[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FTL thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7
File: FTLSlider2.jpg (23 KB, 616x353) Image search: [Google]
FTLSlider2.jpg
23 KB, 616x353
Because fuck you, it's the best thing to come out of Kickstarter. It does have flaws, though. I wish it had a shorter mode that took only 10-15 minutes instead of the full half hour.
>>
>>340257068
I wish I wasn't so fucking terrible at it
>>
Are you even reading the stuff if you beat it in 30 minutes?
>>
While it IS the best thing to come out of Kickstarter, it's not a true Kickstarter game.

The game was already developed, created, and tested before the Kickstarter even launched. In fact, the game was close to done when they launched the Kickstarter - the beta was ready a few weeks after the Kickstarter ended.

Kickstarter was mainly used to set up their actual business with a business license, to license the (fucking awesome) soundtrack, and just for general polish - the only thing to truly change thanks to the kickstarter was the creation of the Crystal race, and that was only because of the backer that pledged $2000.

So yeah. Great game that was released using Kickstarter, but it wasn't created using Kickstarter, so I feel that stating it's a Kickstarter game is cheating a bit.
>>
>>340258316
Well then what's the best Kickstarter game?
>>
>>340258418
Isn't shovel knight a Kickstarter game?
>>
>>340257068
>it's the only decent thing to come out of Kickstarter.
Fixed.
>>
>>340258418
There aren't any. When people get free money in advance, they tend to just do the bare minimum not to get sued (and since you can't even get sued with KS, most don't even make a game).
>>
I never beat this game on normal. Help me faggits
>>
>>340258902
gitgud
>>
>>340258418

Shadowrun Returns, Shovel Knight, The Banner Saga, and Divinity Original Sin are all actually good games to come out of Kickstarter. They all have numerous faults though, especially relating to stretch goals, late launches, and generally not being as good as the prequels / games they're inspired by.

Shitty ones would be things like Wasteland 2, Hyper Light Drifter, Mighty No. 9, Broken Age, and Pillars of Eternity. None of these are GOOD games, some are even bad, and they're all plagued by the same issues as the good games except, unlike the good games, these ones aren't generally fun to play.

I don't know if there's a "best" game, since it seems like it's like trying to measure the tallest midget.

FTL gets an honorary mention because it needed Kickstarter to be released, but it was all but finished by the time it started.
>>
>>340258902
Me neither, I feel I'm missing some vital strategies
>>
Almost beat this on hard, but realised I had no weapons that deal damage by the final stage.

Made do with the AI and killing systems, but couldn't keep up when it got drones.
>>
>>340257068
>Because fuck you

>>>/reddit/
>>
>>340257068
>used to be able to beat the game on hard
>can't beat the game on normal on this new advanced mode
Tons of new stuff wtf.
>>
>>340259982
Wasn't hard added at the same time as the advanced content?
>>
>>340259982
the new stuff is strong as fuck and creates even more avenues to win by in competent hands
>>
>>340259105
>wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity grouped with Might No. 9
Trying a bit too hard there aren't you?
>>
>>340260217
depends on how you use it though, and some of the new systems require a bit of planning to use against the boss
like say mind control is not particularly useful as a tool for killing crewmembers against the final boss but what it does do is help ensure your volley hits by mind controlling the pilot right before it impacts
and course certain new items are virtually useless like most of the charge weapons
>>
>>340260730
I'm quite fond of the laser that allows 4 charges.
The 2 charge one is garbage though.
>>
>>340258902
>>340259156
Dying before the end?
It's RNG bullshit.

Dying during the end?
It's a horribly balanced phase 2 boss that makes an entire weapon class (missiles) useless and requires you to have picked up cloak or get lucky with maxed engines.

They couldn't into balance so they just put a little message in there about trying your best and not expecting to win every time. Play a better game and save yourself the headache. It's a shame because I love so many of the mechanics in this game, but the RNG just pisses me off when the past 30 minutes was for nothing.
>>
>>340257937
It really is damned hard. Still haven't beaten hard in advanced
>>
>>340260981
only time I've seen truly bad RNG was when the first stage of the boss managed to hack my cockpit through a defense drone

btw if the stage 1 boss manages to attach a hacking device to either your cockpit or weapons system do not continue that fight, jump away and try again because that lil' modifier is WAY to significant
>>
Shovel knight was a pretty good kickstarter as well. Even if you dont like the game at least yacht club delivered a finished polished product. Tbh ftl and shovel knight are the only good games I know of to come out of kickstarter.
>>
I play on Easy
>>
>>340259105
Undertale
And before you go on about it yes the fan base is cancer but I still had fun.
>>
>>340261383
I play for the story
>>
>>340260730
You have to be pretty precise with that though since the moment you MC the pilot, the guy in shield room runs in and activates the "guy in room but not manning" bonus.
>>
>>340260981
Or you just get lucky and pick up a vulcan.
Flak spam works well to
>>
>>340259105
>Hyper Light Drifter
>Shit

