[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /v/ think of Radiant AI?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2
File: radiant ai.jpg (77 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
radiant ai.jpg
77 KB, 1440x1080
What does /v/ think of Radiant AI?
>>
YOU SEE THAT MOUNTAIN?
>>
>>340298746
Marketing buzzword. Complex NPC schedules have been around at least since Ultima 7.
>>
TELL ME LIES
>>
>>340298746
Radiant anything was a mistake. Don't try to make anything seem organic. Try to make things great with the end result becoming organic. Bethesda has great ideas but they've always shot for the lowest acceptable version of those ideas.
>>
why does /v/ hate todd howard
>>
supposedly Oblvion's AI was originally intended to contain no scripts just "goals" and the AI would act upon them. i remember reading somewhere years ago (probably here) that too much weird, unintended shit would happen because of it, like a shopkeeper buying stock from all the other shops and essentially becoming a walmart while the rest go out of business, or guards killing off entire towns. anyone have any sauce or more info on this kind of stuff?
>>
>>340299156
He's basically Molyneux accept he actually delivers but he's delivering flaming dog shit on your doorstep and asking for a tip.
>>
friendly reminder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjbx6-KQoRg
>>
>>340299598
that's actually why essential characters exist. they kept having main characters die on roads and there would be nothing the player could do, so they just let them live.
>>
It will never be as good as properly scripting events. Just like open world will never be as good as a linear \ metroid game
>>
>>340299706
No Molyneux is on a completely different level.
>>
I saw a mudcrab the other day. Horrible creatures!
>>
Cool. Makes the world feel more alive. Games like the Witcher 3 feel completely dead because all NPC's are just randomly spawning guys with no schedules or lives of anything at all.

>Look away for 5 seconds

>Look back

>Everyone is gone and replaced by different NPC clones
>>
>>340299598
That's the problem with complex AI. It sounds great on paper, but in reality the computer will be off doing weird shit that makes no fucking sense because it's communicating with itself to do shit with absolutely no feedback from the player, or signals to show what's going on. The computer is having all the fun while the player is left confused.
>>
INFINITE
QUESTS
>>
>>340298746

They say syndicates of wizards have led a boycott on Imperial goods in the lands of the Altmer.

Leave me alone!

Goodbye!

Bye.
>>
>>340300578
Sadly this.
>>
The only reason Todd handicapped the Radiant AI is because it was too advanced. He was on the verge of creating a sentient AI.
>>
>>340300406
At the same time it makes the world feel dead because the heavy resources every individual NPC takes means there's a massive limit on how many can be around. Even if they weren't developing for consoles only, even PCs can't handle more then a few dozen of them wandering around. It makes every city feel like a village and every massive monumental battle feel like a schoolyard brawl.
>>
>>340300618
That was some of the worst shit. I went to the same cave at least 7 times to get a book for that Orc's infinite library. I was hoping somewhere along the line it would finish and just have to be enabled again but it just sat in my quest menu making it look like there was more to do when it was just a shitty loop.
>>
>>340298981
fuck off retard, I would rather have radiant AI than NPCs staying at the same spot 24/7

now go jerk off to vivec
>>
>>340299598
sounds like how the ai in STALKER was so good a single group of loners could clean out the whole game and beat it before you could even progress
>>
File: ToddHoward.jpg (23 KB, 266x399) Image search: [Google]
ToddHoward.jpg
23 KB, 266x399
IT JUST WORKS!
>>
>>340299787
>and that just works through the system
TODD
>>
>>340298746
>we're too lazy to actually script AI interactions, so let's use half-assed procedural solution instead.
>>
>>340300892
You're wrong. The creation engine can handle very large amounts of NPC's with little slowdown. The background processing of NPC their radiant AI is also negligible in CPU cycles.

Go ahead right now and spawn in 1000. Yes 1000 of a single NPC type and the engine will run with barely any slowdown whatsoever.

Help raider 4

Player.placeatme #ID #amount
>>
>>340299598
>tfw there's no way to play with that fucked up AI with population and AI's activity doubled

It would be crazy but it'd actually be decent survival in a a land covered by madness. NPCs would be more than cunts who give you quests too.

I already imagine
>do some quest in some mountains
>another NPC got mad because he had some kinda "rest alone" and you were there so he got mad enough to rob all shops of weapons and went after you on foot to kill you
>all while some hobo is killing everyone because an apple fell of the barrel and he has "hates noise" thing or some shit
>>
>>340301129
You're an asshat if you think I was saying no AI was better than Radiant AI. Providing a generic, procedural path for every AI ends up becoming extremely samey. Rather, they could put in the work to make certain groups of NPCs different than others but it's not like Bethesda to make a game that doesn't rely on half-baked solutions to just about every problem that can't be put on the responsibility of the modding community.
>>
>>340302036
now that i have no interest to play Oblivion ever again, a Radiant AI mod would sure as hell change that.
>>
>>340298746
Is there any games that I can play liar for hire ?
>>
>>340299598
That was effectively saying that the AI would go to crazy lengths to achieve their goals rather than take on lives of their own and be sentient.

>>340301720
If the creation engine is as powerful as you say then Bethesda was either too lazy or retarded to settle for a war that had 12 guards fight 12 guards rather than say at least 30 on 30.

Seeing as the creation engine ISN'T actually as powerful as you say and also dependent on hardware running it, running 1000 instances of the same shell AI unit won't be as tasking another unit with more interactive options.
>>
>>340300406
And yet the Witcher has an actual city with lots of people while Elder Scrolls "cities" are like 3 houses with a few people who have names but still nothing of interest to say.
>>
>>340302603
You're talking about the Skyrim iteration. I'm talking about the fallout 4 iteration.
>>
>>340299706
Molyneux at least delivers part of the promised things while with bethesda you have disappointments all the way down.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.