[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MMO
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6
File: Shit mmos.jpg (353 KB, 1260x747) Image search: [Google]
Shit mmos.jpg
353 KB, 1260x747
So lettuce have a discussion about mmo games. I know a lot of responses are going to be >mmo but let's talk about current mmos that people are playing. Why they are fun and why they are shit. How is WoW, FFXIV, BDO, GW2 doing?

Honestly I'm looking for a fix, it's summer and all I do now is part time and gym.
>>
>mmo
>>
>>340457128
Not going to lie I'm butthurt.
>>
Any MMO currently with any budget is doing pretty bad gameplay wise, though financially they print money thanks to whales and being the perfect platform for said whales.
>>
The only one I had any fun in was Black Desert and even then I only got to level 15 before I stopped doing quests and started spending all my time fishing and leveling up my horses

XIV has a garbage community, BnS is botcity, Wildstar is dead.

Find a bunch of indies to play instead. It's an overall better waste of your time
>>
I honestly haven't been hooked by an MMO since Lineage 2 and vanilla WoW. There's so little focus on player interaction that they feel like half assed singleplayer games with a chat window. It's the worst when it has a "main story quest" that drags you along through the entire game completely by yourself and treats you like the chosen one.

So I just play actual singleplayer games.
>>
I play Eve
>>
>>340457535
Honestly contemplating BDO. What are the drawbacks?
>>
I've never played an MMO. They all look like they either have:

>3rd person camera
>shitty costume "armour" that makes absolutely zero sense
>outfits that at best have nothing to do with world building, at worst destroy the notion of a consistent setting
>swooshing colour lines whenever anyone attacks anything
>generic fantasy elements like arcane legendary sword of arcane fire
>weapon and combat systems that imply a world of ridiculous physics
>weak to nonexistent political interaction or presence
>ugly art style
>20 different races, most of them clichéd
>edgy evil factions
>the ability to carry 500 lbs of gear in an invisible inventory
>>
>>340457775
Not a true sandbox

Impossible to not get wrecked in PvP (the main draw of the game) without extreme poop socking and extreme RNG luck
>>
>>340457775
combat is simplistic. You get all these moves to combo with and none of it actually matters. Spam attack 1, dodge, spam 1+2 attack combo, win

No one socializes
>>
>>340457802
I hate to advertise for that fucker but you might like Elyria(or whatever the fuck its called) when it comes out. Far as I can tell, the game will have none of that
>>
>>340456958
I haven't had fun in an MMO since the end of Pandaria. The expansion was stupid as hell, but raiding Orgrimmar was pretty damn cool.

UO pre-Trammel/Felucca will always be the apex of what MMOs can achieve when they really try.
>>
>>340457775
It's another singleplayer MMO with a cash shop designed to fuck you in the ass if you don't fork over hundreds of dollars over a month or two.
>>
File: Client 2016-04-27 20-11-54.jpg (384 KB, 470x1363) Image search: [Google]
Client 2016-04-27 20-11-54.jpg
384 KB, 470x1363
Still playing Blade & Soul here. Game has ridiculous content. Update schedule too fast to be reasonable.
>>
Camelot Unchained was my last hope for the MMO genre until they put development on indefinite hold.
>>
>>340458423
its a shit game
>>
>>340458237
>I hate to advertise for that fucker but you might like Elyria(or whatever the fuck its called) when it comes out. Far as I can tell, the game will have none of that

There's a couple; Chronicles of Elyria, Black Death, Gloria Victis, that don't follow the wacky fantasy tropes but they are all still in development or early access.
>>
>>340457918
What is poop socking?
>>
File: 1464437412710.jpg (85 KB, 641x626) Image search: [Google]
1464437412710.jpg
85 KB, 641x626
>>340456958
>tfw friend got his shit together, almost done with university now, girlfriend and all that shit, but now he started playing WoW again

I laughed but then I cried when I saw him online on Battle.net. He was so close.
>>
>>340459712
Ask your mom
>>
>>340458402
Not actual single player MMO. You can do shit in party and do things with friends, UNLIEK that FFarbage everyone loves because 'muh catboixd'.
>>
File: frostshock.jpg (60 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
frostshock.jpg
60 KB, 960x720
>been playing a private TBC WoW server
>enjoying older comfy WoW quests without all the bloat introduced in all the more modern expansions
>get invited to a random guild
>found alot of people to group with to complete quests
>grouped with a lot of people to do dungeons
This is my best MMO experience in a very long time. I should have played it again sooner.
>>
File: dpope.jpg (492 KB, 477x600) Image search: [Google]
dpope.jpg
492 KB, 477x600
>>340456958
BDO is filled with hackers right now and the current patch is pretty boring. The next patch was supposed to release last week but the publisher is incompetent and has delayed it until unspecified date.

