[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there people who actually think banjo was better than Mario 64?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 14
File: atomix_mario64_banjo_kazooie.png (384 KB, 940x400) Image search: [Google]
atomix_mario64_banjo_kazooie.png
384 KB, 940x400
Are there people who actually think banjo was better than Mario 64?
>>
>>340206128
Yeah, people with taste.
>>
>>340206128
Well, it was
>>
>Mario 64
>Starts rehashing content halfway through the game
>Graphics look bland and lifeless
>Music is a cluttered mess with a few good tracks
>Mario controls like he is on ice
>Final boss is a rehash of the other boss fights

>Banjo-Kazooie
>Every world is original and memorable
>Starts you out with plenty of moves with tons more to learn throughout the game
>Dialogue is funny and appeals to a large audience
>Banjo controls perfectly
>Every song on the soundtrack is 10/10
>Final boss tests everything you learned throughout the game and is actually challenging

Mario 64 is actually terrible. Go back and play it and you'll want to throw up.
>>
>>340206128
I think they are both good
>>
All Mario games are mediocre at best. I regard anyone who enjoys the series with silent scorn, and I cannot understand how it became the staple Nintendo franchise over Star Fox or Metroid or Kirby.
>>
Banjo Kazooie has superior controls, music, levels and doesn't repeat boss fights. DK64 is actually better than Mario 64 in every way possible.
>>
>>340208248
Star Fox only had like one good game, hardly a staple franchise.
>>
Banjo was definitely the better game, but mario is pretty much genre defining and one of the greatest moments of my childhood in terms of gaming. Picking up the controller for the first time after begging my mom to buy me an n64 for months was pure magic.

Still, BK is definitely better and aged MUCH better. Controls are smoother, music's better, levels are more diverse and interesting, and best of all you don't get kicked out of the level every time you get a jiggly
>>
File: 1462849444696.jpg (9 KB, 250x227) Image search: [Google]
1462849444696.jpg
9 KB, 250x227
>>340208248

>calls mario mediocre
>mentions starfox and kirby as good
>>
Reminder that if you think Click Clock Wood was the best level you're a pleb.
>>
>>340208540
Treasure Trove Cove a best. That view from the very top of the island, when the music goes all quiet is the stuff dreams are made of
>>
>>340208540
Rusty Bucket Bay is the best level.
>>
>>340206128
I love Mario 64, but Banjo is better in literally every way IMO.
>>
>>340206128

mario is more fun to run around and move in

Banjo is more fun to explore I guess. Never finished it. Got to spooky manor and just kinda dropped it
>>
But the other Banjo game was shit
>>
Did you guys see this shit?
I'm actually tearing up because this is so good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1gxLvbX3Ow&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>340206128
i liked them both :)
>>
>>340209127
No, anon
Nobody saw it in the past 9 hours or so
>>
>>340209273
I was at work, just came home and a friend showed this to me and it made my day infinitely better
>>
>>340206128
>Banjo-Kazooie
>use a render from Tooie

These kind of people are hardly qualified to discuss topics like this if they can't even do simple shit like make/find accurate graphics.
>>
>>340206128
Both suck, good platformers are 2d
>>
File: shocking lifts.webm (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
shocking lifts.webm
3 MB, 480x360
Imagine being so delusional that you think Banjo Kazooie is better than SM64.
>>
Literally the only thing better about Banjo was its music.
>>
Imagine being so delusional that you think SM64 is better than Banjo Kazooie.
>>
>>340209127
I had my assumptions that it was basically going to be Banjo 3, and I am glad to be correct.
>>
>>340209621
That's a flat out lie because there's at least one better thing about that game, being the fact that you don't get kicked out of the level whenever you complete a mission
>>
>>340209454
>hold right
>jump
i can't get enough of this compelling gameplay.
>>
Imagine being so delusional that you can't enjoy both.
>>
>>340208540
Treasure Trove for Kazooie
Bitchyworld for Tooie
>>
>>340209712
I do enjoy both.

