[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Warcraft III custom games could make good standalone games?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 7
File: maxresdefault.jpg (193 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
193 KB, 1280x720
What Warcraft III custom games could make good standalone games?
>>
>>340478754
FOOTMAN FRENZY
A GOOD HERO SEIGE
>>
>>340478970
There could absolutely be a new footmen frenzy and if done well it'd be well worth buying.
>>
>>340478754
Life of a peasant with gta gameplay
>>
>>340478754
Kodo Tag, my melanin-enhanced cohort.
>>
>>340478754
Vampirism
>>
>>340478754
the many TD

i miss those good old days...
>>
Castle fight
summoner wars.
Enfos
>>
DBZ tribute
>>
YouTD

I would actually pay premium price for it
>>
>>340480057
a game like it would be cool but obviously without licensing this is bust.

The only reason it was cool was cuz dbz was cool. There were other just as good TDs. (but i loved that i could build anywhere on the map and take over multiple lanes)
>>
There is this one that like nobody plays anymore, but its called Defense of the Ancient
>>
Legion TD was always pretty fun I used to have the best time shit talking europoors with my buddy who an herod a couple months ago. He would also unstuck other players builders or pause the game right before the other team could heal their king. omg he brought me to tears so many times just laughing my ass off. It was a pretty solid game over all but I am going to miss playing it with him :(
>>
>>340480595
>DBZ Tribute
>TD
what

>>340480057
I loved that shit. I remember it was originally based on the Buu Saga game that some guy who used to make DBZ maps made.

I loved that shit so much. The Cell Saga map was great, but it was hard to get people to stick around for the whole thing.
>>
>>340481447
>custom game
>td
what
>>
Eras Zombie Invasion, or really any map in which you'd pit multiple players against a few strong players
>>
>>340479126
>LoAP
mah nigga
>>
>>340481645
>The only reason it was cool was cuz dbz was cool. There were other just as good TDs. (but i loved that i could build anywhere on the map and take over multiple lanes)

DBZ tribute wasn't a TD
>>
>>340478754
Anyone remember FOOTMAN WARS?

Anyone remember EVOLUTION?

Or how about my favorite map: HERO SIEGE GREENLAND
>>
Genesis of Empires

Dark Deeds

That one series of maps where you play as the Terran Marines and survive as long as you can picking up weapons that spawn around the map and shit.
>>
>>340479937
>ENFOS TEAM SURVIVAL

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES

WHY ISN'T THIS ALREADY IT'S OWN GAME?
>>
>>340482025
Yea it was get fucked in the ass by good guys if they cared at all to try
>>
Civilization wars
Pimp your peon
>>
>>340482680
They rarely ever did, so it was a cakewalk.
>>
>>340479417
Pretty sure this is a thing
>>
Guys, did anyone else play a D&D custom map?

One team were the DMs, the other team was the players. The DM would pick and place monsters all through a map layout which they chose and give the players quests and objectives.

Six friends + that = the most fun I've had with a video game
Why hasn't this been done since then?
>>
>>340482730
Fucking loved pimp your peon
>>
>>340482848
Because it would take hours and most gamers these days dont like that
>>
I'd probably autustic enough to buy a Run Kitty Run game..
>>
Dota.

no wait
>>
So who else remembers Uther Party?
>>
>>340480815
/thread
>>
>>340482980
It was surprisingly fast. It was an easy click+place interface. It would let you assemble arenas in an instant, and had a dedicated 'adventuring zone' which would just spawn random monsters that you would send the players to simulate travel.

But it did take patience, and restraint on the DMs part, because nothing was stopping them from just spawning a trillion watchtowers right on top of one another.
>>
Hero Line Wars
>>
>>340482680
i'm so confused what does a tower defense have to do with that
>>
warcraft 3...

what went so right?
>>
>>340483041
I still host this on east once a week. Best custom wc3 map in existance
>>
>>340478754
Peon Wars
Uther's Party
Wintermaul (Wars)
That one Werewolf game
Any of those RPG games where you can actually save and load characters
That orc arena map where you and the other players are orc slaves and must fight waves of enemies with rounds in-between to heal up, purchase new weapons, armor, etc.
Angel Arena

I wish DOTA didn't rape WCIII custom games.
>>
>>340483221
Once a week?
Luxury
>>
File: this whole town must be.jpg (21 KB, 176x285) Image search: [Google]
this whole town must be.jpg
21 KB, 176x285
>>340478754
Aw shit that dark troll face automatically zoomed on me when I opened that.
Fucking WC3.
>>
just reinstalled frozen throne

what are some goat custom maps
>>
would like to see a castle fight, was hoping there would be a proper sequel in starcraft 2 but never saw one.
>>
Fuck what was the sheep hiding map called
>>
>>340479417
Evolve sends their regards
>>
File: 2016-06-07-2336-32.webm (894 KB, 768x452) Image search: [Google]
2016-06-07-2336-32.webm
894 KB, 768x452
>>340480137
I've been working on a game heavily inspired by YouTD and a few other TD games for a few months, still have no idea what the game world's visuals should be like though so they're pretty much just placeholders I wasted time on

Code's good though and the multiplayer works pretty much flawlessly from what playtests have shown.

