[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The story, while it's not offensive is excessively preachy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 27
File: undertale-font.jpg (35 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
undertale-font.jpg
35 KB, 1024x1024
The story, while it's not offensive is excessively preachy and annoying. The characters are obnoxious one note tropes, the combat is alright, and the music is decent.
>>
Seems like a middle of the road review that perfectly defines the game overall. Nothing special, but still fun.
>>
>Music
>Simply decent

Its literally on par with Sega. You're simply being contrarian because so many tumblrites and autists like it, so if you admit you genuinely like something from it you will somehow be associated with them in some way.

Eat shit, OP.
>>
>>340249245
Maybe if you'd stop displaying your autism while talking about the game there wouldn't be so many people ashamed to admit they like it.
>>
It's an alright game, but a game that should have been a hidden gem due to the abysmal crowd it attracts.
>>
>>340249456

This literally just proves my point. You'll just label anyone who likes it as autistic and then blame them that you are the way you are.

Stop caring so much what other people think and enjoy the game on its own merits, nerd.
>>
>>340249546
That'll do anon, that'll do.
>>
I think the music is genuinely great, and I didn't even like this game all that much.
>>
>>340249083
My take on Undertale

Music is good, but that's about it, it's not fantastic or anything it literally sounds like any other soundtrack for an RPG out there, Toby has a talent for some great music as there is genuinely good stuff in there, but many of the songs are hardly original

Combat is a neat mixture of flying shooters with avoiding projectiles and WarioWare minigames, probaly the most fun part of the game because you're always wondering what new attack you might get hit as, even though for random encounters is annoying because you gotta ''wait'' through the enemy's turn so it's your turn again ad nauseum

Story is about as basic as you can get, with lots of writing/story cues taken from EarthBound/Mother 3, and I do mean a lot, sometimes the writing itself is tolerable, enjoyable even as it manages to make you care about certain characters, but things like Undyne's date, Flowey in general and a lot of the ''you feel something'' stuff is annoying, cringe-inducing at its worst.

The characters are part inconsistent, part well-written, Sans going from laid-back wisecrack to serious business does not work at all, Undyne is dumb, again, Flowey does not work in many places, but in cases like Papyrus and Toriel, everything around those characters work.

The game's true innovation however is indeed the Sparing mechanic, but its head got too far up its ass with the homosexual romances, apeing Mother 3 and anime battles to actually have it mean anything other than you chose not to kill anyone.

I loved the atmosphere, the envoirments, even though there was only 4 of them all felt great and the game's length/pace made it an easy playthrough on the stomach, it's certainly not the best thing ever but I can see where the autism came from.

I enjoyed it, Undyne is still best girl.
>>
>>340250293
Not a bad review. Although most of the characters I find boring, it's nice to hear someone likes 'em.
>>
http://pastebin.com/f31AJx4J
>>
>>340250293

If I may do a take on your take of Undertale.

>Music is good, but that's about it,
I have to disagree. It's really far out there. It's a little unoriginal, but it does convey emotion more than the story itself does. Asgore's theme is sad while imposing, Papyrus is whacky but determined, Undyne is a heroic kind of vibe to her, and Megalovania is always a classic.

>Combat is a neat mixture of flying shooters with avoiding projectiles and WarioWare minigames, probaly the most fun part of the game
I think you're dead on here. You hit it right on the head, although I have to complain about why he didn't finish hard mode. For release, I understand, but it's been more than 6-7 months since release, he could've tried improving replayability.

>story
>but things like Undyne's date, Flowey in general and a lot of the ''you feel something'' stuff is annoying, cringe-inducing at its worst.
Again, I have to agree with you. I don't find much merit in the story, and to add on I wish the cutscenes were skippable. It's 2016, that shouldn't be acceptable.

>The characters are part inconsistent, part well-written,
You said this well. I have no disagreements whatsoever. Favorite character is definitely Asgore and Papyrus. A combination of tragedy and juvenile enthusiasm is always great character traits when done right.

>The game's true innovation however is indeed the Sparing mechanic, but its head got too far up its ass with the homosexual romances
Agreed on that. The game needed more substance to the combat and gameplay. Maybe have monsters become wise to your sparing tactics and adjust accordingly.

>it's certainly not the best thing ever but I can see where the autism came from.
I think this is a fair assessment. I'd like to consider it as my thoughts on the game too. A 6/10 overall.
>>
>>340250541
I think part of me wanted to like Alphys more, yes her meme talk is annoying as fuck when it's constantly interrupting you while doing those baby puzzles at Hotland, but the whole character was appealing in which it's a very accurate portrayal of a weeb of the worst kind, problem is, the entire game suddenly revolves around her towards the end, she reminded me of Jar Jar Binks' whole development as a character in The Phantom Menace, really.
>>
>>340251063

My problem with Alphys was that she just kinda gets away with being a nazi experimental murder doctor, and her victims don't even mind being horrible abominations even against their own kind. Worse yet, she gets the girl in the end, like it's some kind of cheap anime ending

Was that like the point of her character arc? Some kind of cheeky "anime IS real" meta joke?
>>
>>340251264
>like it's some kind of cheap anime ending
That's the joke
>>
>>340251264
Eh... I don't care much about the morality, and yet there are lots of people who share your same sentiment, it's better to brush it off in the long run. There isn't won't be social justice to bring her down, plus it's better to leave some sense of ambiguity at the end.
>>
>>340251264
That whole section of the game is basicaly a BIG story point and just like that, it's forgotten.