But clearly SM64 is better.
>>
>>340206128
I honestly don't think it's even a fair comparison because they're only really similar on the surface. You could describe them both as collectathon platformers, but they focus on different aspects.
SM64 is all about the platforming part and the entire game is built around it. You have a bunch of different jumps and moves you can string together to move around quickly and it's not broken up with minigames or lots of NPCs to talk to. It's just purely about navigating the level and reaching the star.
Banjo on the other hand emphasises the collectathon aspect. The movement isn't nearly as fluid as it is in SM64 and you don't have as many options for navigation, but it makes you take in the level and explore all the nooks and crannies to get everything. The levels are a lot more involved, there are a lot of varied challenges and NPCs to break up the action and it's generally more atmospheric.
I like both of them a lot.
>>
>>340208747
We got a sadist right here. I am a sucker for Treasure Trove Cove. There was something magical about the Xmas level too.
>>
>>340209824
/thread
>>
>>340208747
I loved Rusty Bucket Bay. Everything but that fucking fan room.
>Playing for the first time in awhile
>Collect everything before the fanroom
>Die crossing one of the fans

That music tho.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfgZOTuu6J0
>>
>>340208540
Fuck you, I like Click Clock Wood. That level's song is permanently stuck in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXoaTcf_3vo
>>
>>340210070
Fuck the fan room and fuck the toxic water
>>
>>340209968
>>340209801
>Treasure Trove
MAH NIGGAS
There's something about the vertical levels in the banjo games. The more vertical a level is, the more memorable it is

>>340210070
Man, at some point, like, 5-6 years after I traded away my n64 for a PSX like a dolt, I got a song stuck in my head, and I could not, for the life of me, figure out what it was. Then, one day, I'm playing BK on an emulator and I get to Rusty Bucket Bay, and there it was, like a lost dog that managed to find its way home after years in the streets.
>>
>>340207835
I agree with everything but the Mario 64 music. Almost every track was fantastic.
>>
>>340209824
Sorry that you replied with sound logic in a bait thread
>>
File: 173162734.jpg (23 KB, 242x208) Image search: [Google]
173162734.jpg
23 KB, 242x208
>meanwhile DK64 sits in it's corner, given no attention.
I loved that game, I don't care how sub par it was, it was a ton of fun.
>>
>>340207835
Most of these complaints about M64 are subjective, I for one really liked the music and the graphics, but some things are just retarded, particularly the bowser fights. I wonder if nintendo got the idea for mario party's playstyle from those boss fights. Nothing fun about spinning a fat piece of shit dinosaur and throwing him into an explosive ball
>>
>>340206128
Mario 64 is like a tech demo for a 3d platformer. Even most of its levels look like test stages.

BK is actually a fully realized and polished game

I still like both though.
>>
Banjo was a lot more finished/polished. I think M64 probably had better physics but Banjo has it beat in just about everything else.
>>
>>340210536
I was very excited for it as a kid, but it was overwhelming, honestly. Too much collecting, the game just kind of collapsed under its own weight, it felt impossible to complete.
>>
>>340207835

>banjo controls perfectly

this is a joke, right? The backflip is slow as FUCK, the swimming is terrible, and the beak dash is slow too
>>
File: Tater Anxiety.gif (992 KB, 500x280) Image search: [Google]
Tater Anxiety.gif
992 KB, 500x280
>>340206128
Mario 64
>-some of the later stages felt a bit unfinished
>+had a simple but cool aesthetic
>+shit starts immediately: you can play around as much as you want beforehand, but it's up to you
>+some crazy platforming in 3D if you wanted to 100% the game
>+enormous and varied world that felt cohesive
>(?) The shit people do to speedrun this game and otherwise fuck with it is autistic but also amazing

Banjo Kazooie
>-less (and much less involved) platforming compared to Mario
>-not all the transformations were fun to control
>+collectathons are fun, and this was one of the best of ALL time
>+controlling banjo and kazooie themselves was pretty great
>+enormous and varied world that felt cohesive
>(?) had cool ingame mysteries/lore with the Ice key and stuff even if they had horribly disappointing payoffs years later

Can't I love them both?
>>
people who prefer mario 64 enjoy actual videogames

People who prefer BK enjoy being dazzled by bullshit
>>
>>340210697
Movement in Banjo is like fucking molasses.
>>
>>340210661
I'd agree with that. You definitely had to take it slow. Stuff like Banana Fairies became a little overwhelming what with the fact they are unlocked like 1/3rd of the way through the game and you have to backtrack and find all the shitters again.

