oh fuck no response shitter? I'm watching the new Uncharted rn, lots of QTE's for dumb shit. Lol. Being a retard is hard work.
>>
>>https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XzkCmidjeHc
>>
>>340573587
>Neither are there any in UC. You know you can jump to your death and shit, right? It's not like the game does everything for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=251&v=xnlDwEZkidI

I'm watching it, it does. Why lie?
>>
>>340573384
But how is this not good gameplay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7J8sJI98bo

Look at the complexity of level design. It doesn't look like a game level. It looks like a fallen city with so many areas to utilize to your advantage and avoid getting caught.
>>
>>340572416
Well for Gears of War: the cover mechanics and regenerating health trivialized level design as there's no need to move around, sprint and take cover are the same button which makes precise movement or moving around corners clunky, and the multiplayer was all kinds of busted.
>>
>>340573735
An edited video that takes out all the gameplay

here's vanquish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IbYYrZ91h4

guess the game's shit
>>
>>340573735
Try playing it.

>PreRec
Jesus Christ... Why am I even replying.
>>
>>340572215
Bayonetta and RE4 had qtes and enjoyed those games more than gayfarted 2. You want a game with no qte? Try bubsy 3d, that might suit your casual shit tastes need you scum.
>>
>>340573935
>An edited video that takes out all the gameplay

>guess the game's shit

Holy shit what a retard.
>>
>>340572931
>Linking to Youtube clickbait viewhoring trash

Fuck off.

On another note, I can completely understand you not enjoying story driven, cinematic games, I just don't understand why you actively oppose their existence and the enjoyment of people who like them.

Personally I'm fucking old and decrepit so movie games are right up my alley...which is why I don't get into Naughty Dog games. Yeah, they're cutscene heavy but they're pretty demanding on gameplay too, despite the false narrative people on /v/ have.

When I hear "movie game" I think of shit like Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls and The Walking Dead. Games where you make choices as to how things are going to play out but beyond that gameplay is near non-existent.

Which is ironic, because for all the shitting on Uncharted and The Last of Us that happens around here, Telltale games get showered in adoration around here. Every time a new Walking Dead episode comes out there's a huge 400+ post thread about how great it was.
>>
>>340574153
>>Linking to Youtube clickbait viewhoring trash
I stopped reading your post at this greentext. Those two videos are fantastically made and summarizes Uncharted perfectly. You being a sonycuck doesn't change much.
>>
>why is /v/ the only place on the internet that doesn't mindlessly eat shit
>>
>>340572839

>the platforming was damn great for 07.

The fuck does this even mean. It's not like platforming has come a long way since 2007 or something. Unless he later Uncharted games took cues from Dustforce this is a meaningless qualifier.
>>
File: last of us vs mgs 3 cutscenes.png (116 KB, 582x254) Image search: [Google]
last of us vs mgs 3 cutscenes.png
116 KB, 582x254
>>340574153
>Yeah, they're cutscene heavy
But they're not though
>>
>>340563193
>Well why didn't you want to replay?
Not him but playing through several times to get all the trophies, Uncharted 4 has an obnoxious amount of times where control is taken away from the player to either force them to do the most lackluster set pieces in the series or god awful slow segments that clash horribly with the pacing Uncharted is known for
>>
>>340574153
Well first of all, Telltale gets mostly hate here. Secondly, Telltale don't have rabid fanboys on /v/ trying to tell us their games have good gameplay nor is there any pretense on Telltale's part that their games are anything more than an interactive story.
>>
>>340572931
>LET ME DO SOMETHING IN YOUR GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME

This sums up perfectly what's wrong with Uncharted 4.
>>
>>340571603
serialized game play is not linear game play.
where each sequence provides varied challenges that can be tackled from many directions by the player. simply, figuring how to get from A to B is game play. linear game play only provides a path from A to B and the player is large inconsequential. it will always play out generally the same. there is no question as to what to do. climb this rock. find this box. get past these guys. there is no secondary or tertiary game loops. i cant climb this rock without ?. i cant get get this box unless ?. i cant get past these guys until ?. this is where the player exists. this is where the player is required for the game to be played, hence game play. otherwise it might as well just be scripted to run on its own from beginning to end and forego having the player to execute the explicit script.
>>
>>340574587
>mgs3
>15 hour game with 5 hours of cutscenes
>the last of us
>4 hour game with 1.5 hours of cutscenes
>>
>>340574153
I'm not opposing to their existence and the enjoyment of people who like them