As part of Alphys' development it essentially makes the whole game revolve around her, giving her more backstory and development than the other characters in their own respective arcs, and yet the game shrugs it all off, nothing comes out of the story arc in which you discover that Alphys did Nazi-tier experiments, and after focusing on her for a whole chapter after your fight against Asriel there is hardly any consequence to the whole thing, so it isn't ''lol whatever'', it's pointless, everything about Alphys becomes pointless, her whole falling for Undyne thing is pointless, it's not making fun of Anime tropes or romances in general, it's a crucial element of the story and it serves no purpose other than to just have it and give Alphys an abnormally amount of focus
>>
>>340252146
Basically an unfired Chekhov's gun.
>>
>>340249083
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arh0mzaQhSE this is basically what he said
>>
File: Moloch_the_god.gif (77 KB, 319x561) Image search: [Google]
Moloch_the_god.gif
77 KB, 319x561
Asriel = another name for Azriel (AKA Izrail, Azrin, Izrael, Azrael, Azrail, Ezraeil, Azraille, Azryel, Ozryel, or Azraa-eel), a Hebrew Angel/Demon, the God of Death, and some say he is the same entity as Sariel (AKA Seriel, Sauriel, Surya, Saraqael, Sarakiel, Suruel, Surufel or Sourial), demon son of Lilith and Samael, the blind God, who also identifies with the Angel Metatron (UNDERTALE's Mettaton). Yet another deity associated with Azriel is Raziel, and some believe they are the same being. Raziel (under the alternate name Galizur ("Revealer of The Rock")) is described as the "ruling prince of the 2nd Heaven." He is said to expound the "Torah's divine wisdom," and protects the ministering angels from the Hayyoth (four-faced anthropoid beasts), the "holy Creatures" that uphold the universe. He is the Archangel of the Ophanim, the wheel angels.

UNDERTALE is Jewish mysticism propaganda. Toby Fox is, quite literally, a Jewish shill who secretly tries to normalize the Hebrew Satanic cult of Remphan and Moloch and make it accessible to children.
Gas the kikes.
>>
>>340252295
I think you mean Cannon.
>>
>>340249083
To each their own.
I personally thought the story, although unoriginal, was told in such a way that it felt refreshing.

The characters to me, although they didn't have too much depth with some exceptions, were very well-written, and I genuinely didn't expect some things certain characters did.

Combat is fun enough, but not the focus of the game, regardless.

Music if fantastic IMO, but again, to each their own.

Megaovania is still stuck in my fucking head, help me.
>>
>>340252396
I'll link you $25 right now on Paypal if you to stop posting this on EVERY Undertale thread.
>>
>>340252562
>help me
Commit suicide.
>>
>>340252662
I would but meh, not worth the effort.
>>
>>340252653
Found the triggered Jew.
You can't buy me, kike.
>>
File: 1454073421165.jpg (386 KB, 907x1200) Image search: [Google]
1454073421165.jpg
386 KB, 907x1200
Chara a best girl, to be honest
>>
>>340252831
fuck off pedo scum
>>
>>340249083
It's good but what's with the fucking sekret klub bullshit. It's so hipstery. Any type of criticism it's "IT'S 2DEEP4U" bullshit.
>>
File: New Canvas78.png (189 KB, 580x700) Image search: [Google]
New Canvas78.png
189 KB, 580x700
>>340252897

Don't get too triggered there, bud.
>>
>>340252923
go back to >>>/pol/
>>
File: 1454487731481.png (288 KB, 640x653) Image search: [Google]
1454487731481.png
288 KB, 640x653
>>340252897
no
>>
I've never played Earthbound for more than like 20 minutes, so I can't really say I have the full context as far as the story goes

Music is good, spider dance is best

characters are mostly okay, Alphys is obnoxious

fighting is fun, genocide route Undyne is probably my favorite fight in the game

fuck homestuck
>>
>>340252994
Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>340252994
>>340252923
>if you disagree with a rightist, you must be a tumblr
>if you disagree with a leftist, you must be a /pol/
somebody please fuckin wake me up from this nightmare world already
>>
File: end it.png (121 KB, 476x380) Image search: [Google]
end it.png
121 KB, 476x380
>>340252831
>girl
>>
>>340253142
>>340253183
>>>/pol/
>>
>>340253294
>>>/pol/
>>
>>340249546
you're only making yourself look like a retard here
>>
File: Tumblr_nvujj3gQTf1r9xrggo2_250.gif (143 KB, 244x228) Image search: [Google]
Tumblr_nvujj3gQTf1r9xrggo2_250.gif
143 KB, 244x228
>>340249083
>The characters are obnoxious one note tropes
This probes that you haven't finished the game.