For a lot of the levels the design wasn't the best, (or it wasn't designed for fun but for length) and you had to go through the same exact corridor as 4 different Kongs. It definitely takes some determination to 100% the game, but I enjoyed it enough for it to be worth it.
>>
>>340210707
>Mario's world felt cohesive
How so? It felt incredibly disjointed, because of the whole paintings thing
>>
>>340209517
Most people weren't Melee-tier autistic enough to exploit SM64's physics like that.

Otherwise every other point about Banjo>Mario is true.
>>
>>340210536
If it was more streamlined it would be a better game.
>Enter area
>Lanky Bananas
>Chunky Bananas
>Dixie balloon
>Puzzle only Diddy can solve or something

There's just too much backtracking to make it enjoyable. If you made it that anyone can collect anyone's bananas/golden bananas but kept Kong-specific puzzles it would be a much better game.
>>
>>340206128
they do very different things

those people would, objectively, be wrong but the games are so different the question is kind of meaningless
>>
>>340211238
If swapping between characters wasn't a chore, that would also be great. Might've also made for more interesting gameplay too
>>
File: 1450312440031.gif (966 KB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1450312440031.gif
966 KB, 200x150
>>340207835
>Mario controls like he is on ice
why would you lie about this
and worse yet why would the underagefags not spot it
>>
>>340210656
When you've mastered the actual acceleration and little tricks, yeah it's crazier.

If not, it handles floatier and slippier than a Mario game should.
>>
>>340211189

I think you need to look up what the word autistic actually means
>>
>>340211238
I agree with the golden banana note. There were a few times where it felt like they just ran out of ideas and needed to add another banana for a certain Kong, so they just hid it behind a pressure plate.
>>340211369
Combining this, too, you could totally use Kongs in conjunction with one another and it would make it feel more like you were playing as the family of Kongs together and not as just one Kong.

Honestly I'd love to see a sequel with some corrections done
>>
>>340206128
To this day Super Mario 64 is still having content found.
Even this year there has many several new things found in SM64, but you never hear anything about Banjo.
Sure there was the whole Stop 'n' Swop, which was never really implemented yet referenced in Nuts and Bolts.
>>
>>340209517
My issue with a webm like this is that while mario's natural movement is very pleasant, you cannot reach such a level of fluid movement in a level like that without practicing it somewhat. Sure you can do the triple jump or sidejump fast enough, but that webm is a poor point to try to bring across because almost nobody plays on such a high level
>>
>>340206128
I wouldn't say Banjo was better, but it was more cohesive.

Super Mario 64 all the worlds felt disjointed, not connected, and some of them were way out there and really made no fucking sense at all.

With Banjo Kazooie everything makes sense, everything is connected, you don't go to a floating puzzle in the sky ever. Does that make it better than Super Mario 64? I don't know. Does it help the narrative? Certainly.
>>
>>340211376
He's talking about the ice levels.
>>
>>340211485
What new things are those? And don't you say QPU shit because the only reason that stuff works is because of limited software and hardware
>>
>>340211434
the important difference to me is that bouncing around in M64 is in itself fun whereas the plain movement in Banjo is not.
>>
>>340210070
>Replay BK
>Breeze through the game, just having a good time
>Make a mistake in the fan room and die
>Grunty chastises me and says the game's only going to get harder
I made it this far, bitch. Damn.
>>
File: 1457128351150.jpg (38 KB, 510x498) Image search: [Google]
1457128351150.jpg
38 KB, 510x498
>>340211439
I'm sorry you got offended man.
>>
>>340210885
>How so? It felt incredibly disjointed, because of the whole paintings thing

Yeah, but all the different areas felt like part of a single world. Having grown up with Super Mario world/3 I could easily see these things all being right next to each other; that works in a Mario environment; that's how most Mario games are set up. In Super Mario Sunshine you could see some stages from others in the skyboxes. I think if the N64 was capable of it, they would have had this kind of thing in 64 as well.