Avoid unless you love server wide guild politics/drama and mindless grinding with a group of your bros
>>
>>340459214
>Gloria Victis
I played that at a convention, looks cool but there wasn't much to do at that point. Hopefully that'll change
>>
>>340460163
>BDO is filled with hackers right now

Holy fuck really? This is a thing in an mmo? I'm pretty buttblasted at hackers I guess I'll stay away. I was one second away from purchasing the game.
>>
I also play Eve
>>
>>340460332
The game handles shit like cooldowns and movement speed client sided so hackers can literally spam the same skill unlimited amount of times a second.
>>
I'm playing Guild Wars. It's pretty much a single player game with chat now but I don;t think there's a better MMO currently available. Except maybe BDO and only because I've payed zero attention to it.
>>
>>340460332
Not usually, but BDO's developers had a stroke of genius and decided to put things client side that shouldn't
>>
>>340460559
has pve endgame evolved past "spam hot map events and world bosses ad infinitum" yet
>>
What was that one thing that got announced recently? Something about fags in masks and fighting styles? That's probably still over a year out but I've got nothing else to look forward to MMO-wise.
>>
>>340460709

Guild Wars anon, not that trashy sequel.
>>
>>340456958
Well the next wow expac is around the corner, so fresh content and plenty of players. Not many mmo's worth playing.
>>
>>340457535

>XIV has a garbage community

I've honestly found the community very good. But then again, i was playing assfaggots before i started this.
>>
>>340460709
Theres a full raid now
>>
Is there any comfy mmo where people socialize and the game world is memorable plus there are tons of casual fun things to do other than grinding, questing, etc...?
>>
>>340461058

No.
>>
>>340461058
2007 Runescape
>>
When will MMo's that aren't glorified single player games come back?
>>
Archeage without a cashshop, jew publishers, and actual game balance when?
>>
>>340461324
When trion drops dead
>>
>>340460126
>>been playing a private TBC WoW server
>>enjoying older comfy WoW quests without all the bloat introduced in all the more modern expansions
>>get invited to a random guild
>>found alot of people to group with to complete quests
>>grouped with a lot of people to do dungeons
>This is my best MMO experience in a very long time. I should have played it again sooner.
What server are you playing on?
>>
>>340460848
Oh right. You know I'd play still if I hadn't done everything the game had to offer a hundred times already. I really think that game represented a high point in MMO experiences. Nothing but good memories from it.

Are faction wars still active?

>>340461024
Is it difficult or fun
Does it give better gear than ascended
>>
>>340461250
Indeed, that was so much fun. Runescape truly is the most memorable game I ever played I just can't get back to enjoying it. I've tried starting playing it again multiple times and always get bored.
>>
>>340461058
Black Desert
Leveling is a second thought when you spend all your time fishing and trading from town to town in your wagon
>>
I've been looking into Albion Online. Basically runescape made into modern. But it's made the cellphone crossplatform so that can't be good. Least it'll be a good phone game.
>>
File: 1458412450903.gif (2 MB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
1458412450903.gif
2 MB, 360x270
>people claim Final Fantasy is so good
>it's basically exactly like Warlords and has none of the charm vanilla WoW had

The races all look (generally) like the same anime things while Warcraft offers races of varying size and shape. The lore is completely incomprehensible, whereas Warcraft's is just fucked up. The environments are weeaboo shit stereotypical of a Final Fantasy open, pretty at a glance but not inspiring the desire to explore or see what's going on. The gameplay is better in that it's not just mindlessly mashing hotkeys, until you realize those flashy animations actually just accompany hotkeys and they don't have anywhere near as many distinguishing toys or niches as old Warcraft classes. And that very illusive holy grail of MMO's - the ability to run around and find shit to do with other people, even as a low level - is totally missing because, as I said before, Final Fantasy was designed with the same linear level "cinematic story" bullshit Warlords fell victim to.
>>
>>340457802
Assuming you are saying all of those things are "bad" for an mmo, despite 3rd person camera not being a bad thing in any way, I can speak for FF14 and say that I think that it does a lot of things right. The armors are mostly very well designed and fit the theme of the game, which I can only think of two gear sets that are retarded and are literally just "tank bikini", and even then they aren't endgame gear. Unlike Tera where their cash shop items are shit like "police car mount" and stupid trash like that.
Most of the "legendary" weapons are all very interesting in their lore, but unfortunately that lore mainly comes with the naming and not actual text that's in the game. For example something like the "Draconomicon" for a summoner that doesn't particularly summon dragons is still interesting in context because it would have information about a certain dragon that's relevant to a new ability.
As for the rest of your points I don't really think many games with tons of shit like mmos could have things like a limited inventory system or battle actions that aren't cool or flashy without making the game either annoying or boring.
>>
currently playing ESO, black desert is on hold until ninja class comes out
ESO has god tier quests and very immersive awesome game with good voice actors