Also supports custom map layouts and more spawners and all sorts of shit I thought youtd would benefit from.
>>
>>340483334
Look up "Eve of the Apocalypse" if you want an AoS map all to yourself where other heroes are controlled via bots.

Another good one is Tides of Blood if you can still find it. It was the main contender to DOTA, and IMO it was the better map.
>>
Island Defense
>>
>>340483420
What? It's one of the most played custom in sc2
>>
>>340478754
>Dark Deeds

D A R K
E
E
D
S
>>
Dark Deeds was so cash.
>>
>>340483535
Evolve dun fucked up.

They came so close to the right concept but instead of building a system where the humans have to hole up and farm....

they went to some sort of shitty L4D, 4 guys shooting at 1 guy for a long time style game. That and sickening Dlc
>>
>>340482848
Vuen's DnD nigga

I played the SHIT out of this one

there was also one where everyone was a DM but didnt like this one too much
>>
>>340478754
Demise of Brotherhood Role Playing
>>
>>340482848
Couldn't this be done in Dota 2's engine?
>>
>>340483207
Blizzard released a game that ahd an amazing community building tool, the game was essentially free to anyone willing to pirate it with minimal effort.

The community building tool ment mods, maps kept the community running for a very very long time.

Compare that to how Activision Blizzard operates now:

NO CUSTOM MAPS
NO MODS
NO USER MADE ANYTHING
YOU PAY THROUGHT THE NOSE FOR ANYTHING.
NO REAL FUN, BECAUSE IT MIGHT GET OUT OF HAND AND WEL'L HAVE ANOTHER DOTA ON OUR HANDS.

Just give us a yearly $60, and play the regurgitated shit that we don't want ANYONE to continue to play for more than an few months because who will buy the sequel then!
>>
>>340484659
yeah but what about the warcraft game itself?

why is it so fun and the best RTS campaign of ALL time
>>
who else played the fuck out of The Black Road? I still boot WC3 sometimes just to play it
>>
>>340483764
>ctrl+f Island defense
>1 post

muh nigguh
>>
everything about this game was perfect. I dont know why no other game has such a good editor. What is it that made the WC3 editor so good?
>>
>>340484887
The story, graphics, and gameplay balance are what made it the great RTS of its time. The custom games and Blizzard's support of competitive play are what made it stick.

>>340484887
I still play a few custom games whenever I got a hour or so to wait on the lobby. Last time I checked, there was one or two sites which robo host a few of the more popular games like footmen, angel arena, and pudge wars.
>>
>>340485217
>graphics

this so much

warcraft 3 graphics literally NEVER ages. they struck goddamn gold.
>>
Before Warcraft III, even...

Golems in Starcraft would be a great game. I don't know why no one ever made a Golems map for WC3.
>>
File: Kr_Amazon_06.png (273 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Kr_Amazon_06.png
273 KB, 640x480
>>340485116
It was easy
It was open to everyone who had a copy of WC3
It wasn't locked behind mountains of DRM (Hello Snapmap)
It was the actual editor they used to make the majority of maps in the game instead of some retarded thing that they threw in at the last moment (Hello Snapmap)
There was a vibrant culture of creation and sharing via custom maps, which encouraged people to play and share the best maps and let the weaker maps die out . Instead of some stupid distribution system which let all the stupid shit stay relevant for years at a time while the best shit goes mostly unnoticed (Hello Steam workshop).

End result was one of the greatest content creation systems combined with the absolute best system of content distribution.

Sadly, even the best games haven't replicated both ever since.
>>
>>340484887
It was decently made, the expansion waited to see what went wrong with ROC and fixed the issues while making a decent logical continuation to the storyline.

Meanwhile; SC2, they had 3 expansions ready... even before they realised what went wrong with the first one... and the story line by the end of it just seemed like they were spewing utter shit and just wanted the whole thing to be over and to get their $60.
>>
>island defense
>gem td
I wish the gem td in dota 2 didnt suck so fucking bad
>>
>>340480057
>>340480595
>>340481447
>those games where you managed to get at least 6 people to last 3 hours

So fucking good.

WHY
IS
NO
ONE
PORTING
THAT
SHIT
TO DOTA2? WHAT THE FUCK
>>
Dark deeds, Werewolves. Pretty much the same map but dark deeds has more possible several monsters.

