[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay, the dust has finally settled. What is /v/'s opinion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 42
File: header.jpg?t=1453305836.jpg (5 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg?t=1453305836.jpg
5 KB, 460x215
Okay, the dust has finally settled.

What is /v/'s opinion on Undertale?

Has Undertale left a lasting impact on Video Games?
>>
No, I liked it a lot though.
>>
It has nice characters, and nice music, that's about it.
>>
It was good. A 10 dollar game that was more enjoyable than most triple A releases that year.

It's really too early to tell about making a lasting impact, but i feel it will be one of those big indie games like binding of isaac and super meat boy that people keep referring to years from now.
>>
File: Hatred vs Undertale.jpg (804 KB, 4200x2468) Image search: [Google]
Hatred vs Undertale.jpg
804 KB, 4200x2468
Undertale is a shoddy, overpriced, inferior Earthbound clone with a cheap, hugely overrated morality gimmick and pixel art reminiscent of the incoherent scribblings of a down-syndrome child.
>>
I liked some of the music and I almost always enjoy meta stuff in games.
Other than that, I don't think it is anything particularly noteworthy.
>>
It's ok at best and it's writing and characters are extremely overrated.
>>
File: 1449258829903.jpg (59 KB, 395x401) Image search: [Google]
1449258829903.jpg
59 KB, 395x401
>>340444492
>implying hatred is actually good
>>
>>340444492
i honestly feel sorry for anyone who sees that image as anything more than cheap bait
>>
>>340443874
Best Paper Mario game in years.
Really though, just a fun little game with some amusing 4th wall breaking moments. I found it a little preachy at times, but whatever. The neutral run is by far the easiest even though the characters chastise you for defending yourself. Less hypocritical at least than Spec Ops with that game forcing you to do awful things and then calling you an awful person. You can go through Undertail without hurting anyone at all but it's very difficult. It's not very well drawn and it really... feels like a gamemaker game, but yeah, I enjoyed it quite a bit.
>>
Decent game but autism just went too far
>>
>>340444983

>Best Paper Mario game in years.

Explain
>>
>>340443874
>What is /v/'s opinion on Undertale?
It wasn't 15/10 liked the internet hyped it up to be but I enjoyed it.
>Has Undertale left a lasting impact on Video Games?
Too early to say. It probably will but I don't think it'll be the next Cave Story or something.
>>
>>340444983
>Best Paper Mario game in years

Isn't that Stick of Truth?
>>
File: image.jpg (107 KB, 650x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
107 KB, 650x600
>>340443874
No.
>>
it was above average but nothing really special
sadly "above average" is enough to be top 3 goty2015 though

>>340444492
hatred is pretty bad m8
>>
Pretentious hipster trash.
>>
File: 1460537197222.gif (85 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1460537197222.gif
85 KB, 600x450
>>340444983
I agree that the message behind undertale is very juvenile and black and white, but it honestly hit all the right notes for me and I can't explain why. I'm capable at looking at it objectively and seeing all the flaws but the time I had with the game felt better than the score I would currently give it. It's elements which by themselves range from really good to mediocre are alright but when put together they make an experience more than the sum of it's parts. and I haven't really played a game that's done that before. I don't know if undertale will be some game we look back on in twenty years and think of as a masterpiece or if it'll fade into obscurity and be replaced by some new indie game but I really enjoyed it and wish i could play through it blind again.
>>
Undertale was good and /v/ was having some fun threads upon is release and prior to it with the demo.

Then cancerous furfags and other fanbases latched onto it and ruined it.
>>
I've only played genocide.
Sans fight was fun but I don't have any desire to play the other routes.
>>
It pulled off some concepts that other games don't pull off well, but it's still not much more than just decent. I doubt it will impact the industry in a meaningful way, but it's likely going to have a following for years to come.
>>
>>340443874
It was the best game to come out in 2015, and I am really glad it exists
>>
>>340443874

wew lads, a "dust has finally settled" thread

Okay, fine.

Undertale was a good game, with an interesting story and moral about what it means to play video games, combined with unfortunately shitty gameplay that is pathetically easy and repetitive, except for two bosses in the entire game.

Everyone enjoyed Undertale until the fanbase went full FNAF-style cancer mode. Now it is cool to hate it, because of the fanbase ruined the image and /v/ is 90% posers.