got into it after someone was posting screenshots of the achievements and it looked interesting, that was like 4 months ago still playing it

they allow player addons, just had 2 huge DLC expansions come out that revamped how game plays, and its b2p
>>
>>340461413
It's more challenging than open world content or dungeons. Legendary armor will be added in the future that can be acquired from it.
>>
>>340458423
I don't remember Blade and Soul looking this good. Did they update the graphics?
>>
>>340461872

Only played the beta but ESO was pretty fucking good for an MMO. People just bitter that it's not some giant sandbox like the previous single player games.
>>
>>340461410
ExcaliburWoW
>>
>>340461413
We were supposed to have legendary armor with raids but we've still not got that yet ...
>>
>>340462140
They just used the Elderscrolls name to entice people to play their standard run of the mill MMO. See FF11 and FF14, they did the same thing there too.
>>
>I play EVE/ESO
You faggots have shit taste. Wow.
>>
>>340460319
>Gloria Victis
Huh, early access is apparently released today.
>>
>>340461442
I think my favorite thing about Runescape that WoW could never really live up to were the quests. They were actual quests with clear goals and were actually fun unlike the usual "collect 15 boar asses/kill 15 boars/ride a barely-working vehicle to kill 15000 boars" shit WoW always makes you do. That feeling when you get the dragon shield and actually use it to kill a fucking dragon felt amazing and I'll never forget that moment. In WoW you just kill dragons all the time and they're another mob you slaughter wholesale to collect parts for some dumb goblin who wants to throw his loose change at you.
>>
>>340461609
3.0 killed Final Fantasy. 2.0 was great.
>>
>>340462604
WoW had those kind of quests once, they were called class quests, legendary item quests & attunement quests. However they nuked 2 of those out of the game and made 1 a boring ass grind.
>>
>>340462604
That problem with that is you would have less content. I did enjoy the quest lines in Runescape and they were great. Going around and looking up a guide on wiki was fun.

What sucked was grinding to get those appropriate levels just to do a questline.
>>
>>340462935
I remember. They got rid of class quests because casuals were upset that they had to earn their abilities. I miss going to the island and beating McCloud's challenge to learn Berserker Stance. Now they're getting rid of stances altogether in Legion after they've been basically nonexistent since WOTLK.

It hurts.

You have no idea how many shitter Druids I ran into in Vanilla who didn't do the quest to get their resurrection spell and completely fucked my dungeon runs over.
>>
>>340460993
XIV's community varies a lot between servers and even among some I'd say, and this is /v/ where a significant part of mentions of XIV tend to be negative experiences. People tend to be okay but they keep to their own statics way too much for me, to the point where it's extremely difficult to just find someone to talk to
>>340456958
>can't play BDO, TERA, and many other games because of region locking
I hate this
>>
>>340462341
Elder Scrolls is a franchise, not a genre. See Redguard.
I'm actually finding ESO more RPG than Skyrim.
>>
Totally forgot about Tree of Savior? How is that?
>>
Is the combat in TERA fun?
>>
I don't mean to shill but I'm pretty excited for Absolver at E3.
Online multiplayer with a focus on player interaction and hand to hand combat.
Idk if it will be an MMO per se but you'll have a consistent character that you choose styles and learn techniques with.
>>
>>340464420
From what I've seen and heard it's another questfest but with cute/nice art design. It has a lot of classes but I don't know how well they scale.
>>
I really liked tera but couldn't stand 95% of characters being the loli race. I think they have some classes locked on the loli race too, so it's a big no for me.
>>
I like SWtOR because of the lore, stories and the setting.

Never got into hardcore raiding or PvP shit. I save myself the sub and mostly RP.
>>
I still like Wildstar's housing. Probably one of the few things keeping it going, since it got a steam release.
I hear the raids are good too but I don't get into those.
>>
>>340465842
>I hear the raids are good
They're not.
>>
>>340461058
Guild Wars is fairly social and there's a lot of world to explore and complete and you can see on the map how much of the world there is to complete.

My only gripe was i got bored with what was supposed to be the hardcore content which was fractals (end game dungeons) as they only got harder by increasing your need for resistance.

But other than that its a good social mmo senpai lots of DYNAMIC events and the likes.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.