Mario galaxy on the other hand, now that didn't feel connected at all, even with the first one having a hub world. That makes sense though, the game was literally themed around visiting planets or jumping on shit flying in space.
>>
>>340206128

It's more comfy for sure. Marios all about accomplishing missions. Banjo just tells you to explore and chill out.
>>
>>340211717
True, that physics-flexibility and more actual platforming is about all I feel Banjo's stability and fleshed-out aesthetic is missing.
>>
how the fuck would mario even begin to compare? It was more innovative since it pretty much started the genre, sure, but banjo is better at literally everything, fuck off
>>
>>340208253

Goddamn Mario looks like a painted Michelin Man.
>>
>>340212003
It never really worked all that well for me, there was never a strong connection to me between the ice level and the bob-omb battlefield. It's just 2 levels vaguely attached by the castle.

I still respect your opinions though, anon
>>
>>340212265

Banjo is better at everything except the most important thing in a platformer

The fucking platforming
>>
File: image.jpg (76 KB, 518x790) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76 KB, 518x790
Why do people even talk about B-K?

Tooie is the ultimate 3D platforming experience, both Mario and B-K were made completely obsolete by it.
>>
>>340212003
>they would have had this king of thing in 64 as well

I disagree. It worked in Sunshine because every single level was a play off of the vacation theme. They all looked to be natural parts of a tropical island. The only aspects of that game that seemed out of place were out of place on purpose.

On the other hand, I wouldn't really be able to see any of the 64 levels being interconnected that way. I used to think that places like Bowser's Sub and Dire Dire Docks were similar, but after replaying I no longer think that. They're all just so vastly different.
>>
>>340207835
>my opinion is totally not biased at all
>>
There are people on this site that thinks nuts and bolts is not only a good game, but the best banjo game.
>>
>>340212493

Tooie is a god awful downgrade from bk and you are retarded
>>
>>340208253
DK64 was shit though. Such poor game design. Its music is good though.
>>
File: 1419791473550.png (617 KB, 680x510) Image search: [Google]
1419791473550.png
617 KB, 680x510
>>340212493
>image.jpg
>>
>>340212493
Tooie wasn't a platformer, it was a minigame collection with some jumping in between.
>>
>>340212003
The painting worlds are supposed to be isolated and separate. I don't think the N64's capabilities were the reason you couldn't see Bob-omb Battlefield from Rainbow Ride.
>>
>>340212553
I would like to meet a non rusemeister who believes this
>>
>>340212432

All 3D platformers are shit tier when it comes to the actual platforming. Mario letting you do a bunch of fancy unnecessary maneuvers doesn't make it any different from the rest.
>>
>>340207835
>Banjo controls perfectly
Yeah because he barely moves, the game is great but the actual platforming and navigation is so slow.
>>
>>340211485
People aren't finding new content; they're creating new content using bugs and exploits.
>>
>>340212827
The fancy maneuvers are what lend to Mario 64's longevity. It's inherently fun to try and find new, faster ways to complete the goals by utilizing wall kicks or other techniques. (I'm not talking about going as far as QPUs and upwarps and other hot memes)
Banjo is great, but its adventure is pretty much limited to "you need to backflip here, you need to double jump here". There's no room for experimentation.
>>
>>340211189
>exploit
Sorry, what? Looks like they're just using the moveset that the developers put into the game.
>>
>>340212776
Rusemeister reporting. Nuts and Bolts rocks my cock. If you liked Kazooie or Tooie you can suck my ass until both of your cheeks are balloons.
>>
>muh controls
Banjo was much better then mario in everyway, mario is by no means bad but kazooie was supperior.

Kazooie>mario>tooie>>>>>>>>dk64>shit>conker
>>
>>340213442

Loved the build mechanics of Nuts and Bolts. The actual game part minus the hub world was boring as shit.
>>
They're both fantastic games. Why does one have to be better than the other?

