[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How good are you at fighting games
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 15
File: big ol tits.png (1 MB, 6144x3584) Image search: [Google]
big ol tits.png
1 MB, 6144x3584
How good are you at fighting games
>>
The pit of "Good enough to beat anyone locally but not good enough to compete above that"
>>
Spiral was bretty cool
>>
File: 1328416098959.jpg (46 KB, 518x496) Image search: [Google]
1328416098959.jpg
46 KB, 518x496
I'm at the very top of the bell curve.
>>
File: image.jpg (92 KB, 878x903) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
92 KB, 878x903
>>340363475
Best girl
>>
File: Kart Fighter.png (225 KB, 4096x3584) Image search: [Google]
Kart Fighter.png
225 KB, 4096x3584
>tfw no Kart Fighter remake for the NX in e3
why
>>
>>340363158
Currently Gold with the worst character in SFV

Zangief
>>
File: 1417835645958.png (143 KB, 433x387) Image search: [Google]
1417835645958.png
143 KB, 433x387
Mediocre at best
>>
>>340364184
Agreed. Spiral is underrated as fuck.

I can only imagine what she could do with all those hands. Having sex with her would be like fucking a Hindu goddess. Except she is better looking.
>>
Terrible. I've never been into them, and I'm too old to become good at them now. Trying to learn SFV, because it's tons of fun, though.
>>
I beat Primal Rage in an arcade with one quarter.
>>
>>340364586
DESIGNATED
>>
>>340363158
Pretty fucking bad.
>>
File: EXPERT!.jpg (120 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
EXPERT!.jpg
120 KB, 1280x720
>>340363158
Solid on a good day with a good mindset. Usually decent at best because i'm a angry faggot so i do certain things that cost me some matches because i made a call on my anger alone instead of being tactical about it.
>>
File: 1464358122432.png (267 KB, 499x358) Image search: [Google]
1464358122432.png
267 KB, 499x358
>>340363158

Intermediate, clawing and biting my way into high with the challenge of lacking high level opponents to play against consistently, and being disliked by the local top player clique.

Not even remotely good enough for my standards, but I consistently find new ways to improve, theorise and keep playing.
>>
>>340363158

depends on the game but Im good enough to beat my friends and a good number of casual online folk
>>
Back in the day I was one of the best MvC2 players around. You have to put a lot of time, the time a young kid into teenager has.

I basically pick up fighting games to stay current, and generally stomp people on fundamentals alone.
>>
Ive beaten UMK3 master ladder and Ive beaten MK 1 & 2 which was a major test in patience
>>
>>340365201
>Want to be better at GG/SF/KOF
>Solid/decent most of the time but having trouble breaking those mid level barriers more and more
>Pick up any shooter
>Top 1-3% quality player in no time because i grew up on arena shooters so everything is just slow slop compared to that and easy to grasp/play effectively.

Id rather trade places with those things. Especially since the shootan genre as a whole is shit now. Games like OW being popular prove that to me.
>>
>>340363158
Better than the rest, but not the best of the best.
>>
>>340365424

>Having trouble breaking those mid level barriers

What are you having the most trouble with?

How do you lose?

Do you notice any ways that you consistently lose?

Do you know how to identify gaps in your own knowledge?
>>
>>340365354

Got footage of you playing? What was your team?
>>
>>340365424
Same here

>want to be good at 2d fighters (SF, MvC, MK)
>get wrecked online but try my best anyways
>Play 3d fighter (tekken, SC, DOA)
>Own people like no tomorrow online easily but get bored because I just don't like 3D fighters in general
>>
>>340365629
Its mostly just a patience issue and blocking more often in SFV specifically. I feel like i'm a pretty solid GG player as far as things go with Ky/Faust. But in SFV i die when i try to escape the strike throw game when someone gets on me especially in the corner. Its harder because its not reactable and i have to sit there and decent to block or tech/jump. I don't sit there and block enough and end up dying because i hate the uncertainty of the strike throw game.

Other then that in GG/KOF its just a matter of better confirming on the fly/IBing better.
>>
>>340365354
Can you beat Justin Wong
>>
>>340365734
Actually, I used to have a a lot of VHS of it (a different time) that other people had collected over the years.

I lived near duc so it was mostly cable teams. My first tourney was Cable/blackheart/sentinal. Near the end of MvC2 I started running a scrubclops team (cable/sent/cyclops). I never got on the commando train, I think because where I lived (cali), magneto points were way more common than the storm points.
>>
>>340366071
went 1-2 against him back in...09? that sounds too long ago. So I don't think I could "beat" him in that sense.
>>
Good enough to beat all my friends, bad enough to get my shit kicked in on online matches
>>
>>340366021

Then I have a couple suggestions

1. For SF5, delay throw tech if you know your opponent does same time strike/throw, and backdash if you're at -2 so that their 5f medium air resets you and you get out of the pressure.