Each character starts with an one-dimensional attitude, but they show a more deep personality once you befriend them or you decide to kill them.
>>
>>340252994
>>340253294
Undertale is not a deep game anon. Stop treating t like no one else can't even understand it. Faggot.
>>
File: 1454761991324.jpg (142 KB, 1067x1281) Image search: [Google]
1454761991324.jpg
142 KB, 1067x1281
>>340253232
Chara is love
Chara is life
>>
>>340253459
>He doesn't understand the plot
>>
File: 1464005527756.jpg (30 KB, 429x441) Image search: [Google]
1464005527756.jpg
30 KB, 429x441
>>340253478
>girl
>>
>>340253519
2DEEP4U
>>
File: 1454714515735.jpg (33 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1454714515735.jpg
33 KB, 500x500
>>340253527
ₒᶦ‿ᶦₒ
>>
>>340249083
More interesting than whatever faggo point OP is trying to prove to paint Toby in a bad light, is the whole debacle surrounding So Sorry.

like the creator of So Sorry had pretty innocuous reasons for buying a high donation tier and his original 'pitch' of his encounter was totally harmless

and then apparently toby gave the dude's cameo over to someone else who knew his sordid hobby/commission work of diaperfurs or whatever and poisoned Toby and the other devs against him over it, leading toby to offer So Sorry a refund and be like "let's just not bother"

and when so sorry told him he didn't want the refund, he got a shittier 'compromise' of his original idea because the guy coding it didn't care to put extra work into the whims of a diaperfur, even though he paid fair and square to get his cameo

like overall it is very surreal that within undertale, the moral is understanding and coexistence, while the devs took a big shit over this one backer and ruined the character encounter he paid for, just cuz they didn't like his fucked up fetish art.
>>
>>340253634
Go on then. What's the point of the game? Demonstrate to me how shallow your understanding is.
>>
>>340253440
No not really, characters mostly start out and end the same, with the exception of Alphys who has the most development out of all the characters and even then she is missing the last few steps of her development, skipping to the end where she literally gets the girl
>>
>>340249546
You are literally insulting anyone that has a differing opinion about a game than you, and you can't see the problem here?
>>
>>340253756
You see how much of a faggot this guy is? I betcha it's the same type of faggot that just graduated from high school and thinks he knows everything.

Stop listening to your shit garbage metal bands faggot. You sound like a complete retard.
>>
>>340253721
>Source: My ass

Toby said on his twitter that all of the bonus boss creators were happy with their inclusions, and that guy himself said he was fine with it. It's a hidden-as-fuck easter egg because the creator wanted it to be.
>>
>>340253440
I'm sorry that you think wooden characters are "deep."
>>
>>340253872
>Literally afraid to post a simple summary of the game

kek
>>
>>340253440
Just leave your head canons back on deviantART of Fanfiction.net

These characters were boring.
>>
>>340254035
>little girl falls into some fucking underworld filled with cucked monsters being BTFO by humans
>MEMES, MEMES EVERYWHERE

So deep bro.
>>
>>340249083
>>340249146
You're both pretentious, over analyzing faggots and your taste in games in shit, please leave and never return.
>>
Nice personal blog faggot
>>
>>340254053
The only headcanon worth believing in is Steven after not surviving
>>
>>340254171
Over analyzing what? I gave my simple impressions of a game I think has blown way out of proportion.

People have actually written whole essays on Undertale.
>>
>>340254310
Kek
>>
File: 1446835267661.png (7 KB, 508x622) Image search: [Google]
1446835267661.png
7 KB, 508x622
>>340253954
His encounter was hidden because the creator was aware he was kind of a weirdo, and just wanted to be part of the game cuz he liked the concept so much. Keep in mind there were 2 years between the KS and Undertale, and according to So Sorry ( http://samael.tumblr.com/post/143135058955/undertale-so-sorry-addendum ) he wasn't given any reasons for concern until the game was close to finished and Toby tried to offer him an 'out'.

Also So Sorry's creator is not listed in the credits. To everyone involved, the guy and his OC were kept at arm's length like they didn't want him associated with the game

i was just pointing out the interesting irony of it, considering the moral of the game.
>>
File: 1447683858363.jpg (874 KB, 854x1195) Image search: [Google]
1447683858363.jpg
874 KB, 854x1195
I liked it a bunch when it came out but I've kinda cooled off on it. I actually like watching speed runs of it for some reason. There's a lot of finesse trying to mash through all the dialog as fast as you can and the glitches are neat in it.
>>
>>340254310
Who?
>>
Furfag game.
-1/10
>>
>It's a /v/ shitposts about a flavor of the month game long after it died thread
>>
File: Based Tyrone.gif (3 MB, 240x234) Image search: [Google]
Based Tyrone.gif
3 MB, 240x234
>>340254310
>>
>>340249083
>undertale thread
>huge amounts of shitposting
Of course.

It was a cute game and I wanted to fuck the characters, other than that pretty unimpressive. Liked the music more than most vidya music, but that's saying very little. Don't like bullet hell gameplay, but it was fine I guess.
Went to /utg/ once to discuss my opinions, skeleton tentacle penises chased me out pretty fast.
Any discussion of the game is cancer from its haters or lovers, just don't do it and save yourself the trouble.
>>
>>340253756
The point of the game is that life is useless. All the characters are just peons of god.