Lasting impact on vidya? Hardly.
Neat indie game? Definitely.
>>
The game lives off irony humor, which is doing same stupid thing as usual, but occasionally pointing at it and going at length about how stupid it is to do such a thing. Depending on your approach to post-modernism it breaks it into irredeemable shit or masterpiece.
>>
>>340446093
>>340444983
I don't get this "preachy" argument.
The game isn't preachy, a single character in it is, the villain, whose entire purpose is to mess with you through fourth wall breaking shenanigans.
>>
Tried it, wanted it like it (I love many like it), but got pissed off at falling down holes and not knowing whether to listen to the game or not.
>>
>>340447036
I wouldn't say it's to preachy but the message itself is pretty childish " Killing is wrong in every circumstance, even in self defense" is a very black and white way to look at it and anyone who agree's with that probably hasn't lived a day in some ghetto hood.
>>
File: Genocide Run.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Genocide Run.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>340444492
>Implying Undertale and Hatred aren't the same game
>>
>>340448543
That's not the message I got from it.
What I got was "killing is wrong when there is a peaceful way resolve things", which there always is in Undertale.
>>
Regardless of fanbase, it's a great little game. It's important to be able to separate a game from its fanbse mentally, I think. I still listen to the music fairly frequently.
>>
>>340443874
I played it and i hated it. I believe it is overrated hipster trash.
Also i Pirated it of course
>>
>>340448543
>Killing is wrong in every circumstance, even in self defense
But that's not the game's message - in fact, in the pacifist ending Asriel even comments on how the world outside of the Underground - i.e. the real world - isn't as simple as the world of the game. Specifically, he comments that there are "a lot of Floweys out there", referring to Flowey's kill or be killed philosophy.

Remember that your character literally has the ability to rewind time. He cannot die. This is an explicit part of the narrative. It's not condemning him for being violent per se, it's condemning him for being lazy. There is literally no reason for him not to try and resolve things peacefully except being a dick.

Basically it's criticism of the lethal/nonlethal play dichotomy in games like Deus Ex, where the ability to choose between killing and not are presented as empowerment.
>>
It was pretty good. Fun, decently challenging (Only Sans and Undyne the Undying), and had pretty cool characters.

It had a lot of flaws, like the entirety of the genocide route barring the dialogue and the 2 real bosses.

The soundtrack is fucking on point, though. It's the one thing the game has that isn't overrated.
>>
File: 1402966754585.jpg (20 KB, 287x480) Image search: [Google]
1402966754585.jpg
20 KB, 287x480
It's standing on the shoulders of giants and polishing already existing design, maxing previous similiar design seem obsolete.

Simply put, Undertale to its genre is what Half Life is to its genre.
>>
I thought it was underwhelming. The main thing that bugged me about it is that no one really reacted to you killing people on the neutral playthrough except for like Papyrus and only Undyne and Sans each mentioned his death once. Killing people didn't really give you consequences other than just less content and when I went back and played True Pacifist I wasn't very impressed either. Music was good. Gameplay never really interested me. I didn't like most of the characters at all. The humor was often just obnoxious and I was left wishing I could skip through dialogue faster
>>
File: ffs.png (40 KB, 320x263) Image search: [Google]
ffs.png
40 KB, 320x263
>>340443874

what's the point of honestly discussing this videogame when /v/ only cares for it's shitty bait value? huh?
>>
There's gonna be a con in Seoul, South Korea. Just for Undertale. Wew.
>>
Certainly spawned a whole new generation of autists. It left a lasting impact on psychological evaluations for criminals.
>>
I liked it. Characters are no ME or Witcher and the game takes itself way too seriously sometimes (True Lab, Genocide) but the end result is pretty fun, it wouldn't have been anywhere as good without the music though.
I don't see it having any kind of impact and that's probably for the best.
>>
So in the human world, everybody knows that if you go up to Mt. Ebott, you disappear, right? And it's generally accepted that Chara and Frisk went up to Mt. Ebott to commit suicide, right?

So why is Frisk so concerned with going home twenty minutes into the game, to the point he'll fight Toriel over it?
>>
>>340450370
>current year
>being surprised South Korea does dumb shit
>>
>>340451389
Google how people who commit jumping suicide and survive said they felt after jumping. It's meant to be ambiguous anyway, it's either suicide or being overly strong willed and adventurous.
>>
>>340443874
playing it is not fun

yea probably
>>
>>340451389
>he'll fight Toriel
>he'll
>he
triggered tbqh
>>
>>340443874
it inspired me to start making my own vidya

