[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"open world RPG" >NPCs stand around doing absolutely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4
File: Morrowind_1.jpg (18 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind_1.jpg
18 KB, 320x240
>"open world RPG"
>NPCs stand around doing absolutely nothing
>zero world interaction unless the player is directly involved
>most people are mutes, just stand there mind reading entire conversations
>Clearly hit that guy in the face? LOL no you missed m8
>Enter tavern, can't even sit on a chair
>...
>"Best in the series!" - morrowfag white knights trying to defend this shit
>>
>>340306228
Your criticism is completely legit.

>"Best in the series!"
compared to "streamlined" Oblivion/Skyrim and we-just-invented-graphics Arena/Daggerfall, Morrowind has best pros:cons ratio of them all.
>>
>>340306228
Outside of contrarians and nostalgia blinded fools it's agreed that every successive is a step above Morrowind, from an over all game quality perspective
>>
>>340306228
story, atmosphere, lore
back in the day players and game developers both had passion, creativity and imagination...
>>
>>340308457
>passion
>creativity

>too lazy to write a schedule for every NPC and atleast have them all say something unique
>too lazy to have every guild have a different story than "do 20 errands and the kill the guildmaster to take his position"

I mean, I love Morrowind, it's my favourite TES game, but Bethesda were fucking lazy
>>
>>340307019
>lumping oblivion in with skyrim
>>
It was made during a time when it was impossible to allow that many npcs having amazing radiant AI.
>>
>>340308827
Yeah seriously, I agree Morrowind is the best, but this isnt an Us versus Them thing. Oblivion was great, Morrowind was Fantastic, and Skyrim was... well, it didnt become even DECENT until all of the DLC hit, and even then a lot of very poor design decisions require mods to fix.

Morrow and Oblivion are find without mods, but Skyrim sort of needs mods to compete.
>>
File: 1454437599890.jpg (36 KB, 346x406) Image search: [Google]
1454437599890.jpg
36 KB, 346x406
If only you could take the RPG elements of Morrowind, the comfy setting of Oblivion (but add in some important things like more people in the capital, bigger map and towns and stuff) and the action/graphics of Skyrim.
I hate Morrowind's setting.
I hate Oblivions graphics.
I hate the lack of RPG elements in Skyrim.
>>
>>340306228
>NPCs stand around doing absolutely nothing
NPCs not being stationary was pretty rare back then and 3D being comparatively young forced even more limits on games.
>zero world interaction unless the player is directly involved
Same as above but even today this is rare.
Name me 5 rpgs that do this. You can't.

>most people are mutes, just stand there mind reading entire conversations
Voice acting is expensive and Bethesda was close to bankruptcy but even then it wasn't common in games back then, especially not lengthy rpgs.

>Clearly hit that guy in the face? LOL no you missed m8
Use a weapon that you have actual skill in then, moron. If you don't know how to build a character why are you playing rpgs in the first place?

>Enter tavern, can't even sit on a chair
Which would not improve the game in any way, aside from being a gimmick.

Your complaints are nonsense.

>>340307954
Source: your ass
>>
>>340309218
Oblivion's generic and boring setting was what made this game so shit.
>>
>>340309218
I loved Morrowind's world, I found the Island of Vvardenfell to be one of the most well thought out and believable places in Videogame history.

I did not like the fact that there was very few ways to make combat fun in Morrowind. Until you got the Warlock's Medallion from the Mage's Guild Xenith quest, Using strictly magic for combat was nearly impossible, and most of the astrological signs were shit and did nothing.

I really liked the open nature of Oblivion. I felt like moreso than Morrowind or Skyrim, Oblivion truly had a sense of "Literally do whatever you want" all the time. An influx of random dungeons that serve no purpose but to be plundered by you without some quest explanation, which some people find as a Negative, was actually a big HUGE positive for me.

However most of the guild quests were GOD AWFUL. Mages always had you killing necromancers or gathering a metric fuckton of plants, Thief's guild had almost nothing for most of the game, then those really dumb gray fox quests, and the Fighter's guild... uh... had... something. I dont remember, at all. The Dark Brotherhood questline was the only guild quests I liked from Oblivion.

I found the Dragons and weaponplay of Skyrim to be top notch. Maybe they BOTH could have been top notch at the same time, since dragonslaying was... weak, to say the least, but if it wasn't for ALL DRAUGR ALL THE TIME, I'm sure a lot of the tombs would be cool too. I liked the constellation skillweb. Felt like a natural evolution from Oblivion's 25/50/75/100 system, too bad it wasn't automatic.

There's so much wrong with Skyrim it's hard to boil it down to one thing, but the worst thing has to be the lack of an actual RPG element.
>>
File: 1449317966307.jpg (203 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1449317966307.jpg
203 KB, 1024x768
>>
>>340310102
I agree with pretty much all of your points. My dislike of Morrowind's setting is purely based on a personal preference, and has nothing to do with the actual quality of it.
>>
File: 1440471401971.png (69 KB, 414x431) Image search: [Google]
1440471401971.png
69 KB, 414x431
Hi! It looks like you are comparing aspects of an ARPG to a CRPG.

Im sorry but you are wrong, (and probably retarded). You should go and read up on the difference of the two!

Have a good day Anon and remember!

Think before you post! <3
>>
>>340312840
CRPG are bad games, now what ?

shit >>>> morrowind
>>
It unironically is the best in the series.
Which should tell you pretty conclusively why Open World RPG's are a bad idea.
>>
>>340309704
friendly reminder that Cyradil was a rad jungle province before Oblivion retconned it into being generic medieval fantasy land
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.