[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"Windows Store is a giant disaster" "Supposed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 55
File: XBoX-One.jpg (23 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
XBoX-One.jpg
23 KB, 600x300
Seems the situation regarding Xbox and Windows 10 is reaching disaster levels. Seems much worse than anyone could have anticipated.

These next years really will be make or break for MS.

>"When we started the project we weren’t aware of Windows 10,” says a source. “We were going to ship on Xbox One initially and then we wanted to come out on PC at a later point, most likely though Steam. But we got burnt quite badly."

>“Without Steam, without other platforms, it was just painful,” says another. “The Windows Store is a giant disaster. It’s on fire. 98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam. The same is true for Minecraft. That hurt us, too. The store’s a mess; the number of people who couldn’t even install the game from the Microsoft store was… significant.”

>Windows 10 installs, too, were nowhere near what Microsoft had planned...“There are supposed to be 2x as many Xboxes out there as there are right now. There are supposed to be 2x as many Windows 10 installs as there currently are.

Source: http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/06/09/how-fable-legends-took-down-lionhead
>>
The danger here is that Microsoft's reaction to poor performance has always been to attempt to force poorly performing programs harder. We already know that they're forcing upgrades to Windows 10 on anyone who has kept their system up to date with recommended updates for security meaning the only way you can avoid it is to leave yourself wind open to attacks that shouldn't work anymore. Its only a year or so away from new hardware no longer being supported on older versions of Windows and about three and a half years from Windows 7 support being dropped entirely.

I will not be surprised at all if Microsoft attempts to force developers into the Windows Store exclusively through the same kind of anti-consumer actions we see in the console market. Or even the nightmare scenario that keeps Gabe Newell up at night where Microsoft will add a 'security' option that will lock Windows to their store by default and show a scary warning to anyone who tries to install Steam.
>>
File: 1454424246576.png (478 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1454424246576.png
478 KB, 600x600
>>340531443
>>
>Not using linux for everything computer related outside of gaming.

It's time to join us wincucks.
>>
>>340532325
I sure do love how most of my software does not work on some special snowflake OS
>>
>>340532325
I'm old enough and there are so few games I find worth playing lately that I've been able to do all my gaming on Linux. about 110 of my 125 games on Steam have Linux versions and of the few that are left some have Linux-native versions outside of Steam or work flawlessly with compatibility software.

Plus all my emulators are native, most of my old games are native (I still mourn the death of Id), and for everything else Wine and Dosbox work great.
>>
>>340532591
B..bu..but WINE
>>
>>340532325
How good is Mint?
>>
>>340531443
That's what happens when you make a POO IN LOO monkey the CEO of your company.
>>
>That little kid's toy side project will make or break Microsoft
>>
"Oh, games for Windows live? That never happened."
>>
>>340532903
I mistyped MS instead of Xbox. However, the article does suggest that W10 adoption is failing to meet expectations, and that's pretty much the meat and potatoes of MS as a whole. Their phones and tablets divisions already failed
>>
Tried to download Killer Instinct for PC and it was painful. It didn't even asked me where did it want to be. Then it froze and never started.

Dropped like a sack of hot shit.
>>
>>340532091
>tfw no consumer protection laws to prevent against this shit from M$
Fuck this planet
>>
>>340531443
>linking kotaku
>>
>>340533030
MS already had plenty of OS failures (ME, Vista, 8 (?). And everyone who has a MS phone seems to find it great, although I don't know about the sales.
>>
File: 1303337137772.jpg (52 KB, 398x299) Image search: [Google]
1303337137772.jpg
52 KB, 398x299
>>340532325
>using Linux for anything but servers
>>
>>340532867
Its utter shit. They badly fucked up earlier this year and had their security compromised and for gaming they're piss poor because they stay on badly outdated packages especially with regards to the graphics drivers.

One of the Ubuntu 16.04 derivatives like Xubuntu which is a lightweight classic desktop distribution is far better for gaming since you'll get up to date system software and drivers plus a lighter weight interface that will give you better performance.
>>
>>340532091
>not keeping auto-update on
>being a problem
What the fuck are you downloading?
>>
>>340531443
Does that mean Steam could come to Xbox? Since the GBA emulator is coming to Xbox this summer because of UWP maybe a steam app could be next.
>>
>>340532091
>all this conspiracy-posting
Go back to /g/, or better yet, just stop posting.

Gaming has made it fine without the Win10 store, and if a company got fucked because of MS' shitty business practice, maybe they should sue.
>>
File: ubuntu_vs_win10-vulkan.jpg (35 KB, 615x509) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu_vs_win10-vulkan.jpg
35 KB, 615x509
>>340533226
Vulkan is here now. We're going to see a lot more performance benchmarks like this one as more games switch away from DirectX.
>>
>>340533220
Even /g/ admits Windows phones are pretty good, the problem is their app store can't compete with iOS and Android. It would be a shame for them to scrap their entire phone division, but whatever.
>>
>>340531443
>98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam
Holy shit savage

Watch as they take this to mean nothing is allowed to go on Steam any more
>>
Windows Store is horribly designed, they are gonna just let you buy PC games from the Xbox app so you can ignore the store
>>
>>340533068
KI is on Win10? What else?
>>
>>340533186
>giving a shit
Don't you have vidya to play? Waifus to masturbate to?
>>
>>340533523
Botnets
>>
>>340533418
You are under the assumption everyone is going to just switch to Vulkan when devs have been using DX for years?
>>
>>340533274
It doesn't matter what you're downloading, this is a common myth and misconception among Windows users that as long as they don't download certain scary things they'll be safe.

The truth is that remote root exploits on Windows are common and drive-by installs of software from compromised web sites, or access by bots actively scanning known vulnerabilities are an every day occurrence. If you don't keep your Windows install up to date you will be vulnerable to known exploits that should have been fixed.

A massive amount of blame for this problem lays with Microsoft pushing things other than security updates in update channels that should never change the interface, or download massive amounts of data, or attempt to install updates without giving users a chance to cancel or back up essential data.
>>
File: 7MI27XW.png (132 KB, 941x815) Image search: [Google]
7MI27XW.png
132 KB, 941x815
>MS isn't happy they have the most dominant gaming OS on the market

Either Gabe is going to sell out next week or a Giant Mechanical Scorpion is going on a rampage through Bellvue soon.
>>
>>340532091
>The danger here is that Microsoft's reaction to poor performance has always been to attempt to force poorly performing programs harder.
>Our product can't be bad, people are just not using it.
>We have to force them to.
>>
>>340533930
Yet, 99% of PCs are fine.
>>
>>340534001
It's not that they have the most dominant gaming OS on the market. It's that those people who have switched to Windows 10 aren't using the shitty built in app store to buy games.
>>
>tfw Dead Rising 4 is going to be a fucking UWP game on PC
fuck everything and everyone
>>
>>340533930
I've always had barely enough security, and never allowed updates since my first computer in 2001, and I've never had any problem.
>>
>>340533418
>Vulkan
Here's another API that needed a set of huge launch titles to make it actually relevant. Fallout 4, GTA 5, current year CoD, MGS 5 - if all those games ran exceptionally well(30-40% performance increase with prettier graphics) on Vulkan and their publishers as well as developers would have been advertising that fact then Vulkan would have taken off like it was supposed to. But it didn't.
>>
>>340533672
DirectX has a fragmentation issue that Microsoft keeps making worse. If you want to use the latest and greatest version you're restricted to a single version of a single OS and when a new generation of graphics cards with awesome new features come out that require a new version as a developer you have to wait for users not just to upgrade their hardware but also upgrade the OS. This process can take years as was seen with the transition from DX9 to DX11.