2. You have not identified enough weaknesses. If you are stuck at mid-level barriers, and you think the only thing you need to do is confirm and IB better, then you aren't identifying enough ways to improve.

There are more things to improve at than you can currently percieve improving at, and they might get really really abstract, but nonetheless important and demonstrably improvable.
>>
File: Mojo sellsman.png (1 MB, 6144x3584) Image search: [Google]
Mojo sellsman.png
1 MB, 6144x3584
who the floating head
>>
>>340363351
This
>>
>>340366114

Could you explain to me the different matchups that the different DP assists in MVC2 cover/different strengths they provide? I just know that there are multiple choices but I do not know what those choices mean for team construction.
>>
>>340366356
Well honestly i could sit here and name alot more. But i'm really stupid when it comes to such things. I live by the belief that you win or you lose. If i want to win bad enough ill just improve one way or another and if i didn't make any head way i obviously didn't wanna win.

I don't like to dwell on my flaws all at once i like to think of my positives. If someone is hitting me and beating my ass i obvious just need to do everything i'm doing but better.
>>
>>340366356
You should also note improvement isn't seen in a single day, and not to worry about trying to improve too many things at once
>>
>>340366405

It's Mojo.
>>
>>340366538
I've seen so many people with this mentality, and every single one of them has said "i want to get better, but i can't/just don't know how." I'm going to tell you, completely changing that "either i win, or i don't" attitude first if you actually plan on getting better.
>>
File: EXPLODING KNEES.webm (3 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
EXPLODING KNEES.webm
3 MB, 1280x720
decent, but never bothered with competitive
>>
mediocre since I don't practice
>>
>>340366538

RL isn't a Naruto-tier shonen where you win or lose based on how hard you try, where the key to winning is just trying really really hard on the day.

If your entire knowledge base and playstyle is understood and superceded by someone higher level, it really doesn't matter how hard you try, you won't win. When you get good enough, you just flat out invalidate players that are one-dimensional.

You need to make fundamental changes and fundamental improvements to your ability to play the game in order to reach higher levels, and that involves finding ways to play smarter, not just refine what you already to for accuracy increased accuracy.

If you're not actively seeking different ways to improve, then you won't magically get past the intermediate barrier by just trying hard enough.
>>
>>340366875
You misunderstand. I care about winning i do alot and i go into training/mental training on things that beat me very often. I'm just simplifying my goal. My goal is to beat everyone i play against and if i fail to do so i just wasn't good enough and i need to improve ASAP. Even if its just one more tool i learn to clench a match. Little by little improve.

Machaboo said it best. You have to set goal posts for yourself however small. You can't look at pro players and say "this what i have to do and become" it will discourage you. They never did that and they improved because they loved the game.

If you don't get good it means you just didn't love the game enough its that simple. I put the time into GG/SF and im a solid player fundamentally. And ill keep putting in time. Im a player when he picks up any game who looks at it mechanically first above anything. I can see applications for so many things pre release after what GG has taught me massively.
>>
>>340363158
better at defense from losing 24/7, but can't back it up since i can't drop combos i don't know or if i do learn something i CANNOT do it in a real fight due to brain issues.
>>
I get bored of them before I can get good at them
>>
>>340366518
Keeping it simple: commando had some great setups with sentinel for combos, but his attack knocked things out of the air (it goes all the way up instantly), and knocks them far back. It's why you saw a lot of it with cable, because it kept them where he liked them: on the other side of the screen.

Cyclops had about a billion invincibility frames, but his big thing was that he carried everything he hit with him. So he often was the ultimate answer to reckless rushdown, and he set up a lot of characters for perfect combos. In cables case, if you had a few meters to burn, you could just wait tell the other guy tried to approach and if he ever crossed half screen, let cyclops rip, and if he hits, just chain AHVB for the kill. He also got a shit load of assist with him. Notably psylocke on a mag team.

psylocke was incredibly fast and also had some good setup positioning. You saw her a lot for guys who wanted to do mixups, since you cross over then call psylocke and she pops right out. She also had a huge hitbox, like a big old block that you just call out onto the screen. Which also contributed to why she was used on those magneto teams so much. Just cross right over. Also set them up perfectly for those rom combos. Or with storm into her launcher.
>>
I believe I'm decent but I have two friends that I always get beaten by. They have better fundamentals and game knowledge than I do. I'd like to get better, but I'm not sure how aside from sticking to one character and not jumping around so much. I also respect people's options too much as well. I'm not really that great at combos beyond a basic level either. Now that I'm typing this out, I guess I'm pretty trash at fighting games and the people I do beat are just worse than I am.
>>
>>340367719

I can take dense fighting game terminology, so lay on the non-simple versions of those explanations senpai
>>
>>340366114
Got any of your match on zachd.com?

