[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
YOU! STOP RIGHT THERE! Tell me why you're not hyped for
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 17
File: Skyward_Sword_Beetle.jpg (38 KB, 638x360) Image search: [Google]
Skyward_Sword_Beetle.jpg
38 KB, 638x360
YOU!

STOP RIGHT THERE!

Tell me why you're not hyped for Zelda U.
>>
Your pic offers a real good argument to not care about ANY new Zelda.
>>
>grill link
no thanks m8
>>
File: 1409705548593.png (337 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1409705548593.png
337 KB, 500x375
>>340333592
Largly its because Im concerned that some kind of definitive version is going to be on the NX, and I cant afford an NX anytime in the near future. Secondly we know next to nothing concrete about the game right now, after Skyward Sword's many missteps I'll need something good and solid to get excited over.
>>
>>340333592

Because I haven't touched my WiiU in months thanks to my PC
>>
>>340333592
It was supposed to come out in 2015. I think it's going to be a mess.
>>
>>340333592
I don't know a fucking damn thing about it. You think what they showed before is remotely relevant? THe whole game has been re-tooled, that's why they went dark for a year and are porting to NX.
>>
Why would I own a Wii U?
>>
It's become very stale and samey.
>>
I don't see much point in getting excited about a game I know little about. Plus I'm overly-skeptical about new Zelda games.
>>
I grew up. I play Elder Scrolls now.
>>
>>340333592
Wii U sucks
NX will also suck

Literally don't care about it
>>
It's just so far away at the moment. I might get a little hype when I see stuff from it at E3.
>>
>>340333592
l am over the age of 14
>>
fuck off nintendrone
>>
>>340334201
So you're 15 then? GTHO.
>>
>>340333592
Because I don't get hyped for video games. It only leads to disappointment and keeps you from enjoying games for what they are.

But since WW<TP<SS, Zelda U could be the best 3D Zelda since the 64 days.
>>
>>340334294
(You)
>>
File: 1448454118586.png (189 KB, 500x531) Image search: [Google]
1448454118586.png
189 KB, 500x531
Three reasons
A: No faith in Nintendo, its all trash now
B: Development hell, they dont know what the fuck they're doing with the game
C:Its a Zelda game that doesnt push anything again. Its not a Twilight Princess, its another OoT/Wind Waker.

Im 3/4ths done with Wind Waker HD due to lmao free wii u games and the fact that people have 100%'ed this game boggles me. Spending hours exploring wastelands doing boring quests just for the "self-satisfaction" of 100%ing a childs adventure game, which is blatantly apparent since the bosses are cookie cutter as shit "Z-Lock onto this then use the item you got in this dungeon to stun it, then go in for some stabs". Zelda U or whatever is going to be the exact same shit.
>>
I haven't enjoyed a Zelda game since wind waker. The haven't been good.
>>
File: 1464339184953.jpg (37 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1464339184953.jpg
37 KB, 960x960
>>340334298
The Wind Waker is not in any way better than Twilight Princess other than graphically, and New Game+ content.

You need to reevaluate what you enjoy out of video games if you think Wind Waker could possibly be better.
>>
>>340334376
>Its not a Twilight Princess
Good. TP was the worst Zelda game by far.
>>
>>340334376
>B: Development hell, they dont know what the fuck they're doing with the game
How do you know that? They've barely shown anything of the game.

>C:Its a Zelda game that doesnt push anything again. Its not a Twilight Princess, its another OoT/Wind Waker.
Isn't that backwards? TP was done as a OoT2 intentionally.
>>
because it wont be out for like another year. There is no reason to be hype for something so far away. You will just be disappointed.
>>
>>340334376
>its another OoT
If this is true, day one buy. OoT is legendary.

