[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do games actually get marketed on /v/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11
File: image.jpg (39 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
39 KB, 853x480
Do games actually get marketed on /v/?
>>
Do phoneposters ever make good threads?
>>
I'm sure that some accusations of marketing have been legitimate, but they're in the extreme minority.
>>
I can see indie devs doing it, but I doubt most publishers bother with this place.
>>
No. It's just a nu-/v/ meme.
>>
Yes.
>>
File: 1444074060429.jpg (870 KB, 2000x1342) Image search: [Google]
1444074060429.jpg
870 KB, 2000x1342
>>340435315
yes little loli now leave to a safer place.
>>
>>340435315
Stop shilling your Chinese cartoons.
>>
>>340435315
sometimes.
most of the times it's just people falling for bait or retards that can't comprehend that if a game is popular there's going to be lots of people talking about it.
>>
Actual marketingfag here, it takes about half a second to realize that shilling on a board full of cynical, neckbeard poorfags is absolutely retarded and a waste of time, especially given the lack of information we could collect from the board.
>>
>>340435798
That said, creators of their own games might shill them on here but no actual marketers would bother with /v/.
>>
File: 1230088955728.jpg (18 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1230088955728.jpg
18 KB, 500x500
>>340435315
>image.jpg
>>
>being this new

Does nobody remember the assassins creed locked sticky?
>>
Yes.

As of recently Mafia III is getting shilled like 4-5 times a week.
>>
>>340435315

Yes, look at the Kirby threads
>>
yeah that game who made a hearthstone knockoff was giving away steam keys a while ago
>>
It's pure delusion to think so. /v/ isn't as important or influential as the posters here would like to believe.
>>
marketers are cheap as fuck, they're just low level employees, it would be insane not to employ them, the difference this time around is how aggressive blizzard is being about it

paying 'cute artists' and meme artists, financing youtube channels like the various HOTS 'funny game moment shit' doing research on how to appear to be a part of the userbase

I would be extremely surprised if they didn't have contracts with 4chan, reddit, twitch, etc to massage things in the way they want to go, inflate views, moderate, bump, or slide intelligently. high level decisions like that don't need to be told to very many people at all, maybe only one per company
>>
File: viralling.png (1 MB, 3524x2437) Image search: [Google]
viralling.png
1 MB, 3524x2437
>>340435315
It started becoming obvious way before most people started using 4chan. There were heated debates about what could be done. There used to be an option for reporting a thread for Commerical Advertisement. There was even an enforced rule that /v/ could only have one thread about a game at any given time. Those were the days.

>>340435798
Any publicity is free publicty, and as long as you bump a thread every 5 or ten minutes you get more and more eyeballs. One intern keeping up 8 threads would be well worth the cost.
>>
and notice that this thread is obviously about overshill, and yet it wasn't mentioned a single time

which means this very thread is marketer created, most likely, and they're ready to misdirect and play word games all day
>>
>>340436164
I mean /v/ is capable of fucking shit up once in while, especially that one time...
>>
>>340435315
Sometimes. There's been more than a few confirmed cases.
Mostly there's just a lot of shitposting that people confuse for marketing.
>>
>>340435315
Toby Fox shilled here, that's about it though I guess
>>
Count the number of Overwatch threads in the Catalog.
>>
File: 1458213267188.jpg (48 KB, 550x707) Image search: [Google]
1458213267188.jpg
48 KB, 550x707
>there are genuine people here who believe they aren't cattle in a viral marketing farm
>>
>>340436404
>One thread per game

If only they didn't back out on that. A dozen threads at any time for flavour of the week hyped game X is pretty shitty.
>>
File: 1363552776153.jpg (3 MB, 2000x4256) Image search: [Google]
1363552776153.jpg
3 MB, 2000x4256
Please keep the thread bumped. I'm gonna try and and upload a thread from 2013 we had on the issue
>>
>>340436659
That or, retards who never, EVER check the catalog and just make their own topics for the current popular game
>>
>>340435375
Not as bad as PCposters
>>
>>340436164
>TV viewers aren't important or influential.
>Therefore no advertising occurs on TV.
???
>>
>>340437532
Waiting warmly.
>>
Minecraft was, and look how well that did.
>>
>>340437652
Not an equivalent comparison. /v/ is a tiny niche of people, who are not at all the same as the mainstream audience that they actually do want to market to.
>>
File: 1421640325227.jpg (104 KB, 853x469) Image search: [Google]
1421640325227.jpg
104 KB, 853x469
>>340437735
I had two archived, in fact. Wasn't smart enough to keep any of the images, but the content of the threads should speak for themselves. Enjoy.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/k8xuuvvw3hwwhh6/B.rar
http://www.mediafire.com/download/nt24qgj92445v2p/B2.rar
>>
Relatively large user base.
Anonymous, no usernames, no post history. New accounts on forums would immediately be identified as stealth marketers. Creating actual post history takes time and effort, and once your cover gets blown, all that effort goes to waste. On 4chan, you're no different from anyone else and you can samefag to an extent.
Very little effort required.

