[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steam Controller
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4
File: Steam_Controller-112-970-80.jpg (40 KB, 970x545) Image search: [Google]
Steam_Controller-112-970-80.jpg
40 KB, 970x545
What is /v/'s opinion on the Steam Controller?
Especially playing different genre of games. If you own one, what do you like/dislike about it?
>>
Best controller for pc

Xbone is second
>>
>>340342952
This.

Anyone who disagrees is a faggot.
>>
>>340342885
amazing customization

takes a while to get used to though because of how different it is from traditional controllers
>>
>>340342885
Great controller but not for every game. Keep an xbox or ps3/4 controller at hand. For me is like 50/50 for steam controller and my ps3 gamepad.
>>
OP here. Thanks. Does it feel cheap?
>>
>>340342885
I love it.

The best thing isn't even the trackball functionality (though it's nice, and it's double-nice that they've got a trackball-emulating joystick output for trash console ports that don't support mouse use and controller use simultaneously)

It's that the touchpads are comfy enough to click that you can bind relevant functions to them.

I have movement on the left pad and jump by clicking it; one-handed move+jump is almost as much a part of KB/M's feel as mouselook is.

It's to the point now that I went and played Bayo 1 on WiiU and I kept fucking my combos up because I would click the left stick in to try and jump.
>>
>>340344557
naw it heavy good weight good vibration function too

the analog stick is highly responsive as well as the touch pads once you get used to it
>>
Revision 2 when?
>>
I love the sound the right touchpad makes when you use it.
>>
how is the d-pad when emulating older games? is it playable?
>>
File: welp.jpg (692 KB, 1698x1131) Image search: [Google]
welp.jpg
692 KB, 1698x1131
I got mine for platformers, emulators, and RPGs

works fine for those
>>
>>340347532
works for me

you might need to fuck with the sensitivity/deadzones to get it just right
>>
>>340344612
I prefer to have jump/run set to the grip button with the click used for 'use' or 'melee' in fps games. Though that will still mess you up when you go back to another system.

>>340347532
With some fiddling it is, I've had decent luck in Shovel Knight with haptic feedback turned all the way up, click to register set to no, and the 'cross gate' mode but even then I think the d-pad on my Logitech F310 is better.
>>
>>340342885
Best controller ever created imo. The customization software works flawlessly. The amount of configurations you can create is almost limitless.

Its not for plug and play users, however.
>>
>>340342885
Comfy as fuck

I just sit in bed and use my giant TV to browse 4chan or play hearthstone. I literally only have to move a finger. Don't really use it as a gamepad though since why would I use a pad over a kb + m lol.
>>
>>340342885
Bought one, returned it a week later.

It's not very good.
>>
>>340346856
I thought one might be around the corner with the recent price cut
>>
>>340348505
I do too. What are your hopes for the second revision?

I'm hoping that they improve the d-pad mode, like figure out some way to make the left pad feel more d-pad ish when you're using it like make the force to push it down for a directional click lighter. That or just replace the analog stick with a proper + d-pad.
>>
>>340348505
Wasn't it just a sale?
>>
>>340348902
Don't know. Was holding off on purchasing my first one until I heard some news.
>>340348907
I can see this being a permanent price.
>>
>>340342885
It's good but when they release the 2.0 they should up the customability by making the different buttons and sticks modular, meaning you could switch them out for different versions, for example, you could have a mini-arcadestick, a d-pad,etc. You could have 4 joysticks on a countroller.
>>
>>340349109
It already went back to it's regular price.
>>
Stupid but legitimate question. Is that a track pad on the right? What do you do with that?
>>
>>340349985
I just noticed. Crap, missed the sale. I snooze I lose.
>>
>>340349959
How would you even use them you retard
>>
From using a 360 controller for most games/emulating, it was a pain to use at first. With a little bit of fiddling and customizing it was definitely the most comfortable easy controller I've used.
For most games theres custom layouts people have made which are really easy to use, would recommend.
>>
It has glossy plastic on it.

It's automatically worthless garbage.
>>
I have a Dual Action Logitech that is slowly dying after what feels like 10 years of use. Should I just get a F310? Are there any similar options with vibration that are not wireless?

I prefer the stick placement of these controllers opposed to what Xbone has.
>>
Holy shit the shilling in this thread is astronomical.
>>
File: steam_controller-config_app.png (82 KB, 867x545) Image search: [Google]
steam_controller-config_app.png
82 KB, 867x545
>>340350095
There are dual touchpads on the left and the right. You use them to play games. The software built into Steam, and the third party config tool both give you tons of options on how to set them up. Unlike on a laptop there's haptic feedback which makes them better than what you're used to or probably expecting. Usually you'll want one of them set to trackball mode which works a lot better than a traditional dual analog setup.
>>
>>340350519

So I can use the trackpad just for moving around in all directions?
>>
>>340350420
The Logitech F310 is both dirt cheap and halfway decent. Its a good gamepad that is barely updated from one I bought like 18 years ago for Grim Fandango. I still prefer mine over the Gabepad for SNES and other retrogaming, but the trackball mode makes playing FPS games from the couch bearable.
>>
It's shit
this is a Valve shilling thread
>>
>>340350692
you can use the trackpads the exact same way you would use controller joysticks

trackpads have more precision, though, which is better in some games
>>
>>340350227
Different anon, but that was an example of customization you asshat. He probably meant if you wanted, you could have a joystick on any point of the controller. That or just for a funny gimmick. It was an example and your summer is showing.
>>
>>340350913
>didn't use the controller
>omg it's shit omgomgomg XDDD
>>
>>340350984

Neato. These things expensive?
>>
>>340350508
>>340350913
Instead of crying about shilling, why don't you just discuss controllers faggot. You've got people mentioning more than just the valve controller here but you won't even read the thread. Lurk more
>>
>>340351416
On sale for like 40 bucks or so right now.
>>
>>340350227
As>>340351161 explained, it was an example.
But if you wanted to you could just bind each direction on the stick to a button like you already can on the steam controller.
>>
GameSir-G3w
Logitech Gamepad F310

And I can't find anything else. Which one?
>>
>>340351706
The Logitech has the advantages of being reliable, dirt cheap, and from a known brand. I've never heard of the other one.
>>
>>340342885
I don't like it, it feels too imprecise, I guess.
>>
>>340342885
+ Customization
+ Compatibility

- Having to customize
- Bad software
- Trackpads
- Uncomfortable
- Only 1 stick
- No dpad

>>340342952
Xbox controllers are far better for any game that supports them.
>>
>>340352436
>Having to customize
I'll take "templates" for $200, alex
>>
>>340352583
They're shit.
>>
File: One year later.jpg (65 KB, 467x394) Image search: [Google]
One year later.jpg
65 KB, 467x394
>>340352436
>Bad software
>Uncomfotable
>Trackpads
>Having to customize

and most of all

>No Dpad
>>
>>340352824
>imfuckingplying
>>
>>340353173
They tend to be either overly complicated and bloated or insufficient. Surprise surprise, random dickhead on Steam #1,403,812 doesn't know what he's doing when it comes to making a sensible controller mapping. Yet all the other idiots(you) will vote it up. Hence that feature is borderline useless you literally do not know the difference between a good mapping and "just fit it all on there, good enough." You don't seem to.

>>340353031
cool post i got a lot out of it post some more cool posts please.
>>
it allows you to play civilization in your fuckin bed, soo yeah, pretty gud senpai
>>
>>340342885
Really good if you enjoy setting shit up, ignore otherwise.
The software/driver really needs improvement.
I'd still recommend keeping a X360 around just in case.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.