If not, if its another twilight pruncess, then it needs to go straight to the trash. No more too easy, too emoty titles with no sense of wonder or storytelling in my series. Skyward Sword and TP was enough.
>>
>>340333776
Girl link isn't in Zelda u
>>
Because I'm gonna have to buy the NX if I want to play it in it's best form
>>
>"A Delayed game is eventually good"
>Releases Star Fox Zero after countless delays

I think I don't care until the game is out.
>>
Because there's nearly zero info about it and I wasn't a fan of SS or TP
>>
>>340334860
>>Releases Star Fox Zero after countless delays
Wasn't it just 1 big one?
>>
>>340334376
>No faith in Nintendo
>Development hell
>Its a Zelda game that doesnt push anything again
What.
>>
>>340334689
>OoT is legendary
People still believe that garbage?
>>
File: less-than-symbol-example.gif (5 KB, 329x134) Image search: [Google]
less-than-symbol-example.gif
5 KB, 329x134
>>340334547
You might want to take another look at my post.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_nfiep7Iehs1r7av0p.png (313 KB, 466x410) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_nfiep7Iehs1r7av0p.png
313 KB, 466x410
>>340334376
Wind Waker is far from as good as OoT/MM/TP, but it was the best looking game ever made for a solid decade. In fact, it arguably hasn't been topped.

On top of this fact, every single character in the game is unique and has their own statue. There are no clones. For some, that's incentive to go out and 100% the Nintendo Gallery, and collect every Treasure Map.

Because there's so many of them. It's a meditative game. You play it while you think of other things.
>>
File: 1463013526350.png (456 KB, 457x613) Image search: [Google]
1463013526350.png
456 KB, 457x613
>>340335281
Oh, I see. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt because I really didn't think you were dumb enough to think that Skyward Sword is anything but the worst Zelda game ever made.
>>
>>340335218
OoT is the Super Metroid of 3D games. It will never be topped.
>>
I bet my balls this zelda is going to be good
>>
>>340335304
>On top of this fact, every single character in the game is unique and has their own statue. There are no clones. For some, that's incentive to go out and 100% the Nintendo Gallery, and collect every Treasure Map.

Gotta call bullshit on that. Half the villagers and the Deku's kids look identical, same with most of the common enemies which end up being a smaller version of a boss or mini-boss counterpart.

The game looks absolutely fantastic though, the HD Version is fantastic.
>>
>>340335765
What shit taste.
>>
because in truth, we've seen NOTHING.
>>
>>340336108
They're not clones. They're all unique. Hence why the Nintendo Figurines exist.

Let me guess, you never made one?
>>
>>340333592
because itll be more of the same shit. until nintendo gets with the times im fucking done
>>
>>340333592
I'm not hyped for anything. I'm content with the games available to me right now. I mean I have a massive backlog of great games. Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade X, Wonderful 101, Codename Steam (played the first level, it's way better than you guys give it credit), Dark Souls 3 and much much more. I have no reason to be hyped for games not out.
>>
SS was such a disappointment I couldn't even finish it.
>>
>>340335478
Dank meme. TP could be better than SS, but WW? That's a joke. SS does everything better than WW except maybe artstyle.
>combat
>dungeons
>travel
>story
>characters (unless you want to fuck birds)
I really don't like WW and for me, it's the worst 3D Zelda.
>>
>>340333592
because nintendo is making it, and nintendo has failed for over 6 years now
>>
File: Eiji-Aonuma.jpg (314 KB, 999x933) Image search: [Google]
Eiji-Aonuma.jpg
314 KB, 999x933
>>340333592
>Tell me why you're not hyped for Zelda U.
>>
>>340336442
I thought Nintendo Gallery would be something more than "here have a look at the models you've already seen of characters that you dont care for in the slightest and look fairly ugly", so i've seen what it is but you couldnt pay me to bother with that shit. Its literally pointless.

Also you're really going to sit there and say that Tingle, Ankle, David Jr and Knuckle are "Unique" and not clones? Because they got a color change and a new name?
>>
>>340333757
Came to say this.
>>
>>340335478
WW was a game full of empty promises, wasted potential, completely lacking in good character development, and shit-tier pacing with really forgettable quests. Skyward Sword's only flaws, on the other hand, were:

1) Handholding (pervasive and resentable)
2) Lack of exploring (understandable given that they'd clearly lost sight of what made exploration enjoyable over the previous few entries)
3) Motion controls (subjective, debatable whether it's a real flaw or if it's just an unexpected demographic divider)

The two things I ever, ever found myself wanting from SS that I didn't get were night time flight and being able to freely fly in and out of town. That's all. That's it.

Oh, and that you wouldn't have to flap the wiimote to ascend your bird. Even the underwater worked well but this was just a plain, redundant annoyance given how the beetle could ascend by simply angling upwards.