Meanwhile with Vulkan the latest version is available on any platform where the GPU companies are free to keep their drivers up to date and those updates can be available immediately both to developers and to users.

Even with quick and dirty tool assisted ports from DirectX 11 like Talos Principle the benefits of using Vulkan are clear. Games that more fully utilize Vulkan will see even greater increases in performance.
>>
>>340531443
>even normies aren't bending over to Microshaft's bullshit
How could they fuck up this much?
>>
>linking kotaku again

when is this shit going to get filtered, hiro?
>>
>>340534318
i love dead rising, but not enough to fuck around with windows 10 and the windows store to play it for myself.

fuck microshit, seriously. this desperation to control the market is fucking killing their franchises.
>>
>>340533220
dunno, but I have a windows 10 tablet which costed me 100 bucks and its fucking great.

makes me never want an android tablet ever. but unfortunately these wont take off like ios or android has.
>>
>>340533068
You have to go to system storage settings in the control panel and change the default drive for apps. No you can't choose the folder, only the drive. It's exactly as retarded as it sounds.
>>
they didnt even market that tomb raider was on the winstore
what the fuck did they expect?
>>
>>340532325
I imagine i will be using linux when windows 7 become obsolete
>>
>>340531443
Why do they think they can easily topple long standing clients like steam or a platform that is more dedicated to fundimg actual and more original games then them? They need to get their head out of their ass, all they have been trying to do since xbone had it's first reveal is try to shove shit down people's throat nobody really wants or asked for.
>>
>>340534064
I haven't seen a single clean Windows PC that wasn't my own. Ever.
>>
>>340533220
forgot to mention that the Zune HD was a pretty great media player and unfotunately the hate for MS and the blind love for apple killed it. so sad, I really enjoyed mine while I had it.
>>
>>340533274
laptops?

You don't want to find that randomly downloaded over mobile network, my laptops have had a sim card for years, its common these thays

its about control over your own things, you know best, they don't and because they still think they know best a lot of people have gotten expensive bills for mobile data usage, unless they at least offer to cover those bills for people they should not force a OS to be downloaded

not to mention, it is very rude of them
>>
>>340534064
Except they're not. The majority of compromised Windows PCs have the exploits sitting dormant because you weren't involved in Tibet Freedom, or didn't have any interesting financial information, or you just didn't notice. Not every worm is going to send out email to everyone in your outlook contact list, or encrypt your hard drive. Some are just going to send demographic information back to a central server so that they can sell directed advertising.

Of course with Windows 10 Microsoft cut out the middleman making scumware and just added that one themselves.
>>
>>340532091
>Or even the nightmare scenario that keeps Gabe Newell up at night where Microsoft will add a 'security' option that will lock Windows to their store by default and show a scary warning to anyone who tries to install Steam.

Gabe's own attempt failed spectacularly. Steamboxes sold under 500,000 and Steam OS has been a spectacular failure with less gaming power than other Linux distros. He tried to defend and failed. What else can he do other than sign a Versailles treaty with Microshit? Linux is a disaster for gaming and forever will be

>>340534436

Vulkan was massively overhyped and failed to deliver because the audience it was mostly intended for, Mobile developers, said "Why would we use an API only flagship Android Phones running 64-Bit can use" and with Apple they can use Metal SDK because they know every phone Apple makes from now on uses it. Every mobile company is sticking with OGL.

>>340534469

Pajeet, Vulkan requires the same GPU set upgrades as DX12, doesn't support older hardware or 32-Bit OS systems. They are still in the same upgrade path.

10 rupees for your effort though
>>
Good. They should leave the video gaming business.

The original XBOX signaled the decline of the gaming console.
>>
>>340534818
I enjoyed my Zune(s) as well, not to mention their subscription service that let you "keep" 10 tracks a month in addition to downloading/streaming the majority of the rest of the catalog. I hop onto a current version of Windows, and lo and behold, none of those "purchases" are valid anymore. Fuck.
>>
>>340533481
That's what they're doing. RotTR sold like shit on the Windows store, and Nixxes openly complained that it was easier to update the game on Steam, and Windows customers were getting an inferior experience due to lack of features available for UWP apps. Microsoft ignored these criticisms and released Gears of War and Quantum Break as Windows 10 Store exclusives, both were complete disasters and shitty ports. KI and Forza run well but they're still crippled games.
>>
>>340534989
Xbox brought in some great games they just aren't doing shit now. They're still riding the games that made them successful in the first place.
>>
>Microsoft make retarded decisions

What exactly is new here?

>latest console sales are being btfo by the PS4 2 to 1
>"oh sheeeit, how do we fix this?"
>"we release pretty much all of the Xbox One's exclusives on the PC"
>"BRILLIANT"
>>
>>340534436
You're used to DirectX where Microsoft does everything behind closed doors, and even then it can take 5 years or more for the new API to really take off.

Vulkan just recently came out of NDA and had the first drivers that would support it become available for developers. Every new game using the latest Unreal, or Idtech, Crytech, Source or Unity engine is going to have the ability to use Vulkan.
>>
>>340535019
>I hop onto a current version of Windows, and lo and behold, none of those "purchases" are valid anymore. Fuck.

Shit I forgot about the "free" tracks from MS subscription service from back then, so they don't work?

I have never bought any digital music so I dont know.
>>
>Games For Windows Live was shit, despised for good reason
>Microsoft are trying to strongarm GFWL onto userbase again in Winblows 10
>people are responding by saying, "fuck your game then bro"
>game sells abysmally

Is Sam Lake their "unnamed source" and severely disappointed at how Remedy's new game was as stillborn as Battleborn?
>>
File: Xbox.jpg (43 KB, 822x462) Image search: [Google]
Xbox.jpg
43 KB, 822x462
>>340532901
No. That's what happens when you try to force anti-consumer policies on a public that is already paranoid about losing their privacy.
>>
>>340535150
Nope. They try to rope you into a new version of Zune Pass to stream that shit. Good thing I have everything backed up among Amazon, Google, and various hard drives I've never bothered to clean up.
>>
File: Google_positions.jpg (15 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
Google_positions.jpg
15 KB, 950x534
As one giant falls, another rises...
>>
>>340535331
I bought 1 or 2 tracks from amazon, when I had a Kindle Fire, but gave it away to a friend of mine and bought the windows 10 tablet, so I cant access my kindle music on my tablet..... wait a minute.... its windows 10... so that means I can just downlaod my tracks from amazon music directly as mp3's... right? welp I guess I can still access the only 2 tracks I have ever bought.
>>
>>340535130
>You're used to DirectX where Microsoft does everything behind closed doors, and even then it can take 5 years or more for the new API to really take off.

