[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you decide whether or not it's acceptable to pirate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: meatboy.jpg (80 KB, 1024x640) Image search: [Google]
meatboy.jpg
80 KB, 1024x640
How do you decide whether or not it's acceptable to pirate a game?
>>
>>340496425
i try a game out that im not sure ill enjoy
if its awesome, ill buy it
>>
In general if I want more of it then I buy it if I don't care if no more is made then I may pirate
>>
>>340496425
It is never acceptable for a modern game release. The easiest argument: you wouldn't want a world where EVERYONE pirates that awesome new game, because the publishers will make no money, never develop a sequel and possibly go out of business.

By "acceptable" I mean moral.
>>
>>340496425
>Game comes out
>Not really interested
>Friends wont shut up about it
>Not going to drop $60 on shit that isn't appealing to me
>Pirate it

Liked it? Buy a copy.
Didn't like it? Nothing wasted, wasn't going to buy it anyway. At least this gave it a 50/50 chance of me buying it.
>>
Its never morally acceptable to pirate
However that wont stop me cause Im not gonna pay retarded prices for old games
>>
>>340496965
its more acceptable now with the overabundance of subpar videogames, what are you talking about
>>
>>340496425
Old shit is no problem.
If I like the devs I buy i instead
>>
The only PC games I play are mid 2000's RTS games so I never have moral issue against it, hell I could afford all the games I pirate it's just easier this way.
>>
Piracy is for the destitute. Ive grown up poor and i simply did without the latest vidya. And as it turns out, i actally skipped a lot of shit tier titles: Zelda Twilight princess, Zelda skyward sword, every call of duty since cod3, dark souls, final fantasy 13, every EA sports title, and more. Glad i was poor, because spensing money on THAT shit must have been disheartening for many.
>>
>>340496425
>How do you decide whether or not it's acceptable to pirate a game?
It's always acceptable as long as I can do it without getting caught.
>>
If I have money or not.
>>
>>340496425
every game is acceptable to pirate, it's not acceptable to buy games taht you cannot pirate.
>>
File: 1464374277232.jpg (91 KB, 600x697) Image search: [Google]
1464374277232.jpg
91 KB, 600x697
>>340496425
It's only morally acceptable if
>original devs are defunct
>pirated copy performs better than retail
>requires more than one account to play (fucking EA activator)
>determining if a game can run on your toaster (only if a demo does not exist)
>cash grab (up for debate)
>>
>>340496425
With the growing popularity of Youtube LP, I can tell within a few minutes whether a game is worth buying. I used to pirate games to see if they're worth buying if they didn't have a demo, but I haven't done that in 5 years. And now my backlog is so big, that by the time I get to any 'new' games their prices have already dropped.
>>
>>340496425
i generally dont pirate games that are indie
desu i pirate games that are hard to find just, so generally older games
>>
>>340498446
>>pirated copy performs better than retail

When is this not true for modern releases?

The pirated copies of HOI4 have all of the pre-order shit unlocked
>>
>>340498846
i hope doom 4 gets cracked. it ran like shit on my computer while looking 10 times worse than any other game ive ever been able to play on this computer (all setting on low of course), im real curious if its denuvo
>>
>>340496425
>Morally acceptable
If it looks subpar, if the developers are bad, if it's ancient but they're still charging a high price, if you've already bought it in some form, if the developers owe you one for taking your money for something shitty previosly, if the developers are dead and all the money goes to others.
>>
>>340496425
If a copy is completely overpriced or rare as Hell.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.