The whole story is around the battle of two gods, you and flowey. How power is nothing when you don't have someone to use on it.

There are other stories involved, including Sans, which he was the only one who could know about the time travel of both Flowey and you, and how he tried (and fail) about broken such curse (twice)

>>340254053
All of this is in-game.

>>340253846
>>
>>340249083
Please anon, it died, let it stay dead.
>>
>>340253721
>defending a furfag

I want 4chan back.
>>
>>340254505
erry time
>>
>>340254584
It's pretty alive, dude
>>
>>340254584
>Implying a masterpiece die
>>
I liked that the genocide route took the logical extreme to what a hardcore level grinder would actually be like in a game.
>>
>>340254564
>Went to /utg/ once to discuss my opinions, skeleton tentacle penises chased me out pretty fast.
>Any discussion of the game is cancer from its haters or lovers, just don't do it and save yourself the trouble.
This, to be honest. I have found literally zero good places to talk about UT. /vg/ is full of fags, mutants, and children. Tumblr is full of fags, mutants and children. Reddit is full of fags, mutants, and children. Starman is full of fags, mutants, and children. /v/ is full of fags, mutants, and children. There's nothing out there. Literally even try to prove me wrong, I dare you, I double dare you, motherfucker.
>>
>>340254659
I haven't seen a thread on here in quite a while. Maybe i just wasnt paying attention
>>340254690
>How am grammar work
>>
>>340254690
S U B J E C T I V E
>>
>>340254796
thats likely because of the massive amount of shitposting it brings. its really better just to talk to people/friends who you know like it than to bring it up on /v/.
although bringing it up here does remind me of some of those glory days of /v/ getting mad at literally every fucking game anyone likes.
>>
>>340254643
>implying someone's fetish has anything to do with anything

he could have a hard-on for clowns shoving spaghetti in each others assholes, doesn't matter, dude put down money and the way he was treated clashed heavily with the moral undertale was supposed to be pushing, that's all i was saying.

doesn't seem like he was ever under the impression being in the game would validate was a pathetic being he was, he seems fully aware of what he is
>>
>>340254903
I honestly didnt think there was anymore to be said on the game. shitpost or no
>>
shitty tumblr meme game only played by degenerate alaskan faggot goatfuckers, memesexual neomillennial californian cocksuckers, and tumblrmutant memegendered australian fat neckbeards
>>
There is literally nothing left to talk about with this game. It's been done to death and no hard mode update or expansion in the future.
>>
>OP states objective truths about the game
>no fuk u op ur dumb its bettar than dat cuz i said so and it appeels to my autism
Undertale fans everyone.
>>
>>340255012
Furfaggotry isn't a fetish, it's a weirdo cult. This used to be understood. He shouldn't have been in the game at all, it's an act of supreme charity that he was put in.

>I know my fetish is weird and gross, but I absolutely must subject it to others! No, I wont take your refund; everyone must see my my autistic masterpiece!
>>
>>340255167
The only thing anons are debating are the one-side characters and the music. Everything else he said is alright.

Chill out.
>>
>>340255070
well thats definitely true, so people bringing it up likely only want shitposting or just beat it and have a opinion they want to share.
>>
>>340254118
Thanks, screencapped for future keks. You haven't even played the game, have you? And of course you won't either , because you're so afraid of m-muh MEMES which the game doesn't even have, unless you count the ones people created FROM it

To make a long story very, very short, one of the main points of the game is to subvert the inherent disconnect players have from being immersed due to a save/load system. The game attempts to make it clear very early on that saving/loading is something that actually affects the ingame world- one character in particular explicitly remembers what you did before you loaded a file and others may have moments of deja-vu, dialogue and text boxes may change, etc. The purpose of this is to craft a narrative where you can never make it so an action never happened- if you screw up, you can go back and [i]fix[/i] it, but it will [i]always be something that happened[/i]. This means that every choice the player makes [i]actually matters[/i] because that action will always be canonical within that player's game. It means that there's not really a such thing as doing multiple playthroughs of Undertale- because every other playthough you've ever done is still something that happened. This is why you get so many people that complete a pacifist run and then stop playing entirely- it becomes impossible, in-game, to justify doing so, and out-of-game there's the feeling that it's "ruining" the run that you just did.

That's not even getting into the additional themes of exploring the the tension between game-playing and immersion or stuff like >>340254571 got into, I just picked the above because it's the bit I personally find most interesting.
>>
>>340249546
You're clearly autistic anon, you're proving everyones point.
>>
>>340255161
i wish hard mode came out toby u lazy fuck
>>
>>340255252
>[i][/i]

is this some new, advanced form of bait
>>
>>340255252
Dude, your post would be alright, if it wasn't for such html memecode

wtf
>>
>>340255303
Yes. The kind where I caught my ear on the hook while casting the line and tore it off.

>>340255372
I FUCKED UP I ADMIT IT
>>
>>340255242
Theres no debate to be had about the one sided characters. The only one that had depth was Sans, the rest are cookie cutter garbage.

