[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How the fuck were you supposed to know to jump in the paintings?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: 1457424121012.png (1 MB, 1464x1024) Image search: [Google]
1457424121012.png
1 MB, 1464x1024
How the fuck were you supposed to know to jump in the paintings?
>>
>>340292357
They ripple. Doesn't take a fucking genius to work out they're some how interactive.
>>
The signs and toads that you would have seen if you decided to go back to the door.
>>
The manual
>>
>>340292357

The toad in the entrance hall rants about paintings and bowser. If you can read you know where to go. Shit bait thread 8/10 made me reply.
>>
File: 1465053914144.jpg (42 KB, 600x489) Image search: [Google]
1465053914144.jpg
42 KB, 600x489
>this bait again and again
>>
>>340292357
You had to misalign your qpus.
>>
If you touch the very bottom of the paintings they ripple slightly letting you know something's up but before that we need to talk about parallel universes
>>
>>340292357
BUT
>>
>>340292357
you're not. Save A presses you scrublord
>>
>>340292620
>you'll never again read the manual of your new game in the car ride home from the store
>>
>>340294412
FIRST
>>
Oh, it's this thread, again.
>>
How were you supposed to know where the wing cap was?
>>
>>340292357
holy fucking shit
neo gaming era has made all players retarded, they want everything easy in a silver plate, thats why nowdays you get a cinematic and auto play in every game ,instead of a real game thats playable and where you need to use your fucking brain
>>
>>340295210
>that new manual smell
>those amazing pictures hyping you up
>those nice descriptions of enemies and weapons
GG
>>
>>340292357
I think the real question is, how the fuck were you suppose to know to jump into the wall in the basement that ultimately leads you to shifting sand land? Was it the bunny chase that would've caused you to jump into it?
>>
>>340295663
>getting this upset over a b8 thread
>>
>>340295780
now that you mention it. I dwas 6 years old at the time. I have no idea how I figured that out. couldn't read english either.

Maybe soem friend told me
>>
>>340295397
LET´S
>>
>>340292357

The same reason I knew you could wall jump in Megaman X before I got it, TV commercials.
>>
I read it on /v/
>>
By not being a facebook normie retard with more than 0.5 seconds of attention span.
>>
I dunno, I just figured it out I guess. Not everything needs to tell you how to do it. I mean it's not as if they were always able to go and to tell you what the do with to the painting and jump into it though.
>>
>>340295780
the hallway was suspicious as hell though.
>>
>>340295997

Or maybe you just weren't retarded

>walk into the only door you can go in
>empty room with nothing but a painting
>camera wants you to look at it
>getting close makes it ripple, very obvious it's not normal
>>
>>340292357
What would a modern dev have done to tell you that you were supposed to jump into the painting /v/ ?
>>
>>340296986
Have a forced NPC tell you and ask you to demonstrate.
>>
>>340296506
BOOGIE
>>
>>340296887
>>walk into the only door you can go in
>>empty room with nothing but a painting
well he was talking about the shifting sand land which wasn't a painting just a wall you could jup into. Don't even think it rippled
>>
File: 324324234324.jpg (30 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
324324234324.jpg
30 KB, 480x360
>>340295210
Fuck, now I'm depressed. Back when they had the big boxes, opening them up was always a treat because you'd find stickers, posters, manuals, all sorts of goodies.
>>
How were you supposed to know jumping on a goomba would killthem?
>>
>>340297169

The wall rippled
>>
>>340295780
It ripples like the paintings
>>
>>340297154
SPOOKY
>>
banjo kazooie level entrances were way more fucked up than sm64
>>340296986
compasses, big fucking floating arrows, maybe a sign in large caps that says "jump through here, its a secret entrance"
>>
>>340295719
> those impossible beta screenshots with impossible item combinations printed on the backside of the box

Fuck adult link with kokiri sword.
>>
I just started the game and it doesn't even tell you how to move. WTF
>>
>>340296986
>you enter bowser castle (tutorial first would tell you to enter the castle)
>the toad in the main hall stops you in a forced cinematic cutscene with yellow glow filters
>40 lines of dialogue to explain that you need to jump on a painting, as the camera automatically moves to the bob-omb battlefield 0-star door, because fuck spending 10 seconds to try out all the 6 doors is bad game design
>"want me to explain it again?" confirmation defaulting to yes, so if you buttonmash he'll tell you once again just to be safe
>enter the painting room
>cutscene plays and mario jumps in a scripted event to show how it works, just to make sure, for the first time only
>>
>>340297386
Only if you interact with it. Why would somebody grope some nondescript wall without a reason?
>>
>>340298217
The painting is the only object in the room.
>>
>>340298340
You're not following. The main painting in the basement is lethal lava land and that obviously sticks out like a sore thumb.. But with shifting sand land, that has the appearance of a wall, how are you supposed to interact with it enough to know that it's another world?
>>
>>340298340
It's a brick wall texture, just like the rest of the walls in the area. And the only thing about that place is that the rabbit sometimes runs in there. Also the whole area is kind of like a maze with another dead-end, so one might think the entrance is just a dead end. Also the entrance to Lethal Lava Land is the nearest landmark, which is close enough that most people wouldn't think there's another level so close by.
>>
File: 1462213826911.png (67 KB, 212x336) Image search: [Google]
1462213826911.png
67 KB, 212x336
>enter a room
>big colorful bright painting right dead center in front of me surrounded by drab walls draws my attention
>little stairs in front of it subconsciously indicate to me that I'm meant to go toward it
>I bump into it
>it ripples
>leave the room, clearly nothing of interest there
but at least that princess is sexy, right fellas
>>
>>340295210
You shouldn't read while driving
>>
>>340295780

Remember when games could have well hidden content? The area is entirely optional, so it's not a problem if stupid people miss it.
>>
>>340298606
>>340298668
You mean other than the fact that it's a dead end corridor? Gee, I wonder why that exists.

>it's kind of a maze
You're just dumb as fuck, I think. If that structure is a maze to you, god forbid I hope you never played any other 3d game from that era.
>>
>>340295210

Now you are making me sad.
Now I remember how when we visited my grandparents how I got my newest GB game and sat in the car on the way home opening the box, the smell while reading the manual, and then playing the game on my green big Gameboy.

The game was Kirby's Dream Land 2
>>
>>340298606
One of the Toads tells you a world is missing it's painting
>>
>>340299224
It's not an actual maze, but it's certainly mazelike. They wouldn't make it complicated because it's the hubworld, but they certainly made it with the intention of being giving the impression of a maze. See: dead-ends, loops, split paths.
>>
The ads. The fucking free video tapes Nintendo gave away at the time. The vidya magazines. Seeing other people play it in-store.

I mean, would you really buy a console for a game without knowing what to expect in the game?
>>
>>340296986
You're expected to play with the game mechanics in the world to find solutions.

I know this is bait but it's depressing how much people expect games to spell things out nowadays

Look at the begin of Bioshock infinite, no, not the 'I know that card' meme. You're given a moral choice between throwing the ball at the couple or the announcer. The game give you a button prompt between the decision.

The developers couldn't let you decide by throwing in the ball in game.
>>
>>340292357
One of the toads tells you and they ripple when you get close.
>>
>>340295780
You're meant to accidentally come across it when you're chasing the rabbit.
>>
>>340292357
> this tutorial ridden generation
You just knew, because games based on your gaming instinct.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZtBCpo0eU
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.