[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do I just suck or is this game pretty difficult? I'm on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
File: Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png (108 KB, 256x351) Image search: [Google]
Super_Mario_Bros._3_coverart.png
108 KB, 256x351
Do I just suck or is this game pretty difficult? I'm on world 6 and i've already got like 10 game overs which is a bit unusual for a mario game
>>
by todays standards its a really hard game
>>
>>340302775
If you're having trouble with world six you're gonna be fucked for world eight. Those auto scrolling levels are legit challenging.
>>
The game is pretty fucking generous with extra lives, more so than 1, and not to mention the addition of holding inventory. It's definitely easier than 1, but it's not surprising most people today wouldn't be able to beat it.
>>
>>340303048
This. NES era games did not fuck around.
>>
>>340303462
I can literally beat one in 10 minutes.
>>
Mario is not that easy
>>
Git gud or do the 1up trick at w1-2 fag
>>
>>340303527
and nintendo should go back to the difficult gameplay because it is fun.
>>
for modern standards it is a challenging game.

Karmack had a hard time beating it a few years ago, and he had made a prototype port for pc in the early 90s of SMB3 (They showed it to Nintendo and they were not interested)

sorry for linking to Kotaku, there is a Karmack video about smb3 there

http://kotaku.com/5931474/ids-john-carmack-gets-a-reminder-on-how-mario-used-to-kick-our-ass
>>
>>340304394
Absolutely. I went through Punch Out NES recently and Mike Tyson/Mr Dream was something else. 1:30 seconds, one mistake, game over. Hope if they bring back any NES franchises, they also consider spiking the difficulty.
>>
>>340302775
You suck. Mario games were never hard. I don't understand why everyone complains that newer games are too easy when they've always been easy.
>>
>>340302775
It's definitely not going out of its way to make things easy.
>>
>>340303048
Nintendo's games were probably the easiest of the era. The big three arcade publishers were putting out much better and more challenging games, as were Capcom and Konami.
>>
>>340306307
>The big three arcade publishers

Data East, Irem and SNK?

Anyway, I dunno, SMB3 still stands as one of the best platformers IMO.
The only other series that comes close to Mario in terms of platforming is Hudson's Adventure Island.
>>
>>340306767
Sega, Namco, and Taito.
>>
>>340306767
Wonder Boy is better than Adventure Island in every way. Adventure Island is a straight downgrade.
>>
>>340302775
I played it when it came out and I only just beat it last week, it's fucking brutal by today's standards but must have seemed like babbies' first platformer to the Japs that had played the real SMB2.
>>
>>340307597
To be fair, the Lost Levels isn't exactly the most difficult platformer of its era.
>>
>>340307323

I dunno, I prefer straight platforming action over the RPG/metroid hybrid they did with the Wonder Boy series.

Wonder Boy III on Mega Drive is amazing though. Wish they did more like that.
>>
>>340306307

There's a reason they called the games "Nintendo hard" and it wasn't just because of third parties. Even games like Mario were giving people trouble. Better is also pretty debatable, platformers like Super Mario Brothers and adventure games like Zelda were top of the line, revolutionary even.
>>
>>340309102
The first Wonder Boy is better than the Adventure Island games. The Master System port is good.
All three Master System Wonder Boy games are great.
>>340309183
>There's a reason they called the games "Nintendo hard" and it wasn't just because of third parties.
I've never heard that, but Nintendo wasn't popular in Australia.
>Even games like Mario were giving people trouble.
There are much harder and better platformers. The only good thing about SMB is the life management.
>Better is also pretty debatable, platformers like Super Mario Brothers and adventure games like Zelda were top of the line, revolutionary even.
Eh, not really. I mean, maybe Zelda was new and interesting. But definitely not Mario.
>>
>>340309649

Oh shit, it's Australia-kun.
>>
>>340309649

But... the first Wonder Boy and the first Adventure Island are basically the same game, both the Master System Wonder Boy, and the Hudson Adventure Island were made by the same dev, Escape (Sega and Hudson were only publishers).
In fact, Adventure Island as a somewhat enhanced version of Wonder Boy since it has more music tracks.

Anyway, it's apples and oranges. I'm not saying Adventure Island is better than Wonder Boy, but I personally prefer the straight platforming action over the Metroidvania style of the subsequent Wonder Boy/Monster world games (excluding Monster Lair)
>>
>>340310321
But the music isn't exactly better in Adventure Island. I prefer the one track in Wonder Boy. Adventure Island just feels like a washed out Wonder Boy. I guess it depends what you grew up with.
>>
>>340310772

I actually grew up playing Wonder Boy in arcades, that's why I prefer the Adventure Island II, III and IV over the totally different Monster World games that took the Wonder Boy series on a different direction.

Both are still cool though, but if we're talking pure platformers, Adventure Island scratches that itch, Monster World games are more similar to Metroid and the like.
>>
>>340302775
World 7 was fucking brutal
>>
>>340302775
No idea what it is, but World 6 and 7 were just fucking brutal as hell for me. Way harder than 8. Dunno if it's because I got a ton of practice on 8 because I just skipped to it constantly as a kid, though.
>>
>>340302775
>not jumping from 1 to 8
aint no one got time for giant land horse shit
>>
>>340311037
I'd take Wonder Boy over the first Adventure Island. I've never played the others, but they seem like more of the same.
>>
>>340303531
t. flute user
>>
File: Adventure_Island_2_box_art.jpg (21 KB, 240x330) Image search: [Google]
Adventure_Island_2_box_art.jpg
21 KB, 240x330
>>340312953

Well, again, the difference between the first Adventure Island and Wonder Boy is just aesthetic stuff, the game is virtually the same since it was made by the same dev. Same physics and same level design.

If you like Wonder Boy 1, I suggest playing the rest of the Adventure Island series.
>>
>>340315292
Were the ever released on PC Engine?
>>
>>340315673

There is New Adventure Island on PC Engine, and it's pretty good also.
>>
File: slut.png (20 KB, 218x200) Image search: [Google]
slut.png
20 KB, 218x200
I smell australian rats in this thread
>>
>>340316796
I'll try to find that, then. I don't haven't imported a Famicom yet.
>>
>>340302775
Games generally took more dedication to master back then. I grew up with this type of game so I dont see that same difficulty. There were less good games to play. Literally had to get good
>>
>>340305401
If you're comparing this game to newer Mario games in terms of difficulty you're way off friend
>>
World 7 is gonna fuck your ass so hard
>>
>>340302775

a lot of the difficulty comes from learning the gimmick most levels have
>>
>>340317764
I guess pipe world's gimmic is being pure sadism.
>>
>first time playing SMB3
>got the tanooki suit
>hover over most of the courses
>finished the game in 6 hours

I should probably replay it sometime and not abuse the tanooki suit
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.