before it just seemed like an insurmountable wall but if toby fox can make a shitty looking RPG that I enjoyed way too much then I can do that too
>>
File: 1465411705013.png (95 KB, 292x257) Image search: [Google]
1465411705013.png
95 KB, 292x257
>>340443874
>>
It left a lasting impact on autists.
>>
>>340451640
>Google how people who commit jumping suicide and survive said they felt after jumping.
Nigga just tell me, shit.
>>
>>340452236
They immediately regret it before they even hit the ground, usually.
>>
Yeah, nice new innovative way to make a tumblrtale thread
Im really impressed, you fooled us all all especially me.
>>
>>340443874
>Okay, the dust has finally settled.
I really hate this meme. It's getting to the point where the more people talk about the game, the more I dislike it.
>>
The game was pretty good, but it wasn't good enough to warrant that crazy fandom. It was good for, like, 2-3 playthroughs to see everything. Music was good, battles got annoying and unfair. I even skipped Sans battle, cuz the music wasn't good enough to make up for how impossible it was.
>>
>>340452431
my sides
>>
File: 1458594648729.gif (24 KB, 691x896) Image search: [Google]
1458594648729.gif
24 KB, 691x896
>literally this image: the game
>>
>>340443874
The game is actually original in a few ways, but not for the things that usually get credited. The elements that are most commonly praised are the morality gimmick which was too overt to be effective and too, well, gimmicky to be original, it was just doing what every other RPG does except then going "ha ha, we tricked you! You're actually evil." Which, again, is just a more overt way of doing what SotC, MGS2, Spec Ops, etc. have already done. I get that its trying to "shine a light" of sorts on how thoughtless the player's actions in an RPG are, but the fact that the game itself acknowledges its not a real world makes it lose its emotional impact. Stylistically, the game looks like it's a Tumblresque fan parody of Mother (which, more or less, it is). The story itself is kind of entertaining but is not original, it's mostly composed of common tropes.

The idea of combining turn-based battles and bullet hell/platformer gameplay was creative as fuck, but the game was usually too easy to really take advantage of it.

The way that the story explores the thematic connections between the routes is creative too. That's kind of vague but I don't know how else to explain it. It's something that VNs often do, but Undertale kicks it up a notch in this regard.

That's really it actually, but those are two significant elements that might influence video games in the future, which two more than 99% of video games. Overall fun game, especially the genocide route, where the story came around thematically and the gameplay finally got challenging. I also liked the "shock" elements of the route, but they lost their impact by the end. I will say that without the genocide route the game would be worthless, but Toby obviously intended it that way.
>>
>>340452165
Yeah it's crazy how socially unaware some people are after coming into contact with it. Like I go to a musician's cover video right after he uploaded a new one, since he enjoyed the game a lot and wanted to do some music for it. Yet the comment section is just people screaming about how shit it is. It's quite pathetic.
>>
>>340443874
It's a pretty stellar game for a small price.
What stands out the most to me about it is the complete translation of story through gameplay, and that's what the gaming industry needs more of. It's funny and its got some nice music.
9/10 A gud game
>>
>>340452304
Fair enough.

I'll grant in Frisk's case, it's ambiguous anyway, but in Chara's case I think it's explicitly stated they went up there to die.
>>
>>340452691
It's not explicit but it's close enough.
>>
>>340451389
>And it's generally accepted that Chara and Frisk went up to Mt. Ebott to commit suicide, right?

lolwut? People think that? Kid is, like, 10, and the other is no older. Kid was just bein' adventurous cuz his mommy said no.
>>
>>340452770
Asriel stops just shy of saying Chara was suicidal multiple times.
>>
Literallt tumblr: the game
Tumblrtale
>>
>>340452770
Thing is Chara is edge personified.
>>
>>340452691
The reason is "an unhappy reason", which is probably suicide yea
>>
File: 1458798956092.png (61 KB, 1280x934) Image search: [Google]
1458798956092.png
61 KB, 1280x934
Almost all of /v/ liked it until it became popular. I still like it and I played it when it came out so I didn't get spoiled. Earthbound did pretty much everything it did so no, it didn't really leave any impact.
>>
File: Rando and Lil Fucking Rando.jpg (269 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
Rando and Lil Fucking Rando.jpg
269 KB, 1280x960
>>340443874
Have some shit opinions...

Its character moments are pretty fun, however it does rely on the audience being somewhat familiar with current internet/gaming culture.

Gameplay is rather bland. Outside of bosses, the encounters are rather boring.

Music was great, but its not something I go back to.

The story is rather simple and the deconstruction was good at some parts and really fucking pretentious at other parts.

Graphics where ok, but again pretty bland but it did make the Omega Flowey boss's art shift more impactful

Its fandom is hot garbage shit

Play LISA instead.

It still holds up, I wouldnt say its one of gaming greatest achievements like Cave Story and MOTHER 3, regardless of the fact its on Wikipedia's "Art games" page.

Eh, who at this point still cares about Undertale?
>>
>>340453096
>Almost all of /v/ liked it until it became popular

More like "almost of all the people on /v/ who played it liked it until it became popular" because it became popular pretty fast, and most of /v/ did not play it until it became popular.
>>
>>340452930
Okay, well I guess Chara makes sense. I stopped paying attention at around the Asriel battle.
>>
>>340453096
>Earthbound did pretty much everything it did
Love this meme where everyone acts like they're super similar. The writing is barely in the same vein and the combat is completely different.