Then why didn't that work for Mantle? AMD, and some of their partners like EA and SQE, have been pushing that shit like crazy in 2014 and 6 months later it was deader than dogshit.
>>
>>340531443
>>340532091

This. Fuck EA and Activision, they are nothing.

Microsoft is the fucking devil.
>>
>>340534469
vote with your wallet and contact companies and ask for the feature, if enough people do this then the company realize it is relevant and give it more attention, in turn more people use it etc

that is simply the only way IMO, many people forget that the companies themselves must also be told there is a need and demand, bantering between ourselves will never be enough
>>
File: 1450221827854.jpg (61 KB, 784x522) Image search: [Google]
1450221827854.jpg
61 KB, 784x522
>>340531443
Lionhead was a shit studio that has made only 2 relatively good games.

As for Windows 10, I dual booted it to play Killer Instinct and have zero regrets whatsoever.
If Scalebound releases on it as well, I'll be using it for 2 games, even better.
>>
>>340535546
Amazon hasn't fucked me on music I've purchased from them years ago... yet. I think you have to download their fucking botnet program or whatever to locally download stuff, though.
>>
File: GiganticScreenshot-Charnok.jpg (480 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
GiganticScreenshot-Charnok.jpg
480 KB, 1920x1080
>The W10 exclusive dota-killer failed
Why, bros?

WINDOWS 10 IS THE FUTURE, JUST INSTALL IT YOU FUCKS
>>
>>340534918
>He tried to defend and failed. What else can he do other than sign a Versailles treaty with Microshit? Linux is a disaster for gaming and forever will be
I see no real future for Linux gaming either. At least not in the state it is now. The support for hardware is simply too poor at this point. Not even my Razer mouse worked out of the box and I had to write a script to set my sensitivity and button configuration settings on startup.
However, as long as people are still using Windows 7 and 8, developers will have to cater to those if they want to sell their products. All we can hope for is that Microsoft sees reason and improves the aspects of Windows 10 people take issue with, e.g. the rampant spying on their customers.
>>
>>340531443
why don't they just use steam like everyone else?
>>
>>340535670
>botnet program
is it really abotnet? not that im concerned I mostly use this tablet for work, so I have nothing to hide really.
>>
If anything that pretty much means that the Xbox One is actually the only way to play these games.
>>
>>340532325
this
>>
>>340534918
>Vulkan requires the same GPU set upgrades as DX12,
Vulkan is supported on every recent GPU that's still supported by the GPU vendors. For Nvidia its back to the 600 series, for AMD its all GCN hardware.

>32-Bit OS systems
Outside of Windows nobody runs 32bit any more. The only modern 32bit Linux systems are ARM based.

> Steam OS has been a spectacular failure with less gaming power than other Linux distros
SteamOS is based on older and more stable code but its seen consistent updates and after the latest driver updates it should be up to par with more recent distributions like Ubuntu 16.04. Valve still has time to bring developers, games, and users to the platform before the Windows 7 EOL date. We'll only really know that it failed in 2020 when Microsoft will have everyone over by the balls if there isn't a non-Windows OS.

Also, what alternate reality are you from where Linux companies can pay anyone to astroturf for them.
>>
>>340534789
>>what are they downloading

>>340534883
Windows says if there's something trying to use the internet that's not explicitly installed. It may not function for everything, but we don't really have information on what would or wouldn't constitute that.
>>
>>340535740
and make steam more of a monopoly?
>>
>>340535150
most digital music you buy is actually just given access to you until you either die or they change their mind/user agreement

so people who buy music on itunes and have vast libraries and who maybe sold their physical music collection in favor of the digital one, all risk losing it all, and it will most likely never be able to pass to other family members when you die, its simply gone
>>
>>340535572

Mantle got rolled into Vulkan. I think it's basically the same thing, but Nvidia is giving it support now too (Mantle was made for AMD cards specifically at first or something?)

And the big publishers love hiring the cheapest devs possible, who are barely even passably adequate when working with DirectX...
>>
>>340534469
Games not implementing DX11 is a development problem, not an OS and GPU market problem. They're backwards compatible. It's the neat thing about gaming on PC, turning off settings.
>>
>>340535773
I just call everything a botnet that is something I don't want installed but need to for intermittent menial tasks, and are generally from a large corporation; like Chrome, or Battle.net's launcher.
>>
Did anyone read the article? "Sources say" is all over. Only valid thing is how bad the app store is for games. That had nothing to do with the train wreck that was Fable Legends.
>>
>>340535572
Mantle only worked on one companies hardware on one operating system so it was never going to be a success in the eyes of end users. On the other hand Mantle was a huge succeess if you look at it from a developer perspective as a technical preview. Both major modern graphics APIs Direct3D 12 and Vulkan are based on the Mantle design and anyone who learned it has a good start on understanding the new APIs.
>>
>>340536056
yeah the appstore is pretty bad, lucky for me, since its windows, I can just find the programs and install them on the tablet/pc though.
>>
>>340535716
I hope that people will finally have had enough and move over to linux, and in turn force people to cater more to the OS.

I know I have had it, when win 7 dies my time as a microsoft user is over, even if I have to give up some games, its not worth it anymore and the gaming selection on linux have improved, when win 7 dies its most likely a bit better too, so I don't see the problem
>>
Why would the windows store matter so much? It's just a platform to buy some shit, how could it ruin Microsoft? Hardly seems like a big deal
>>
>>340536182
I mean yeah it's not great but it's usable. Steam was a fucking mess at launch as well. I have no issue with MS putting their games on it (Galo, Quantum Break, Forza). Call me when they are locking other games behind it.
>>
File: IMG_20160609_193308.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160609_193308.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
My PC just started updating to Windows 10 without asking for permission fuck Microsoft.
>>
>>340536356
ABORT
>>
>>340536356
You didnt disabled the windows update service and blocked their servers on your router firewall?
>>
>>340535874
>Windows says if there's something trying to use the internet that's not explicitly installed.

Most exploits will disable functionality as soon as they're installed. This is why security experts use tools running on external machines, or boot from a known working live environment. You can't trust a potentially compromised system to accurately report if anything is wrong.
>>
>>340536324
Because they want to combine Xbox and the Windows Store into one platform in the future.
>>
>>340536356
Why would they do this? Some machines literally cannot handle the upgrade process
>>
>>340536356
It's okay, anon. Just let it happen. Everything will be fine.
Windows 10 is a great OS, for leisure or work. You'll be much happier as one of us.
Join us, anon.
>>
>>340536249
>I hope that people will finally have had enough and move over to linux
I'm sure they will

and then after dealing with Linux and its shitter community for fixes to what should be mundane issues for about 2 days, they'll go right back to Windows.
>>
>>340532325
>Even more no games than Mac and PS3 combined
no thanks lol.
>>
>>340536469
I keep hearing talk about the xbone slim being all digital so that makes sense.
>>
>>340531443
Expected after the desastrous E3 reveal of the bloody bone. MS dropped the ball with the xbone.
Maybe they can redeem themselves with the scorpio bone.
>>
>>340536401
I don't want to risk my files
>>
>>340536532
Can you make sense?
>>
Any game that goes to the windows store will be automatically ignored. Sick off everyone wanting their own little fucking store.