Some of its boss battles weren't as impactful as they could be (scorpion, rasta tentacle, footie sleeping bag), and others were great (koloktos, pirate robo, ghirahim) but the environmental puzzles were 10/10, everything to do with the desert ever was fucking fantastic, other regions were alright, the tool upgrade system was kind of neat, but I definitely felt like enemies could have been a little more aggressive just a teensy bit.

Like, I liked Twilight Princess alright but I definitely found Skyward Sword way more enjoyable, and Wind Waker was so disappointing that I have difficulty mustering the energy to even think about it.

Wind Waker's greatest strengths were its visual charm and its music. That's about it.
>>
>>340337106
Their clock hands, dimple splotches, and beauty marks are different.
>>
>>340337029
There were good improvements between SS and ALBW, and between ALBW and TFH. I can see ZUtopia being legitimately good, especially given how they've got notes from Monolith Soft working on Xenoblade X to work with in terms of world design, HD game design, and so on.
>>
File: 1464632891964.png (48 KB, 415x337) Image search: [Google]
1464632891964.png
48 KB, 415x337
>>340333592
There's been no new information and I haven't watched the trailers for a few months.

I had fun with Skyward Sword and genuinely enjoyed it despite it's flaws, if this turns out to be even half of what I expect it will I'll still have fun.
>>
>>340338087
Oh and the harp was hot dogshit. A proper music system using the wiimote to pluck and strum strings with a hand/cursor and UI would have been preferable.
>>
File: WVW69jQ6QFMdcI739Y.jpg (98 KB, 800x450) Image search: [Google]
WVW69jQ6QFMdcI739Y.jpg
98 KB, 800x450
>>340338087
>>340338624
tl;dr but Wind Waker had a fun tempo of going from island to island, and exploring. Skyward Sword has no exploring.

You'll never get into a situation where you can either dodge a seahat by flying into a tornado and get warped away, or swerve towards an island and try to run to shelter without having to try to kill it and risk getting killed first in Skyward Sword.

I once shot an arrow into the sky and watched it come down on a Bokoblin miles away.

I also, triggered a known glitch and set off a chain reaction of explosions on Beedle's Ship.

I once ran from Beedle's Ship across the air using a Tingle Balloon because I had a brain-fart and couldn't figure out how to get the the little island with the transparent treasure chest on Windfall.

I have no memories like that of Skyward Sword. My only memories of that game are trying, in vain, to sequence-break it so I could beat it faster because it sucked so damn much, or trying to figure the science of why it was so poorly coded, that it autosaves when you talk to Demise, so you can only see that pre-final battle banter once. Like it's giving you the bird one last time before you go.
>>
>>340333592
It's not gonna be called Zelda U. That's the main reason why I'm not hyped for Zelda U.
>>
>>340333592
A 3D zelda game hasn't disappointed me yet so no reason to think the next one won't be great. Except maybe the fact that it's open world. Rarely do open world games turn out good. People don't realize you sacrifice quality depth and direction for freedom. Here's to hoping Aonuma can find a good balance.
>>
>>340340923
If Xenoblade X's main story didn't exist, then the game would be judged on the quality of its npc quests and affinity quests.

Direction is overrated. Why is it so hard for people to make a game where you can just go in a direction and do rad shit along the way?
>>
>>340341203
>Why is it so hard for people to make a game where you can just go in a direction and do rad shit along the way?

Because it's a lot harder to do than you make it sound. In every game you're always progressing in various ways. In knowledge, difficulty, story, etc. If the developer just dumped the player and told them to do whatever they want and go wherever they want, they'll have to predict all the possible ways the player progresses and change everything accordingly. And because of all this, they have to dumb down everything, making it lose the depth it could've had with direction.

WW manages to be a great game despite it having a clear direction. You still get a great sense of exploration, adventure, and progression.
>>
>>340333592

because the last good one was majora's mask and TP was passable at best
>>
>>340342540
Not really. Not counting dungeon islands, I can count on one hand the number of islands with any actual worth to them. The only sense of adventure or exploration I ever felt were on the town, tree, or bird islands, and no others, and those were pretty fucking small.

The problem with WW is that there was little to nothing of value on most islands. Like, maybe a chest with rupees but you were shitting rupees at all times.