>Wasteland 2 and PoE
>as bad as Mighty No.9 Broken Age

My man kill your selve.
>>
File: this is fine.png (234 KB, 397x546) Image search: [Google]
this is fine.png
234 KB, 397x546
I fucking love this game.
>>
>>340257068
I played this game 20+ hours and I loved it but I still haven't beaten it.
I came closest on easy and there I got rekt by the rebel flagship.
So guys any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>340257068
I wish is has some form of co-op.

I found that Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime takes the same concept and makes it co-op, but my friend doesn't want to be caught playing such a girly/gay game.
>>
>>340261646
yup but arguably proper volley timing is one of the most critical skills for a successful hard mode run anyways
to many people complain about the game being hard but then do things like just putting all their weapons on auto fire
(do note auto fire is not always bad and can be a great tactic on 4 weapon ships like say the starting kestrel type b if you auto fire one of the 4 lasers a split second before the other 3)
>>
>>340258201
You mean you don't know every event by heart just by reading the first two words?
>>
>Get clonebay
>Think I'm finally able to take the non-blue options without risks
>"You stop the cloning process because.."
>"You stop the cloning process because..."
>"You stop the cloning process because..."
>>
>>340262225
>VS mode
>Game start you up on a timer
>Both player venture around until the timer runs out
>both players must then fight to the death

I guess if you HAD to you could make both players have the same seed to keep it balanced.
>>
I really wish it had an open world like M&B or starsector

and coop
>>
>>340262698
Where would coop fit in?
>>
>>340257068
>Android when ;_;
I want to play it on the go...
>>
>>340262927
Could have larger more complicated ships, more interactive weapons/systems. So basically two players on the same ship.

Or could have two players (or more) with their own ships that fight together against multiple other enemies.
>>
Top tier:
-Pegasus Missile
-Burst Laser Mark II
-Chain Vulcan
-Ion Blast Mark II
-Halberd Beam
-Breach Bomb II
-Flak Gun I
-Adv Flak Gun

Good tier:
-Breach Missile
-Swarm Missiles
-Burst Laser Mark III
-Glaive Beam
-Breach Bomb I
-Ion Bomb
-Flak Gun II

Decent Tier:
-Hermes Missile
-Dual Lasers
-Laser Charger (L)
-Laser Charger (S) improved version
-Ion Charger
-Chain Ion
-Small Bomb
-Fire Bomb

Bad Tier:
-Artemis Missile
-Burst Laser Mark I
-Hull Smasher Laser
-Hull Smasher Laser Mark II
-Chain Burst Laser
-Ion Blast
-Pike Beam
-Healing Burst Bomb
-Crystal Lockdown Bomb
-Crystal Burst Mark I
-Crystal Burst Mark II

Shit Tier:
-Leto Missile
-Hull Missile
-Basic Laser
-Heavy Laser Mark II
-Laser Charger (S)
-Heavy Ion
-Ion Stunner
-Mini Beam
-Fire Beam
-Anti-Bio Beam
-Repair Burst Bomb
-Stun bomb

Beyond Shit Tier:
-Heavy Laser Mark I
-Heavy Crystal Mark I
-Heavy Crystal Mark II
>>
>>340262698
There is some mods for that, that make the game infinite.
This + the weapon mod that randomize and create 9000+ weapons is how I play.
>>
>>340263287
It's called captains edition.
Pretty neat.
>>
>>340263032
Got it on my ipad. One of the few games that works really well with a touchscreen. Shame its not out on Android yet.
>>
>>340263395
>>340263032
devs said they looked at a mobile version but phone screens are simply to small to allow for proper gameplay
>>
File: 1463198525549.gif (855 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1463198525549.gif
855 KB, 500x281
>>340263192
can't tell if this post is a joke due to the entire 'beyond shit' tier while putting BL3 as good.
>>
I wonder if a battle mode where both players get a certain amount of scrap to buy shit with beforehand could work
>>
>>340263486
Shame, I could see it being a struggle on phones, but most Android tablets should be ok.
>>
>>340263549
Dont see why not. Apart from there being no internet infrastructure for the game there is no reason it wouldn't work.

