[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why the Wild West genre so few? Is it not that popular? I know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6
File: ww.png (725 KB, 694x496) Image search: [Google]
ww.png
725 KB, 694x496
Why the Wild West genre so few? Is it not that popular? I know a dozen or so titles that exist, but shit like medieval times, and wars of past, have so many games by comparison.

I'm sure a lot of developers are old fags that grew up on Eastwood and Wayne. Why are we not drowning in Cowboy themed games?

I want a qt co-op Wild West title so bad..
>>
>>340289875
I'd argue that Red Dead Redemption was so perfect that we don't other cowboy games outside of an RDR sequel. Now if only somebody could come along and do the same for the samurai genre...
>>
>>340290271
>RDR sequel
RDR is a sequel to RDR
>>
>>340289875
It's a pretty niche genre, and tbqh red dead fulfills any requirement for it. I'd prefer more (good, open world) zombie-survival type games.
>Inb4 some stupid faggot "b-but there's LOADS OF ZOMBIE GAMES!!"
I know, and most of them suck dick.
>>
Because its romantic more than anything. Its a lot like pirate games in that there really aren't that many, especially not ones of quality. Though there are a fair number of western games, just not necessarily the kind you'd want.

There's a turn based couple, Wasteland 2ish, the CoJ games and Gunslinger which I highly reccommend, Gun which is basically RDR proto, Something Something Double barrel, quite a few SNES mecha/robot ones, Red Steel 2, sorta, a bunch of smaller, kind of weak shooters aside from Fistful of Frags.

You're practically fucked for co-op beyond CoJ BiB.
>>
File: 1463831338888.gif (2 MB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1463831338888.gif
2 MB, 500x500
>>340290402
>>340290271
This, we need red dead redemption 2
>>
>>340290402
Ready for Red Dead Revengence.
>>
>>340290271
Yakuza Isshin if you can deal with reading Jap. Absolutely fantastic.

Unless you want to go and find a modded PS3 and the translation injector.
>>
>>340290571
> niche genre,
this
>>
>>340290903
Its really not that niche. Its just not super profitable. When you compare how easy it is to make a game with ninjas, soldier guy, knight man or power armour person the west makes for a far harder seller.
>>
>>340290571
>>340290903
But it's not a genre.

>Hey, guys, we all like eggs (shooters), but eggs and toast is so fucking niche
>>
>>340291174
im sure westerns are popular but medieval games ( Skyrim, Witcher ) and Sci Fi games are way more profitable
but if you have something big like GTA then you can afford a risk like this
>>
Well that's the inherent issue. The cowboy is a womanizing drunk who chomps cigars, shoots people for looking at them funny and magically never misses while also being the coolest motherfucker in town. Oddly similar to the idea of pulp 20s-40s fiction.

But then, a knight's just dude in armour stuff and a soldier guy is just kill the nazis/towelheads/whomever is culturally accepted as the bad guy.

And everyone can get behind killing aliens.
>>
File: 1464288314497.jpg (52 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1464288314497.jpg
52 KB, 640x480
>tfw red dead will never come to pc and I can't stand the auto-aim lock-on system and dated last-gen performance.
>>
>>340292761
Turn off the auto-aim. Its literally an option. But you're right on the performance. It does run fairly well, though.

I mean, it'd be so much better with nude mods and lmao so wacky xD fun rooms, right? Where all guns shoot bison and you can spawn trains for le memes, right? God I hate what the PC community has become.
>>
File: 1463059511121.gif (660 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
1463059511121.gif
660 KB, 200x200
>>340293024
>God I hate what the PC community has become.
>>
>>340293024
Never going back to aiming with a joystick in a shooting game
>>
>>340293497
I'm sorry that Steam consolized the PC gaming market. I'm sorry that most PC games now are consistently dumbed down to make them acceptable for the 14 year old shit who wants to play the next big MOBA or gacca game. I'm sorry that Garry's mod and Source turned into lolsorandum sims instead of being the foundation upon which people with real talent build palaces. I'm sorry that we'll never see anything interesting or new released without having the dev demand 20k a month or be forced to insert PC opinions to keep people from being too offended. I'm sorry PC gaming is now a fucking cesspool just like what console gaming was in the early to mid 2000s.
>>
File: 1461848652789.jpg (32 KB, 633x738) Image search: [Google]
1461848652789.jpg
32 KB, 633x738
>>340289875
there is not high demand for them, westerns are usually popular with old people like my dad and my dead grandpa.
little urban youths like to drive cool cars and shoot guns and listen to nigger music
also RDR set the bar unbelievably high
>>
>>340293504
That's fair. I don't necessarily like using a mouse for some things but its definitely superior for shooting as far as accuracy and finesse goes.

I'll be right fucked if I ever have to try playing a fighting game or racing game on a keyboard again, though.
>>
>>340289875
Because the idea of a mans man like Eastwood is dead
>>
>>340294287
Doesn't set it that high rdr is open world big deal but combat is still shit
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.