[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Cecil and Kain are used >Kain gets his mind taken over
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: Ff4_logo.png (368 KB, 1195x452) Image search: [Google]
Ff4_logo.png
368 KB, 1195x452
>Cecil and Kain are used
>Kain gets his mind taken over by Golbez and used to fight Cecil
>Cecil gets used a second time
>Kain breaks free of the mind control, only to have it taken over again
>Cecil is used a third time
>Yang, Palom, Porom, Tellah and Cid all rush to kill themselves, Rydia even points out how stupid it is and demands Cecil doesn't follow their horrid example
>Cecil is used for a fucking fourth time
>Kain gets his mind taken over AGAIN
>After defeating Golbez, you find out he was being used as well
>you go to the fucking moon on a spaceship called the Lunar Whale
>big sob story about how Cecil and Golbez are both sons of people on the moon and are easily manipulated
>everything has been orchestrated by some guy on the moon, who is easier to kill than the mob spawns in his dungeon
>defeat the big bad guy with the power of love and friendship and a crystal

Is this the dumbest story in video game history? Certainly the dumbest one I ever sat through. Thought FFX comes pretty close to it.
>>
it's a ridiculous soap opera but it's compelling because so much happens quickly and never falls into a rut of predictability
>>
Welcome to video game stories in 1991
>>
If you played this game as a kid it was amazing
>>
>>340489952
It's a cute lil story and I don't mind it. If you think it's bad then you should try playing VIII.

>>340490063
I'd say IV has the best pacing of any FF game.
>>
>>340490160

Dragon Quest IV didn't go to such ridiculous extremes while having a character focused story. And it came out a year before FFIV. There's also plenty of adventure games on PC with better writing.
>>
File: smile.jpg (7 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
smile.jpg
7 KB, 200x150
>Cecil is used for a fucking fourth time
>Kain gets his mind taken over AGAIN
>>
>>340490382

>If you think it's bad then you should try playing VIII.
I did. And while Rinoa and the orphanage parts were bad, the rest was fine. They could have done a lot more with Laguna and Time Compression was handled poorly. But nowhere near the retarded levels of FFIV and X.
>>
>>340490063

>but it's compelling because so much happens quickly
I guess.

>and never falls into a rut of predictability
What? After the first couple times Cecil is backstabbed, you pretty much expect it to happen all the time. And the game doesn't change the formula. It becomes so predictable that you can actually tell exactly when people are going to die or be manipulated just because a cutscene happens. Its as predictable as fucking Game of Thrones.
>>
File: 1454281291654.gif (487 KB, 500x370) Image search: [Google]
1454281291654.gif
487 KB, 500x370
I liked it. Only mainline title I've actually beaten
>>
>>340489952
I love IVs story, hell, I even like its sequels. You gotta remember the time it was made too to understand a lot of this shit wasn't commonplace in video games.
>>
>>340492789

>You gotta remember the time it was made

See >>340490498
>>
>>340492789

Pretty sure overly dramatic cinematics was done by Ninja Gaiden and Metal Gear already. Not to mention Phantasy Star and even Final Fantasy I-III.
>>
Best song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wm63E83EKg
>>
I havent gotten that far yet, but I just met the twins

how the FUCK am I supposed to do anything without them dying in one or 2 hits? They have fuck all health
>>
>>340495753

Put them in the back row if you haven't figured out what rows are. Also, if you're playing the DS version, you basically just have to stop and grind a few levels at various points of the game. Or in the case of the end game, about 15-20 levels. Levels in this game are rather extreme. Just gaining two levels will be the difference between not having enough HP to survive one attack or having enough HP to survive two hits.
>>
>>340496396
Also you're fucked and need to grind to hell unless you use the "augment" system that the DS added.
>>
>>340497485

I didn't really use augments until the moon. Then all of the sudden, I needed omnicast for everything. Actually reloaded a past save and wasted two hours just to get the dumb omnicast for Rosa. And didn't get dualcast because it would have been like 30 hours before.

Final Fantasy pulls that type of 'you must use a guide to know this' shit all the time.
>>
>>340489952
you didn't play xiii
>>
>>340497697
It's really some bullshit, because of the increased difficulty I think I stopped at the tower of Babel because I fucking hate grinding, especially with the slow battle rates in the DS version and Kain is fucking right-handed in the model even though spears get equipped in his left hand
>>
>>340492879
Maybe you weren't around at the time. RPGs at the time were cookie-cutter repeats., the equivalent of a themepark mmo in 2016. "Dragon Warrior 4" didn't do anything new. FFIV did something that no RPG or video game had done up until that time which was top create an epic story. It was the Game of Thrones of video games(1991) where the player had no idea where his adventure would turn next and be blown away by the progression and character development. Nobody killed off any good guys ever in tv, movies, or video games at the time. It was unprecedented.
>>
>>340498035

>Maybe you weren't around at the time. RPGs at the time were cookie-cutter repeats., the equivalent of a themepark mmo in 2016. "Dragon Warrior 4" didn't do anything new.
Sounds more like you weren't around at that time. Or were just the typical kid who only knew of one RPG series, Final Fantasy.

>FFIV did something that no RPG or video game had done up until that time which was top create an epic story.
>epic
So Phantasy Star IV and Dragon Quest III aren't 'epic' enough? Why> Because they didn't have people being killed or used every 5 seconds?

You're the epitome of a sheep. You probably think Star Wars was totally new as well.
>>
>>340498035

>It was the Game of Thrones of video games(1991)

Funny. The guy up at >>340491801 said the same thing. But obviously didn't mean it as a compliment.
>>
>>340492789
>good storytelling didn't exist before video games
I love this excuse.
>>
>>340498651
Thanks for letting us know you didn't actually read the post.
>>
>>340489952
You forgot the "they were dead but they actually aren't"-plottwists the game shits out.
>>
>>340498848

>everyone comes back
>except Tellah because reasons
>Tellah still appears in the final battle to pray for your success because reasons

Also, Golbez is literally Naruto.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.