I'm opposing to calling them GOTY 10/10 games when they are clearly just barely above average
>>
>>340574153
its because its more walking dead episodes off season nothing to do with telltale. they're pretty shit as making games.
>>
>>340574904
Ok but what the fuck are you saying? How the fuck is Gears a game but not Uncharted? Have you played the damn games? Give me a recap of the plot in 2. Give me a recap of the plot in 3. or 4.
>>
Just watched Rich Evans and the bald guy hate on UC4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnlDwEZkidI
>>
>why is /v/ not a sonycuck safe space

cry more
>>
>>340573587
>but it's not like you have a multitude of options in dealing with the situation.
A hell of a lot more than Uncharted offers.

Halo also doesn't take control away from the player or saddle them with pointless "walk-and-talk" cutscenes being passed off as gameplay. The areas being more open are exactly what give you than one way to approach an encounter. Silent Cartographer, for example, shits all over anything in Uncharted and it's not particularly open or non-linear in the first place.

Again, Uncharted is structured like a narrative first and foremost and the gameplay fit in later. The gameplay is dependent on the narrative, not the other way around.
>>
Because /v/ is a community of like a million people, and a good number of those people believe the point of /v/ is to just say that every game and game company is the worst shit in the entire world.
>>
>>340575169
>Have you played the damn games? Give me a recap of the plot
>the only way to prove you played the game is having knowledge of its plot

Not even that guy but aren't you doing his work for him?
>>
>>340573384
+1 on dis

this anon gets it
>>
>>340574775
>nor is there any pretense on Telltale's part that their games are anything more than an interactive story
You must be talking about a different Telltale. The only developer of these type of games that has never tried to sell their game as something more than an interactive story are the Until Dawn guys. Everyone else is full of shit. Especially David Cage.
>>
>>340574997
Try ~16h.
>>
>>340574997
>the last of us
>4 hour game with 1.5 hours of cutscenes

nice try, fuckwad.
>>
>>340575169
>catastrophic anus rupture
holy shit get a load of this guy.
>>
>>340574997
>>340575624

BTFO
>>
>>340575543
took me like 30 on my first run but admittedly I explored a lot and listened to most codecs
>>340575624
mgs3 is still better, I know your ps4 cant play it but its just the better game
>>
Uncharted is a cancerous series. People who enjoy it are the kind of idiots who prefer spectacle, graphics, animations, and "good writing" over an actually good game.

I don't think some of you understand. If something is script, it is not good gameplay. It's cool stuff happening while you follow directions.
>>
Because /v/ is:

70% PCucks
20% Nintendrones
9% Sonyggers
1% Xbros
>>
>>340575748
I enjoy them for the exact same reasons you mentioned there but I think they're mediocre tripe not worth more than a playthrough and a replay 4 years later, certainly not worth an award. A-am I still an idiot?
>>340575858
more like

10% video game players
90% falseflaggers
>>
>>340575914
>and a replay 4 years later

but why
>>
>>340575914
But what they achieve via gameplay is warranted an awrd. And 4 managed to eliminate the ludonarrative dissonance.