>>340453254
>gaming greatest achievements
>Cave Story
Anon, I love that game to death but you sound really pretentious.

I'm pretty mixed on some parts of Mother 3 but I can admit it's distinct enough for that I think. Still kinda prefer parts of 1 over it.
>>
File: tumblr_o3f3n85rID1sn8dupo1_1280.png (199 KB, 585x373) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3f3n85rID1sn8dupo1_1280.png
199 KB, 585x373
reminder that they are all pure and deserve to be cared for
>>
File: bfnrd.png (71 KB, 1190x948) Image search: [Google]
bfnrd.png
71 KB, 1190x948
>>340453254
Nice filename and nice game, anon.
>>
>>340453324
Yeah, but you can add the fact that there were people jumping the bandwagon and hating it just to be cool, without even playing it. And I'm sure there's tons of people who just shitpost and actually like the game.
>>
>>340453643
no. chara is a psyco and asriel almost consumes everyone in the fucking underground.
>>
People who like undertale deserve to be stalked and beaten to death when they least expect it
>>
>>340453847
I agree. What's your address?
>>
>>340444983
>very difficult
That's arguable. The hardest fight is Sans, and even when you actually get the patterns down, it isn't that difficult. It's a cute, charming game, but I wouldn't ever say it's ever "difficult."
>>
>>340453837
I really can't understand why people like Chara.
>>
File: 1454200217473.png (725 KB, 956x988) Image search: [Google]
1454200217473.png
725 KB, 956x988
>>340453837
Chara being a psychopath doesn't stop them from deserving love and Asriel calmed down.
>>
>>340453583
Yeah i'm pretty much regretting putting the word "greatest" above that. But for what its worth, Cave Story did spark a boom in the turn of the current indie revival.

However I will still say that MOTHER 3 to me feels very fleshed out and whole. Then again, this is coming from someone who didnt really enjoy Earthbound Beginnings or Earthbound that much.

Hey LISA is pretty good stuff.
>>
>>340453583
Not him, but CS was perhaps really is one of the greatest success stories in video games. It was entirely developed and produced by one Japanese guy in his free time, and is better than the vast majority of video games. It achieves a harmony between all of its gameplay elements that few other games can match, and its story and music are pretty gud too.
>>
File: tumblr_o84fqy2uly1uxo3fdo1_1280.png (424 KB, 800x1182) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o84fqy2uly1uxo3fdo1_1280.png
424 KB, 800x1182
>>340453997
I'm not gonna pretend I don't have mental issues because I do.

I've always had a massive submission complex and serving an effective demon would be nice. Plus even if they kill me they just take my soul and then I'm still helping them.
>>
>>340453997
yandere shit
>>340454059
>Hey LISA is pretty good stuff.
I didn't even address that, it's obviously great. It made me actually laugh out loud more often at least.
>>
File: 14498475398476.jpg (51 KB, 500x891) Image search: [Google]
14498475398476.jpg
51 KB, 500x891
>>340453847
>People who like undertale deserve to be stalked and beaten to death when they least expect it
>>
>>340454193
>implying
I'm buff, i'm sexy. and i'll ruin you
>>
>>340454189
I forgot to link the other anon

Fucking phones...
>>
>>340443874
>the dust has finally settled.
According to who?
>>
>>340454021
...actually it should? Actually Chara is the one killing literally everyone (even his "parents") on the genocide? How the fuck does anyone like that deserve to be "loved"?

>>340454153
He isn't affective. At all. The only thing he has shown some interest in is Asriel. Are you asriel? No? Then she would kill you instantly.
Don't be tricked by her tumblr-brand fanart, anons.
>>
File: You turned them into a demon.png (51 KB, 1202x352) Image search: [Google]
You turned them into a demon.png
51 KB, 1202x352
>>340454538
>Actually Chara is the one killing literally everyone (even his "parents") on the genocide? How the fuck does anyone like that deserve to be "loved"?
because you're the one making the decisions
>>
File: 1451260096651.png (453 KB, 597x720) Image search: [Google]
1451260096651.png
453 KB, 597x720
>>340443874
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arh0mzaQhSE

Pretty much shared opinions.
>>
>>340443874
Spec Ops does deconstruction better.