Then I look at Xenoblade X. Without the main story to distract people from the actual meat and potatoes of the game, I feel like people would have got a much better impression of what the game's actually about. I did everything I could to avoid the main story because doing anything but said main story is what I enjoyed most from it, and I think Xenoblade X was a great open world in that regard. If they had put the time and effort that they had put into the main story into the rest of the world, then it'd be fine, because Xenoblade X is a game that doesn't give a shit what your progression is or what level you are, it will stomp you flat at any and all points in the game, mercilessly.
>>
>>340334376
>Twilight Princess
>pushing anything

IT WAS A FUCKING OOT CLONE WITH WOLF REPLACING LINK ERA

HOLY SHIT THIS BETTER BE BAIT
>>
>>340333592
Twilights Princess was bad
Skyward Sword was offensive to my intelligence.

I haven't really given a shit about Zelda since Wind waker, and it looks like nothing is changing.

Nintendo panders literally to children.
>>
>>340343494
SS was good. What few flaws it had were glaring ones, but it was still good.
>>
A Link Between Worlds was good.
The first half of Skyward Sword was good.
A bit of Twilight Princess was passable.

I dunno how much I give a shit but I'll be paying attention at E3.
>>
>>340333592
Don't give a shit about zelda franchise. The last I played was TP.
>>
>>340333592
>Skyward Sword still exists
>Worst Link design ever
>Delay after delay after delay
>No reason to expect anything creative to be done with the formula

Why should I be hype?
>>
>>340334376
>C:Its a Zelda game that doesnt push anything again. Its not a Twilight Princess, its another OoT/Wind Waker.

I think you accidentally reversed the games here.
>>
If they can make world design 1% as good as Xenoblade X, that's progress. It looks nothing like it now.
>>
>>340343605
All 3D Zelda games are OoT clones. TP was no different than any other.
>>
Skyward Sword is the best 3d Zelda
>>
>>340333592

I don't own, nor do I plan on owning any current or future Nintendo consoles.
>>
>>340333592
Why would I be?

Broader question: why would I be hyped for ANY game?
>>
>>340344281
I'd trade it for a story and cast as charming as the original Xenoblade.
>>
>>340344550
That was one-of-a-kind casting and directing and wont happen again for years.
It was Cowboy Bebop Dub-levels of perfect.
>>
>>340344550
Charming story is done better in other franchises. Xenoblade should pursue the jrpgs with actually fun gameplay that isn't an action game with cinematics.
>>
>>340344809
I know which is why I'd love to see it in a Zelda game so much

It's why I want another Wind Waker game featuring Tetra's pirate crew in a starring role. It could be great.
>>
>>340344549
because hopefully you're not completely dead inside yet, faggot.
>>
>>340333592
Worried they will add pointless items like that beetle there again^
>>
>>340343605
To be fair, Twilight Princess is probably the last game to try to be innovative but it didn't succeed.

The game was going to have
>FMV for all animals.
>Bad guys calling reinforcements when you got back to areas you'd cleared.
>procedural burning for all wooden objects.
>ultra-realistic lighting like RE5 was going to have.
>weather-changing item like Seasons.
>a dual world relationship with the Twilight like ALttP
>overhead camera for what seems to be stealth sections ala MGS.
>Wii compatibility. At least for save transfers. There is still text in the GCN version for this.

Would have been glorious.
>>
>>340345158
Posts like this are why it boggles my mind how only WW gets ripped for cut content.

Isn't it much worse for a game to get delayed and still fail to reach its potential?
>>
File: faggotry.png (188 KB, 1647x1235) Image search: [Google]
faggotry.png
188 KB, 1647x1235
>>340333592
I gave my Wii U to my friends little brother and I never planned on getting Horse Zelda anyways.
>>
>>340343546
I didn't buy Xenoblade X after doing some research and asking around about the game. One of the biggest turn offs to me was that you're not actually progressing in a journey. There's one hub city and you're always going back to it. The only thing to explore in the world, other than the hub city, is the wildlife of that uninhabited planet. And to me, it just sounds dull.

And in Zelda terms, say the game had 10 dungeons and let you go whenever you want. They'd have to make each dungeon in more than 10 possible ways, assuming what items they have, what they know so far, and what difficulty they adapted to so they can adjust them each. That sounds like too much of a task, so they'd be forced to take shortcuts and like I said, dumb down the game. While instead, they could have direction and use those resources to improve other aspects of the game and have more content. And this example is only one aspect of the game, there are many other aspects that they have to change.