Here's a brief description for anyone who hasn't played them :

The map's idea is that you got 10 villagers who are all allied but don't share vision on the map. Every villager goes to build a base. And when the first night comes, one of the villagers turns into a monster. Since nobody shares vision, you don't know who the monster is until either most of the players are dead or you saw the villager turn into one. How the villagers combat this is by building up their base, and massing a military force to combat the monster. Usually teaming up is needed because one player is not enough to beat the monster, especially if he has been getting a lot of levels from killing other players.
>>
>>340486059
>FT pickers that just killed everyone at the start
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>340478754
Dark Deeds and any of the Troll Tribes. Still waiting for Troll Tribes to finish in Dota2's custom games
>>
Anyone know of any popular single player wc3 mods? I'm looking for ideas but unfortunately can't code online stuff.
>>
I remember absolutely loving the WoW arena maps.
It was really cool the see a bunch of actual WoW models, quite high quality too, in the game, and the classes having a bunch of skills from WoW.
>>
>>340486431
dwarf campaign is one of the best
>>
I was watching LotR: Two Towers yesterday and literally all I could think of the whole time was the WC3 custom map. God that was so fun.
>>
>>340486171
If Broly works together with the androids, they can handle FT.
>>
>>340486586
>Villains
>ever working together
>>
Maps that have already been made into, or inspired, hugely popular genres:
>DotA
>Tower Defense in general
>Troll Tribes (survival games)
>RP maps

So what's next? Looking at popularity, I'd guess if you wanted to make the next big thing in games, you'd copy some of:
>Footman Frenzy
>Legion TD
>Castle Fight
>>
>>340487051
what games for RP maps?
>>
>>340484241
DoBRP?
>>
File: 1334689500060.jpg (34 KB, 623x358) Image search: [Google]
1334689500060.jpg
34 KB, 623x358
>>340486171
>taking over FT as Baby
>>
>>340487610
I've always did that.
>Hosts in the game always closed FT because retards rushed with him
>most villains wouldn't be able to kill him early on, even if it's an AI that just attacks people nearby
>quickly get levels and when I'm a little strong, take over Future Trunks

So
fucking
good.
>>
>>340487610

>Being a bebi player

Holy fuck did baby fall off lategame. That cutscene when he becomes super bebi is pretty cool though.

Who was the best villian and why is it either Broly or MC?
>>
>>340487610
The game had an awesome deal of little things.
If you still had Babidi alive you could take "control" of the Vegeta player. To turn into Kid Buu you had to eat people and let them kill your buu-lings inside you.
>>
>>340487926
His huge Dark energy ball was neat as hell.

Metal Cooler was the best, but not many people could play him well, and it was easy as hell to get bullied by everyone else, especially stronger Sagas.
>>
>>340481054
>0
Hey lad, you know they're making a Legion TD 2 on Steam right?
>>
>>340488148

Ehh but bebi falls off after that. Even Buu feels a bit more fun except the super stage. Super kind of sucks.

Bebi is locked at 3x, and his ape form is not the best in pvp and is locked at 3.5, which is a gimped 3x
>>
>>340488148
>Cell (Imperfect Form): GUYS, PLEASE DO NOT KILL THE ANDROIDS
>>
>>340482730
>Pimp your peon

I really want to make an actual game based off this map. One building, it spawns dudes, you send them to die, you get monies, you upgrade them, rinse and repeat.
>>
>>340488540

>tfw get perfect form before any of the saiyans even hit level 30/SSJ

Feels good
>>
File: 3_perc10.jpg (92 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
3_perc10.jpg
92 KB, 800x600
>ctrl+f
>No NOTD Aftermath

This was the shit back then.
>>
>>340485367
Golems was fun as fuck. Civ wars and EVOLVES too
>>
>>340488667
it's a neat game, but it has a serious design flaw with how badly it snowballs. if you get behind, the only thing you can do is kill people who are even more behind. and if you're at the bottom you may as well just leave since you only exist to get farmed
>>
>>340489001
NotD already got the full game treatment. it's called red solstice, and it's like 20$ on steam.
>>
>>340483229
>That one Werewolf game
fuck Dark Deeds
Werewolf Advanced 1.4 is the realest shit
>>
File: 08246455.jpg (4 KB, 128x128) Image search: [Google]
08246455.jpg
4 KB, 128x128
Revenge of the Niggers
>>
I enjoyed Battleship I think it was called.
The RPG maps were pretty good too, it was like a fun, compact version of an MMO.

>>340483593
Good luck, anon.
>>
>>340489539
my nigga. That fucking picture too.

