[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is E3 dying?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10
File: 599USDollarspic1.jpg (60 KB, 425x282) Image search: [Google]
599USDollarspic1.jpg
60 KB, 425x282
Considering that it's only a week til the big event and we're having all of these big reveals right now, it seems kinda odd. Watch_Dogs was one of the most talked about games when it debuted back in 2012, so why are they showing it now instead of a week later? Heck we've also had the XCom 2 console trailer and a release date for Persona 5 shown this week.

Combined with the fact that Nintendo isn't even having a Direct this time around, is E3 really worth publisher's time anymore?
>>
>>340436980
To me it means that there will be so many big announcements that they don't have time for a Horizon trailer in the presentation, or a Persona5 release date reveal, etc

But take it whichever way you like. Last year's E3 was one of the most popular/searched for in the last while IIRC
>>
>>340436980
It's been dying for years. Companies are pulling out, and doing their own shows and events. It wouldn't surprise me if this ends up being the last one.
>>
E3 is more popular than ever, what are you smoking?
>>
The only people that think E3 is dying are contrarians on /v/.
>>
E3 used to be where retailers would decide what games they would carry (order) in the coming year. As everything moves to the digital space, this becomes less and less relevant.

>E3 is more searched than ever before!
Well, yeah, this is exactly what's killing it. Publishers don't need E3 anymore when we live in a world with global information proliferation aka the internet. They're just capitalizing on the window of the E3 time frame to make their announcements, but they're all done online. Shows are digitally broadcast to a global audience, E3 really only establishes the *when*, not the where or how, and when that's gone, E3 is absolutely worthless.

EA is having a competing event across the street, Nintendo isn't even having a digital event this year. E3 is a relic of the past. It's how the world used to operate but it's been made completely obsolete by the internet. As a business they just can't survive, there's nothing left to sell.
>>
Did it occour to you that Watch Dogs 2 was announced before hand before their E3 conference is already full?

Xcom 2 being on console isn't anything exciting or dramatic, Nintendo not having a Direct just seems to fit with whatever identity crisis they're going through at the moment.
>>
>>340436980
> Is E3 dying?
Only Nintendo is.

They're in process of rebranding themselves as a toy/QoL company.
>>
>>340437650
Nintendrone damage control since Nintendo is a guaranteed loser this year.
>>
>>340437528
or more gameplay demonstrations

Throw out a Horizon trailer to build interest against since they haven't talked about it in a long time, do a 10m long demonstration.
>>
File: 1463792334841.png (307 KB, 600x530) Image search: [Google]
1463792334841.png
307 KB, 600x530
>>340438130
>They're in process of rebranding themselves as a toy/QoL company.
>>
Yes. Every year it gets worse.

It'll probably be completely gone by 2020.
>>
>>340438218
I'm not talking about Nintendo, overall E3 is as popular as ever. Nintendo are just going through some kind of identity crisis at the moment and don't know what they want to do.
>>
>>340437650
E3 makes their money selling floorspace to publishers and developers. Popularity to the general public isn't relevant. When publishers start pulling out and having their own digital events and shows, that's it.
>>
>>340436980
it's already dead
>>
>>340438678
Who said you could reply to me?
>>
>>340436980
No. Did you even see the audience reaction to FF7 Remake last year? It was insane. Contrarians seem to underplay everything to fit their jurisdiction. Last year pretty much re-invigorated fan interest in E3.
>>
>>340438870
>fan interest in E3.
>>340438678
>>
File: Thisisit.jpg (38 KB, 584x582) Image search: [Google]
Thisisit.jpg
38 KB, 584x582
>>340438225
they actually are, though. I hope your heart is ready Anon, for your own sake.

Nintendo's internal devs can no longer keep up with the competition, even when they are already behind in online infrastructure and less technical demands. They can't churn out enough games to keep their core content.

Without even shitposting, the PS3 (three, not four) is getting more new releases this year than WiiU. That's how much they are falling behind. They can't support their (still) main system while at the same time building a library for the NX.