Metal Gear Solid 2 does deconstruction better and has non shitty gameplay.
>>
>>340454704
I watched that too, largely agreed. That is to say I was still strongly impressed with it but I had some complaints.
>>
>>340454704
>Johnny
My nigga, he nailed it. I'm glad he's such an honest reviewer.
>>
File: 1456179189077.jpg (2 MB, 1200x1698) Image search: [Google]
1456179189077.jpg
2 MB, 1200x1698
>>340454538
>Then she would kill you instantly.
Yea, it'd be pretty great wouldn't it? Then they could take my SOUL.
>>
>Fanbase = Game
>Graphics = Game
>>
File: deadayylmao.jpg (8 KB, 412x314) Image search: [Google]
deadayylmao.jpg
8 KB, 412x314
>>340443874
It was shit and the only non shit aspect of it was the nigh decent music

im appalled by how can someone think this is fucking acceptable after hundreds of thousands of dollars from kickstarter

Im not being ironic just for the sake of shit posting, this is my actual opinion, the game is shit, the game play is shit dumbed down

>has undertale left a lasting impact on videogames
just as much as any five nights at freddies game
>>
File: 1441480144689.jpg (30 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1441480144689.jpg
30 KB, 512x384
>>340455128
BUT ANON.

FIVE NIGHTS AT FREDDDDIESSS ISNT FINISHED YET...

WHAT ABOUT THE SISTER LOCATION???????
>>
>>340454269
you definitely just sound like a redditard neckbeard
>>
>>340455128
Radiation is amazing at music. You can argue you don't like the game itself for whatever reason but the entire OST is pure gold.
>>
>>340455273
At least I don't like tumblrtale
>>
>>340455128
He dropped the ball hard on the artstyle, for sure. It's not really forgivable when you're paid that much to make a game that takes place in a hallway that's punctuated by bullethell and dating sims.
>>
>>340455128
Sounds like someone's butthurt about backing the game. Why the fuck would it matter when you can pirate the game no problem, you don't even have to bother with torrents for this one? I didn't give a shit, I didn't even know the game went through a kickstarter considering the way it looked, but i enjoyed the 5-6 hours of me playing and beating it.

You're complaint is "They got tons of money but they wasted it so games shit. Let me vaguely mention the gameplay to make it look like the game is actually shit."

Even though i also don't agree with the faggots who claim this game is a huge impact and all that hot garbage, you're complaint groups you up along with them for over-exaggerating over nothing.
>>
File: Spiral_staircase.jpg (4 MB, 4160x2848) Image search: [Google]
Spiral_staircase.jpg
4 MB, 4160x2848
It's shit
>>
>>340443874
It was ok.

No.
>>
>>340455467
>radiation is amazing at music

yeah, his skill REALLY shows in his next game: Yiik: A post-modern RPG... :^)

>>340455960
i did pirate it because i was fed up by the overwatch of 2015

where did i mention they wasted the money on something else?

>>340455764
I didnt expect better from the art style because lol 8 bit and the demo was already out, but god damn did the visuals get tiring near the end of the game... quality inconsistence also...
>>
>>340443874
It left an impact on me though. It's still my favorite 2015 game.
>>
>>340457129>>340457129
>yeah, his skill REALLY shows in his next game: Yiik: A post-modern RPG... :^)
Well I've never heard of the game before but he apparently is making music for it.

What of it?
>>
>>340457291
Dont hear the music (if we can even call it that) just ignore everything about this game

its for your own good
>>
>>340453837
>Chara is a psycho
Only if you teach them to be one, you psycho.
>>
>>340457741
They were pretty mentally unstable before the game, to be fair.

It's just your influence certainly doesn't help matters if you choose to do genocide.
>>
>>340453997
Yandere fetish.
>>
>>340443874
> Has Undertale left a lasting impact on Video Games?

I think it will lose a good amount of it's relevance over the summer.
>>
>>340457950
Yeah, but they weren't a "demon". They were a suicidal impressionable kid who came up with a really shitty plan.
>>
>>340443874

Yeah, it gave indie devs and game gold diggers the hope that their shitty products can be more shitty and give them more money than they though.
>>
File: DO IT FOR THEM.jpg (280 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
DO IT FOR THEM.jpg
280 KB, 1920x1200
>>340458751
Yea, and that plan (most likely) included killing a significant amount of people.

I don't really blame them, from their presumed circumstance, but still.
>>
>>340458972
>significant
Six.

Just six.

But yeah, it's pretty bad just the same.
>>
File: tumblr_o2euhbbKrn1rfizaeo1_540.gif (560 KB, 540x338) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2euhbbKrn1rfizaeo1_540.gif
560 KB, 540x338
>>340459325
No I mean, they hated humans, they were probably going to go and kill at least that entire village, if not more.
>>
>>340456309
Why this image, anon?
>>
problem with assuming chara wanted to suicide and give their soul to just full-on murder: there is absolutely no way they'd know they retain their will/consciousness after dying
>>
>>340459575
I don't think that was in their plan from the start, but once they were still conscious it was possible it's a thing.
>>
>>340443874
It was okay, I found it kinda funny. Was fun to play through.
No
>>
I really enjoyed undertale and it was legit one of my most enjoyable gameplay experience last year. I just wish people wouldn't fall over themselves trying to bash it to earn /v/ coolboy points (I seriously wouldn't even be thinking about it at this point if there wasn't a meme hate thread literally every day)