Why would you not market here when it's incredibly easy?
>>
>>340438348
Cynical, untrusting by nature, and majority is populated by PC users and pirates who have no interest in AAA or western games unless it is to shit on them.
>>
>>340438501
Yet something like Overwatch has 10 threads up all the time.
>>
File: 500full-moetan-screenshot.jpg (37 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
500full-moetan-screenshot.jpg
37 KB, 500x281
>>340435315

Sumi-chan!
>>
>>340438661
kissless virgins obsessing over a shallow, garbage game with waifus
>>
>>340438348
>Anonymous, no usernames, no post history.

One of the few times where Reddit has the advantage. Accounts mean people are held to account, and no marketing machine in their right mind is going to create 500 sock puppets, give them backstories, post innocuous things for two months, and THEN try to market when they can just make another thread on /v/ in five minutes' time
>>
Anything that's on WiiU since it's a sinking ship
>>
>>340438210
Bumping for more exposure
>>
>>340438926
>Accounts mean people are held to account, and no marketing machine in their right mind is going to create 500 sock puppets, give them backstories, post innocuous things for two months, and THEN try to market when they can just make another thread on /v/ in five minutes' time
Wew lad. Do you think it's hard or something? I could write a script to do that in a few days and I suck at programming.
>>
>>340438876
I wish I knew Japanese so I could play the DS game.
>>
>>340435315
Yes, it happens all the time.
Example: earlier today 8 (eight) threads about Watchdogshit 2 were opened, a franchise that no one on /v/ liked from a developer no one on /v/ likes much.
>>
>>340440052
That doesn't mean /v/ won't hype it up
>>
>>340440052
More like...

>someone who browses /v/ goes to their favorite news site and sees news
>post it on /v/ without checking the catalog
>>
>>340440597
This is why we need the 'One thread per game' rule back and strictly enforced. A mod could easily warn someone and direct them to the existing thread for [Game]. That falls on the mods
>>
>>340440597
>implying 8 people in /v/ actually liked that garbage
>>
>>340441080
No
>>
>>340441097
You don't have to like the game to post about, anon. Who's to say they didn't post about it just to attract shitposting?
>>
File: 1423849986395.jpg (72 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1423849986395.jpg
72 KB, 640x480
>>340435941
>2008 filename
>>
>>340441245
Why do we need more than one thread about a game at any given time?

>>340441389
>It's just shitposters who want to rile up other shitposters!
I want this meme to die
>>
>>340441856
Because that's how 4chan functions. We are not a forum.
>>
>>340441080
>>>/vg/
>>
>>340442308
/vg/ was designed as a containment board for games that had nonstop threads/exposure on /v/ (Especially long-running franchises like Smash, TF2, EVE, Counter-Strike, etc. It's also why /vp/ was made). By your logic, Overwatch shouldn't be on /v/ at all, and be quarantined to /vg/. That leaves /v/ open for news and games that don't have that kind of fanbase or pull.
>>
>>340436974
Yeah... there was a time when a lot of people were ambivalent or disliked the idea of the game altogether, and suddenly we have extremely active threads about it, a dozen a day, every day
Not to mention no one on /v/ really plays games anyway
>>
>>340435673
why would you do this to a loli?
>>
>>340443306
They like truck rides.
>>
File: 1464843055324.jpg (48 KB, 470x475) Image search: [Google]
1464843055324.jpg
48 KB, 470x475
>>340435315
Borderlands 2 is the one that stands out the most
>>
>>340442880
>By your logic, Overwatch shouldn't be on /v/ at all, and be quarantined to /vg/.
Not sure how you managed to get that out of my post, considering all I did was redirect you to /vg/ if you want your general threads.

Even though it's the same game, people can talk about different things about it. If you look at Overwatch threads for example, you can see threads that are about a specific character (>>340439674), threads about power rankings (>>340420007), threads comparing it to another game (>>340419086), etc. This is what video game threads on /v/ are like. Discussions about specific parts of video games.