I liked Bomberman 64 the most, though.
>>
>>340207835
>starts rehashing content halfway through the game
or
>game uses enemies through the game and they are new on level 1
Now RPGs reskinning I can understand, but this is bullshit
>>
I think DK64 was better than both.
>>
>>340213987

Shame the first level is so lame. Everything past that is fantastic.
>>
>>340209350
Are you honestly getting triggered over a simple picture? Do you have nothing better to get angry about? Are you a child?
>>
>>340211485
What was found? I haven't played that game in years. Inb4 parallel universes
>>
>>340213353
See >>340211568
>>
>>340211485

Are you seriously comparing engine glitches with Stop and Swop and those sandcastle codes?
>>
>>340212553
It was hard to like, even independently as an E-rated Armored Core.

Nice visuals though, minus the character designs.
>>
>>340211568
But that's a good thing. It means it has replay value and a high skill ceiling. Super Mario 64 is good because of how your freedom in movement scales with your skill level.
>>
>>340210536

Beat it 101% was amazing. Looking back the amount of collections was ridiculous, but as a kid with only 1-2 games to play you couldn't care less
>>
>>340215338
I never said it wasn't, a higher skill ceiling is always better, I'm just saying that that kind of footage isn't indicative of the average player's experience of the game, because the game doesn't demand that kind of excellence from you as opposed to, say, devil may cry, which expects your utmost skill and performance
>>
>>340208540
grunty industries
>>
>>340215517
>devil may cry, which expects your utmost skill and performance
DMC fan here, that's only partially true with bosses/later-enemies, and true for DMD and Bloody Palace. Otherwise the rest aren't too aggressive.

Hell, the ultra-crazy webm's posted in DMC threads reflect the same scenario as that Mario webm.
>>
File: thomas_jefferson_web.jpg (56 KB, 300x247) Image search: [Google]
thomas_jefferson_web.jpg
56 KB, 300x247
>>340211568
>>340215338
It's not even about skill ceiling, At least not directly.

It's a good thing that Mario 64 has such absurd physics, because at the end of the day, it all adds up to a better gameplay. And gameplay is all that matters.

No true N64 fan can go back and play BK as consecutively as Mario because it's too slow.

Oh, you can say "If it was faster" or this or that, until it becomes Mario. But if Banjo was close enough to be comparable to Mario in its physics and controls, then we wouldn't be having this rhetorical conversation. We would already all accept that Mario is the better.
>>
Replaying Tooie made me realize having note nests instead of notes really cut down on the collectable hunting. IDK if that aspect alone is good or bad though, since instead of 100 notes you collect, you only have 16 note nests and 1 Treble clef to collect. The worlds felt a little emptier this way
>>
>>340206128
I fucking love Mario 64's prerendered art
>>
>>340209517
At least they aren't autists that think Sonic Adventure games are better than both.
>>
File: metalmario.jpg (69 KB, 490x599) Image search: [Google]
metalmario.jpg
69 KB, 490x599
>>340217395
>>
File: vp.jpe.jpg (8 KB, 271x186) Image search: [Google]
vp.jpe.jpg
8 KB, 271x186
>>340217972
beautiful. I want to frame it and hang it in my game lounge room
>>
>>340217972
God I love this art
>>
>>340212520
So his opinion is opinionated?
>>
>>340212516
Dire, Dire Docks is the stage with Bowser's sub.

It's a common mistake, but the first water stage, with the sunken ship and the eel, is the one called Jolly Roger Bay, not Dire, Dire Docks.
>>
>>340210697
It controls miles better than Mario 64 though
>>
>>340209517
I really want you to go back and play Mario 64 and genuinely tell me you enjoyed playing it more than Banjo.
Mario 64 is basically you vs the game control wise and stops being fun half way through whereas Banjo controls miles better and manages to stay fresh throughout.
>>
>>340219293
If you have cerebral palsy, sure. Banjo is great for people with stunted motor function.
>>
>>340219659
I mean if you actually enjoy physically fighting against the game in order to play, then yeah, Mario 64 is right up your alley
>>
>>340219659
I like how you're saying its a good thing that Mario 64 controls like ass.
>>
>>340219634
>I really want you to go back and play Mario 64 and genuinely tell me you enjoyed playing it more than Banjo.
What makes you think I don't own both games and haven't played them both recently? I pretty much solely play retro games.
>Mario 64 is basically you vs the game control wise
People who say this are bad at video games.
>>
>>340219769
>>340219976
>Controls and movement are only good when they're shallow enough to master instantly.
Thread replies: 122
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.