>Xenoblade X is a game that doesn't give a shit what your progression is or what level you are, it will stomp you flat at any and all points in the game, mercilessly

That doesn't sound very fun. And I'm pretty sure you have to have some kind of progression (level, mechs, skills) to defeat enemies.
>>
am I really the only person who liked skyward sword?
>>
>>340344996
You've answered nothing. Now you have to justify how I'm dead inside.
>>
>>340333592
Because Darksiders series were much better games. Zelda is for 8 year olds, not even the douchefag audience of retro 8-bit hipster jerkwads can pretend to be entertained by it. Older fans were done with the series by Twlight Princess.

It is not the fault of the devs, kids have always loved these series, but if you are over 12 you should move on. It is pathetic, it is like watching an adult play with duplos on his own.
>>
>>340335765
Well said
>>
>>340345426
Nah, because TP feels like a complete game. WW finishes way too fast, pulls out early, and leaves you unsatisfied.
>>
Because I don't know anything about it?
>>
File: 1427906956752.png (487 KB, 657x651) Image search: [Google]
1427906956752.png
487 KB, 657x651
>>340333592
Because we hardly know a damn thing about it.

Hard to be hyped when all we know is "it's open-world and the horse has autopilot and there's a bullet-time thing for arrows". Too much can go wrong between that concept and the finished product to warrant hype.
>>
Because modern Nintendo is making it

Because Skyward Sword exists

Because Im not buying a WiiU at the end of it's life and I have no faith in the NX.
>>
File: image.gif (3 MB, 390x357) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3 MB, 390x357
>>340333592
It will be released on NX so I feel cucked if I buy it for my wii u.

I will wait for an animal crossing nx before buying an nx. Even then I feel like I am done with Nintendo and they aren't releasing anymore smash bros with sakurai at the helm. That is like making a new mgs without Kojima
>>
>>340346070
They took the mechanic from Shadow of the Colossus :o
>>
>>340345682
Xenoblade X is a game where you can walk out the door and see some level 60 something that will stomp you flat if you get too close to it. Yes, there is progression, but it's different from normal. Exploring the world is a reward in and of itself, and given that your map is full of hexes that each have their own specific spotlighted goal (not to the exclusion of any other unique things you might find in said hex), exploring the world can feel like a sort of progression as you revisit areas you thought you skimmed over before, and find there's actually more to it, like a little tunnel that you missed because you drove over it, or you just saw it from one angle and assumed you knew everything that was there.

Enemy encampments are scattered around in all sorts of different configurations. Sometimes full-on bases, sometimes small guard posts near holes in the wall that they're guarding something. You might find a giant tree or two with spiral paths up the hollow inside leading to branches that lead to a network of vine bridges across a canopy of floating islands. You can find ruins of ancient civilizations come and gone all over, too.

You can't really call upon Elder Scrolls, especially recent ones, or Grand Theft Auto, or other open world games of very recent years to give you an adequate idea of what to expect from the world. It's not just the wildlife. It's the world itself. Each continent has a small caravan of Nopon, which can offer their own quests.

Monolith Soft is a fucking titan when it comes to world design. Mira is god damn fucking beautiful, and I cannot count one fucking place that seemed copy/pasted from somewhere else in the world, aside from the Ganglion aerial outposts in Cauldros, which seemed purposeful and even then had minor differences.

Also, there are BLADE outposts all over Mira, since they've had a couple months to explore before you woke up. There's at least two NPCs at each one, and they all offer unique dialogue and tips.
>>
Theyve been very quiet about this game, very similar to how quiet they were with SS

I have a feeling it's gonna be another stinker, it's had almost as long a dev cycle as oot
>>
>>340345682
There is a slight difficulty increase between continents, but there's like five continents so the increase isn't that noticeable. You can access every continent from the get go, but there's some areas you won't be able to access until you get strong enough and geared enough to take on the enemies, but the game's story doesn't gate you out of visiting those areas. Except for a very small handful of floating areas, for which flying mechs are required, but those make up less than 5% of the game's landmass.

Cauldros, the land of heat and lava, is probably the most inhospitable, but even then you can swim the fucking ocean to one edge and still find low level enemies you could take on at just about any point in the game, it's just that its population has a higher average of large and high level enemies.