Uplay
Origin
Windows
Gog

It's not like uplay and the windows store are even decent.
>>
>>340535995
DX doesn't progress always incrementally like that in a backwards compatible way. Its seen a number complete overhauls. DX9 to DX10, and then again with DX11 to DX12. Old games only work on new versions of Windows because it still includes the old versions of DirectX.
>>
Why would anyone not want to upgrade to Win 10? Privacy is not a valid reason unless you don't have a smart phone, only pay cash, and use Linux with privacy focused search engines.
>>
>>340536586
>
>let it finish
>look up the option to go back to the previous OS
>?????
>profit.
>>
>>340531443
>most likely though Steam.

lol wait what?

gaben didnt even want to cuck microsoft?

no fucking way
>>
>>340536356
windows 10 is genuinely a better operating system than 7. the issue is that

1. people hate shit being shoved down their throats.
2. people hate forced updates
3. Older hardware can't run it

When a computer is forced to upgrade and subsequently downgrade, people get super sour about it. They should have just pulled an apple and made the OS upgrade free for everyone whenever they want to upgrade.

Windows 10 is also an IT nightmare because of how many systems are built to deal with forced updating
>>
>>340536356
>not using never10
you fucked up
>>
>>340536650
>Competition is bad

Yeah no get fucked valve drone.
>>
File: 1351018406631.png (127 KB, 628x459) Image search: [Google]
1351018406631.png
127 KB, 628x459
>>340531443
>Seems the situation regarding Xbox and Windows 10 is reaching disaster levels
How? Arent they just a few million short from their 1 billion sale?
>>
>>340536650
its fine they want to have their little store, but they way they are doing things now are so dumb and it hurts the consumers.

imagine if you had to run between several stores just to check out different brands of peanutbutter?

it feels like that to us but they don't care, they all want monopoly
>>
>>340531443
No shit.

Don Mattrick royally fucked the company, and it'll be awhile before they are back in business.

Phil is helping, but it's hard to undo a bad start to a generation, and fix bad hadware decisions they are stuck with.
>>
>>340536815
competition is okay

it isn't when Microsoft and Ubisoft are bringing nothing to the table
>>
>>340536815
>being his butthurt
>>
>>340536481
Microsoft makes the majority of their money off of sales of new systems. If they break a PC that's out of warranty the reaction of most users will be to just go out and buy a new one. Its a win-win for them since they'll either get the revenue from the built in advertising and cut of sales in the Windows Store as the user is force-upgraded to 10, or they'll get that plus the OEM licensing fee when the user buys a new system.
>>
>>340534006
thats pretty much how Valve got everyone to use steam isnt it?
>>
>>340536650
I dont mind Origin or Gog. I mind when games use multiple DRMs that bog it down. I'm looking at you GTA.
>>340536815
in his defense Windows store is a terrible Idea that only works on 1 OS, and you can't even LOOK at files installed through it. Its real dumb.
>>
>>340531443
>The same is true for Minecraft. That hurt us, too
>Buy a game from a raging transphobic piece of shit
>get surprised when the game doesnt sell well to the politically correct millenials of the world
>>
>>340536714
you don't get to decide what is a valid reason or not.

One easily pay with a card, but be aware of one using it and consider if the purchase should be made with card or cash etc

you are simply being difficult for the sake of it and that just make you a moron

also: why should I stop my machine from doing what its doing to upgrade? I get no real benefit, so why bother?
>>
>>340536650

the good thing with GOG is they patch their old abandonware-type games to actually run on newer machines. Compare that to Steam where Gaben just rolls his hands across his fat belly and says that's YOUR problem--he himself has no problem selling games that have become broken due to age. Fat bastard. But yeah Ubishit and EA? Why would you even want a Uplay and Origin account? So you can buy the newest shovelware ASSCREED or fully gay privilege-checking simulator + $50 day-1 DLC from BioWare?
>>
>>340536458
It always asked me to update and I always said no. I left my pc for 10 mins, came back and 5 mins later it restarted and began the update.
>>
>If you want to play Killer Instinct online you need Windows Firewall enabled
>Wanted to unlock the GTR on Forza Apex
>Can't install the Forza Hub app unless it's to an "internal drive" even though it was going onto a HDD inside my PC

Fuck the Win10 store it's fucking terrible
>>
>>340536936
You're right. The difference is though that back in 2003 the market wasn't saturated with this shit. All we had we third party programs to find server like gamespy
>>
>>340537070
I actually don't mind GoG, i jsut hate everything having their own little store.
>>
>>340536249
>I hope that people will finally have had enough and move over to linux, and in turn force people to cater more to the OS.
I wish that was the case, but I doubt it will happen. Dealing with Linux is simply too much of a hassle at this point. Once a year I give various Linux distributions a try, but in every one of them I run into issues. Whether it's hardware incompatibilities, or software features that don't work or are poorly implemented. When I look them up, I find years old bug tickets that nobody cared about because they were too busy implementing their new feature rather than fixing the old stuff - or even worse, start a new distribution of their own. The way I see it, the open source community stands in its own way, starting millions of derivative projects rather than focussing on making one of them great. But it's also an issue with hardware manufacturers not supporting good drivers that work out of the box - which isn't going to happen due to too few people using the platform. I feel that it's a bit too late for Linux to take over. In the early to mid 90s, it would have still been possible. Windows was similarly shitty and getting things to run took quite a bit of effort occasionally. But in the late 90s, things started to improve massively, and at least since Windows XP, Windows has become a convenient platform that no Linux distribution can compete with. Certainly you have some easier to use distributions, which - in case you want to do just office work and internet browsing - do most of what you'd ever want fairly easily, but as soon as you want to do something out of the box you're in a bit of trouble if you're not experienced already. In Windows, this is not nearly as much effort.
>>
File: Kermit-The-Frog-Couch-Meme-08.jpg (25 KB, 348x145) Image search: [Google]
Kermit-The-Frog-Couch-Meme-08.jpg
25 KB, 348x145
>everyone telling me their PCs are bugging them constantly and automatically updating to W10
>complete moron when it comes to technology, bought a cheap laptop with windows 7 a year or two ago
>literally have none of the update blocking programs or anything installed
>have never even received one notice asking me to upgrade or anything
can someone explain
>>
>>340536481

Can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs
>>
>>340534001
most people who have steam installed dont even have gaming computers

when will you people get this through your thick fucking skulls
>>
>>340536835
because they are valued based on their estimated sales, and when they fail to reach those goals it does not matter if the number is still high, they are worth less than they should be and stock holders might lose faith in them and sell out, if enough people do that it can trigger a reaction
>>
>>340535251
This guy did most of the damage I think.