Miimoto also did so well. Nintendo's IPs are very recognizable by non-gamers. It's only natural they want to get rid of this type of console game making burden and get into more profitable and easier businesses. They can't compete with Sony, but they sure have a big chance with mobile, parks, restaurants, movies, etc.
>>
File: tumblr_o6bt1qYHdH1rrftcdo2_400.gif (2 MB, 400x305) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6bt1qYHdH1rrftcdo2_400.gif
2 MB, 400x305
How did Nintendo go from winning E3 in 2014 to last place in 2015, and not even showing up in 2016?
>>
The fuck are you smoking? E3 has been dead for years, the shills on /v/ that spam "X DAYS UNTIL E3 GET HYPE" are the only thing that make it seem like it still has any relevance.
>>
>>340438980
see
>>340438870

Popularity to the general public is the reason publishers get floorspace in the first place. It matters more then anything else.
>>
>>340438419
I think he meant OP
>>
File: quite.jpg (26 KB, 463x378) Image search: [Google]
quite.jpg
26 KB, 463x378
>>340439068
>winning E3 in 2014
wew lad, that's stretching it, to say the least.
>>
E3 is becoming like Black Friday....the $
"Days" of E3 are just a formality when all the companies and developers spoil all their shit weeks beforehand so there is no mystery involved. Who wants to watch a show about everything that we've been talking about since last month?
>>
>>340439315
They did, famicom.
>>
>>340437960
this
>>
>>340439068
Because they went from showing off exciting and interesting games, to showing off Star Fox Zero and a bunch of amiibo games, to just showing a game coming out next year. They slowed down game production entirely.
>>
>>340439128
>Popularity to the general public is the reason publishers get floorspace in the first place.
And yet publishers are dropping out of E3 like flies. It's so bad that the ESA hasn't even booked the LACC for 2017 which needs to be booked for at least a year in advance, so there's serious doubts about what's even going to happen next year.

Why spend millions on floor space when your primary audience all watches shit on the internet? Why not just have a stream that everyone can watch that costs you virtually nothing? You can even have the stream *during* when E3 would have been. Most publishers are either beginning to or have already made this transition. E3's days are numbered.

Do not confuse interest in E3 with interest in video games. E3 has no product. They're a venue. And better venues exist.
>>
Last memorable E3 was in 2011, and even then it wasn't about the games! No one cares about the vidya anymore.
>>
>>340439128
>Popularity to the general public is the reason publishers get floorspace in the first place
No it's not. It's closed to the public because it's not for them, it's for the press and retailers. Fanboy reaction doesn't dictate whether there'll be more.

Are you people genuinely this retarded, or is this bait?
>>
>>340436980
Been going to E3 for a while now and each time it gets a bit smaller. Generally companies prefer to spend most of their money on the conference. With the internet being what it is you can reach so much more people. People are also renting out less and less floor space. Often times if they want media or fans to play their demos they'll send them a steam key or some other early access material shit. That's why "and the demo is downloadable TODAY" or "the DLC is available NOW!" stage announcements are so common these days.
Feels like if there's anything on the floor these days it's motion/VR focused shit.
>>
>>340439023

I wouldn't underestimate the piercing autism of Nintendo fans.
They've been playing the same games for years.
Nintendo just have to keep remaking the same games and they're set.
>>
File: 1462616008361.png (85 KB, 294x391) Image search: [Google]
1462616008361.png
85 KB, 294x391
>>340439520
>They slowed down game production entirely.

No, all development was simply shifted towards NX. That's why Wii U is literally getting nothing this year but weebshit #FE and Sticker Star 2
Embarrassing, to be honest.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 292x359) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 292x359
According to whispers at the office Sony has exclusive Spidey game by Insomniac, timed exclusive from Rockstar,Crash game by internal studio and will debut God of War 4.

Publishers are FORCING to speed up announcements as there will be shitstorm next week.
>>
>>340436980
doubt it. Also, they are revealing games before E3 because every publisher has a maximum of 90 minutes (or 120?) of game presentation. They can't afford to play trailers and also show gameplay footage. I'm sure both Watch Dogs 2 and Deus Ex have a lot to show yet.
>>
File: 1465349717766.jpg (224 KB, 485x700) Image search: [Google]
1465349717766.jpg
224 KB, 485x700
>>340436980

It's kinda what happened to the VHS rental businesses. Wasn't worth our time to us anymore obviously. New tech came out. Digital. Eventually VHS companies got phased out.

Same fate might be happening to E3. This will be the Blockbuster that was once a thing until it got phased out by something new.
>>
If Nintendo isn't going to E3, then why do they have a press conference timeslot on the official E3 website? This isn't me trying to start shit, I'm genuinely curious.
>>
>>340439534
>And yet publishers are dropping out of E3 like flies.

Unsourced.

>Why spend millions on floor space when your primary audience all watches shit on the internet?

Anon no, normies aren't like you and me. They do not go online looking for video game information. Their main source of video game information is hearsay, tv commercials, and E3. E3 is the superbowl of video games, most people that are football fans do not catch every football match, but you better believe they will tune in for the superbowl.