But the point is, as an open world game, it gates you out of fewer areas by the story than I've seen in a long, long time. Mountain goating to climb up odd edges and corners is a thing you can do if it seems at first like you can't actually access a place. You really can go anywhere, it's just that not all quests are available until you progress the story every now and then.
>>
File: 17b.gif (2 MB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
17b.gif
2 MB, 680x680
>>340333757
/thread in the first post? c'mon anon.
>>
>>340346607
>That is like making a new mgs without Kojima

It turned out better than MGSV.
>>
>>340346931
>>340347669
>>340345682
But yeah, I guess you're not so much progressing on a journey. I mean, you CAN journey from one place to another, and in fact you have to in order to unlock fast travel points, but the story of the game doesn't revolve around the journey.
>>
File: 1285965381477.png (71 KB, 690x1682) Image search: [Google]
1285965381477.png
71 KB, 690x1682
>>340333592
I don't want to buy a NX without knowing what it is

I don't want to buy a Wii U when its last generations console and I didn't want a Wii U anyway because it looked dumb.
>>
>>340334376
Getting 100% in any game boggles my adult mind and it terrifies me that I did it in GTA 3 and can't remember all the time I spent doing it.
>>
>>340333592
Because it's probably gonna be designed around the NX now.
Also they've shown very little to be hype about.
>>
The last console Zelda was the worst one yet. Nintendo has been floundering for the past generation and have seemingly only gotten worse at understanding what people want. We know next to nothing about the new game except that it's going to be open world, and lots of open world games tend to have very poor "content worth your time to world size" ratios, which is a problem Zelda already suffered from anyway.

I used to be a huge Zelda fan but SS left me really disillusioned. This game is going to have be fucking astounding to be worth all of the trouble.
>>
>>340333592
I don't care about LoZ
>>
>>340349873
SS was one of the best console games of the series since OoT and MM, mate. WW felt unfinished and lacking in most areas, and TP was too large for how little content actually existed in the game, although other than that it was fine, with a handful of dull moments (bug hunts) and not feeling terribly unique. SS however gave me an impression of knowing what it wanted to be and fucking doing it, but getting a little overzealous in some areas (handholding) and not zealous enough in some others (forest). The biggest difference with SS is that it kicked exploration to the curb entirely, but I don't think that's a bad thing when even the best console Zelders had decent-at-best exploration, and shit-fucking-why-bother exploration at worst.
>>
>>340350373
>WW felt unfinished and lacking in most areas

You could say basically the same thing about SS.

>The biggest difference with SS is that it kicked exploration to the curb entirely

I shouldn't even have to explain why that's a goddamn stupid idea no matter how you view it.
>>
>>340335218
That's because it is. You can thank it for many of the now staple mechanics in adventure games.
>>
>>340350373
I've been playing Zelda since the NES. SS sucked. It's the only Zelda I haven't beaten more than once.
>>
>>340345835
WW leaves you satisfied if you do the exploration
>>
>>340350729
Plenty of games get along fine without a significant exploration aspect to them. SS had enough little things along the way and enough quantity and variety in environmental puzzles and ways to traverse the environment that it made up a lot for the lack of exploration.

I know that Zelda is a series known for its exploration aspect, but the 3D side of the series simply hasn't been as good at the exploration aspect as the 2D side has been, and I think SS ditching exploration was necessary so that Aonuma and the Zelda devs could explore the limits of what they can do with and without exploration, and what all exploration gave it.

>you could say basically the same thing about SS
Not really. At least, not to nearly the same extent. Wind Waker, despite railroading you at the beginning, didn't actually have a whole lot to offer you once you could actually sail freely. The number of islands worth anything outside of dungeon islands and town islands could be counted in the single digits. Lots of areas seemed like they might have something cool, but utterly lacked once you actually paid any attention to them. The characters were built up in their introductions to be rad, but barely got any interaction or development, and then suddenly things happened to them and there was no real reason to get invested in them in the first place. The spunky pirate girl suddenly becomes meek as hell as soon as she's whitewashed, and the biggest character developments for two other important characters come from brainwashing them with the ghosts of their predecessors, with no ACTUAL personal development.

