[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>games you wish got more attention so they would get a sequel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: miasmata.jpg (333 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
miasmata.jpg
333 KB, 1600x900
>games you wish got more attention so they would get a sequel

Such a comfy survival horror-ish game. There was something very satisfying about uncovering the map through triangulation of landmarks. Being pursued by the creature was also thrilling without being frustrating and the way your character could stumble or fall if they ran too quickly down hill was novel.
>>
File: Original War.jpg (17 KB, 189x267) Image search: [Google]
Original War.jpg
17 KB, 189x267
Miasmata was absolutely bloody amazing, but it was a major financial failure and the studio (actually, just two brothers and their cat) gave up on game development. It was one of the games that got really unlucky and attained no support from the presses because it was just too weird for them to know what to do about it.

As for other games I wished got more support and love, I think of Original War, a fantastic and really clever RTS that got severally shafted in the development already, with a lot of content cut, then got (much like Miasmata) unfairly blasted by the presses and eventually fell into obscurity.
>>
File: 1464443493256.png (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
1464443493256.png
2 MB, 1920x1200
>>340281961
>you'll never hide in the bushes from time-travelling soviet deathsquads

>you'll never domesticate Homo Picensis and teach them to fire guns and raise the IQ of the American army.

>you'll never dig up prehistoric tiberium for the US of A
>>
>>340282291
More importantly:
>You'll never tame sabertooths and ride mammoths as an Arabian sheik in the single player campaign.
>You'll never learn anything more about the aliens that left the time machine and introduced Syberite into the world.
>>
>>340281961
Wow. That's even more depressing than what I thought had happened. I'm sure the game press was too busy focusing on yet another indie 2d platformer to appreciate when an indie dev tries to do something actually innovative.
>>
>>340282525
The main problem with Miasmata was that most people (including most journalists) thought it had clunky controls, and never really figured out the importance and effect of the momentum-driven movement system. They generally speaking thought the lack of fidelity in control over movement is a result of poor implementation, rather than a conscious decision.
That, and the lack of any kind of social or medial message in the title made it just awkward to the presses.
>>
>>340281621
The only thing worth keeping from the game is the mapping system. Even that needs to be revamped to points the player decides as landmarks, not the game. The line of sight mechanic is too frail to work on the Indie-level tier graphics.

The inventory system needs an overhaul, and a story besides finding the right flowers could make the player keep interested beyond 2-3 hours of play.

Monster needs to be scrapped, unless they add a proper stealth system (that isn't a CopyPaste of Amnesia or other tripe)
>>
>>340282751
Poor implementation could be a conscious decision.
>>
>>340282950
>Poor implementation could be a conscious decision.
The point is that the thing isn't poorly implemented. Well, it could be do with some polishing, but the way the movement works in this game is intentional and functional: it's a game turns traversing of terrain into an actual (core, no less) mechanic.
>>
>>340282796
>The only thing worth keeping from the game is the mapping system
And the motion system. And the monster A.I. Actually, the game is full of fantastic mechanics and ideas and systems that don't get enough space to shine, which isn't surprising for a two-people made game. Which is all the more reason why it deserved a sequel with better funding.
>>
>>340283170
Alright I'll check it out.

Here's the link for anybody else interested.

https://kat.cr/miasmata-bonus-gog-t6860619.html
>>
>>340283170
>it's a game turns traversing of terrain into an actual (core, no less) mechanic.

Can you elaborate?

If the character feels like he's walking on fucking grease the whole time, it's gonna make the game feel like shit to play.
>>
>>340283643
It doesn't feel like that though. The game creates a challenge out of traversing densely forested, uneven terrain, which is what a survival game should do.
>>
>>340282796
I loved the minimal story and it kept me interested throughout the game. The tone of the game relies on a sense of isolation and bewilderment, having a more elaborate, overt story would have most likely ruined the general atmosphere.
>>
>>340283643
>Can you elaborate?
Choosing the right path is the difference between life and death in this game. Your character has momentum, very much like people do in real life. If you run downhill, you'll start to gain momentum, and it will become increasingly difficult to stop yourself - at certain speed the risk of tripping over becomes very real, and tripping over wounds you, sometimes quite gravely. Finding a safe way to get down from a top of a steep hill actually requires you to think ahead. All of this becomes twice as important as you realize how important it is to find vantage points for navigation, or when you are trying to run away from the monster.
The movement system feels very awkward at first, because your character constantly "slips" and jerks around (this is also partially caused by the fact that you are barely-living seriously ill husk of a human), but once you realize it's not imprecision, it's just your body reacting to the terrain, and start to learn how to work with it, it's actually quite amazing and allows for some REALLY neat moments.

Basically, this is a game where moving from point a to point be is a matter of thinking ahead, assessing risks that path can produce, trying to not get lost in the process, taking advantage of the terrain, or getting completely screwed by it.
>>
>>340284138
this guy gets it
>>
The problem with talking about games that did not get as much attention as they deserved:
Nobody knows them and there for nobody wants to talk about them.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.