What your 'one thread per game' rule would do is forcibly consolidate all the different discussions to a single thread. That is what a general is, and that is what /vg/ is for. I don't know why you want to turn /v/ into a /vg/+video game related things board.
>>
I used to not believe until the release of the first Borderlands.
>>
I dont know if there are specifically people paid to stealth market on /v/, but there's no way there aren't just typical employees from game companies posting about their game on here.
>>
>>340443910
There's no reason that first thread (with how little traffic it has) couldn't be part of the /vg/ thread or the second thread in your reply. That third one is indeed its own thing.

I don't understand your point. We seem to agree all the extraneous discussion should be confined to /vg/.
>>
>>340435315
>Do games actually get marketed on /v/?
Sometimes, but it's usually quite obvious and too ineffective for anyone to be actually rustled.
>>
Only by indies, really.

Occasionally you'll get the AAA developer who comes in and gets ideas and shit (Like Deus Ex: HR and the #chan hat), but if you're gonna see marketing it's going to be about games you don't know about.

People who say Overwatch is being shilled here are retarded. Overwatch has millions of ads on TV, the internet, anywhere you look. They don't need to shill a game on an imageboard.

But indie devs with games that have no budget and few contacts in the industry are going to shill the fuck out of their game here and on Reddit, because that's their only way to market the game.

So yes, there are shills, but it's mostly indie shills.
>>
>>340445532
>They don't need to shill a game on an imageboard
But with how easy it is, there's no reason not to.

>So yes, there are shills, but it's mostly indie shills.

Speculation, not fact. Even if you don't believe most of it, the 2013 threads are some fun reading. Most of the complaints and stories are lobbied at big-budget games.
>>340438210

On that note, the indie shills usually keep it to one thread. They don't spread it into 5 threads like
>Genji is OP
>Mei is OP
>76 is OP
>What class is OP?
and
>Mercy is my waifu
>>
>people claim there is no stealth marketing on /v/
Stealth marketing exists. This is the reality. Big marketing companies that specialize in stealth marketing exist. It means someone pays for their services. Borderlands shit was real. Just like some posts here claiming that TORtanic had "great animations". You could spot a lot of posts claiming that DA2 is better than TW2.

In other words - there's no point in denying it.
>>
>>340445532
>Overwatch has millions of ads on TV, the internet, anywhere you look. They don't need to shill a game on an imageboard.
You're illogical. Phrase "They don't need to shill a game on an imageboard" is your opinion. The facts are: we've got a lot of threads on /v/ about OW, relatively simple game, and it's parent company pumped a fucking lot of cash into marketing. And don't forget that "big budget" viraI marketing agencies do exist.
>>
Pretty civil discussion today, ladies and germs. Save this thread. It may come in handy later.
>>
>>340435315
yes
/v/ has millions of unique users every month
this is one of the most popular websites in the world, full of teenagers and normalfags
why wouldn't publishers hire shills to market games here
>>
I'm patiently waiting for a "how's your game coming along" thread to shill for my indie game.
>>
>>340448396
Same. I don't start the "How's your YT channel coming along" threads, but I'll post in one if it's there. I'm not big enough to carry my own thread.

If you really wanna shill, you can go to /vg/ and show it to /indie/ or /agdg/, because that's what they're there for.
>>
>>340448396
>>340448836
That's perfectly reasonable, you don't show someone your dick unless they explicitly ask for it right?
>>
It's hard to talk about games without being called a shill.

I know shilling does happen sometimes, but I think the number of threads that don't far outweigh the threads that do.
>>
>>340448081
Really now, I always see this brought up and it honestly is a load of bull to me. If /v/ was really as influential as some people think, then why aren't all the niche games that /v/ endlessly dickrides more successful?
>>
>>340449470
>Minecraft
>Ace of Spades
>Yandere Simulator
>Risk of Rain
All started here. There's others like Hotline Miami or Chroma Squad, which didn't technically start here but the genre itself caters to a niche audience. What games are you talking about?
>>
>>340435315
meme games like overwatch
>>
>>340449442
Showing enthusiasm for a game makes you look like a shill, which invites trolling, which makes people think /v/ is all about shitposting. The extremes (Trolls and shills) are the vocal minority. /vr/ is the best place for game discussion, because it's all old shit that nobody can make money off of.
>>
No. People are just retarded to use catalog.
>>
>>340435315
Maybe occasionaly an indie dev&friends might. But 99% of the time it's just other anons doing it for free
Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.