One thing I want to say about the criticism for Nate killing guards is that Naughty Dog intelligently responded to this. This was always a criticism of past Uncharted's, so ND crafted a majority of the combat encounters in this game to be a "cause and effect" sort of structure. When you do something plot-wise, the enemies respond, but the sequence that occurs gives you the option to completely bypass them without killing them. This is even emphasized more on crushing where it's better to AVOID the enemies then try to snap their necks. Plus, the a.i. is heightened on crushing so it becomes really difficult and you have to utilize your environmental awareness and the level design by maneuvering around all the structures in a sort of stealth reverse-pac man maze way. Now for the big bombastic encounters where you have to use a gun, then it is okay because these moments are used sparingly and whenever they are, it's for self-defense against GENUINE bad guys and the good-natured motivation of saving Sam along with the character development given to him reassures Nate as a good protagnist you want to follow. Then, Nate is constantly questioning whether he wants to continue this adventure and risk his livelihood and marriage so you have loty themes about life to add to the compelling nature of the narrative. Naughty Dog is one of the smartest triple a devs out there in how they challenged the perception of a sequel. This whole game is like a metacommentary on past Uncharted's but also a fun game to boot that ADDS to the series instead of making things more bombastic to appeal to twelve year olds like Halo.
>>
>>340575730
That's okay, I played it on my PS2 and I don't disagree about it being better. Still don't see why you have to shitpost about TLoU and blatantly lie.
>>
File: player agency.jpg (366 KB, 1032x1441) Image search: [Google]
player agency.jpg
366 KB, 1032x1441
>that Rich Evans video
They nailed it. Fucking fake tension. God fucking damn, do I hate it.
>>
>>340576128
What about in Uncharted 3 when you pull that museum guard over a ledge and let him plunge to his death?
>>
>>340576018
Why replay any video game? Especially any game where the ending is the same?

Why is Shadow of the Colossus praised? There's nothing to do in it except go through the same scripted boss encounters.
>>
>>340575624
The information there isn't even consistent.

>5 hours of cutscenes
>16 hour main story
>cutscene percentage 41%

I beat The Last of Us in a single sitting in about 4 hours.
>>
>>340576240
The what now video?
>>
>>340576018
WELL, they're pretty short games as most michael bayish shootan campaigns, so sometimes you just run out of games like that to play and you just gotta go for the replay. Its the same with the CoD campaigns, they're yearly but sometimes I pick one up because I need more. And yeah I unironically enjoy it, same for why I enjoy uncharted, its just some dumb hollywood action and it can be fun, no idea why people have to go and call it a fucking masterpiece
>>340576128
sorry dont have a ps4 yet, will not read that, uncharted games are fun but do not warrant any kind of analysis
>>340576143
I'm not even the same guy, I thought you were calling TLoU better than MGS3, I dont even hate TLoU, got the same opinion as I have of the uncharted games, fun but w/e
>>
>>340576290
>Why replay any video game?

Some games are fun and varied enough to warrant it

>Why is Shadow of the Colossus praised? There's nothing to do in it except go through the same scripted boss encounters.

Good question
>>
>>340575323
>A hell of a lot more than Uncharted offers.
Not really. Especially not 4.

>doesn't take control away from the player
The entire point about UC is that your always in control. Building is collapsing? You're right in there and fighting bad guys and shit.

>walk-and-talk
That's not a thing.

>The areas being more open are exactly what give you than one way to approach an encounter.
No, tools to deal with the situation in different ways is what gives you more than one approach. It's not Crysis m8. And if you want to stick with your open areas. UC4 has them.
>>
>>340576240
>this much cherrypicking

Oh so we're goining to completely ignore the rollercoaster rails in Infinite?

And what is the difference between pressing a button to pick up the can versus playing the convoy chase in Uncharted 4?
>>
>>340576128
>And 4 managed to eliminate the ludonarrative dissonance

Literally who cares? I never even heard this term until like 2009.
>>
>>340562217
I don't hate Naughty Dog because I don't play their games and probably never will, and also because if they didn't exist some other devs would be making similar shit.

With that said, does Uncharted look like a boring turd? Yes. Yes it does.
>>
>>340576448
>sorry dont have a ps4 yet, will not read that, uncharted games are fun but do not warrant any kind of analysis
and that's not a counterargument. that's just derision.
>>
>>340576818
Truth be told I was gonna read it but you started the post with ludonarrative dissonance so I lost interest lol
>>
SUMMERTIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEftw9o1joo
>>
>>340576240
Fuck dude, I dropped Bioshock Infinite within a couple hours but holy shit there's a part in 2012 Tomb Raider where you're climbing up a radio tower and the game is trying to tell you that what you're doing is all scary and dangerous but I'm pretty sure it's impossible to die there.
>>
>>340576257
I'm talking about 4 not 3.