I don't think it'll effect games at large, but it will definitely affect some of the indie stuff. I wouldn't mind more games that messed with genre staples as concepts.
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 326x236) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 326x236
Not really since everyone has already forgotten about the fucking thing, more of an iconic and overall better game than Super Mario World my ass, gamefaqs can eat my shit.
>>
>>340459469
I honestly doubt it, I think they only wanted to kill enough to destroy the barrier because if they wanted to go on a murder spree there were plenty of other monsters who hated humans too who would've been better suited to give their soul to than friggin' pansy boy Asriel.

Plenty of monsters down there who hated humans and would've LOVED to go on a murder spree with Chara's soul, but Chara chose Asriel for a reasons.
>>
>>340459996
Possible, but I would think the main reason they chose Asriel was because they were close to them.
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 706x706) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 706x706
>>340443874
>Yahtzee puts Undertale at the number one spot for 2015 for having the "WE R AWARE THIS IS A GAME AND UR LE NOT IN CONTROL" type story
>SUPERHOT does the same damn thing a few months after his review cane out and he criticizes SUPERHOT for doing the exact same thing memetale did

This was the exact moment he lost all credibility for me.
>>
>>340460437
I'm not saying it's the best aspect of the game but undertale handled it a lot better than superhot.

spec ops too

If the point is "doing x is bad" and your only option is to do x your point kind of falls falt.
>>
>>340443874
No, it was a meme game like FNaF.
Now that they new FNaF has stolen the spotlight back no one gives a fuck about Undertale anymore.

The game was alright, it was really nothing special though.
It was pretty much references: the game which makes me wonder how it's hailed as the peak of originality.

The music was really good, one of the few things I did really like about it.

While likable, the characters are hardly developed beyond a few things and the cop-out "Power of friendship! ^_^" ending really killed it for me.

The whole talking to enemies thing gets old fast when you encounter them every few steps. Left me wanting to kill them, but the game shits on you for that.

Genocide's grind is annoying.
>Start killing all enemies in the area
>As you start killing them encounter rate naturally gets lower and lower
>Kill them all
>Rate shoots right back up to normal just to tell you no one is there
>>
>>340460437
>undertale takes a common game exploit and explores its implications within the game's narrative
>superhot interrupts an otherwise okay game with a generic DOS interface and "game within a gaym aren't we subversive xD" non-messages

I bet you liked Pony Island, faggot
>>
>>340460753
>The whole talking to enemies thing gets old fast when you encounter them every few steps. Left me wanting to kill them, but the game shits on you for that.
You could just run you know.

>Genocide's grind is annoying.
maybe don't play genocide then
If you're so intent on playing against Undying or Sans just use flowey's time machine
>>
>>340460948
Not him but pony island seemed like a decent game.

Superhot's a fine game mechanically too, it's just the "story" was dumb.
>>
>>340460958
You earn money by sparing though, which is needed to buy things if you really want to enjoy everything the game has to offer.

>If you're so intent on playing against Undying or Sans just use flowey's time machine
I was giving a general review on how the game plays normally, not how I could just skip to the best parts.
>>
>>340461285
>I was giving a general review on how the game plays normally
No one plays genocide normally.

I ran from a lot of things and still had fine money for shit.
>>
>>340443874

Completely irrelevant at the moment. It was pretty good tho.
>>
thought it was kinda funny- jokes are a hit or miss. art was subpar, the community makes me want to stab myself with a knife, the gameplay is withstandable.

feel like this game would resonate more with /v/ if the art had the same quality as some of the shopkeeper sprites had, maybe like in the pic related

the fact that it's on pc doesn't help either. the game would work great on 3ds. maybe one day nicalis will get permission to give it the same treatment as cavestory and binding of isaac
>>
>>340460753
>>Rate shoots right back up to normal just to tell you no one is there
This is the only part of Genocide I found annoying. I understood the grinding, but fucks sake, lemme just leave the area without interrupting me every five seconds.
>>
>>340443874
I really liked it only partly because I got it for free and really the size of the game, you can download it in 10 seconds.

I kind of valued it's meta commentary on the genre, and the effects of nostalgia on the gamer's psyche.

