[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Hey anon, why don't you put down the No-friendo Lameboy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4
File: 967946794679.gif (389 KB, 467x358) Image search: [Google]
967946794679.gif
389 KB, 467x358
>Hey anon, why don't you put down the No-friendo Lameboy for 5 minutes and try a REAL handheld game system?
>>
>>340134919
Because I prefer not running through enough batteries to buy a new one of those in a week.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mas86QvKU
I always wanted one. The graphics were out of this world.
>>
>>340134919
Videogames are for babies
>>
File: image.jpg (36 KB, 470x313) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36 KB, 470x313
>>340134919
I pick one of these in a garage sale, Best $10 I have a ever spend.

How did this fail so bad? It was really impressive technically for the time. The game boy couldn't even do colour
>>
>>340138619
The game library and it chewed through batteries like a motherfucker
>>
>>340138619
You don't even know. The Lynx kicked the shit out of both gameboy and gamegear, but the battery life was even worse than gamegear.
>>
>>340134919
What are some good GG games? I love both Shinobi games, but that's all I have played.
>>
>>340138619
Battery life was a big deal back then, and rechargeable batteries were also quite primitive.
This raised the question: why bother with a mobile game system if you're going to be tethered to a power socket or pay out the ass for batteries?

You could instead buy an SNES for that and the cost of a game (as most people already had a color television), or you could buy a Gameboy for much less, which had a better library and longer battery life.

Ultimately, the purchase decision was down to parents, and the informed inevitably went for the most cost-effective purchase.
It's the same reason why those shitty Tiger handhelds were so rampant.
>>
>>340139204
True, it's sort of like the Wii U pad actually both in size and purpose. You can play away from the television ( which is nice) but you can't play away from home.
>>
>>340134919
>Gameboy utterly destroys their rivals and handheld is still dominated by Nintendo
It would blow their 90's minds
>>
>>340135878
Wow, talk about a nostalgia bomb. I actually got in on this deal when I was in 5th grade or so. They actually did let you rent a Game Gear.

Unfortunately, Sonic was hard as shit for me as a kid. Moreover, the battery life was absolute garbage, and the hotel obviously didn't give you free batteries.
>>
>>340134919
Fuck you kiddo I come from the future, SEGA is dead
>>
>>340134919
>had gamegear
>died constantly
>got a gameboy color
>played the shit out of pokemon
>years later
>sega is dead
looks like the winner was decided there
>>
>>340138619
Because the game library was limited, and the battery life was terrible. It took 6 batteries just to power it for about 4 hours.
>>
File: cfYy0dV.jpg (299 KB, 1023x1501) Image search: [Google]
cfYy0dV.jpg
299 KB, 1023x1501
The irony of this ad is that it says the Game Gear is built to stand the test of time, but they were all built with defective capacitor that ended up drying out a decade later. These days, most game gears are no longer functional without installing new capacitors, which is a tricking and laborious process (which I did on mine). A lot of systems also suffered from screen rot that can't be repaired.

Even so, it was a pretty kickass handheld. It's too bad they didn't have white LEDs back then, because the fluorescent tube is the real culprit behind the battery life. If you stick an LED back light in there you can triple the battery life.
>>
>>340138619
There's a misconception that the Game Gear was a "failure." In console wars fanboy terms, a failure is any system that did not dominate all of its rivals in the market. In business terms though, the Game Gear was actually a success.

However small its market share was compared to the Gameboy, the Game Gear did manage to secure its own corner of the market and ended up with a massive library of games over the course of its lifespan. Systems live and die by their libraries and the Game Gear did end up with a very solid one, and most of its good games are still pretty cheap to pick up these days.

The Game Gear only "failed" if the expectation was that it was going to "defeat" the Gameboy. Not even Sega had expectations that high for it. 12 million units might not sound like that many, but for an expensive handheld that had notoriously bad battery life and lacked the portability factor of the Gameboy, it did pretty well. It was certainly a more widespread system than any of the handhelds that followed it like the Wonder Swan or Neo Geo Pocket, neither of which ever really achieved mainstream success. Sega was a smaller company that Nintendo, and with that in mind the GG was quite an impressive thing to pull off.

The PSP was the only handheld that truly shattered the Nintendo glass ceiling, and that was a success that even Sony failed to replicate. Something that's easy to forget is that handhelds are actually a pretty niche product, which is easy to forget just because Nintendo's sell so well.
>>
>>340139192
Shining Force, Golden Axe Battler, Halley Wars, Sonic Chaos, and Sonic Triple Trouble are some of the major highlights for the system that aren't ports of Genesis or Master System games.
>>
>that guy with a Phony Playshitstation
>>
>>340138850
>>340142478
The library for the Game Gear was actually really big. 363 games in all. People don't give it any credit just because the Gameboy sold so much more.

Most kids who played the Game Gear away from home ended up getting the rechargeable battery pack. It wasn't an ideal solution but it was better than begging mom and dad for batteries every day.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>340135878
Gotta love that seizure-inducing flash effect that they have to blast all over the screen every time the guy talks. Epilepsy was a delightful surprise that hadn't yet been discovered.

Posting the classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVQ1fP7dNEE
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.