[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>ITT: great games with occasionally horrendous game design
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: 250px-Echoesboxart_(Large).jpg (31 KB, 250x328) Image search: [Google]
250px-Echoesboxart_(Large).jpg
31 KB, 250x328
>ITT: great games with occasionally horrendous game design
>>
Literally my only complaint with this game is the ammo system, which can be blamed on Tanabe. Best Metroid.
>>
>>340404767
Examples? I can't think of anything.
>>
>>340405132
And I actually like the ammo system. It makes sense, lore wise. The Luminoth technology isn't completely compatible with Chozo technology. Plus it serves to make the atmosphere more dire and keep you from just spamming the Entangler and firing missiles at everything, like the ice beam in Prime.
>>
I remember dropping this fucking game once i had to collect these invisible keys in the overworld.
>>
File: blegh.png (17 KB, 600x378) Image search: [Google]
blegh.png
17 KB, 600x378
>having to go through the water areas BEFORE you get the powerup that allows underwater travel
>not being able to get most of the Sky Temple keys until after you get the Light Suit, requiring absurd backtracking (Prime 1 let you collect almost all the keys as you went along)
>>
File: MMhmm.jpg (91 KB, 750x409) Image search: [Google]
MMhmm.jpg
91 KB, 750x409
>>340404767
>Make a literal "source" port of a game
>It's fun, competitive and plays well
>Big engine updates are coming
>2010 hits
>Ruins everything, forces a low tick rate, changes how all the weapons feel
>Never get to play the old version again

I'm going to be honest, the Orange Box update was probably the meanest thing done to this game. You could argue that it's best to be left alone and how the game really needed it and in some aspects it did but, it's sometimes best to leave things alone. In my opinion I feel that this one should have been left be.
>>
>>340406126
Yea that sounds like Metroid Prime 2 alright.
>>
File: DAYUMMM.png (278 KB, 404x382) Image search: [Google]
DAYUMMM.png
278 KB, 404x382
>>340406367
>>
File: Systemshock2box.jpg (25 KB, 250x288) Image search: [Google]
Systemshock2box.jpg
25 KB, 250x288
The first game is a masterpiece of game design, but the 2nd game had some problems. Still an amazing game tho.
>>
>>340405132
>>340405341
>>340405394
The beam system was fine, i think most people just didn't understand killing things with one beam dropped the others ammo, and charging a depleted beam would fire a regular shot.
The issue i have with it is
>One main 'hub world' and 3 smaller worlds
>Have to collect the energy MacGuffin thing from each one + 12 keys
>The first world is almost 100% self contained, ie you never need to leave it to get the energy MacGuffin and ypu cannot (at the time) venture to other worlds
>This implies that each world is self contained ie once you get in, you don't need to leave or backtrack to others
>Except the 2nd and 3rd worlds require explicit backtracking in order to get to their energy MacGuffins, something that wasn't involved with the first world
Call me an autist, but i wandered around The Bog world for hours both when i played the game the first time and almost a decade later because of how weird the game design is. And then you have shit like not being able to swim in Dark World purple water until you get the Light Suit, which gives the impression there isn't anything in Dark World purple water when several of the final keys are hidden down there. There's some smaller shit like most of the Dark World being too disconnected and >>340405869
>>
>>340407197
Never played it but, the game as a nice soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XXZ9IpZoxk
>>
>>340404767

To be fair, that's every game ever. Nintendo especially have a lot of "what the fuck where they thinking?" moments in their games
>>
>>340404767
this is the only prime game I never finished

I remember I got stuck on some part because there was a tiny morph ball corridor in a fucking huge room that I missed

I looked it up eventually after I hadn't played for months or so but I don't think I got very far after that before I dropped it again

having to backtrack and navigate through two worlds that you could only switch between at certain locations was infuriatingly tedious when you kept hitting a dead end in one and had to walk all the fucking way back to a portal and then back again to progress

not to mention there wasn't a lot of distinct landmarks or locations to keep from hitting the dead ends constantly, not to mention the retarded ammo count and having to stand in bubbles in the dark world every 5 fucking steps through the same looking dark blob shit

I never even made it to the light suit and prime 1 is my favorite game ever so I feel like they dropped the ball pretty hard
>>
>>340407382
The beam ammo system is fine. It's basically the same as missiles, just destroy crates with beams and you get beam ammo instead or missiles/energy. So long as you manage to not miss all the beam ammo expansions you're fine.

I think the biggest problem with MP2 is how boring the worlds are. Temple grounds and Argon wastes have exactly the same feel of dry desert ruins, and they feel bland and boring. Torvus bog is also mediocre. Tallon overworld did this kind of environment way better, and the both the bog and the underground section fell like a chore to navigate, even when you have the underwater upgrade. I don't hate the dark world as much as some people but all those levels kind of blend together. Sanctuary Fortress is great though tbf, but it doesn't make up for all the other sections. Especially when MP1 has such great and memorable areas.
>>
>>340408232
I actually really preferred prime 2's world since it felt more cohesive. Yeah, it lacked the variety in areas of prime 1, but atmospherically it was easily the best prime in terms of portraying a fully functional world instead of a set of wildly varying levels, which really added to the level of immersion the game provided.
>>
honestly the dark world sections were both to long and to easy
should have been fairly rare but at the same time highly dangerous sections where you're constantly on edge and trying to get through them as fast as possible
>>
File: Arx_Fatalis_cover.png (143 KB, 250x317) Image search: [Google]
Arx_Fatalis_cover.png
143 KB, 250x317
>>
>>340409007
Not anon, but i thought 2 made less sense than 1; at least with 1 you can argue that the elevators are taking you most of the way through the planet (if that one part in Magmoor Cavern's didn't have an open area that was clearly surface level i would have easily believed that MC was actually close to the center of the planet given how there isn't any lava in the other areas) and hence different hemispheres would have different climates and shit. Whereas in 2 the locations of the world somehow all connecting and yet the Sanctuary is a million miles in the sky overlooking what appears to be Tokyo times 100000.
>>
>>340410092
shame the luminoth capitol wasn't an area
would have been neat to wade through the ruins of the metropolis of a once hyper-advances species
>>
How's Corruption compared to the other Prime games?

Echoes was a bit disappointing for me compared to the first one. The backtracking was a lot more boring, the overworld was tedious and didn't really add much to the game and most boss fights were just reskinned normal enemies with some gimmick, although there were some great ones too.

Atmosphere and level design were awesome, but overall it seems like an inferior, less insipired version of the first game.
>>
>>340410297
Maybe if the game had had more of a focus on their tech like the SF and what you said it would have been better, since the Wastes and Bog felt more Prime Chozo-esque.
>>340410460
I've *heard* it's solid, maybe better than 2 if a bit too linear and plot hole introducing in regards to MP1
>>
>>340410460
it's a fair bit more linear and streamlined but still pretty great

definitely less tedious than echoes considering I didn't even finish that one
>>
>>340410591
well the sanctuary fortress basically was all the assets made for metroid 1.5 turned into a single area
real shame that game never got made
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.