A music system was in place, but it had like two songs that saw regular use, two that saw niche use, and two songs that literally only ever had two uses in the whole game, compared to Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time that had loads of uses for pretty much all songs, as well as more in general and much more robust music systems.

It's OBVIOUS entire dungeons/islands were cut.
>>
>>340351379
That would probably explain why. For someone like me who came into the series with LttP and Minish Cap on the gameboy, I've got very different expectations for the series than you do who started with Zelda 1. The series has grown and changed in many ways. You know the series for having an aspect of exploration, no matter how weak. Well, I do, too. But I also know it for having strong aspects of environmental puzzling, which is what I get the most out of for these games, so the mazes and the paths between dungeons, what I can do on those paths, and what challenges I'm given in the dungeons hold more for me than they might for someone who started with Zelda 1, a game with really lacking dungeons and environmental puzzles, and a NG+ that basically comes down to "you won't find it unless you've got a guide".
>>
>>340351906
Actually now that I think about it, I probably started with Ocarina of Time for N64, but during the gamecube/GBA era.
>>
>>340333592
Fucking over Wii U owners was a factor, but having it also be an NX launch title was the finishing blow. Just bought a PS4 instead, enjoying myself more desu.
>>
>>340351625
>>340351906
Even if I were to pretend that it's fine for a series based around a particular aspect to just up and completely remove that aspect, SS failed on most of the things it actually did focus on.

It was just too damn easy. Even compared to previous Zelda games, it was so patronizing it got flat out insulting. Despite all the talk of challenging conventions, it often defaulted to Zelda standards with most things amounting to "rub whatever item you got last on this thing until the puzzle is solved".

The story was also just more of the Zelda standards, adding absolutely nothing to the series as a whole. I think maybe only one or two characters actually had any form of development, and none of them were actually major characters.

The game was just pretty mediocre.
>>
>>340351906
Idk. I loved Minnish cap and most of the handheld entries (although Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks were a chore). SS was just tedious, repetitive, and too handholdy. I think TP and WE had the best sidekick/helpers in terms of being helpful but not intrusive. Fi was on another level.

While SS did some things well the constant retreading, fighting the imprisoned multiple times, the tad tones, etc. As a Zelda game it left a lot to be desired.
>>
>>340339883
>SS doesn't make you choose between dying, teleporting away, and hiding
>I once made something up that can't happen in WW because of the draw distance and the arrow physics
>SS doesn't have this particular glitch
>I was a retarded kid when I played WW but not SS
If you think any of those is a reason why WW is better than SS, then I'm not surprised because WWfags confuse 'muh comfy' and 'muh childhood memories' with video games.
>>
>>340333592
i grew up on 2d zelda and didn't like the transition to 3d
>>
>>340352985
WW was a better game because its over world was not a dead shell like the Sky.
>>
>>340333932
>Largly its because Im concerned that some kind of definitive version is going to be on the NX, and I cant afford an NX anytime in the near future.
If it's the same deal as Twilight Princess, the Wii U version will be the definitive.

The GC version of TP was so much better it's not even funny. Less slowdown, more fluid controls, the Wii version had actual game ending (as in, start the fuck over from Ordon, asshole) bugs.
>>
>>340352750
>It was just too damn easy.
Wind Waker is the easiest 3D Zelda in terms of puzzles and combat.
>>
>>340353290
Yeah it was easy.

Still doesn't change the fact that SS was too damn easy.
>>
>>340334376
>TP babbies are literally this stupid

millenials were a mistake
>>
>>340353695
>millenials

There's that word again. Unless you're over 35, you're one too bub.
>>
>>340352750
While the developments of the characters may have been well within what you might expect a natural course for them to be, it was still development. Groose became reliable. Impa displayed her devotion to the cause in ever more impactful ways, and grew to understand how reliable YOU were, amending how she treated you. Zelda went from being carefree to a point where she felt compelled to put an incredibly burden upon herself to keep things stable. Ghirahim's facade crumbled further with each meeting.

Shit, some side characters got development. The love triangle, the lives outside of bullying, the weakling working hard to become stronger, the academic revealing that he had issues with his mother.

>too damn easy
I'd contest that. Every Zelda game has at least one puzzle that I have to sit down and figure out how to approach. SS had more than most. One or two bomb bowling segments, figuring out that I had to bomb a crack that wasn't very obvious while balancing on a ball, and so on. Maybe the average difficulty was a bit lower than usual, but I found the sheer variety and quantity to again more than make up for that.