It's solid game, but it's also a dead end, I think the message was to look at current video games.
>>
>>340461520
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr4qEf-PwJs

reminded me of this
>>
>>340461570
Yeah, especially when it's just the same message over and over again. It should have just been a one time message for the area.
>>
It's a story game didn't bother playing it more than once
>>
you guys still remember that guy who uploaded the entire OST and filled it with comments from threads here?
"Papyrus isn't autistic, but you are"

Fucking comedy gold that was. And the triggered youtube comments as well. It was just too good.
Too bad that video got taken down.
>>
File: Undyne is a tall lesbian.png (24 KB, 334x587) Image search: [Google]
Undyne is a tall lesbian.png
24 KB, 334x587
>>340462453
>>
>>340462453
does anybody have screenshots? i want to see this
>>
>>340460437
half of yahtzees complaints can be attributed to the fact that he's fucking bad at videogames.
>>
Well it was certainly the most overhyped game of the last few years. I have played it and for me it was a 4/10 maybe 5/10. Not as good as it's made out to be in any way and I honestly felt like I couldn't enjoy it properly because of the hype. People were acting like it was a second Half Life while it was just a fun little game. Also the community it spawned should be purged from the earth. Call it Memetale and give it a 4.5/10 rating and I'm fine with it.
>>
>>340443874
I dunno, why don't you ask that question here

>>>/vg/
>>
>>340443874
This game on it's genocide run needed more time in the oven. Even though killing everyone shouldn't be something rewarded, it could have at least stronger enemies that came at you more, that's what the monsters should've done instead of be like Europe now.

inb4 i'm called edgy
>>
it was a great game, except that one part where alphys keeps bothering you. Literally W H Y was this in the game? It's boring, adds nothing, and just disruptive in general. was so glad that it wasnt there for the genocide route
>>
File: 1465071134218.jpg (31 KB, 587x720) Image search: [Google]
1465071134218.jpg
31 KB, 587x720
>>340444492
The only thing cheap is this bait.
>>
>>340463356
You're not edgy, you're just looking for challenge in the wrong places.
>>
>>340446125
True pacifist is worth it
>>
Yeah, Undertale was quite amazing. As an experience, I shan't forget it soon. However, I'm pissed off about people trying to make a big buzz out of the social commentary, calling it a ''SJW game''. Like, seriously? Are you that fragile of a man that you can't take literally anything that deviates from your political worldview? Get real.
>>
File: 1364902507433.jpg (115 KB, 435x435) Image search: [Google]
1364902507433.jpg
115 KB, 435x435
The story is great.
The graphics are shit even for pixelated art.
The impact in the media is more of a scar than a actual experience.
The script sometimes is shitty and facebook humor tier.
Music is a 10/10.

I don't know.
How about they made this a visual novel instead of a game?
>>
I don't wanna tell my friends that i played this piece of trash, it would be too embarresing
>Did you fucking finish this shit?
>>
>>340462882
Last three seem pretty accurate.
>>
>>340466573
They're all accurate. I edited the original post to make it so.
>>
>>340443874
I liked it a lot and I often find myself going back listening to the OST. Very good game for only 10 yurobucks. The fact that it's gained such a bad reputation between most people on the internet saddens me a little bit though.
Also well, I think it did leave a lasting impact in the video game industry, but it will always be remembered as a very overrated game by many. Not to mention its fanbase is comparable to fnaf's or sonic's.
>>
>>340443874
It's a good game. Way overrated but a good game.
>>
>>340466734
Oh.

See, I thought it was a little too unobjectionable for tumblr. Was the original post some truly manic shit?
>>
>>340456309
RHINOCEROS BEETLE
>>
>>340459996
The only person who knew Chara's real personality was Asriel, and he implies that Chara just wanted to kill people and the whole souls thing was how he got Asriel to go along with it

I doubt he actually gave a shit about the monsters
>>
I pirated it not so long ago. It was worth the download.
>>
>>340466869
It was your standard tumblr stuff.

Everyone's a black demiqueer trans pansexual who's autistic
>>
>>340444476
Binding of isaac is so good though.

Meat boy is good to but lacks replayability.
>>
It was a shit game that pandered to tumblr and got a even more autistic fandom following. The jokes were shit, most of the "Inside" jokes were shit, the gameplay itself was an average RPGmaker game at best, and the characters had to be the worst part of the game.

The Characters were one dimension as fuck, most of the characters were pretty much trope filled characters from anime and other such media, their was nothing special about them other then the nasty furries that want to have sex with an underage goat boy.
>>
It was cute and I teared up a bit at the pacifist ending like a faggot, unexpected feels hit the hardest.
>>
>>340467015
It has one gay couple, that is literally it.
>>
>>340468349
I know dude I've played the game, I was referring to
>>340467015
>>340466869
>>
File: 1432314877552.png (245 KB, 900x851) Image search: [Google]
1432314877552.png
245 KB, 900x851
Amazing music.
Cool (albeit disappointingly easy) combat system.

Abhorrent pixelart.
Unfunny tumblr-tier "humor".
4th wall breaks in place of genuinely good writing.