The music is objectively okay, chiptune for the sake of chiptune in 2016 just means the creator is lazy, which is why no song from Undertale matches his old work.
>>
>>340255240
Wow, I don't want to defend a furfag but that is one retarded post.
>>
>>340255240
>but I absolutely must subject it to others!
except he didn't care about who saw it, he just wanted to be in the game and was perfectly fine with being an obscure secret off-the-beaten-path. from what he writes, he actually expected it to take longer for people to find him.

anyway toby has since addressed it

http://fwugradiation.tumblr.com/post/143231885346/about-sam-so-sorry
http://samael.tumblr.com/post/143242266375/undertale-so-sorry-conclusion
>>
>>340249083
Sounds like every traditional JRPG, but with better combat
>>
>>340255242
Even if the character do get gradually better over time, I still never liked them all that much. They're good for an initial chuckle, but completely tiring later on when the shit hits the fan.
>>
>>340255303
it's the great tumblr furfaggot invasion of 2016
>>
>>340255473
>except he didn't care about who saw it, he just wanted to be in the game
>he just wanted to be in the game

Why did a gross fetish character absolutely need to be in the game?
>>
>>340255581
I swear this summer will be Summer Camp

BITCH
>>
>>340255586

because he paid for it
>>
>>340255416
Why do you post like a faggot?
>>
>>340255437
>The only one that had depth was Sans
And Flowey
And Asgore
>>
>>340252320
I actually started playing UT tonight because I wanted to watch his review but he said it's best to experience it blind first. I heard it's not that long so I'm gonna try to do it in one sitting.

Johnny really is one of my favorite youtubers.
>>
>>340249083
Who gives a shit at this point? Everything that could be said about this game has already been said.
>>
>>340255660
He should have accepted the refund. When the game's creator comes to you and asks you "hey, why don't we not do this" (and I sincerely doubt anyone had to be poisoned against this clearly oblivious fetishist, btw) it's a good cue to fuck off.
>>
>>340255252
>To make a long story very, very short, one of the main points of the game is to subvert the inherent disconnect players have from being immersed due to a save/load system.

KEK UNDERTALE FANS LADIES AND GENTLEMEN
>>
>>340255718
It's been nine months and people still haven't gotten it out of their systems.
>>
>>340255676
Asgore is ruined by the game's preachy "mommy is always right" undertones. He did nothing wrong. Certainly did more than Toriel.
>>
>>340255780

The character was his "selfsona", so he was the kind of autist who wanted everyone to see it.
>>
>>340255882
>he was the kind of autist who wanted everyone to see it

Of course, he was a furry. That's how they all are. He should've been told no.
>>
>>340255831

He right about that though
>>
>>340252831
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co5Zo6Ng9-c
>>
>>340255872
>He did nothing wrong.
That's the point. During the whole game you hear horrible things about him, and, in fact, he did bad things (killing humans).

But he also was a good monster for his people, from him being Santa, to him just wanting to give hope and joy to the monsters because they needed it.

He sacrificed the joy he had (his wife) for his people. Of curse Toriel didn't approve his actions, and, by some neutral endings, is clear that Toriel isn't right, she can't rule the Monsters with her tender attitude. The monster world was so dependent to Asgore's hopes and illusions.
>>
>>340255437
Couldn't remember the characters name but Toriel's son who was Flowey had a lot going for him
Also In a game that is designed as a 16 bit game is lazy? That's part of the style. music he did for Homestuck also had chiptunes,
>>
File: 1451702573808.png (499 KB, 620x763) Image search: [Google]
1451702573808.png
499 KB, 620x763
>>340256014
>Tumblr Universe
don't do that
>>
>>340255676
Flowey is literally the ''nicest guy you'll ever meet/twisted fucking psychopath'' stereotype that uses its 4rth wall breaking abilities to ''scare'' the player

Asgore has no depth what-so-ever, you walk up to him, he's nice but he's gotta kill you because barrier.
>>
It's weird to see how triggered a lot of /v/ gets when games that are pretty much dead are brought up.

What was the point of this thread being made? Is there anything that needs to be said about this game that hasn't been said already?
>>
>>340249083
Pacifist messages can get tired in media, but I think the important difference is that Frisk gets told to not kill, AND to not let himself be killed.

It's pretty bad what happened to Asriel, but a small part of it was also how he naively went along with Chara's scheme instead of resisting earlier, before it was too late. All it takes for evil to take power is for good people to let it happen.
>>
>>340250293
I pretty much agree with the majority of this.
It didn't really hit me too much during my play through but it the more I reflected on the game the more it's faults really became apparent. It's like the whole thing takes a giant nosedive after Waterfall until the Hotel.

The Alphys stuff and the weirdness surrounding Ariel and Chara don't lend any favors to the plot. I'd rather the game spent more time on silly one off encounters like Muffet than the "befriend this arcs character after hearing our their issues and going on a date" formula it fell into. Especially when each was worse than the last.