And the narrative in 4 is structured around retconning and loose references to past games' events. So the other games may not have happened SPECIFICALLY in the way you played them. This type of attention to detail is not commended enough in a place that predicates themselves on being "hardcore gaymurs" that appreciate design in games.
>>
>>340576240
voiced protagonists are cancer
>>
>>340577041
lol, people used to shit on hl2's platforming but in retrospect that shit could get pretty intense, certainly beats press X to climb
>>
>>340576257
Also, thanks to Uncharted games being episodic, the retconning is forgiven and given proper development without being hamfisted and forced to be overly apparent.
>>
>>340563060
they are games, just with shallow as fuck gameplay
>>
File: 1449970654633.jpg (30 KB, 600x449) Image search: [Google]
1449970654633.jpg
30 KB, 600x449
>>340562217
>muh realism
>muh story over everything
>muh mutual feelings
>muh "fun and interactive" gameplay
>muh good guy devs
>muh overly SJW friendly devs
>>
>>340577108
>This type of attention to detail is not commended enough in a place that predicates themselves on being "hardcore gaymurs" that appreciate design in games.

So not only are you telling me that anyone who appreciates good games should appreciate attention to detail in the PLOT

Not only that but you are also trying to say that retcons are good storytelling.
>>
File: 1460424500997.jpg (11 KB, 170x213) Image search: [Google]
1460424500997.jpg
11 KB, 170x213
>>340562217
PCfags.

They claim to hate 'le cinematic gaem', yet they foam at the mouth over conversation simulators like TWD and The Witcher.
>>
>>340577638

pretty sure the consolefags are the reason Witcher 3 has so many GOTY awards
>>
>>340577638
witcher 3 is popular on ps4 tho
>>
>>340577574
I've already talked about desgn in the gameplay >>340576128 You're just blatantly ignoring it.
>>
>>340577574
What do you expect? Sonybronies are literally brain dead.
>>
>>340576586
>Not really. Especially not 4.
Yes, really, senpai. When it comes to shooting you have way more options and strategic depth in Halo than you do in U4. Not to mention the much superior enemy variety. The only real edge U4 has is stealth, but it's not very interesting due to the barebones implementation.
>>
>>340577907

see

>>340576953
>>
>>340578445
Just read it, then come back. Uncharted is fantastic and you're not giving it credit because you just refuse to believe it's great. You're blocking your ears and ignoring all positive comments on design, gameplay, or plot.
>>
>>340578019
>more options and strategic depth
>halo
I have no clue what you're talking about and I love the series.
>>
>>340578830
If only the games had decent gameplay
>>
>>340574587
Like half of the Last of Us is a walking cutscene. Gameplay segments are just that, segments interposed in between long stretches of walking and talking and "puzzle" solving aka find the plank of wood you need to get over a small gap.
>>
>>340578830
You've proven multiple times your posts aren't worth reading. Your positive comments on plot are that the writing team is so good they use retcons. Your positive comments on gameplay start with narrative buzzwords that no one outside of neogaf cares about. All you need now is to complain that something is too "video gamey" and you'll be indistinguishable from a strawman.
>>
I had fun with the first 3 but I don't have a PS4. It seems like most people that hate the game have really low attention spans. Yes I am talking about PreRec they complained about a fucking loading screen in the first 2 minutes of the game. I mean I can understand if the loading screens are pervasive but it was starting the fucking game up. Then you see people bitch that there is a 5 minute walking segment or something. I mean yeah that part is pretty stupid but is it really THAT big of a deal? Do they have ADD or something? I don't think Uncharted is a 10/10 at all but they are pretty fun games with interesting enough stories and they have some funny dialogue. This is going based on the first 3 though.
>>
>>340579357
Oh also the "Jump scare" bullshit is not "fake tension" those wood planks are things you aren't supposed to go on. They look sketchy and you are supposed to avoid using them. They put them in there to make climbing slightly more interesting, you have to look where you are going and not just mindlessly press the up button.
>>
>>340579226
The retcons aren't really retcons. It's just a retcon by perspective. Like with Drake, sam, and the orphanage. It was never brought up before, so we don't know if it's not really a retcon. And when I was addressing the "but Drake pushed that guard in Uncharted 3, he murders in cold blood" comment, I was saying that because the series is more or less episodic, the exact way of how certain events played out may not have happened.
>>
>>340562217
They were all gameplay no story but went all story no gameplay and are being hailed as the reason video games are good
>>
>>340579357
Also, people don't realize that there are no loading screeens for the rest of the game in Uncharted. That's how Naughty Dog does. The games takes awhile to load off the bluray the first time when you boot up, then the rest there is no loading at all.
>>
File: narrative.png (27 KB, 1631x203) Image search: [Google]
narrative.png
27 KB, 1631x203
>>
>>340579885
No, Naughty Dog are praised specifically for pushing the boundary of storytelling via gameplay in games. Just because you can't accept interacting with npc's for awhile doesn't make that not gameplay. You can die therefore it is gameplay. You have to aim the gun, it is gameplay. There are many things that can't be understated. And Naughty Dog refine their games to a fucking T. The gunplay and combat in The Last of Us is fucking top-notch on Grounded.
>>
>>340579059
Halo has better weapon variety that accommodates different play styles well.