"Fortunately we already have a product for people without internet connectivity, it's called the Xbox 360."

That is literally the most condescending, disrespectful collection of words he could've possibly said.
>>
>>340537016
>You owe me reperations for having slain me this morn

Is she a parody?
>>
>>340537117
This all just a ploy just for people to buy Xbox Ones to play these games.
>>
>>340537212
you never downloaded the update that makes windows 10 show up at all
>>
>>340537212
actually now that I remember it's windows 8 but I always think it's windows 7 because I have the windows 7 start bar installed
>>
>>340535862
>Also, what alternate reality are you from where Linux companies can pay anyone to astroturf for them.
Google maybe? Android x86 when? I just want someone competent to give M$ a run for their money.
>>
>>340535125
It's pretty obvious that, no matter how hard Microshaft tries, they have already long obliterated any chance they had at capturing the console market with their disaster of the Bone release. There will likely be no Killer App that launches their console sales anywhere near Sony's levels, shit even Nintendo is still printing money with Amiibo and 3DS stuff despite Wii U's abysmal performance. There is really no reason to divide between Xbox exclusive and Windows PC exclusive this gen. Honestly if they were smart, they would release a slew of their older games (EG a fixed MCC) on Steam just to increase their sales, then try again next console cycle. Maybe they won't be so daft as to demand their consumers accept being spied on at launch. But this is M$ we're talking about here. I'd compare any recent success to an idiot savant's success.
>>
File: catalyst_vs_mesa-bioshock.png (17 KB, 600x203) Image search: [Google]
catalyst_vs_mesa-bioshock.png
17 KB, 600x203
>>340537159
AMD at least seems to have the right idea. The drivers that you get out of the box on Ubuntu 16.04 are better than the drivers provided by AMD that you had to install yourself back on 14.04.
>>
>>340537097
negro you could have prevented it, all you can do now is rollback, though i dont know how that is going to help you as your pc is already tainted with all the backdoors of w10.
Should just save your important files, and format, then re-install w7 and use block every form of windows update connection
>>
Well, time for valve to really take their OS seriously and convince developers to convert their games to linux. Because if microsoft doesnt go back to the windows 7 days then im out.
>>
>>340536936
Yep but steam stopped being shit by 2008. Microsoft had numerous attempts at making their own store starting with Vista and Live in 2006/2007 and it seems they haven't learned a thing making the same mistakes with the Windows Store.
>>
>>340537159
Not him, but I used Ubuntu for a while, and just dual booted into a Win7 when necessary.

No real complaints to be honest, although I know this reply isn't very helpful.
>>
>>340536714
If you were gay and some dude off the street came up to you bent you over and fucked you in the ass would that make it ok cause you were gay? No just because you like something doesn't mean someone else can force it on you whenever.
>>
>>340536771
>cant run old programs
>cant run on screen displays in games
>>
>>340535710
beta is down
>>
>>340533220
Win fone is tripe
>>
>>340537016
who is that vile amber person?
>>
File: lightscreen.2016-06-04.jpg (99 KB, 857x485) Image search: [Google]
lightscreen.2016-06-04.jpg
99 KB, 857x485
>>340531443
>>“Without Steam, without other platforms, it was just painful,” says another. “The Windows Store is a giant disaster. It’s on fire. 98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam. The same is true for Minecraft. That hurt us, too. The store’s a mess; the number of people who couldn’t even install the game from the Microsoft store was… significant.”

Because most w10 are laptops with Intel Graphics, when dedicaded Steam users have powerful desktop machines, You cant expect people play Tomb raider in laptops
>>
>>340537316
>I just want someone competent to give M$ a run for their money.

as soon as there is someone competent enough for this, MS will suffer for it, however, Linux aint going to be it, no matter how good people say it is, its just not as friendly or easy to find fixes as with windows.
>>
>>340533930
good job rasheed

$1.25 has been deposited into your bank account
>>
>>340531443
>98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam. The same is true for Minecraft.
>Steam
>Minecraft

whuh?!
>>
>>340535710

>just let windows completely track everything you do and send it to the NSA

no thanks. this shit has just solidified that I will get linux once windows 7 stops being supported.
>>
>>340537212
Your system was likely compromised and updates were disabled in order to prevent it from getting a security update that would secure your system. Remove your system from the internet immediately, shut it off and contact a security professional.
>>
>>340531443
>There are supposed to be 2x as many Windows 10 installs as there currently are.
I'm pretty sure Windows 10 is the most popular OS in the Steam survey right now. That percentage is also growing rapidly. What the fuck are they talking about? Microsoft themselves came out and said the Windows 10 adoption rate was better than they had hoped.
>>
>>340537450
Tranny who surfaced during the whole Gamergate thing and tried to play both sides for money and failed miserably.
>>
>>340532325
>linux
I've tried using Linux off and on many times over the past 15+ years or so and it's still buggy as shit. Even fucking Ubuntu eventually goes to shit where stuff just doesn't work or you get constant errors or updates don't work either. It's so bad I'd rather upgrade to Win10 which despite it's problems is an actual functioning and stable OS with actual support. Fuck Linux.
>>
>>340536650
Competition is good when the competitors aren't trying to force spyware like Origin or Uplay. I won't speak ill of GoG or Humble Bundle. Steam tried, but they make stupid mistakes.
>>
Rest in pisses Microshit
>>
>>340537485
Then why is Android so popular and has a shit ton of documentation and communities?
>>
>>340537016
Man if anything notch is getting pretty based. He's no longer in that "hey I'm just trying to be a good guy" phase into the "man everybody fans, haters, poo in looers, you can all fuck off" also he's savage af
>>
>>340536891
Uplay is objectively as good as Steam is as far as a game delivery service. Steam was a train wreck at launch and everyone hated it, when/if MS gets the kinks worked out of the app store it will be a fine way to get games

>>340536912
>I dont understand the free market so i'll just insult

>>340537003
>Windows store is a terrible Idea
In it's self it's a fine idea. Is the idea executed correctly? No but what if in a but they fix all the issues?

>>340537049
So you have no argument besides "muh privacy"? I'm not saying what is valid or not, logic is

>Google
Sure take all my info
>Banks
Sure take all my info
>Apple
Sure take all my info
>Microsoft
NO GET FUCKED MY PRIVACY IS NOT FOR SALE

That's how dumb the piracy argument is. But just for conversations sake lets ignore the privacy concerns, what are the issues keeping you from Win10 but still stay on Win 8.1/7?

>>340537387
You are avoiding the question, you are not giving any reason for not wanting to install Win10. Also it's a false equivalence since Win10 can't make your asshole bleed or give you aids
>>
>>340537341
Sony won the generation by literally not shooting itself in the foot.