The games strength was really its battles and side dialogue, so it's weird that everyone seems to talk about its plot, characters and messages more than anything else. They were fine but not fantastic, and though I got some good chuckles out of them I really wouldn't call Undyne or Flowey well written characters I wanted to be friends with.
>>
Reminder that Undertale becomes much better if you accept the fact that Chara wasn't evil and that her spirit is the narrator.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160526023417/http://thefloweryfanclub.tumblr.com/post/143284030397/greetings-uh-so-ive-been-working-on-this
>>
>>340256269
>I'll just break characters down into memes to make them sound completely generic
>>
File: 1453666466683.png (134 KB, 450x675) Image search: [Google]
1453666466683.png
134 KB, 450x675
>>340256319
>le Chara is evil meme and muh preshus babbu Asriel dindu nuffin
when will this meme die
>>
>>340255780
>He should have accepted the refund.
I hope next time you are looking for a job, they 'refund' you your worthless resume and tell you 'better luck elsewhere'
>>
File: image.png (112 KB, 475x567) Image search: [Google]
image.png
112 KB, 475x567
>>340256260
>likes memetale
>hates esteban tumblrverse
I mean, what they posted was disgusting, but come on nigger
>>
>you will never stop seeing retards comparing this game to Earthbound

They're so completely different in terms of writing and story that it honestly just pisses me off to see, because it makes it really obvious the shitposter has never played either game. It's low effort bait.
>>
>>340255882
>so he was the kind of autist who wanted everyone to see it.
except he didn't... that's why his encounter is the hardest one to find
>>
>>340256269
About Asgore, there is more about him, check >>340256192

About Flowey, it seems you only got one ending, right?

Flowey clearly had an story arc, he didn't got psychopath just because. He is like that because he just got bored of the world. Countless and countless of time travel made him like that, since he practically saw every consequence he could make from his actions.

He got so bored, he tried to kill itself, but the Determination that Alphys gave him denied it.

Is when he finds you when his whole world changes, and he finds joy again by playing with you. His whole motive is to make you play, because without you his whole world fades. Uses your own Determination to push you, he becomes your obstacle to keep you playing.
>>
File: 1451343448235.png (576 KB, 746x1426) Image search: [Google]
1451343448235.png
576 KB, 746x1426
>>340256609
I don't like undermeme, I just like Chara
>>
>>340255780
From what I heard he's part of the furry mafia(not joking) and has ruined games like a kaiju fighter, by also buying a spot for his fetish creature and making it invincible
>>
>>340256685
The Flowey stuff would have been a lot more effective if he was involved with any of the game outside the beginning and end, and if it wasn't chopped up between 3 different endings.

Also if there wasn't an innocent little boy who might as well be a completely different character trapped inside of him.
>>
>>340256903
>innocent
no
>>
>>340256685

>>340256192 That is not character, especially since it never happens in the game, all monsters talk about Asgore as a nice guy except Toriel and that's about it, ''hurr the struggle'' is about as barren as you can get because the game already tells you that Asgore got 6 souls and that he's struggling to keep the morale high while breaking them out of Underground so there's nothing to look foward to when you do fight him, he isn't built up, he is laid there for you to read like an open book in the first moments of the game, and in the end he's just that, a nice guy that feels like he needs to kill you
>>
File: Susie.png (139 KB, 387x467) Image search: [Google]
Susie.png
139 KB, 387x467
>>340256319
>Pacifist messages can get tired in media

I couldn't have said it better myself. Nowadays there's just too many things being thrown in the ether saying:

>"It'll be alright"
>"Keep moving forward"
>"Do the right thing."

And this may entirely just be me, but I don't really care for these messages that have been retreaded without meaning anymore. Remember when people rejected the world? There were novels, poetry, art, and movies that told a message of life not being fair and you are the god of your own world. I find the painfully truth of reality much endearing than the blue pill society we live in today with the rise of the various media.

It's when we fall down on our backs and kicked in our faces where we able to make a choice whether or not the world is deserving of affirmation.
>>
>>340257073
Fuck off CharaPoster
Your waifu is a mass murderer with a God complex
>>
>>340257073
>He didn't get the good ending.
>>
AS LONG AS THIS GAME EXISTS UNDERTALE WILL NEVER BE GOOD

:V

STEP IT UP
>>
File: image.jpg (144 KB, 619x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144 KB, 619x600
>>340256749
Interesting
>>
>>340257146
>That is not character, especially since it never happens in the game

is this bait, nigga?
>>
>>340257170
No not really, you just perceive the ''life is terrible'' meme as being more true than the ''believe in yourself'' trope because you're too jaded to see either sides
>>
File: IMG_2062.jpg (23 KB, 380x380) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2062.jpg
23 KB, 380x380
>>340257195
https://web.archive.org/web/20160526023417/http://thefloweryfanclub.tumblr.com/post/143284030397/greetings-uh-so-ive-been-working-on-this

Chara just made a mistake, you are the real mass murderer.
>>
>>340257324
All monsters talk about Asgore as a nice guy except Toriel and that's about it, ''hurr the struggle'' is about as barren as you can get because the game already tells you that Asgore got 6 souls and that he's struggling to keep the morale high while breaking them out of Underground so there's nothing to look foward to when you do fight him, he isn't built up, he is laid there for you to read like an open book in the first moments of the game, and in the end he's just that, a nice guy that feels like he needs to kill you
>>
>>340257295
Lisa is also good though
>>
>>340249245
I'm not OP, but it's really not that good, trust me, the creator just isn't very talented at anything, he's a loser with a tumblr blog and the game reflects that.
>>
>>340257340
>Misreading the meta shit about "I might be a psychopath but you're the one who grinded and leveled me up" so badly you write a college thesis
>>
>>340257325
Do you see both sides?
>>
>>340257491
More like there's more evidence showing that Chara is still a good person who made some mistakes like everyone else in the game.
>>
>>340257146
It's backstory to the character, and does happen in game since it was mentioned in Undertale and not tacked on afterwards.
>>
>>340257214
I got the "good" ending and it was a complete load of shit. Fuck off with your "muh asriel dindu nuffin" meme propaganda.

