[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't people like the episodic content? People buy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3
File: hitman.png (186 KB, 1550x997) Image search: [Google]
hitman.png
186 KB, 1550x997
Why don't people like the episodic content?

People buy those awful Telltale episodes.
>>
JUST
>>
>>340429483
It looks good, but I don't like to be stopped mid-game and wait for the next installment.

I'll buy it once it's complete with a retail release.
>>
Close to 200,000 on Steam alone is kinda decent, I'm much more interested in how many of those 196,499 people just bought the cheap version rather than the full price.
>>
>>340429806
It's not for a AAA Hitman title. They would expect a million at least for PC.
>>
>>340429806
>Close to 200,000 on Steam alone is kinda decent

It would be if it were an indie game.
>>
File: reaction4.jpg (72 KB, 396x691) Image search: [Google]
reaction4.jpg
72 KB, 396x691
>>340429483

I think it's just that most people don't realise how well the episodic structure fits hitman but because telltale did it with story based games people are silly enough to think it doesn't work for a mechanic based game like hitman.

>lets tell a narrative and have to break it into 5 parts because we can't tell a story in 1 consistent thing, break the tension up and have to recall each plot point from a month ago

This works fine!

>Lets break up each level which has little to do with the next with multiple approach vectors and a focus on repeating the content

this is apparently a terrible idea and ubisoft devs should be hung

in all honesty i think its just people being edgy and hating on ubisoft just like how people hate on division when its another really good title.
>>
Those games work as episodic games because they focus on the narrative.

Hitman doesn't work because of what it is,a stealth game focused on gameplay. People have to wait for the next mission and that mission is just more stealth gameplay.

There's nothing exciting about the new Hitman really but that's just my opinion. The gameplay itself isn't that amazing and then what's left? meh
>>
>>340430548
>ubisoft

Anon, you're drunk.
>>
>>340430548
>>lets tell a narrative and have to break it into 5 parts because we can't tell a story in 1 consistent thing, break the tension up and have to recall each plot point from a month ago

Which makes things worse because it literally means your choices don't matter cause it's episodic garbage cause your choices can't make huge sweeping changes.

>>340430767
>MUH NARRATIVE

Kill yourself
>>
>>340430767
Hitman's gameplay is superb and works perfectly for what it wants to achieve. If you don't like Hitman, that's cool, but its gameplay is great.
>>
>>340430934

>Anon, you're drunk.

You got a problem with that?
>>
>>340429781
this desu
I wanna play the game, but I don't want to invest time and money to stop halfway through so I can wait for more content and features to be added
when they finish it I'll buy the whole thing
>>
>>340430976
I didn't say that I enjoy narrative in muh games asshole

I'm saying that it works for that style of game
telltale,life is strange
>>
>>340431824
>when they finish it I'll buy the whole thing

What if it's complete shit because they didn't have the budget to make it good because of people like you?
>>
>>340430548
The problem is if the sales or playerbase is too low or the reception too bad they might potentially drop the series, or at least half ass the rest of the content. When you buy a full game at least you usually know what you're getting.
>>
>>340431985
lmao
then it's not my fucking fault? if it's shit i can just skip it
>>
>>340431985
They can rot for all I care
Give more budget to complete games like KH3 or DXMD
>>
>>340431985
That's on Square Enix then.
>>
The elusive target stuff was enough to get me into it.
One chance only with limited info makes for some fun shit.
>>
>>340430548
>ubisoft
>>
File: 000.jpg (715 KB, 2633x1080) Image search: [Google]
000.jpg
715 KB, 2633x1080
>>
>>340432315
What about if you miss it because of work? I'm left with my thumb up my ass while I watch the game's time-exclusive content tick before my very eyes.
>>
>>340432550
I'm NEET, so it doesn't affect me, but it does suck for people that miss out.
I'm hoping they release all the previous contracts at the end of the cycle just to give people another shot.
>>
Episodic structure ruins the feeling of continuity and blueballs you hard unless they're really long episodes.

Imagine if Super Mario World was released one stage at a time. And this was justified by the fact that you won't see everything in the stage with a single play so it has replay value.
>>
>>340432506
hmm yea that kinda makes sense actually

regardless of what you think of Absolution as a Hitman game it was a complete game and people were interested. That trailer controversy I guess also helped the game sell more copies
>>
>>340432168
i'm not sure how bound they are to making the content but i'm fairly sure it would be far more damaging and bad for them to drop the content than to half ass it.

but from just what was given in the first episode the game came out swinging like a mother fucker, the mechanics are solid as hell and the level design was on point.

generally giving the idea this will probably be good.

but lets say it sells badly and they half ass it, the core mechanics are still solid so you know a certain amount of it will be constant/good

now compare it to a narrative focus where its easy as hell to have an interesting and gripping intro to a game but its far harder to finish a story well (e.g. mass effect 3) yet that sold like hell
>>
>>340432506
Hit man absolution was fucking terrible compared to the rest of the series to boot
>>
>>340429597
FUCK
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.