Gamestop is where most people go to get their games, and are now most game stores in the US. MS alienated their former allies with the no used games thing, alienated their consumers with the kinect, and alienated their developers with WIN 10 store.

you cant make this shit up
>>
>>340537237
i love that guy - he makes M$ to burnout faster
>>
>>340537381
for some reason when i was 15 i bothered to install ubuntu and get spore running on it before i got a gaming pc

what other games run good on it, i saw that image of the talos principle, wait HOLY FUCK THATS BASED ON SS3, DOES SS3 RUN BETTER IN UBUNTU?
>>
>>340537469

That's not it

They only advertised tomb raider for xbox

There was no indication of it coming to windows 10 store and it was hard to find even through searching

You also couldn't even pre order and could buy it like a day after release

Basically they didn't even try.
>>
>>340537381
I did the same for a while. I gave up on it though, because Windows does everything Ubuntu does - and better in my opinion. If it weren't for Microsoft having overdone it with their spying this time on Windows 10 I'd be happily using it. I'd even pay for their fucking software. It's utterly ridiculous that they wouldn't let a paying customer opt out from this shit.
>>
>>340537529
He probably meant to say 98% of MC sales were standalone rather than through the win10 store. Though that'd kind of a useless point to make when we're talking about a game that's been around on PC already for over 5 years.
Those metrics would probably look about the same even if it got a Steam release
>>
>>340537590
>Microsoft themselves came out and said the Windows 10 adoption rate was better than they had hoped
more like adoption rape because it is getting forced and people are forcing it out with the rollback, and others have already took the steps to prevent it from ever happening
>>
>>340533186
He pasted the contents here. You didn't have to click it. That is how it is supposed to be done.
>>
>>340537648
>
because there wasnt a windows phone back then, and it competed with iOS whose phones are always fucking expensive, so peope bought Android phones that were much cheaper.

also Android is also fucking buggy as shit.

by the time windows roled out with their windows phone Android and IOS had become to big.

however anon, after having owned android tablets and now owning a windows tablet, I can't go back to android, its just so much better having a portable windows machine than an android one. it even made me consider getting one of the expensive surface machines. but I'll have to make do with the RCA cambio. which is still great
>>
Its funny how you all think Microsoft's future depends on their tiny gaming sector.

This isn't Sony
>>
>>340537762
Would you be less outraged if they just called it SP2? Serious question
>>
>>340537680
Google and banks both make good use of my info that directly improve my quality of life or help keep my finances more secure. Microsoft is largely using it for advertising and anti-piracy. I can't really speak for apple.
>>
>>340533068
>>340533068
>I Dl Killer Instinct from Microsoft store, decide I want to delete it
>WTF, HOW?

I literally had to google how to delete it from my computer because you can't delete it from the same app you downloaded it from. It's so counter intuitive, and retarded that it must be on purpose.
>>
they're probably just going to roll the install into a W10 update. and then have it launch on startup
>>
>>340531443
Microsoft will invariably fuck everyone in the ass with Windows 10, because an average PC user is too dumb to use Linux, even "user-friendly" distributives like Ubuntu. Thus they have nowhere to run. Poor cucks, that's what you get for relying on corporations.
>>
File: gabe.jpg (53 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
gabe.jpg
53 KB, 640x360
Is Steam going to save us PC bros or is Microsoft going to ruin PC gaming by 2020?

Win7 stops being supported in 2020 and then it's the beginning of the end unless someone creates a viable competitor OS.
>>
>>340537862
I agree, but why are you using a trip?
>>
>>340537916
don't you just have to RIGHT CLICK on the icon and select uninstall?

I'm pretty sure thats what I did.
>>
>>340537485
Linux distributions like ChromeOS are even friendlier. There are a lot of new technologies circulating in the Linux community emerging from the server market in areas like virtualization and sandboxing that seem set to ultimately revolutionize the desktop.
>>
>kotaku
>Neogaf
>IGN

Are now acceptable on /v/

What happended?

I hope this is just sonyggers
>>
>>340537949
i admire you for still being able to believe in linux on the desktop
>>
lmaoing @ microsoft's life right now

it's like they're intentionally shooting themselves in the foot at every given opportunity. i guess that's what happens when all your founders leave the company and it gets passed from one idiot to another
>>
>>340537883
Would you be less outraged if i said i didnt installed either nor feel compelled to install the latest even if forced?
>>
Windows 10.1 "Apology" version when?

I mean, they did it for Windows 8 by releasing 8.1
>>
>>340537159
my experience have been different, my mom's old xp machine needed a new os, installed linux, printers and external devices for her, she had one problem my brother was able to fix for her, he is not a pc type person, the other I had to fix, that was it.

A friend of mine had a "broken" laptop that was 5 years old, installed linux, lived 5 more years doing the exact same tasks

a friends GF was gonna throw away another "broken" laptop, installed linux, works like a charm to this day

and that is kinda how it have gone.

for most people linux is better than windows simply because it comes with more basic software and functionality out of the box, the vast majority do not have the need for any specific program that only run on windows 7 64 bit or anything like that, they need a browser and maybe to write a document, and that is if they don't use the browser for that too through google docs or something.

commonly used applications like spotify, skype, VLC, chrome, firefox (gotta have the users favorite browser, then its all good) are available
>>
Meh. I got the PC version of Killer Instinct. I'm set now unless they magically announce something at E3.
>>
>>340531443
It's almost like consumers don't like it when you do anti-consumer stuff.
>>
>>340538017
It's an interview/discloser, not an opinion piece; I don't really care about the source. Though I would have appreciated a paste-bin
>>
>>340531443
Literally when is the point of Windows 10 when 7 exists.
>>
>>340535875
yes?
>>
>>340537970
No, Gabe's going to use all his money creating a SteamOS and console/PC hybrid only to realize gamers just wanted to PLAY FUCKING GAMES not muddle with exploratory options.
>>
>>340537406
the cant run old programs argument is just as dumb today as it was 10 years ago. I couldn't run Oni on PC without third party shit 10 years ago. saying an OS should be able to support 20+ year old software out of the box is like buying a motherboard with 2 PS2 slots, and 3 ribbon cable spots.

Let the enthusiasts and people who want the software fix it, while the 95% percent of people who dont need it can go on without bloating the OS.
>>
Microsoft isn't dying anytime soon.

Sorry sonyggers .

M$ Is more than video games.

And people with actual jobs don't use Linux. Linux will never be the standard.
>>
File: 1389450661225.gif (3 MB, 270x166) Image search: [Google]
1389450661225.gif
3 MB, 270x166
>>340531443
>“There are supposed to be 2x as many Xboxes out there as there are right now."
This is completely unfair though. Xbox One may be dead outside of USA, but within USA itself the Xbox One is actually outpacing the Xbox 360.
So I don't know what the fuck they are smoking by expecting twice as many.

Anyway, the biggest trouble I see ahead for Xbox right now is the PS4 Neo is launching this fall, along with Playstation VR.
It will get holiday season 2016 all to itself.
It will be Cheaper than Xbox Scorpio, (at least Sony will be capable of selling it for cheaper).
And its competitor will not launch until 2017.