>>340257195
The only person that Chara literally actually canonically killed is herself. Keep living the meme, though, you deluded goat-worshipping faggot
>>
>>340257534
Yeah, personally both views hold water in whatever story they take place, whether they work or don't depends on if the source material was any good to begin with
>>
>>340249083
I couldn't get all the way through it personally.

The art is absolute shit and the game looks like complete garbage, visually, compared to other games like Fez, Braid, Super Meat Boy, and any other 'indie darling' it gets placed on a pedestal with.

Despite being so empty the game still has amateur design inconsistencies with missing sound effects, arbitrary text windows and prompts that only appear under arbitrary circumstances (choosing the correct answer to a puzzle presents a prompt while the incorrect answer fails immediately with no prompt, some areas use a text box with the word "click" while later areas actually play a sound, but still include the box, as if the creator found a sound byte halfway through development and never put it in the previous areas).

The story is poor, and completely lacks any momentum by the time the second act comes around. I actually just uninstalled it after leaving Snowden because of how staggeringly boring the game is and because the game just expects you to keep walking left while the story takes a break.

$10 is way too much to ask for, for this boring and pointless game that no one will care about in a year.
>>
>>340257642
backstory is not character, it's what it is, backstory, and as a character there is no struggle because we don't see Asgore's reluctant side to the whole thing because everyone else that talks about him is happy and hopeful, neither the whole ''6 souls'' thing is treated as a horrible thing except by Toriel, that doesn't talk about it other than warning you about Asgore
>>
File: 1452400615539.jpg (108 KB, 620x507) Image search: [Google]
1452400615539.jpg
108 KB, 620x507
>>340257316
I don't really see what's interesting about it but okay
>>
>>340257679
>The only person that Chara literally actually canonically killed is herself.
So his/her soul could be possessed by Ariel, cross the barrier and give them the superpowers necessary to take his/her vengeance on humanity for whatever the hell s/he climbed the mountain for.

Also please don't talk about canon stories in a game where the context behind everything involves two characters who've experienced time travel and all the possible endings to the adventure. The whole thing leans so heavily on the fourth wall that implying the Genocide run is any less a part of the story than the Pacifist run is complete bullshit.

>>340257632
All that evidence like the tapes of him laughing at his poisoned father, manipulating his family, every line of dialogue Asriel ever said about him, only being the proper player character in the "kill everyone" run and having glowing demon eyes?
>>
>>340257679
Chara was a dick though.
Poisoned asgore for the lulz.
Bullied Asriel.
Dominated him after she died.

Asriel got poured into Flowey and that was fine-ish limbo for a while until he was tortured by the dyke scientist.

He didn't dindu nuffin, but he also had motivations and things you could empathize with.
>>
genuinely enjoyed it, but it's a weird game.
It makes up for a severe lack of gameplay depth by cramming in 4th wall / comedy / drama, and giving the limited gameplay some impact on the game.
I kept thinking... yknow...there could be a much better puzzle or game mechanic here, give me something else to do than just talk to ppl. .. but man I really like this world and the characters...
Undertale had a few good gameplay moments, but that was it, a few. It's just a different take on the medium, for better or worse. Some games give you plenty to do, but they're still somehow boring as shit.
>>
frankly I wish I didn't play the game, it was a lot of fun seeing /v/ talk about it while not knowing the context for many of those things

Also, I was disappointed by how dumb Undyne is
>>
>>340258692
Personally

Now that I know what Undertale failed on and succeeded, I can make my OWN Undertale-killer

Mark my words
>>
>>340253123
>I've never played Earthbound for more than like 20 minutes, so I can't really say I have the full context as far as the story goes.

What? Undertale and Earthbound aren't connected at all. Why would you think that?
>>
>>340258692
People are tired of games and want companionship.
>>
>>340258850
He's talking about Undertale lifting things from EarthBound
>>
>excessively preachy and annoying
You're looking at it from the wrong angle. The game isn't telling you that it's wrong to fight, even in self-defense; it's telling you that if you have the power to turn back time, no fighting or killing you do can be justified as self-defense. It was kinda interesting.
Got a bit too Saturday Morning with Asriel though.
>>
>>340258167
Yes. Chara is the narrator of the game. That's why it switches to being 1st person when you go through the genocide route. Read the goddamned post I linked, it goes in ridiculous detail about all that shit.

1. Laughing at a bad situation is not like "laughing at her father's poisoning." It was making light of a bad situation, it's a common coping mechanism.
2. Chara still loved her family. She made Asgore a sweater, and was a good friend to Asriel, even if she was a bit of a bully.
3. You teach Chara that Asriel's decision to stop the attack on the humans was completely wrong in the genocide route, that's why she lashes out and destroys him in this route, because you've taught her that nothing deserves mercy, sort of like the Batter in OFF trying to turn off the switch at the end. In the pacifist run, she's happy and friendly, the descriptions are nice. In the genicide route, she's no-nonsense and bitter.
>>
>>340259054
You have to keep pushing for the saturday morning though.