It also just takes more skill in general. Legendary in Halo in much harder than Crushing in Uncharted.
>>
>>340580429
>Legendary in Halo in much harder than Crushing in Uncharted.
That's a lie. Nice b8 tho
>>
>>340581119
Uh, that's 100% true. Crushing just tweaks incoming/outgoing damage values and maybe ammo drops. Legendary changes enemy layouts, makes enemies faster, more aggressive, and harder to outsmart, and gives them different weapon loadouts.
>>
>>340582141
Crushing also increases enemy cone of vision, decreases the amount of time you can be in their sight before alerted (basically instant), throw more grenades, and a few other minor changes.

Not sure why you're comparing it to Halo anyway, if you had played Halo 5 you'd know how shit the AI is desu.

Uncharted 4 is an okay game, definitely not 10/10 GOTY or whatever but also not a shit movie game with zero gameplay.
>>
>>340582141
You don't know what you're talking about.

This is not an interactive movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AweaGeMaYCw
>>
File: 1461380459682.jpg (16 KB, 256x384) Image search: [Google]
1461380459682.jpg
16 KB, 256x384
>Why is /v/ the only place on the internet that hates nuNaughty Dog?

Success breeds contempt
>>
>>340580429
>different play styles
Like what? In UC4 you can shoot, climb and use verticality, ropes, slides, stealth or avoid encounters completely for example. I don't know what weapon variety has to do with anything since they are not really that much different from one other and you basically just shoot things.

>Legendary in Halo in much harder than Crushing in Uncharted.
Crushing is pretty damn hard, but I'd agree on that.

>>340582141
No, crushing makes enemies notice you faster, increases their accuracy, damage output, makes them more aggressive and adds different enemy types into the mix (like rocket launcher guys next to snipers).
>>
>>340582534
>Crushing also increases enemy cone of vision, decreases the amount of time you can be in their sight before alerted (basically instant)

Those are both completely irrelevan to the difficulty because combat is just hiding behind cover.

>Not sure why you're comparing it to Halo anyway

Not him, but obviously because this guy >>340571415 brought it up.

>if you had played Halo 5 you'd know how shit the AI is desu

No one specified Halo 5.
>>
>>340583103
>both completely irrelevan to the difficulty
How is it irrelevant to difficulty? Have you played the game on crushing? Those fucking rocket niggers and snipers are pretty goddamn obnoxious. The more enemies you can eliminate before being seen, the better.