Its a pretty fun way to do combat
>>
>>340263395
I almost buy some old iPad just for that
>>340263486
And that's mostly bullshit, my phone has a stylus and a >fullHD def.
They even somehow ported on HTML5 or something, I don't know the tech but I can run it in a browser on humblebundle...
Time to get a Surface I guess...
>>
>>340258418
Expeditions Conquistador is pretty nice.
>>
>>340263486
>>340263395
Android is tablet as well buddy.
>>
Reminder that there's no fast forward key and there never will be.
>>
>>340259105
Divinity: Original Sin was already being developed before the kickstarter using the company's own resources. Larian started the kickstarter to get more money for development, but their own money and own asses were already fully invested and dependent on the game succeeding, unlike certain other kickstarters.
>>
>>340263782
>Implying there should be
>>
>>340263507
BL3 has fairly good shield penetration and on 3 weapon slot ships is a fantastic option as a result

and for the beyond shit tier: If you in any way try to defend the heavy laser mark I your opinions are disregarded, its that bad.
Now the Heavy crystals, I can see why they'd surprise you but on any ship other than the crystal ships themselves they are simply the worst possible options. Their shield penetration is only relevant early game, BUT unless you are playing a crystal ship it is impossible to GET them early game.
Late game they offer nothing but disadvantages. Their 1 shield penetration actually hurts their synergy, their cooldowns are long for their damage and they can be shot down without providing proper protection for other P/D vulnerable weapons due to being only 1 shot

do note I also put the basic laser in shit tier despite the kestrel b, which starts out with 4 of them, being one of the best possible starting ships simply due to the fact that a single basic laser is shit
>>
>>340263865
If you're not using a boarding build, yes. God yes.
>>
>>340263192
Top tier:
-Glaive Beam

Everything else:
>everything else
>>
>>340263950
battles don't take that long and I could see people pressing a fast forward button and suddenly the enemy ship jumps away and fleet pursuit gets doubled or something like that
>>
>>340264103
Get a load of this guy!
>>
>>340263902
>Heavy laser 1 while flat out better than basic laser is somehow worse
Yup, a joke list.
>>
>>340264103
glaive beam is fantastic, right up to the moment your weapon room is hit
want an exaggerated demonstration of this, stealth b is a good choice
>>
>>340264215
basic laser cannot be bought or found, it comes only on 2 ships, and one of those ships is fantastic
heavy laser costs 50 scrap

basic laser is better by virtue of not taking away a shop slot or random event option
>>
>>340263697
It wasn't HTML5 but rather some addon on firefox that was meant to replace flash.
>>
Game is fun, but once you unlock all ships there isn't much to do and Advanced Edition made it so you don't need to search for quests to unlock ships which is fucking gay. Only things I liked about that expansion was new weapons and all characters not looking same anymore.
>>
>>340264669
quests are still ingame and the rewards of the quests have been increased so it is always beneficial to do them
especially the crystal quest, if you can do it, go for it because that's a god damn extra sector
>>
File: 1419375670945.png (121 KB, 212x389) Image search: [Google]
1419375670945.png
121 KB, 212x389
>tfw you've beaten the game with every ship that doesn't suck
>>
>>340264751
beat it with every ship save for slug B
fuck slug B, fuck it hard
>>
File: 1464111879773.png (56 KB, 233x220) Image search: [Google]
1464111879773.png
56 KB, 233x220
>>340257068
>that one random event made by a backer
>very clearly cartoon horses
>option to take some to sell
>always causes them to force you off the plant sometimes killing one of your crew
This is that green furry kangaroo levels of fuckery
>>
>>340264740
I mean finding ship quest were harden than just rushing through game once and it was much better feel to discover them yourself than just getting federation to donate them all to you in few hours for being good boy and delivering them information.
>>
File: 1445438171275.jpg (44 KB, 331x270) Image search: [Google]
1445438171275.jpg
44 KB, 331x270
>>
>>340262568
Only really happens with events involving some kind of infection, doesn't it?
>>
>>340264669
Get the Captain's Edition.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.