The meta knowledge that it's a game and a better ending is waiting there kinda ruins it.
>>
What I don't understand is how Undertale attracted so many autists, aside from the love/tolerate angle to everything and the possible connection to the Homestuck/EarthBound fanbases, unlike pone and Sonic, the characters are all different from each other, so there's no room for OC donut steels

Can someone list me on why Undertale is appealing to those people?
>>
File: af7.jpg (61 KB, 573x619) Image search: [Google]
af7.jpg
61 KB, 573x619
>people are still talking about this game

just let it fade into obscurity please
>>
File: 1451860556968.png (70 KB, 540x491) Image search: [Google]
1451860556968.png
70 KB, 540x491
>>340258167
>implying Chara could possibly have known that she would be able to control Asriel in any way
what is this big fuckin meme you're telling me
Chara's just some little girl who had a shit life, not some evil scheming genius chessmaster who can see a million events into the future
what the fuck is wrong with you

>>340258350
>Bullied Asriel
If you're referring to the lab tapes then you're reaching so hard that I can't even begin to take you seriously.
If you're referring to goat cuckboy's remarks at the end: Asriel has literally no reason to not lie about Chara, considering she's dead and can't speak in her own defense.

>he also had motivations and things you could empathize with
So did Chara, at least if you ask me.
What are you trying to prove here, exactly, my man

tl;dr Undertale is mostly a big fuckin propaganda piece designed to make Asriel look like some infallible Jesus-allegory babbu in the eyes of the average idiot who only ever plays the pacifist route. Toby Fox is a big faggot Iraqi Jew who has already ran off with his 19 million dollars and will never update the game again. A big meme, a big scam, a big joke, and the joke is on us.
>>
>>340259237
>Can someone list me on why Undertale is appealing to those people?

You literally said why, in your post. It was made by a dude with a connection to Homestuck, so that fanbase clung to it.
>>
>>340249083
The whole game shoots down it's own message by making pacifism literally the easiest thing in the game.
It also commits the forbidden sin of rotating and tweening low-rez sprites, which is both lazy and looks disgusting.
>>
DUDE META LMAO
>>
>>340259237
The breaking of the 4th wall plot makes people feel smart
>>
>>340259508
I think Homestuck had the same Sonic/Pone thing for the OCs, but since I don't know anything about Homestuck other that people obscessed over the grey-skinned demons I still think it's something else, a variety of elements
>>
did pacifist run, then genocide run up until sans, got bored and quit

pacifist starts out being an extremely boring, hokey game up until the secret lab, where it becomes one of the more interesting rpgs ive played in recent memory and the overwhelmingly saccharin writing stops being such a problem

i dont know if that in itself is a problem or not, because i think being so completely bored up until then, when things do start happening, you may experience a sharp realization that 'maybe these shitty characters arent so bad, all things considered' and you snap out of it and realize you've just played something that i guess i'd call 'special'

the music is about the only thing about it i'd call genuinely good while the rest of whatever praise i give the game is to it defying my expectations a few times

but i feel like i only felt the things that i felt because i'd felt them before, and the game was only reminding me of those feelings by striking the same chords, like wiggling a sore tooth
anyway whatever
>>
>>340260410
>but i feel like i only felt the things that i felt because i'd felt them before, and the game was only reminding me of those feelings by striking the same chords, like wiggling a sore tooth
anyway whatever

You summed up Undertale pretty well right there
>>
>>340255831
nice memes anon
>>
>read everywhere Genocide Undyne is insanely hard
>beat it on my 4th try

I think I might be good at video games.
>>
>>340257340
really good analysis here
>>
>>340249083
>is excessively preachy and annoying
A bit like you
>>
>>340264104
Triggered Undershit fan detected. Go yiff in hell with goat mom.
>>
here we go again
>>
>>340261458
In the entire game only Sans and maybe Asgore are actually hard. Everything else is mainly fucking around.
>>
File: 1gtKiqL.png (32 KB, 165x274) Image search: [Google]
1gtKiqL.png
32 KB, 165x274
>check /vg/ thread
>nothing but gayposters, goatposters and some weird alternate universe fanfictions

what the fuck happened
>>
>>340264536
Collective autism is a sight to behold
>>
>>340264536
Sometimes I wonder why that board is the way it is, and why everytime someone makes one thread after the other about a subject you get told to make a /vg/ general, like, vidya discussion you guys, but not the same vidya or else nana will get mad
>>
>>340264536
neomillennials.
alaskans.
australians.
>>
>>340264834
/vg/ is literally a trash can, it's not surprising it's the way it is
>>
Another Undertale thread tainted by autism and turn into a shit storm upon someone expressing a different opinion. Oh /v/ never fucking change
>>
>>340250293
I only disagree with the comment on Sans. IIRC, the laziness was nihilistic because of the reset timelines and he only intervened when he knew everyone's literal existence was in danger.
Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 27

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.