>No one specified Halo 5.
Sure but it's the most recent release. It's a serious step down from the old games, fuck the prometheans. If they appear in Halo 6 again 343 should just be shut down.
>>
>>340583103
>because combat is just hiding behind cover
Not true, especially in 4 the focus is on keeping you moving with destructable cover and shit like that and the combat is pretty damn hard so stealth is actually the most viable option which makes it very relevant to the difficulty. Especially on crushing.
>>
>>340583103
Cover in Uncharted is destructible, so that clearly proves you never played the games. There's still cover and regenerative health in Halo, and the environments in Halo are stationary with no destructibility
>>
>>340562648
fpbp
>>
>>340583372
>>340583374
Destructible cover just means you pop out for a second to take new cover. You still spend 90% of combat behind cover.
>>
>>340583897
you definitely didn't play the game
>>
>>340583985
>deflect all criticism by pretending only people that like it played it

Not an argument.
>>
>>340584635
But you're saying things that are just no true, so I find it hard to believe you played it.
>>
>>340584635
>Not an argument.
Neither is shitposting. I explained things to you but you decided to ignore it and just go for more bait.
>>
>>340584717
Actually, you're the one saying things that aren't true.
>>
File: 1457941066617.jpg (126 KB, 1024x592) Image search: [Google]
1457941066617.jpg
126 KB, 1024x592
>>340585079
Hey, I want to thank you for being an open-minded guy and appreciating other games besides jrpg's and rpg's, friend. I love Halo and Uncharted same as I like Gran Turismo and Golden Axe. Thank you for being a real gamer and not calling anything not in your preferable genre shit.
>>
>>340585403
I own every halo and every uncharted game, uncharted 4 is not just hiding behind cover
>>
>>340586040
Of course not, sometimes you pop out of cover to shoot.
>>
>>340586156
God. Shut up, you insufferable derisive faggot.
>>
>>340586332
Whoops, sorry pal I didn't mean to trigger you.
>>
>>340586156
You cannot do that on Crushing, enemies will shower you with grenades.

>>340586332
basically this
>>
>>340576586
>walk-and-talk
>That's not a thing.

The delusion of this mothafucka. I haven't played UC 4 but I own Last of Us and the majority of the game was nothing but walking & talking.
It's actually kinda fun once a battle starts, but it takes about 45 minutes of unskippable walking & talking in between each combat scenario. How the fuck do people find the time to play shit like this?
>>
>>340587145
You don't have a surround system and a big 65 inch tv to get immersed. It's a journey you're on with those characters, and there's never been npc's so realistic before.
>>
>>340577891
>>340577853
>>340577638

they're also there for the in-game tits like fucking 12 year olds who only seen their mom's bottom belly saggin tits.

Mass effect didnt have it enough, Gta wasn't realistic enough, Far Cry is too short and sadistic for the tits, Metro had some good tits but it was dyke.

The masterpiece, The Witcher series, featuring 10/10 girls with tits all over and having shitty gameplay. If i wanted tits, i'd boot up skyrim with tit mods or even my old ps2 for leisure suite larry.
>>
>>340587557
I honestly can't tell what's shitposting and what's genuine sonypony delusions.
>>
>>340588209
Well, maybe we just have different perceptions of fun, guy. It felt like a journey with realistic characters that evolved to me.
>>
The perfect example of how U4 treats the player is the way jumping from the swinging rope works.
Where you land doesn't depend on your momentum and the game physics, instead it's simply about how close to the ledge you are, and when you press the button the Drake will be magically attracted to the ledge like it was a magnet. It's not meant to be a challenge, it's just supposed to look cool.
>>
>>340589219
You're not a magnet. You can fall down and miss, dude.
>>
>>340562648
This. They were good as a single play experience but I sold them right after and I'll get uncharted 4 in like two years when it's a bargain bin title. Naughty dog is overrated none of their shit is worth the money
>>
>>340589578
See me in Uncharted 2 multiplayer.
>>
>>340589910
Don't really care for it
>>
>>340590105
It was fun though. Like really fun. Some of the best multiplayer on ps3.
>>
>>340589558
You can fall down if you jump much too early, but if you let go at the point where you have 0 momentum and should drop straight down, but are close enough you will suddenly gain momentum out of nowhere and get to the ledge.
Thread replies: 218
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.