That's microsoft's biggest issue, Scorpio will be Microsoft's PS3.
Late launch.
Strong, but expensive.
>>
>>340537840
Nah, as someone who sells phones as a living, Marshmallow is the best mobile platform out there period, followed closely by BB10. Android phones are only laggy when manufacturers bloat it with a shitty skin, and really that's only still an issue with Samsung. Not only is iOS gimped, but the tiny amount of ram available makes it crash like a motherfucker, Windows on ARM is useless. You're a shill.
>>
>>340537906
You would get a gold medal for mental gymnastics if it was an event. You do know Google is an advertising company right? They only want your info to figure out what adds they could sell you, Id any MS is trying to improve your computing with your info

>>340538092
>Avoided the question

I dunno why I even bother, I know your a helpless contrarian/fedora tipper only hating on it to earn cool boy points on the internet
>>
Listen to me you fuckshits.

Microsoft doesn't CARE about the PC gaming scene. Not in the slightest. They specifically designed the Windows Store to be as much of a hassle as possible so that they can show their stockholders and say "SEE? WE TOLD YOU PC GAMING IS DEAD, WE NEED TO KEEP XBOX!" You don't just COINCIDENTALLY make GFWL, and COINCIDENTALLY port nothing but old games, and those games COINCIDENTALLY run like shit. You don't COINCIDENTALLY make a storefront as shitty as Windows Store, and COINCIDENTALLY port nothing but old games with performance issues, and add insult to injury by giving PC gamers Halo 5s map maker so that they make stages for a game they won't get.

Microsoft wants to believe that PC gaming is an endeavor not worth pursuing, and their own experience has told them that they're right. If Microsoft pulled out of the console market, they would hand Sony the console market on a gold platter, and not a single game would come to PC.
>>
>>340537997
Not if you Downloaded it from the Win10 store, couldn;t even remove it from program files.

Had to open up a separate Xbox related app in the bottom left to delete it. An app, that I didn't use to Download it with, nor ever used before.
>>
>>340538158
Its not about Microsft dying because we can all agree Windows>Linux and Mac.

Its about how FUCKING shit is the store
>>
>>340538069
I use gentoo and it is okay. It can do everything as long as you don't need some specialised professional software. Huge pain in the ass to configure, though. The catch is, ubuntu or likes are even more of a pain in the ass.

Still better than using Win10.
>>
>>340538135
security and new features you double nigger. This comment is so dumb that I hope you're an underage shit. You don't have to like an OS to see the benefits. I saw the benefits of 8 even though its a bloated piece of shit. open your mind child and maybe you can contribute something productive to the conversation
>>
>>340537949
>because an average PC user is too dumb to use Linux, even "user-friendly" distributives like Ubuntu.
It doesn't matter how easy or hard Linux is, it's just shit for gaming compared to Windows. It's only usable for old games or indie games. You don't get the same amount of AMD/Nvidia features, you always end up getting minor issues like framerate drops, stuttering, random crashes after an update (Valve games break all the time, despite Valve being the #1 supporter of Linux gaming). hardware/software support isn't there, WINE is shit for anything new, even Linux native games usually don't have all the features of their Windows counterparts. The Linux gaming enviroment simply isn't there. Why should you pay the same amount of money for PC hardware, and then not be able to get your money's worth, either with performance or features. Windows is simply better, and if you're spending, $1000 on a desktop, you're going to use what's better.
>>
>>340538135
10 has more ways for Microsoft to generate revenue and they're killing Windows 7 in about three and a half years.
>>
>>340538214
But Xbox is dying too...
>>
>>340538146

>gamers just wanted to PLAY FUCKING GAMES

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 2016-06-09 (2).png (1 MB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-09 (2).png
1 MB, 1366x768
>>340531443

They should think in better diversity of games, all those are the top popular of Win Store
>>
M$ isn't dying anytime soon because of video games . Are you all retarded.
>>
>>340538167
>PS4 Neo is launching this fall
I'm pretty sure it'll have a 2017 release date with a PSVR bundle.
>>
>>340538279
>Ubuntu
>hard to use

I'm a life long windows user and only tried out Ubuntu out of curiosity. It was just as easy to install and use as Windows.
>>
>>340537485
>its just not as friendly or easy to find fixes as with windows.

I think it is, actually it is often better, it depend on the issue

what I like is that while the solution on windows is often to install some kind of thing to fix the issue, sometimes safely from micrsoft themselves, on linux you get told to either download and run a file, like the windows solution, or enter a line of code yourself, maybe with some extra variables for advanced users, and you also get the option to learn what this is and what it does and why you should change it etc

but, if you want the windows solution, download the file and double click it just the same
>>
>>340534001
I'd like to see the stats for which OSs buy the most games
would probably be like 90% W7 users because the W10 ones are inept
>>
>kotaku source
>ITS OKAY BECAUSE ITS SHITTING ON LE MICRO$OFT!!!

holy shit you people are tools
>>
>>340538372
Yes. This is /v/
>>
>>340536356
This. One of company desktop got this and now it cannot boot.
Oh i am laffing.
>>
>>340538251
>we can all agree Windows>Linux and Mac.
No we can't all agree on that, at least not those of us who pay attention to unbiased data. Modern Linux distributions provide faster game performance in apples to apples comparisons.
>>
>>340538235
>Windows on ARM is useless
but I did anon. also downloaded forza 6 and later uninstalled it when I saw that I couldn't run it well.

just right click and uninstall.

>>340538172
LG in general the medium ranged phones are laggy as shit, I even unlocked mine so I could delete all the extra shit they install for you, and I used to work for mobile gaming company so used to use many different android phones and ios devices as well. seems like we just had different experiences with them.
>>
>>340537596
top kek
>>
>>340538306
PC gaming is a minor issue, as was pointed above. Whether it lives or dies does not ultimately matter. I'm concerned with M$ fucking up PC as a whole.
>>
File: 143324.jpg (718 KB, 1024x765) Image search: [Google]
143324.jpg
718 KB, 1024x765
Wew lad

This is why i prefer PS4 for gaming

PC is just a hassle and MS forcing people to update to Windows 10...
>>
>>340531443
I literally cannot use the windwos store.

The two times I tried to use it for games it would not let me download them, and I can't figure out the error because the store is stuck in Japanese.

My system locale is in English. Fuck Microshit.
>>
>>340537680
>think companies service is shitty and easily outdone
>HURR YOU DONT UNDERSTAND THE FREE MARKET

Fuck off microshill
>>
COME HERE

>>340537939

>>340537939
>>
>>340537590
ask them if they remember to remove the people who were forced to roll back from the list of successful win 10 installations, something tell me that every forced install is a success in their book
>>
>>340538214
>not a single game would come to PC

I hope you aren't this delusional in reality. You're saying a relatively small investment in porting a videogame to PC isn't worth the hassle because it won't generate money.

Newsflash: Software developers aren't console developers. People want to make money with their products.
>>
>>340538378
I don't think so. Playstation VR is heavily rumoured to be fall 2016.
That is the perfect time to launch PS4 Neo, whose rumours also say 2016.