>Why not just have a stream that everyone can watch that costs you virtually nothing?

Because nobody would watch. This shit is why people complain about Nintendo and their "directs". Because you have to seek the directs out yourself, and you would only do that if you were a Nintendo fan in the first place, not someone that is barely interested in Nintendo.

>You can even have the stream *during* when E3 would have been.

In which nobody would watch it, and even if people did, the views would decrease a lot.

>Do not confuse interest in E3 with interest in video games.

Interest in E3 is BECAUSE of video games.

>better venues exist.

Name some.
No, I mean name some PUBLIC, NOT DIGITAL, venues that would be better options, and pull in the same or better amounts of people, and that the press and journalists would find to be worth their time as well. Genuinely curious.
>>
>>340440472
Internet conference like last year. Probably paid for the time slot so they guarantee they don't overlap with other conferences.
>>
>>340440604
Well, then that combined with having Zelda playable at the actual conference hardly implies that Nintendo will be absent from E3 this year.
>>
>>340440572
You seem to be an idiot
>>
>>340437528
>To me it means that there will be so many big announcements that they don't have time for a Horizon trailer in the presentation, or a Persona5 release date reveal, etc
It's just going to be VR shit and other similar shit that isn't actual games, and most of the actual games are going to be COD,FIFA,MADDEN and the usual shite.
>>
>>340439792
Anon, its just matching the typical Nintendo pattern.
>New game console announced.
>As you start to approach the release, the previous game console games start to slow to a stop
>"Its because they are making games for the next console!"
>Next console comes out.
>Barely any launch games.

Anon, unless the NX launches 20+ games strong, it had a horrible launch with no games. Like every console launch pretty much.
>>
>>340439023
Yeah the n64 just can't keep up with the playstati- I mean the gamecube can't keep up with the ps2 or xbo-
>>
>>340437529
this is literally the biggest e3 of all time m8 its not going away anytime soon
>>
Half the games on E3 are games we already knew about before. From the new ones, a lot end up getting canceled or postponed for years. You can't even get hyped for new hardware or other shit because companies would rather make their announcements on their own terms so they don't get drowned. I honestly can't get hyped for E3 anymore.
>>
Same thing was said the last year and then boom
>>
Naysayers don't seem to understand the language. When fans say "E3", they don't literally mean the place it is held, they mean the event. And by that they mean the event of a bunch of video game companies talking about games and showing off games. That ideal was simply given a name by the place it came from. I believe before then it was called spaceworld or something like that?

What I am saying is, even if all the companies left the show floor, E3 would still continue. Maybe under a different name, but E3 (the event, not the place) would still continue because its clear to some of the companies now that this form of advertising works.

So keep this in mind, when people say that "E3 isn't dying", they mean the event, not the venue. And they are right, even though companies are leaving the venue, the event isn't going away any time soon.
>>
>>340441713

E3 is the name of the event though
>>
>>340442175
No shit, huh?
>>
>>340441713
>without E3, the revealing of new video games would still happen
Yes, this is exactly why E3 is dying. E3 has been replaced by digital streams. You can call those streams "E3" if you want to be a gigantic nostalgic faggot, but E3 was a multimillion dollar business that will not exist in the next few years. It's dead.
>>
>>340442312

Hello?
>>
>>340442358

I kind of like the fact that we have E3 because everything happens in one place and at one time so you can shitpost with other anons about it.
Then there's the potential for cringe and just general fuck ups which make it funnier.
>>
>>340440929
>Nintendo doing better in the past is somehow relevant nowadays
>>
>>340441713

I don't think anybody thought that it meant the venue.
>>
>>340442358
>Yes, this is exactly why E3 is dying.

The venue, or the event?
The venue is dying, but the event isn't.
>>
>>340442551
There will always be the potential to congregate around a specific time frame as it builds public attention. Maybe someone who was interested in Sony happens to watch the MS show because it's around the same time, and vice versa. This should benefit both companies so it's in both of their interests, and then smaller companies will latch on too because they're hoping to profit off of some of that attention too

The problem is that E3 should have made a digital show room over a decade ago. They could have made a digital platform where companies registered for their livestreams on a schedule and there would be just one place you go to watch all of them. In 2016, the opportunity to make such a platform just doesn't exist, because they've been beaten to the punch.

I think June is generally a good time to show off upcoming games because there are typically no good games released in the summer months, making it something nice to look forward to.