I mean, Ocarina of Time's dungeons are still the gold standard of 3D zelda dungeons for me, but SS's weren't particularly bad by any means, and when you compare dungeons to the absolute shitfest that WW was, the difference is like night and day.

The timeshift stone shenanigans alone were fantastic.
>>
>delayed
>delayed
>delayed
>added amiibo support
>find out it was actually delayed just so the NX would have something to launch with
>>
>>340353192
>great sea was better than sky
>therefore, ww is better
That reasoning is almost too retarded to deal with.
WW is 90% sea, of course it's going to be 'better' than the sky. What's terrible about the sea is crossing it, the sky is much faster to transverse.

The big gaping flaw in your argument is that it completely ignores SS's land segments. WW's islands are fucking terrible until you get to the dungeon on them. They're either tiny areas that only serve as a dungeon entrance or one of the town islands, and only Windfall is worth returning to.

And it blows my mind that you resort to the sea and sky instead of anything that really matters, like dungeons.

>>340353516
SS being too easy doesn't change the fact that WW was easier.
>>
>>340353961
>SS had more than most.

I can't even imagine getting stuck anywhere in SS. If you've had any experience with this series in the past then just about all of it should be immediately obvious. The bits that aren't just retreads are usually pretty clearly explained or made as obvious as day.

>>340354071
>SS being too easy doesn't change the fact that WW was easier.

Not nearly by enough to make SS anything but too damn easy.
>>
>>340352881
>the tad tones
What about them? They were there and then they were done. I don't get why people keep mentioning them, they barely had a presence.

I actually think mechanically and design-wise, that Phantom Hourglass was a pretty decent entry, but that its biggest failings were the control scheme and hardware limitations meaning that it couldn't have a better variety of music or quality of visuals. It also had WAY better boating and companions than WW. If it had a 3DS remake with a bigger, higher quality OST, polished visuals, and the option to use circle pad for music, I think a lot of people would probably like it a lot more and place it way higher on their lists.

I actually really disliked WW's companion for not being present enough. King of Red Lions barely felt like he existed, outside of the beginning of the game, and I don't see that as a good thing. In contrast, Fi was too fucking present at all times. Midna was a great companion though, 10/10 would adventure with again. I can't speak on Spirit Tracks though, having not played it.

>constant retreading
People keep saying this. I don't understand it. Most times when you revisit an area, something has changed, or you're just walking through it to go somewhere new, and this is par for the course in Zelda games. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Link to the Past, and so on have all done shit like this.

>>340354580
Well I wouldn't say I got stuck anywhere, but there were a handful of puzzles that I did need to take a moment to process shit because I probably looked everywhere but where I needed to look, or I just didn't have the technique down in the right order.

But no Zelda game is exactly Catherine or Layton levels of problem-solving, especially after you've played some other entry in the series, I'll agree with that.
>>
>>340354580
>Not nearly by enough to make SS anything but too damn easy.
You're either autistic or an asshole. I'm not saying SS wasn't too easy. I'm taking issue with you singling out SS for being too easy compared to other Zelda games. WW, TP, and SS are all piss easy relative to other Zeldas.
>>
>>340333592
Cause we don't know shit about it
>>
>>340354934
>People keep saying this. I don't understand it. Most times when you revisit an area, something has changed, or you're just walking through it to go somewhere new, and this is par for the course in Zelda games. Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Link to the Past, and so on have all done shit like this.
It's literally not okay when SS does it because I want to fit in.
>>
>>340354063
It was delayed so that they could polish it up further and add more content as they realized that they could do more with it than they thought they could at first. I see this as a good thing.

I think it just happened to get delayed to the point that it didn't seem much of a point in not also releasing it on NX.
>>
>>340333592
because zelda games have been a letdown since twilight princess and i'm not a kid who will believe someone when they say "WE'VE CHANGED! LOOK!" as they keep pushing out the same shit again and again

>b-b-but CoD and all these other games do that!
I don't play those games.
>>
The emulator won't be functional for years.
>>
>>340352409
Should've waited for the PS4.5 ;^)
>>
>>340355023
I'm just saying why I didn't like SS. SS and WW are probably the easiest. The others weren't quite on their levels of childish simplicity.
Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.