Secondly, AMD is launching their Polaris this year as well, the same technology used in PS4 Neo, so the technical capability of launching it this year before holiday season is definitely possible.
>>
>>340538385
>It was just as easy to install and use as Windows.
Indeed. Just, as you use it, the problems start piling up. Something would break, and to fix it you will need a considerable knowledge of how Linux works, or digging through forums for a couple of days. Then something else breaks, and then again. At least with DIY distributions all the work is done at the installation phase.
>>
>>340537590
>Microsoft themselves came out and said the Windows 10 adoption rate was better than they had hoped.
>literally forcing it onto machines, unrequested, for free via auto-update
>adoption rate isn't at or even near 100%

I can't IMAGINE that it's meeting expectations. They've done everything short of kicking down the door to your house and holding you at gunpoint to force you to update, and they're still only barely edging out their own OS from half a decade ago.
>>
>>340537629
Linux has far less bugs than Windows and they actually get fixed too when they appear.

The only reason we are forced to use Windows is shitty software only running on Windows.

As an operating system Linux is superior in just about everyway.
>>
>>340538326
That's exactly why they're doing it. Their stockholders are telling them to jump ship, but Microsoft insists on staying on XBox, and will do anything it takes to persuade them. GWFL and WinStore are deliberate sabotage attempts to make PC seem as irrelevant as possible. Though as said prior, if Xbox fails, that means that PlayStation becomes the defacto game platform, every single game will be PS4 exclusive because no other market makes them money.
>>
>>340538543
Anon, you made a butt hurt comment when I tried to explain this was the free market. I never said the App Store was good or bad. I'm stating a simple fact

>>340538646
Ran it for like 2 weeks and didn't have a single issue. If it got games i'd run it full time
>>
Why do they keep making new OSes? Like, they put out a shit one, then made a good one, then a bad one, THEN A GOOD ONE, then a bad one THEN A BAD ONE. They fucked up their own Star Trek Movie quality patterns.

Why don't they just stop? Clearly there is no market for it.
>>
>>340532591
>doesn't work in linux
>worth using

pick one
>>
>>340538646
On Windows when something breaks you have to google how to avoid the problem forever because there is never any fix, and it's just part of using a computer.

On Linux when something breaks you complain that you can actually fix it and google will tell you how, but you have to type some shit into terminal.

Windows fags everyone.
>>
>>340538475
Fair enough, I can't disagree there. It's a shame Google isn't more strict about what manufacturers can do to their Android installs. Bad experiences are very common with the phones, but the OS it's self is not at fault. I'm actually using a LG Nexus 5 myself, so maybe I'm biased, but that's just what I see at my job.
>>
>>340538613
But PC sales always have been, and always will be, far smaller than console sales. There will be no need for 'some extra bucks' when they only have precisely one platform that makes money. Sony dominates Japan, and thus all Jap devs are Sony exclusive. Only reason western games cone to PC and XBox is because those platforms are relevant in the west.
>>
Why the fuck would you try to lock shit behind that garbage Windows store?

Put stuff like Quantum Break and Scalebound on Steam, and then put a little notice next to it.
*requires Windows 10

You can't win them all Microsoft, stop trying to be EA and accept that asking people to upgrade to W10 is bad enough as it is, Windows store is salt in the wound.
>>
>>340538069
why?

for the average user any OS that offer a web browser is good enough
>>
>>340538836
Windows breaks much more seldom compared to Linux, in general. Though you are correct, in Linux everything can be fixed with some effort. The amount of effort may vary.
>>
I'm glad if microsoft dies. Fuck them for windows 10
>>
https://steamdb.info/app/236870/history/

Latest game confirmed as coming for Linux. Only problem is its probably being ported by Feral Interactive and the quality of their ports has been sub-par recently.
>>
>>340533418
Vulkan is still missing basic features
But with DX12 currently being irrelevant Vulkan could succeed if it gets finished in time
>>
>>340539067
Steamfags are so butthurt.
>>
>>340539067
Whats wrong with Windows 10?
>>
So if I really and truly don't give a shit about my online privacy, which I obviously don't considering I have a smartphone, Google account, and a Facebook, is Win 10 worth upgrading to for anything besides the security updates?
>>
>>340539110

You're mistaken

These are all mostly sonyggers
>>
>>340538921
>You can't win them all Microsoft
They have never understood this and most likely never will when it comes to gaming.
>>
>>340538101
>for most people linux is better than windows simply because it comes with more basic software and functionality out of the box, the vast majority do not have the need for any specific program that only run on windows 7 64 bit or anything like that, they need a browser and maybe to write a document, and that is if they don't use the browser for that too through google docs or something.
I completely agree. There are certain Linux distributions which work perfectly fine within that sphere of office/internet type programs they come with. As soon as you're trying to do something out of the box you're going to run into trouble.
>>
>>340539016
Oh Windows breaks pretty frequently, its just usually either something users can quickly learn to ignore, or something that they have to send back to the OEM to fix.

Most of the problems I've seen with users on Linux is from doing things that you wouldn't even think about on Windows like running important software like drivers straight from Git with no QA.
>>
>>340538646
my experience with linux is that if you configure it right the first time it hardly ever breaks.

the problems can appear if you want to connect a device or something, but once that device work it works better than it ever did on windows.

I have many examples of having driver issues with windows too where booting linux made it plug and play.
>>
>>340539160
It's a threat to their Steam program.

What will they do if they can no longer show off their wall of games (which they only buy and never play) to their friends?

Microsoft is being evil and anti social.
>>
>>340539173
I find it to be the fastest and smoothest of all the Windows. Also does a great job of keeping the install unfucked so you really dont have to reinstall windows anymore
>>
>>340539160
Botnet.

And yes I have something to hide. It's called torrents. I'm not installing some traitor software on my computer.
>>
>>340538316
You think the government will allow them to do that? They're using old versions of Windows and they're not going to spend a fuckload of money to install Windows 10 on all their platforms and re-train their staff.
>>
>>340539016
most of the time the effort is copy paste, compared to downloading and running a exe file

though it is more and more common to offer a script you can run, probably to make windows users feel more at home by letting them keep their habits is my guess
>>
>>340531443
>“The Windows Store is a giant disaster. It’s on fire. 98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam. The same is true for Minecraft. That hurt us, too.
Fucking DUH
Nobody liked gfwl and anything available in whatever new shitty store app they made to replace it is also available in steam which just about every person who plays games on pc uses and already has their friends on.

What the fuck did they expect?
They everyone would suddenly jump ship from steam for no apparent reason?
>>
>>340539092
>Vulkan is still missing basic features
Like what? Keep in mind that Vulkan is not a complete DirectX replacement, its only the equivalent of Direct3D. There are already projects that handle the rest of DirectX functionality like SDL.
>>
>>340531443
>There are supposed to be 2x as many Windows 10 installs as there currently are.

Maybe if they didn't piss people off by force installing they would have more.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 55

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.