>>340366518
Not him, but Commando assist is full height, comes fast and dishes out a lot of damage. The full height helps Sentinel fly wherever he wants, because he uses it as a shield. And also, rocket punch + AA assist does a fuckton of damage in the end part of DHC of Doom. It doesn't knock down though. Sent + Commando = BFF
It also helps Cable a lot because of the height range. As a whole, pretty easy assist to use.

Cyclops is entirely invincible and locks the enemy down on blockstun. More useful for Storm I think with her tornado + AA assist > hailstorm lockdown chip. Doesn't knock down. Pretty good as an assist AND as a point character, which is not the same for the other assists.

Psylocke comes out super fast and knocks down, really useful for juggle, followups, resets/mixups/setups. Remember how people feared Rocket Raccoon's log assist in UMvC3 at Final Round back in 2011 or something? She's as scary as him. More useful for Magneto though.
>>
>>340363158
I'm pretty good and competitive at certain fighting games, but not good in general.
>>
Im shit in Kof
>>
File: 1464615011154.png (103 KB, 283x244) Image search: [Google]
1464615011154.png
103 KB, 283x244
>Mfw i got good at skullgirls
>>
I'm low tier.
>>
Shit, >>340367719 was faster than me. >>340368047
>>
File: megalame.jpg (23 KB, 259x261) Image search: [Google]
megalame.jpg
23 KB, 259x261
>>340368338
Mfw no one plays that game anymore
>>
>>340368338

>American

When you morons learn how to not do early resets off of c.LK starters with no undizzy, and learn how to do actually airtight setups, and learn how to play the actual top tier characters that require effort instead of just the mid-tier characters who take no effort, then you can say you fuckheads got good.
>>
>>340367991
>Captain Commando
BIG BOOM HIT ALL VERTICAL SCREEN, THEY GO OUCH BUT NO EXTRA OUCH FROM COMBO AFTERWARDS.
IT OKAY THOUGH, CABLE WANT DISTANCE

>Cyclops
THEY CAN'T INTERRUPT HIS UPPERCUT AND IF YOU HAD SUPER YOU CAN DO SUPER FOR MORE OUCH

>Psylocke
SHE GO SO FAST THEY HAVE PROBLEMS BLOCKING
>>
File: 1464835205774.jpg (25 KB, 552x594) Image search: [Google]
1464835205774.jpg
25 KB, 552x594
>>340368798

tyvm, this is perfectly formatted for my excel spreadsheet
>>
>>340369095
Don't forget: Sentinel + Commando = BFF
>>
File: 1445488437561.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1445488437561.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>KI
Decent
>Skullgirls
Decent
Melee and 4
Decent in melee, great in 4
>>
>>340363158
I placed top 8 on some old games and UNIEL at locals.

Which is the furthest anyone on /v/ or /fgg/ will place.
>>
>>340369916

I took 1st place in VF at a major.
>>
>>340370008
of which there were 2 people and the other one left remembering that it wasn't VF he was playing, it was VS
>>
>>340370323

>not even having the decency to make an empty chair joke

If you're gonna meme on me, meme on me right.
>>
>>340370446
thats the poor mans joke anon
i don't do that shit
>>
I can usually pick up any fighting game and be decent. Unless the moves are more complicated then hadoken, uppercut, Z+C,

Usually just learning how to block makes you better then normies at fighting games tho.
>>
>>340370907

Stick to the setups that work, not to dumb gimmicks that don't even make internal sense like a Vsav player mistaking VF for Vsav. Otherwise the only thing that I see is a dumb quasi-insult that flopped.
>>
I'm okay to beat most people, but I'm one of those guys who can tell you exactly what to do rum down exactly what a pro is doing, give you a entire playbook, however when it comes down to it I can't preform any high skill level.
>>
File: cheapest fight ever.png (1 MB, 6144x3584) Image search: [Google]
cheapest fight ever.png
1 MB, 6144x3584
You dare rise against me? The human era is over. the mutant era has come.

>puts on helmet.
>>
>>340372352
Did that game not age well, gameplay-wise.

Even Marvel Super Heroes fared better.
>>
>>340372352
>[Avalon theme intensifies]
And goddamn he was hard makes every Magento look like shit.

Then again he was a boss.
>>
File: look at my helmet.png (1 MB, 6144x3584) Image search: [Google]
look at my helmet.png
1 MB, 6144x3584
>>340372467
But I love the intro to this fight soooo much

>magneto's narrative while slowly flying down
>that part where he puts on the helmet before the fight
>that music

that's a boss fight done good.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.