>Get jordans
>AK snipe the cops to steal their better guns
>Being a cop, setting up a camera and snipping with machine guns

Fuck this was so fun to host.
>>
>>340489106
The game plays great when you only have two players, but you're right about it snowballing hard. What exactly would be the solution for this? Methods of acquiring gold aside from murdering other peons?
>>
>>340489539
That reminds me of a map called Block the Mexicans.
It was a pretty mediocre tower defense game but it had good names for the enemies and that song "United States of Whatever" played the entire time.
Truly they were halcyon days.
>>
Anyone else remember Undead Assault 2 where one of the game modes was against umbrella? also those LOTR adventure maps where everyone played as a character in the fellowship was cool
>>
>>340489936
a couple ideas would be like having early neutral creeps for lagging players to farm, and to kill off their own peons so they don't get farmed or having upgrade options that might give peons or the player abilities but not increase their fighting strength, so as to allow a more skilled player to potentially get ahead even if their peons are behind.

i dunno though. mass war games got their popularity from simplicity, either option might be diluting it a bit.
>>
>>340483593
do you have water/ice towers?
>>
>>340487926
It was Broly. His moves were fucking broken. He had reincarnate for fucks sake.
>>
>>340492428
Super late game he was bad.
>>
>>340492674
Well if it reached Super Late and there were enough people left there was a good chance you were fighting shit like Vegito and Mystic Gohan.
>>
>>340492848
Just remembered that you had to slowly walk and hit rocks or something to turn into Mystic Gohan.
FUCKING HELL that map was an ocean of small details and shit to do.
I want to remake it in DOTA 2 but there's way too much shit on it.
>>
a good cooler/star or if the androids were shit or shit on they usually did alright late game
>>
>>340478754
DBZ all sagas
>>
Azeroth Wars
>>
>>340483207

Everything went right. It would be impossible to ever get even close to what Warcraft 3 was.

>heavily inspired by the already great, but relatively limited UMS scene of Starcraft
>Blizzard was a very popular company with multiplayer games when the options were much more limited, thereby giving a concentrated user base
>map editor was easy to use
>players can easily play any map by just going to the list of games being hosted
>no search engine, so no one was encouraged to "main" specific maps of course this still did occur to an extent with maps like Island Defense and Dota, but it was less than it would have been and it wasn't as significant as everyone makes it out to be
>map size limits, encouraging players to make a bunch of silly maps rather than concentrate on one forever
>virtually no regulation except against advertisers, so you are free to be as big of an asshole as you want or create the most insulting maps you can think of
>>
>ctr+f sheep wars
>no results

fucking plebs
>>
>>340493998

oh wait it was sheep tag, wasn't it.
>>
dota is so fucking cancer

i hate mobas so goddamn much
>>
>>340486171

>Future Trunks
>good

He was shit. He only had high stats, but his spells were shit and Goku was far better at rushing. The real powerhouse is Metal Cooler, who gets the best stats, the best spells and an infinite number of heroes. The only problem is that pretty much no one was good enough to manage tower building, making expos, managing a hero and packs of mini-heroes.
>>
>>340494119
Probably not going to find many people disagreeing with you in this thread.
Variety was WC3's custom games' greatest strength but idiots decided to play the same thing over and over and over and over.
And somehow it became a hugely popular genre popular with the worst types of people.
>>
Skamigo's Hero Defense.
>>
>>340494427
> worst types of people.

this is what's weird. moba players are so fucking.. bleh.

seriously, what's with moba and dumb assholes? is there a solid explanation anyone can say?
>>
>>340493880
man it sucks that Blizzdrones have the audacity to say "Activison and Blizzard are SEPERATE COMPANIES AND DONT AFFECT EACH OTHER"...

When it's so fucking clear watching the downward spiral in quality and community management ever since Activision merged with them.

They went from making extremely good top down RTS games with crazy good communities...

to ripping of team fortress 2, and trying to shill DLC for dying SC2, dead D3, and dead WoW.

that's their life now.

Fuck.

It's literally like someone I know got hit by a truck and is now stuck in a wheelchair with brain damage drooling over everything.
>>
>>340494425
I don't remember a single game where MC was played by a person
>>
>>34048605
In earlier versions, Goku could Instant Transmission out of being dead.
>>
>>340494530
It only takes 1 person to ruin a game, so the assholes both stand out and realize they have more power to ruin the game.
>>
>>340494676

Good MC are incredibly rare, and usually it isn't really just one player. How I'd always do it is get a buddy to share control with. One of us would manage the hero, while the other guy towers up all the creeps, does upgrades, makes expos and manages fleets of mini-Metal Coolers. Metal Cooler is actually about as strong as any other hero, but when you factor in the free stats from the building player and the army of mini-Metal Coolers there is just no way to beat it.
>>
>>340479417
I always thought this as a teen but seeing how evolve turned out I'm not quite sure.
>>
>>340478754
DotA
Uther Party
Perhaps an obstacle course compilation
TD compilations
>>
>>340495192

That's pretty clever actually. Wish I thought of this...
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.