But if every company just agreed to have digital shows during June, would we still call it E3 even though it's not? E3 is a very real business and I'm sure they will not like these companies profitting off of their tradename so they will probably sue if the word "E3" is used officially, which means that officially it would have to go by some other name
>>
File: PS1.jpg (2 MB, 956x4916) Image search: [Google]
PS1.jpg
2 MB, 956x4916
>>340440929
Wait a minute, are you implying N64 kept up with PS1? Is this a joke?

And that GC's library was nearly as good as PS2's?

wew lad
just... wew
>>
>>340443008
The event is the venue

E3 doesn't own a patent on video game reveals, they're just where most of them occur. Being excited for E3 is not being excited "for E3", it's being excited for video game reveals.
>>
>>340443260

I'm excited for E3 and video game reveals
>>
>>340436980
It's the evolution of marketing. E3 used to help when a lot of developers were obscure and games weren't popular.

Now that console brands and big stuidos run under their own steam they gain an advantage by dropping big info before E3 to generate hype earlier and then go slightly more in depth at E3.

Yes, E3 is dying as it is becoming less and less relevant.
>>
>>340443340
>I'm excited for the LA convention center
Ok, champ, whatever floats your boat
>>
>>340443790

Thanks
>>
>>340443790
It can be exciting. Moving to a completely all-digital event wouldn't carry with it the same feeling of seeing it live on a stage. The people who enjoy the "venue" of E3 are probably the ones who enjoy the spectacle of it (cringe performances, technical fuckups, crowd reactions or lack thereof) while also enjoying the reveals of games that may interest them. Having it be a stream means all of that spectacle is gone since everything is planned and made sure to run smoothly. I think that takes away a lot of what makes E3 fun.
>>
>>340443260
>E3 doesn't own a patent on video game reveals

I know, but a big event where a bunch of games get revealed is literally called a "E3"
People are calling Nintendo's Treehouse livestream of Zelda U their "E3 conference".

>Being excited for E3 is not being excited "for E3", it's being excited for video game reveals.

You can't say "video game reveals" without bringing to mind E3. Even if all the reveals happened in seperate streams, if they all happened close together within one week, it would be called E3. If this concept was given another name, it would imply to people that it would be different from E3, which is not what people would want.

The situation is being caused by simplification really. Imagine this:

>Person goes to Walmart
>Talks to person at the electronic center
>"Yes, I would like to buy the Wii 2."
>"Yes, here is your Wii U to buy."
>"No, I want the Wii 2. I don't know what the Wii U is."
>"Well, the Wii U is the console after the Wii."
>"No, that's the Wii 2. Isn't it just a Wii with more games?"
>"Well, yes and no..."
>"What? Which is it then? Is it the Wii, or isn't it?"
>"Well ma'am, its not a Wii."
>"Oh. I was going to buy it to play Wii Sports, but if its not a Wii, I don't want it. Goodbye."

So yes, to a bunch of people, a event where a bunch of games get revealed is considered a "E3". You could call them names, but its more accurate to say they are just un informed. Well, there was no name of this sort of thing in the first place before it was given one.
>>
E3 isn't dying, it just means less now

We have already had the highs and lows of E3, there isn't really anything it can do to top itself and it isn't exactly a unique thing any more. Hell we don't have to even wait for these events to get exciting game reveals any more. And everything leaked or a substantial rumour before hand anyway so we never get surprised any more

Plus what it shows is nearly never representative of the actual product, even full gameplay isn't as it is all staged and we know it.
>>
E3 began dying the moment they started getting rid of booth babes. If I have to listen to some jackass drone on/overhype a mediocre game I would like a pair of tits bouncing near my face if possible
>>
>>340440572
>> Anon no, normies aren't like you and me. They do not go online looking for video game information. Their main source of video game information is hearsay, tv commercials, and E3. E3 is the superbowl of video games, most people that are football fans do not catch every football match, but you better believe they will tune in for the superbowl.

What?

Is this these threads we pretend we're in 1998 or somenthing?
>>
E3 isn't dying and everybody saying it is are idiots. There we go.
>>
I really hope this is a one year thing. E3 has been for so many years my favorite yearly event. I love seeing the game announcements and disastrous attempts at marketing. Honestly i'm very dissapointed this year's trend of everyone announcing everything before the conference. It feels like it won't be nearly as much fun since we already know so much.
>>
Honestly I don't even care much about new games anymore but it's scary how much they're revealing beforehand, makes me think we'll barely have actual gaming related stuff. At least I hope it's good on the memes.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.