I just played it through for the music. Everything else it's gotten praise for is completely undeserved. By the time the game went full self-aware with that fight against the flower I was rolling my eyes at 160rpm.
>>
>>340468349
Also you're wrong, there's two gay couples.

RG01 and RG02
>>
File: legs.gif (28 KB, 139x327) Image search: [Google]
legs.gif
28 KB, 139x327
>>340449445
>It's not condemning him for being violent per se, it's condemning him for being lazy. There is literally no reason for him not to try and resolve things peacefully except being a dick.
This. But you can't fault people for not getting it; the dialogue that repeats exactly what you just said is locked behind killing Papyrus, which most people aren't going to do.
>>
>>340449156

good job, you're a contrarian.

Of course you had to tell us you pirated it, how else would we know or care how you got it.

I don't give a shit whether you liked the game but you sound like a smarmy asshole
>>
Game is shit, porn is shit. Not even good Toriel porn.
>>
File: 1410076601592.jpg (17 KB, 215x280) Image search: [Google]
1410076601592.jpg
17 KB, 215x280
>>340460437
I'm surprised he had any credibility for you in the first place. The guy is fucking infamous for voicing fanboy-enraging shit opinions on games he doesn't even bother finishing.
>>
>>340467015

No thats what the fanbase acts like it is, it has like 2 gay knights and beyond that no one is really fucking aside from the dog couple
>>
>>340469360
>>340468349
Did either of you people even bother to look at what I was responding to.
>>
>>340443874

My only regret is that you never get to kill Alphys. or skip her cringy dialogue.

fuck alphys
>>
>>340469918
You can get her to kill herself if you kill Undyne and/or Mettaton
>>
File: MTT.gif (310 KB, 450x349) Image search: [Google]
MTT.gif
310 KB, 450x349
>>340470013
And that's the problem. Why do I have to kill cool characters in order to kill a shitty one?

At least there's fanmade boss fights to kill her.
>>
>>340470618
>cool characters

Oh fuck, have you retards actually ever seen a "Cool" character?!
>>
File: Annoying_Dog.gif (6 KB, 220x182) Image search: [Google]
Annoying_Dog.gif
6 KB, 220x182
>>340468594
>Cool (albeit disappointingly easy) combat system.

It's obviously easy so that people who only play RPGs are able to beat it, but then Toby hints at Hard mode which he'll never finish. Stupid lazy dog.
>>
File: Snowdrake.gif (43 KB, 128x189) Image search: [Google]
Snowdrake.gif
43 KB, 128x189
>>340470965
>>
>>340443874
Lasting impact, no.

Good video game? No.

Good story, soundtrack, characters and personality? Yes.

Hopefully in Toby's next game he puts a bit more effort into the actual game part of the game.

7/10
>>
>>340443874
i liked it
lmao no
>>
File: 1453141675215.png (283 KB, 880x976) Image search: [Google]
1453141675215.png
283 KB, 880x976
>>340471159
>characters and personality

You mean the ones toby took by watching anime/cartoons and placed on shitty sprites?
>>
>>340443874
It's been out for like seven or eight months, it's too early to say
>>
File: 1449542993065.png (864 KB, 1000x562) Image search: [Google]
1449542993065.png
864 KB, 1000x562
>>340470965
>cool characters
That's subjective

>>340471059
Nice
>>
>>340443874
>implying /v/ is one person

In any case, Undertale had clever ideas and kickass music, but it's a shitty, pretentious art game made for Homestucks and people who would rather discuss about "muh feels ;-;" than actually play a video game
>>
File: 1435818516568.gif (67 KB, 223x199) Image search: [Google]
1435818516568.gif
67 KB, 223x199
>>340443874
This is how I play Undertale
>>
>>340467154
>binding of isaac
it sure is a good game. But I have to admit, it has its terrible moments at times. Ex: complete all hard mode marks as the lost&the keeper.
>>
>>340474363
Also edmund is a shitbag
>>
>>340443874
The story has no meaning at all. It's just an Alice in Wonderland ripoff. And all of the Memecucks will defend this piece of garbage.
>>
>>340443874
A pretty solid game with good music and story.

It will remain like a cult classic, and one of the best RPG of the decade, but that's it.
>>
File: hype.gif (304 KB, 360x270) Image search: [Google]
hype.gif
304 KB, 360x270
>>340443874
What do you mean by "lasting impact". It's not like undertale did anything that hasn't already been done. We've had meta games, RPGs, flat characters, etc. out the ass for the past 10 years mate. Cave Story probably had more of an impact on the indie dev scene, inspiring people and whatnot.

The soundtrack was hella good tho.
>>
>>340475235
>probably

Cave Story is the most important Indie game ever made senpai. Minecraft would be 2nd.
Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 42

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.